Wexford Forum

Wexford hurling 2018

(Oldest Posts First)

Lads anyone know anything about the squad make up for next year? i heard davy taking on the radio tonight he said a few were left of the panel, some opt out of the panel and he brought lads in. Shore is out for up to 7 months with shoulder operation, liam og is not going to be back for the league anyway.Davy said tonight that kehoe of cloughbawn is coming in with hurlers next year. Flood and I think reck of oilgate have also been added not sure who else. Andrew Kenny, padraig doyle and shane Gorman have been left of panel.would daithi waters try his hand at the hurling again I wonder. Did anyone hear anything else about the panel?

hunting (Wexford) - 22/10/2017 21:28:17    2057068

Link

From what iv heard is that,gary moore,podge doran,james breen,david redmond,barry carton left the panel!! Eoin conroy,p.doyle,nicky kirwan,s.ogorman,d.hughes,andrew kenny got dropped,richie kehoe goin overseas with army be back in may,shore takin a year out and mcgovern is out for the year!! I heard colm kehoe,flood,firman,the under 21 full back from blackwater,reck,birdie oleary are in??anyone hear anything else as to who else might be brought in??

theboys (Wexford) - 23/10/2017 09:32:11    2057135

Link

Good to see a shake up in the panel, that will hopefully see us avoid the dreaded second season syndrome with Davy.
Staying up in Division 1A and qualifying for the quarter finals of the championship the immediate goals for Wexford.
The Bonus material on top of that is to make a league semi-final or final and possibly a championship semi-final.
Will be interesting to see what Dublin can muster in the Leinster championships.
Is it possible that Kilkenny could slip to fourth in the pecking order of leinster hurling. Beating them in Nowlan Park may be difficult but it is a must for the championship for us to continue to drive forward. If we lose to Kilkenny we will have to beat Galway in Wexford Park (not impossible) to make a second Leinster Final on the bounce.

hurlorhurley (Wexford) - 23/10/2017 09:59:24    2057149

Link

A good few of this years panel have been very poor for their clubs throughout the summer in my opinion. We need better corner backs, better sweeper and probably two forwards short, other than that we have the makings of a good team

890202 (Wexford) - 23/10/2017 10:34:36    2057162

Link

a sad reflection on support in wexford,that there is more chatter about next year in half a morning,than their was about months of club action.do any of you take an interest in the club game at all?or attend any matches?

perfect10 (Wexford) - 23/10/2017 14:13:31    2057237

Link

Replying To theboys:  "From what iv heard is that,gary moore,podge doran,james breen,david redmond,barry carton left the panel!! Eoin conroy,p.doyle,nicky kirwan,s.ogorman,d.hughes,andrew kenny got dropped,richie kehoe goin overseas with army be back in may,shore takin a year out and mcgovern is out for the year!! I heard colm kehoe,flood,firman,the under 21 full back from blackwater,reck,birdie oleary are in??anyone hear anything else as to who else might be brought in??"
Panels should always be freshened up but that is alot of bodies to replace if true

wexico15 (Wexford) - 24/10/2017 19:00:21    2057653

Link

Wouldn't worry to much about the like of conroy Doyle kenny kirwan o Gorman and the likes.... would worry though if padge and redmond and Garry Moore left and Barry carton and breen... especially breen as it wil leave us short on corner backs reck and Moore and Donohoe the only ones in panel... does he move o hanlon back full back next year??? Also said in gorey guardian that paudie foley is back in squad which would be great edition as it could free up dee o keefe to move to midfield or the forwards... also think your Bryne from black water could be a breakthrew player this year... was wondering about Rory o Connor and where would he could play next year midfield or corner forward

gannett83 (Wexford) - 24/10/2017 19:17:19    2057657

Link

Wouldn't worry to much about the like of conroy Doyle kenny kirwan o Gorman and the likes.... would worry though if padge and redmond and Garry Moore left and Barry carton and breen... especially breen as it wil leave us short on corner backs reck and Moore and Donohoe the only ones in panel... does he move o hanlon back full back next year??? Also said in gorey guardian that paudie foley is back in squad which would be great edition as it could free up dee o keefe to move to midfield or the forwards... also think your Bryne from black water could be a breakthrew player this year... was wondering about Rory o Connor and where would he could play next year midfield or corner forward

gannett83 (Wexford) - 24/10/2017 19:25:26    2057661

Link

Replying To gannett83:  "Wouldn't worry to much about the like of conroy Doyle kenny kirwan o Gorman and the likes.... would worry though if padge and redmond and Garry Moore left and Barry carton and breen... especially breen as it wil leave us short on corner backs reck and Moore and Donohoe the only ones in panel... does he move o hanlon back full back next year??? Also said in gorey guardian that paudie foley is back in squad which would be great edition as it could free up dee o keefe to move to midfield or the forwards... also think your Bryne from black water could be a breakthrew player this year... was wondering about Rory o Connor and where would he could play next year midfield or corner forward"
Fanning

d Byrne Ryan Reck
Murphy
Foley Hanlon. o Keefe
Joconnor Nolan
Guiney. Chin. Mac Donald
Roconnor. Morris

Yellow (Wexford) - 24/10/2017 20:20:11    2057684

Link

are any of you basing your panels,etc on club form?

perfect10 (Wexford) - 25/10/2017 08:07:14    2057753

Link

Would like to see Darren Byrne getting a run at full back and Kevin Foley at midfield for the Walsh cup

wexico15 (Wexford) - 01/11/2017 20:39:36    2059630

Link

Replying To wexico15:  "Would like to see Darren Byrne getting a run at full back and Kevin Foley at midfield for the Walsh cup"
Maybe if Darren Byrne is good enough he could fill the full back position and liam Ryan could try midfield or go into forwards..as with this new sweeper style we need fast forwards!!

fathermurphy (Wexford) - 04/11/2017 10:50:00    2060386

Link

Exciting new structure next year. We will have an opportunity to play against all the top teams in the country in both the league and championship. I think that with so many games condensed within a short timeframe in the round robin stage of the championship, luck with injuries could play a part in the sense that if you were to lose a player in the first to a hamstring injury for example, he is likely to miss the other 3 games as well. But I suppose it's the same for all teams. Places a greater emphasis on having a strong panel.

