Fermanagh Forum

Dr McKenna Cup 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To cillnaile.:  "ErneDevil you response doesn't represent either the vast majority of the squad or the vast majority of supporters' opinion. I agree with BigToeJoe that the manager change was due and not before time. Look at the early positives of Gallagher's influence with the return of one of Fermanagh's renowned players Seamie Quigley and that wouldn't have happened under Gallagher's predecessor. As for the return of Tomas Corrigan, yes I would use him as Fermanagh needs as much skill and experience on Sunday so that Tyrone don't get it easy."
I was happy either way if Pete stayed or went, some of his decisions last year where questionable like when he brought James Mcmahon on as a corn forward. I know the squad was not happy with him and there was no point in him being there unless he had there backing, but it was the way he left which was badly dealt with. There was a meeting before he agreed to stay on which those concerns should have been addressed and they weren't.
Yes Gallagher has got off to a good start long may continue. Yes Seamie would not have got back in under Pete, glad to have him back. The nore players available the better especially those who can score 1.7 in a game. Thomas Corrigan was limping when he walked on to the pitch against queens last week so can't see him playing against tyrone on sunday but hopefully he will be fit to play.

ERNEDEVIL (Fermanagh) - Posts: 27 - 12/01/2018 22:06:23    2068060

Link

That was an awful game to watch

ERNEDEVIL (Fermanagh) - Posts: 27 - 14/01/2018 18:09:58    2068268

Link

Desperate from the ref. What was Kane connors yellows for? In particular the second one. What was Eamos yellow for?

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4797 - 14/01/2018 19:15:53    2068292

Link

When's a trip not a trip .. when it's a fermanagh man tripped
I actually enjoyed that match
Mistakes yes.. lack of points certainly ,.. men still taking too much from ball and making wrong decisions in final 1/4 but much to like .. we have serious defence serious spirit and but for few missed frees from Seamie and some shocking Ref decisions there would be nothing in it
Ref did give us nothing today
We could have been more decisive in attack it was the one element missing
We didn't get a great shift from midfield which was disappointing
I think caddden is the number 1 number 1
Tyrone also gave us a lesson in the dark arts today and we need to learn it and fast
Danny Teague needs serious credit for the shift he put in and Kane Connor needs to know he didn't put a put wrong ... dark arts again I say

AnBuachaillGlas (Fermanagh) - Posts: 286 - 14/01/2018 19:56:41    2068309

Link

Replying To gotmilk:  "Desperate from the ref. What was Kane connors yellows for? In particular the second one. What was Eamos yellow for?"
Kane Connor's first yellow was for grabbing McAliskey and wrestling him to the ground in a headlock. McAliskey easily overpowered him and held him down. It was right in front of the linesman.
The second was for a clear pull, again off the ball, again on McAliskey, right in front of the linesman. Two very clear yellows. Both incidents right in front of me and a Fermanagh man beside me agreed he was silly and deserved the yellows.
Fermanagh came out today pretty pumped up, got involved in plenty off the ball stuff. Tried to stamp their authority on the game. Didn't really have much impact because Tyrone were physically much stronger. First half was ok. Second was awful. Conditions certainly played a part.
Fermanagh set up very Rory Gallagher like. 13-14 behind the ball, try to funnel the opponents into the tackle and counter attack at pace. Now Tyrone do the same. No arguments there however Tyrone can rack up massive scores playing this way as seen last year in Ulster against Gallaghers Donegal, Derry and Down. Do Fermanagh have the players to do this? I'm not so sure. It could work against Div 3 opposition but against better teams and players I can't see it happening.
I really felt sorry for Ryan McMenamin today. Great player and servent too Tyrone but he has been reduced to Rory Gallaghers Maxi Curran. Ordered to run onto the pitch the pitch to break up play and act the edjit. Actually felt sorry for him.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 1267 - 14/01/2018 21:28:27    2068349

