Westmeath Forum

Minor /U17

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Any word on when a decision is going to be made on age groups yet? Very difficult for clubs to plan the year ahead with no definite decision confirmed yet.

Wmeath2 (Westmeath) - Posts: 72 - 29/01/2018 20:13:47    2072159

Link

County Board meeting this Weds or Thurs I believe. Most clubs are against it but Executive will push it through.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 531 - 29/01/2018 21:43:15    2072194

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "County Board meeting this Weds or Thurs I believe. Most clubs are against it but Executive will push it through."
I doubt if the top table have enough votes

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1468 - 30/01/2018 12:48:47    2072367

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "County Board meeting this Weds or Thurs I believe. Most clubs are against it but Executive will push it through."
Why are clubs against it?

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 198 - 31/01/2018 10:02:28    2072703

Link

So it's as you were , no change to age grades as decided at last night's county board meeting when put to the floor for a vote. I believe the Minor Board are meeting tonight to discuss the competitions for this season, same as last year I'd imagine. Minor leagues will be kicking off shortly I'd imagine.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 531 - 01/02/2018 17:29:11    2073171

Link

Minor football leagues starting on the weekend 10th 11th of February

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 194 - 01/02/2018 20:21:19    2073220

Link

Minor board meeting tonight they tried to move u-18 hurling and football finals from curtain raisers to the senior hurling and football finals and replace it with a knew u-17 (knockout championship) competition with its finals before co senior finals day the clubs were against that move and now it must go back to clubs from delegates and be voted on at the next co board meeting. This knew competition will run along side the minor competitions. Also a new charge of €300 to be paid before competitions start and if an underage team fail to field they won't get moneys returned at end of year, as the football meeting was before the hurling tonight the football clubs agreed but later in the evening the hurling clubs would only agree to forfeit of moneys for not fielding in 2 consecutive games

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 194 - 01/02/2018 22:03:43    2073258

Link

Is anyone else really concerned for the overall future of GAA around the country with this change to U17? The only winners I can see in this in the long run are soccer and rugby who'll mop up all the 17 year olds who don't want to play junior or won't get a game with their clubs senior/intermediate team.
I can see absolutely no logic or common sense behind the move. Last year for example, minor league games were played on a Sunday morning, I don't know too many lads who'd be studying at that hour and the championship was played in August/September when the leaving cert is over!
There will be thousands of young lads around the country no longer playing GAA in a few years. Keeping lads playing after minor is already a problem and the GAA have shot themselves in the foot by accelerating the issue.

Wmeath2 (Westmeath) - Posts: 72 - 01/02/2018 22:43:56    2073267

Link

Replying To Wmeath2:  "Is anyone else really concerned for the overall future of GAA around the country with this change to U17? The only winners I can see in this in the long run are soccer and rugby who'll mop up all the 17 year olds who don't want to play junior or won't get a game with their clubs senior/intermediate team.
I can see absolutely no logic or common sense behind the move. Last year for example, minor league games were played on a Sunday morning, I don't know too many lads who'd be studying at that hour and the championship was played in August/September when the leaving cert is over!
There will be thousands of young lads around the country no longer playing GAA in a few years. Keeping lads playing after minor is already a problem and the GAA have shot themselves in the foot by accelerating the issue."
a proper U20 competition that is not knockout is needed
regular games with A, B, C finals

this should all have been sorted last November. Its ridiculous. Shows how little planning there is in the county

manfromdelmonte (UK) - Posts: 514 - 02/02/2018 08:02:39    2073290

Link

have to agree with wmeath2 I think doing away with minor and u21 games at club and county level is a grave
mistake. I just think back at all the great county minor and under 21 games over the years and the crowds they attracted . think of Westmeath 3 game saga with laois and hugh crowds that 2nd 3 rd games in tullamore or the great games 1999 all Ireland winning run . in my opinion gaa have made hugh mistake in following rugby and soccer we should stand up on our own two feet

Rogers (Westmeath) - Posts: 18 - 02/02/2018 13:55:20    2073377

Link

Replying To Rogers:  "have to agree with wmeath2 I think doing away with minor and u21 games at club and county level is a grave
mistake. I just think back at all the great county minor and under 21 games over the years and the crowds they attracted . think of Westmeath 3 game saga with laois and hugh crowds that 2nd 3 rd games in tullamore or the great games 1999 all Ireland winning run . in my opinion gaa have made hugh mistake in following rugby and soccer we should stand up on our own two feet"
Westmeath still has minor and under 21 in hurling and minor and under 20 in football. The under 21 in both codes have been simple knock out for years surely a league under 19 would be better

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 489 - 03/02/2018 00:43:09    2073510

Link

Agree with U19/U20 league or championship. But the problem is when do you play it? Can't be played during college term as lads away. Can't be played July - Sept/Oct because of adult club championship games.
May - June would be ideal, good weather, long evenings, dry pitches. Could easily run it off over 2 months. Lads would be away on holidays/J1 but might be an incentive to stay home if they have meaningful, regular games at the time of year that GAA should be played.

Wmeath2 (Westmeath) - Posts: 72 - 03/02/2018 17:13:46    2073632

Link