Monaghan Forum

McKenna Cup 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

In my opinion as aforementioned McGuirk was better when moved off McBrearty , Bannigan and Connolly didn't do too much wrong, Freeman and Mealiff got on plenty of ball with the latter getting 2 points if i'm correct, Plenty of options for the kickouts
I think some players had an off day who usually contribute and Monaghan in general not enough movement quite often when we got a free , however i'd more concerned about Duffy's performance and McAdam's who will feature in most games

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 596 - 15/01/2018 15:17:19    2068505

Link

Was at the game wed in blayney and again yesterday - queens were terrible on wed night with Mon up 2.9 to 0-3 at ht - second half was non event and you couldn't really see it for last 20 mins with the fog - you could really take nothing from the match only young fellas making their debuts

yesterday was lively enough especially the 1st half - we had 5 new backs and new keeper - the kickouts were hard to get away with Donegal pushing up plus bit of nerves - Donegal new keeper also struggled the same way
Darren hughes played well , c mc carthy aslo good , jack slow and rusty looking , disappointed with d ward , freeman and bannigan , young Wilson took few bad options in his shooting and is too small and light for this level , defenders got caught running into tackles and least 3 of Donegal goals came from swift counter attacks from turnovers - B kerr was decent enough - mc guirk and mealiff tried hard - jack missed a peno from the 2nd half throw in and bannigan missed one at the end - overall not much really to take from these games

need drew wylie , walsh , K Hughes , mc anespie , doogan , mc manus back for the Mayo game - the last 5 named havnt played at all so don't know their status - k hughes is abroad I believe - ryan wylie and k o connel played wed night and eoin duffy came on yesterday

overall we have used 32 players in the mc kenna cup with 11 debutants given out

monaghan by all accounts have done very little work before xmas compared to last season when they started in early Nov - first game v mayo will be a battle between 2 rusty teams in Jan

FrankAnnyalla (Monaghan) - Posts: 307 - 15/01/2018 17:27:34    2068540

Link

Replying To FrankAnnyalla:  "Was at the game wed in blayney and again yesterday - queens were terrible on wed night with Mon up 2.9 to 0-3 at ht - second half was non event and you couldn't really see it for last 20 mins with the fog - you could really take nothing from the match only young fellas making their debuts

yesterday was lively enough especially the 1st half - we had 5 new backs and new keeper - the kickouts were hard to get away with Donegal pushing up plus bit of nerves - Donegal new keeper also struggled the same way
Darren hughes played well , c mc carthy aslo good , jack slow and rusty looking , disappointed with d ward , freeman and bannigan , young Wilson took few bad options in his shooting and is too small and light for this level , defenders got caught running into tackles and least 3 of Donegal goals came from swift counter attacks from turnovers - B kerr was decent enough - mc guirk and mealiff tried hard - jack missed a peno from the 2nd half throw in and bannigan missed one at the end - overall not much really to take from these games

need drew wylie , walsh , K Hughes , mc anespie , doogan , mc manus back for the Mayo game - the last 5 named havnt played at all so don't know their status - k hughes is abroad I believe - ryan wylie and k o connel played wed night and eoin duffy came on yesterday

overall we have used 32 players in the mc kenna cup with 11 debutants given out

monaghan by all accounts have done very little work before xmas compared to last season when they started in early Nov - first game v mayo will be a battle between 2 rusty teams in Jan"
R McAnespie played full game yesterday for UUJ in their defeat by Down.

Shelbourne (Monaghan) - Posts: 567 - 15/01/2018 17:46:54    2068542

Link

FrankAnnyalla - interesting to hear they're late starting this year compared to last. Snaffling wins in Kerry and Mayo at the early stages of the league last year was vital in keeping us up. Mightn't be so 'easy' this year.

According to the homepage we'll be without both Hughes for the game, midfield options limited straightaway. Any chance we could get a jersey to T.Bowe....

I can't see Mansy playing much part in the early stages at least, based on last years performances, he looked like a player needing a well deserved long break.

Someone asked about McGinn, is he back from injury?

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 307 - 16/01/2018 14:07:44    2068699

Link

when will monaghan name there team for the national league ???

UlsterChamp (Monaghan) - Posts: 17 - 16/01/2018 15:48:56    2068716

Link

Things not looking great ahead of league if one of our main players is unable to inform manager whether or not he will be back from holidays. Not hugely interested in the league as it's the summer that matters but Monaghan are v much a confidence team and hard to see us just turning it on in the summer after a poor league. Maybe malachy has some master plan but sceptical. Supporters might need some patience over next year or two I think.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1260 - 17/01/2018 13:36:08    2068866

Link