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "Kane Connor's first yellow was for grabbing McAliskey and wrestling him to the ground in a headlock. McAliskey easily overpowered him and held him down. It was right in front of the linesman.
The second was for a clear pull, again off the ball, again on McAliskey, right in front of the linesman. Two very clear yellows. Both incidents right in front of me and a Fermanagh man beside me agreed he was silly and deserved the yellows.
Fermanagh came out today pretty pumped up, got involved in plenty off the ball stuff. Tried to stamp their authority on the game. Didn't really have much impact because Tyrone were physically much stronger. First half was ok. Second was awful. Conditions certainly played a part.
Fermanagh set up very Rory Gallagher like. 13-14 behind the ball, try to funnel the opponents into the tackle and counter attack at pace. Now Tyrone do the same. No arguments there however Tyrone can rack up massive scores playing this way as seen last year in Ulster against Gallaghers Donegal, Derry and Down. Do Fermanagh have the players to do this? I'm not so sure. It could work against Div 3 opposition but against better teams and players I can't see it happening.
I really felt sorry for Ryan McMenamin today. Great player and servent too Tyrone but he has been reduced to Rory Gallaghers Maxi Curran. Ordered to run onto the pitch the pitch to break up play and act the edjit. Actually felt sorry for him."
Cool

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4797 - 14/01/2018 22:02:45    2068365

Link

Replying To AnBuachaillGlas:  "When's a trip not a trip .. when it's a fermanagh man tripped
I actually enjoyed that match
Mistakes yes.. lack of points certainly ,.. men still taking too much from ball and making wrong decisions in final 1/4 but much to like .. we have serious defence serious spirit and but for few missed frees from Seamie and some shocking Ref decisions there would be nothing in it
Ref did give us nothing today
We could have been more decisive in attack it was the one element missing
We didn't get a great shift from midfield which was disappointing
I think caddden is the number 1 number 1
Tyrone also gave us a lesson in the dark arts today and we need to learn it and fast
Danny Teague needs serious credit for the shift he put in and Kane Connor needs to know he didn't put a put wrong ... dark arts again I say"
I agree,

I wouldnt be of as strong an opinion regarding both our midfielders shifts yesterday - I think they both put in a good effort but I think with how we are playing against the stronger sides (14 behind the ball) then we will need the 2 lads to be smarter about positioning themselves and reserving the energy to carry us out the field when we inevitably gain turnovers. That was the big missing link for us yesterday, great defensively but couldnt get up the field effectively, and for 2 lads in jones and donnelly that pride themselves on ball carrying, we will need more from them in this system of play.

Pat Cadden 8 Faultless performance, agile, confident and composed both in possession and under the high ball, has to start the league.

Cian McManus 7 Sticks to his task for 70+ minutes and works his socks off. 1 or 2 silly frees conceded but he is growing with game experience at senior level.
Che Cullen 7 McHugh was lively and while Cullen wasn't outstanding, he stuck to the task fairly well, like the rest of Fermanaghs defence.
Kane Connor 6 Needs to learn to strike a better balance if he's going to self style himself into one of those 'in your face/ear', pain in the ass corner backs. Good when he was on the pitch but not cute enough yet to pull it off unfortunately, ended our challenge on 33 minutes with his second yellow.

DeclanMcCusker 8 back to his normal level of performance yesterday. back on the wing but was voacal in organising those around him while leading by example with work rate. decent in possession.
James McMahon 7 Coming back in for his first Fermanagh game this year he done ok. At times took too much of an interest in wrestling with his man but overall he did help our organisation at the back, very vocal and puts himself in the mix when needed.
Lee Cullen 7 Nothing spectacular and probably made a few errors in possession, however his physicality is a real plus for us around the middle 3rd and he is a strong running option from half back - which we will clearly need to get us out the field with the new system we are playing now.

Ryan Jones 7 much better than wednesday night in Ballybofey. used possession a bit better (although couldnt understand why him and the others didnt use the high ball into quigley more often when he had isolated mcgeary) Kicked a good point as well, but we need him fitter/fresher to get us up the field when we defend so deep.

Eoin Donnelly 7 same analysis as for Jones, though he does a lot of needless niggling and wrestling (particularly against Tyrone it seems). Has the ability to give us more getting out of defence but it will take time for the whole squad to adapt to the change not just the 2 lads at midfield.