Sliotharyslope (Wexford) - 05/11/2017 08:26:42    2060527

Link

If all named were fit and available I'd like the look of the below team

Fanning

Moore
Darren Byrne
Damien reck

Shaun Murphy

Ryan
O'Hanlon
O'Keeffe

Kevin Foley
Aidan Nolan

Morris
Chin
Jack O'Connor

McDonald
Rory o'connor

wexico15 (Wexford) - 17/11/2017 14:58:45    2062885

Link

Would go along similar lines with Wexico, only move Mc onto the wing where he is less likely to be bottled up, and play Guiney or someone similar in at full-forward. Paudie Foley in for Kevin too, with maybe Dee relocated to midfield.

Never understood the hype around Jacko. Good fielder of the ball yes, but never sustains a high performance level over the course of a game even at club level, and then tends to pick up an injury just as it looks like he is beginning to motor.

To my mind, both Patrick O'Connor and Kevin Sheridan are deserving of a chance to stake a claim during the Walsh Cup. The former in particular is a quiet, unassuming defender who gets on with the job with minimal fuss, and was probably the Martins most consistent performer in that sector of the field. God only knows we are calling out for some reinforcements back there.

beano (Wexford) - 17/11/2017 17:28:54    2062906

Link

Any truth in the rumour Conor Mc is working in the UK and does it mean hes not available

Northcountyman (Wexford) - 30/11/2017 19:06:37    2064162

Link

not a clue about conor,but i think a general point has to be made.
training in november,when a match of any substance,is months away,is nothing short of madness,and is exactly the reason why players are abandoning this.
i know nothing about james breen other than that he is a dairy farmer,how do people genuinely expect him to train through jan/feb/mar/april?
it is high time the gaa decided that 1st january is time enough for any team to go back training,to hell with it if the hurlers or footballers lose a few league matches.
dublin are going on holiday this week,while our lads are running around ferns.absolute madness.
you can get fit enough for gaa in 4-5 weeks,fit enough for a league match in february anyway.june is when we should be peaking for,not february.when will we,and all other counties taking part in this madness,learn?
i meet a few players in the hotel i work in,and most of them say "why".

perfect10 (Wexford) - 07/12/2017 10:29:16    2064598

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "not a clue about conor,but i think a general point has to be made.
training in november,when a match of any substance,is months away,is nothing short of madness,and is exactly the reason why players are abandoning this.
i know nothing about james breen other than that he is a dairy farmer,how do people genuinely expect him to train through jan/feb/mar/april?
it is high time the gaa decided that 1st january is time enough for any team to go back training,to hell with it if the hurlers or footballers lose a few league matches.
dublin are going on holiday this week,while our lads are running around ferns.absolute madness.
you can get fit enough for gaa in 4-5 weeks,fit enough for a league match in february anyway.june is when we should be peaking for,not february.when will we,and all other counties taking part in this madness,learn?
i meet a few players in the hotel i work in,and most of them say "why"."
i know of james through other people . himself and his brother have a big dairy unit and fattens cattle , he had no quailty of life between farming and rushing to go training most evenings at 5 . its just not on the amount commiment is expected now is maddness

gusseraneman (Wexford) - 08/12/2017 13:58:04    2064671

Link

anyone who thinks you can be fit for the highest levels of modern intercounty gaa in 4/5 weeks is delusional..................getting to the S&C levels needed at the highest level takes a significant workload over an extended period of time.........its unfortunate that some guys will fall by the wayside with the committment thats needed but c'est la vie, my sympathies for any guy who is trying to combine farming with county, nigh on impossible...........it has taken us long enough to get back to Division 1, dropping down immediately because we start too late would be lunacy

dumptruck1 (Wexford) - 08/12/2017 16:37:01    2064675

Link

I don't get this clamour over needing Division One hurling in order to compete at the top table. We played two top teams in the league stages last year (and even at that Galway were half-baked and Limerick didn't have a good year in general), and it done us no harm. Okay we also beat KK in both the league and championship, with the league win fueling the momentum that we fed off in Wexford Park, but let's be honest, no-one ever looks back at a successful league campaign with pride.

Championship is the be all and end all, and we shouldn't be essentially breaking our balls before 2017 is even out so we are flying over the heavy ground in February, if we run the risk of burning out come the summer. I literally couldn't give a damn who Wexford play in the league. And when you think about it, that seeps into IC manager's mind-sets too- after losing a game or two it's always: "ah sure the league is only for building up our fitness in preparation for the championship" or words to that effect.

Leinster alone this year will be a different kettle of fish, never mind anywhere beyond that. Kilkenny having two poor provincial campaigns in succession are as rare as hen's teeth under Cody, and Pat Gilroy's influence should raise Dublin up to the standards they had set themselves under Daly.

So in my mind, there is no need to be forcing amateur players back so early into training regimes that I guarantee would be seen as too excessive for professional athletes. Hurling is meant to be enjoyable, and it's hard enough to balance work/personal life with the increasingly unrealistic demands of inter-county hurling. Use the league as a breeding-ground for the new personnel we need to assimilate into the starting team, not as a barometer for our season.

Davy should save the heavy lifting for Ireland's Fittest Family for now.

beano (Wexford) - 08/12/2017 18:15:19    2064683

Link