Barry Mulrone 6 Hugely disappointing yesterday, just didnt look himself. understandably these lads are bound to have days were the level of training and everything else catches up with them. It looked like yesterday was one of those days for Mulrone.
Ryan lyons 6 Has had more chances than most throughout the McKenna cup canmpaign and bar a decent showing against Donegal on Wednesday he has been poor unfortunately in the other games. Anonymous yesterday. Clearly has ability, but needs to show the aggression and drive he showed against Donegal more consistently.
Aiden Breen 7 I questioned previously whether he would sustain that high level of work rate consistently in games. showed the first signs yesterday of being a bit jaded (understandably!) albeit while still being one of our better performers on the day! like the midfield, breen will have to be cuter with energy conservation in matches as we will be looking to him also to carry us up the field in this system.

Daniel Teague 9 Best Fermanagh performer yesterday. There are 2 brown trenches the length of each wing of brewster park after the running this lad did yesterday. Got back so quickly and consistently to block off space and press Tyrones forwards, he got up the pitch well on the turnover brilliantly too. Used possession very well and wasnt at all suprised to see him subbed with cramp mid way through the second half!
Conal Jones 6 I felt very sorry for Jones and Quigley. Anonymous for most of the game but were constantly trying to show out in front and work space for themselves. We didnt let the ball in when we had several opportunities to do so! I presume this was the instruction given but it was clearly frustrating for the 2 lads, as it was for us watching.
Seamie Quigley 6 same analysis as for C Jones. he did receive 1 ball wide into the corner in the second half but was beaten for pace by mcgeary. should have used him better. Hopefully we can still find away to get the best out of him in this new system.

Noteable subs:

Ruairi corrigan looked lievely when introduced, back to doing what he does best, sniffing around break ball and getting the ball up the field, should start ahead of lyons in the league you would imagine.

Eamon McHugh came on which was a relief after he picked up an injury on wednesday evening.

A lot of people will have balked at the football on show yesterday. I thought it was excellent at this early stage under Gallagher to see how we are setting our base up solid, which lets be honest was badly needed after last years concession of scores and gaping defence. With the fitness building gradually and more personnel to come back in, Im sure we'll improve going forward and creating scores. We wont be playing a top 4 side every week in the league so I wouldnt be too critical of yesterdays performance at all. looking forward to Wexford now on the 28th.

RedRum (Fermanagh) - Posts: 257 - 15/01/2018 10:01:58    2068424

Link

No one seemed to explain why Tyrone, with advantage of an extra man in the second half, didn't have a healthier scoreline? Given the redhand's relatively lack lustre showing I doubt if they will retain the McKenna Cup for the 7th time. I was disappointed with the verbal outburst towards the referee and at times towards the linemen when there were children in the crowd listening. On another issue, why were the main gates closed to supporters who had season tickets (and turning up at 1.40pm) when it turned out that the stand was not full as witnessed by all? Also, games should start on time and not like yesterday and even worst last Sunday when the start was held up for nearly 25 minutes to facilitate the local club to show off a minor team which could have been done during the interval?

Coa_gael (Fermanagh) - Posts: 1144 - 15/01/2018 13:16:11    2068473

Link

I am all for having a thight defence. We defended well, for example the goal line clearance which involved included Pat Cadden, Che Cullen and Eoin Donnelly, even when we were a man down we still defend well. Conceding goals last year was an issue which cost us. To lose to tyrone by only four points is a good result its better the thumpings they have handed out to other teams this year already. The better team won on the day.
I would like to see our team kick the ball more often rather than trying to run/ fist pass their way up the feild.
I would also like to see us leave more players up in the forward line, this would leave us more exposed in the backline but we would carry a greater attacking threat. When we did try to counter we had to slow the play down to wait to for runners coming from the back to support the man on the ball allowing tyrone time to get back into their defence shape. Conal and Seamus looked isolated in the forward line. Yesterday with the heavy rain was primed for high balls on top of the square for the likes of Seamie and Conal to try to knock/ flick the ball into the net, When we did try a long ball in they were surrounded by three or four tyrone defenders. Tyrone used the extra man as a sweeper in front of these two.
Bring on the league.

ERNEDEVIL (Fermanagh) - Posts: 27 - 15/01/2018 15:56:57    2068520

Link

Summary of McKenna cup 2018
We can ignore queens result with totally experimental team
After that we played THREE division one teams .. won 2 and kept the third to 8 points with 14 men
Yes we need to work on final quarter but I disagree with some other posters in that we worked it up to final quarter well and consistently but then ran out of ideas and had no confudence or ambition to try and find inside men
Also would have been very tight finish had Seamie put away some kickable frees
Loads of positives and we should be confident of turning over div 3 teams if that play continues
The short term future is bright
And as for delays I blame the bottleneck that is the ticket sales ... same single seller despite fact that 5000+ expected for match

AnBuachaillGlas (Fermanagh) - Posts: 286 - 15/01/2018 18:23:48    2068548

Link

Replying To AnBuachaillGlas:  "Summary of McKenna cup 2018
We can ignore queens result with totally experimental team
After that we played THREE division one teams .. won 2 and kept the third to 8 points with 14 men
Yes we need to work on final quarter but I disagree with some other posters in that we worked it up to final quarter well and consistently but then ran out of ideas and had no confudence or ambition to try and find inside men
Also would have been very tight finish had Seamie put away some kickable frees
Loads of positives and we should be confident of turning over div 3 teams if that play continues
The short term future is bright
And as for delays I blame the bottleneck that is the ticket sales ... same single seller despite fact that 5000+ expected for match"
Good analysis there and the manager should be reasonably happy with the overall McKenna Cup games. If Seamie had to stick the ball in the nets yesterday then Tyrone would have been would have been rattled.
The tickets fiasco and the refusal to let people into the stand area upset quite a lot of fans and the stewards being quite ignorant which didn't help. By the way there was no bottle neck for the Queens game and the game was almost half an hour late held up partly due to some showc\sing by the townie gaels. I sent a complaint today to the Ulster GAA so let's hope that such issues don;t reoccur again.

BigToeJoe (Fermanagh) - Posts: 72 - 15/01/2018 21:01:49    2068579

Link

Anyone know the official attendance from Sunday?

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 1267 - 15/01/2018 21:02:38    2068581

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "Anyone know the official attendance from Sunday?"
4500 seemingly, bit of a round figure though.

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4797 - 15/01/2018 23:41:36    2068610

Link

Pleased with the showing on Sunday. Seamie good tracking back and was impressive movement wise against a wall of defenders. Can see us doing very well in the league against most of div 3. The Ulster teams will provide the biggest test in terms of promotion but home advantage against Armagh/Derry could be vital for us. Still would like to see us open it up against most of these div 3 teams and think Gallagher should learn from only 4 scores in 70 minutes (3 of which came in a 5 minute spell in first half).

Hill_hound (Fermanagh) - Posts: 43 - 16/01/2018 11:55:49    2068670

Link

Replying To gotmilk:  "4500 seemingly, bit of a round figure though."
Optimistic total. Don't think there was 4500.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 1267 - 16/01/2018 15:58:09    2068717

Link

Replying To Hill_hound:  "Pleased with the showing on Sunday. Seamie good tracking back and was impressive movement wise against a wall of defenders. Can see us doing very well in the league against most of div 3. The Ulster teams will provide the biggest test in terms of promotion but home advantage against Armagh/Derry could be vital for us. Still would like to see us open it up against most of these div 3 teams and think Gallagher should learn from only 4 scores in 70 minutes (3 of which came in a 5 minute spell in first half)."
Did you attend any of the other games Hill Hound?

We won all of our other games (albeit vrs weaker opposition) scoring 2-11, 1-10 and 1-13. And created a lot of other chances not taken (particularly vrs Donegal) And we played the same system throughout all mckenna cup games.

Point is - we wont be playing any division 1 sides in division 3! Aside from this, in those conditions on Sunday and with 14 men all of the second half, how can you realistically be critical of the score board?

Its a work in progress. Even the blindest and most clueless of supporters can see we needed to address our defence first and foremost, that's what is happening. Be positive.

RedRum (Fermanagh) - Posts: 257 - 16/01/2018 17:03:14    2068734

Link

I've never seen a game where winning your own kick out was so difficult .. for both teams .. it was like under 12a almost .. once you put the ball deAd over your opponents endline you seemed more likely to win it back and camp there for a while ... as for the 15 delay at the queens match note that all tha cancelled games that day were put back before being cancelled in a bizarre hope that the athletic grounds and clones would thaw so I presume they made the same call in Brewster to allow it mysteriously thaw in those 15 mins so I presume we came v close to it being called off
Anywho upwards and onwards .. Wexford under new management too so will be v hard to predict

AnBuachaillGlas (Fermanagh) - Posts: 286 - 16/01/2018 17:22:49    2068737

Link