Mayo Forum

Club boundaries/catchment area

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

If it was a case that holly/carra were never actually legal to play as an amalgamated club what would happen? The club have had some great success as of late, league, o'mara cup and championship success, surely there would be ground to have this be made void?

Tizcold (Galway) - 24/10/2017 23:47:12    2057738

Link

Replying To Tizcold:  "If it was a case that holly/carra were never actually legal to play as an amalgamated club what would happen? The club have had some great success as of late, league, o'mara cup and championship success, surely there would be ground to have this be made void?"
I think you are spot on here and I think this is the crux of the problem for the county board and croke park. If they open this can of worms how do they clean up the mess? And if they acknowledge a mistake who is responsible for it? I think they decided the safest course of action would be to sweep it under the carpet and let the cranky old timers tire themselves out. They don't seem tired yet.

I think people need to consider this in the context of their own clubs. Imagine a motion for amalgamation was put to a vote in your club and was rejected, yet through deceit you found your club had amalgamated. How would you feel if this happened to your club?

nextyear (Mayo) - 26/10/2017 00:14:41    2058032

Link

Replying To nextyear:  "I think you are spot on here and I think this is the crux of the problem for the county board and croke park. If they open this can of worms how do they clean up the mess? And if they acknowledge a mistake who is responsible for it? I think they decided the safest course of action would be to sweep it under the carpet and let the cranky old timers tire themselves out. They don't seem tired yet.

I think people need to consider this in the context of their own clubs. Imagine a motion for amalgamation was put to a vote in your club and was rejected, yet through deceit you found your club had amalgamated. How would you feel if this happened to your club?"
If that happened in my local club I would throttle the lot of them, the dislike between neighbouring clubs is massive, yes when they play somebody from outside your divisional area or county you would like them to do well but amalgamating with them or hoping they would win against another team from your divisional area is a huge no no

riverboys (Mayo) - 28/10/2017 23:37:56    2058872

Link

It's disappointing to see this happen in a rural club - or in any club for that matter. Brings more evidence to the old saying that the GAA is 'a big organisation ran by very small minded people'. Hopefully it will all be sorted soon

imonmyway (Mayo) - 02/11/2017 11:06:54    2059718

Link

Replying To nextyear:  "Yea the story has been going around and I have never heard anyone say this is not what happened.

And yes you are correct. In order for an amalgamation to take place both clubs gave to vote on the same thing at the same time. This did not happen here so it's been a mess from the start. County board trying to sweep their mess under the carpet and move on"
The idea behind both clubs voting to amalgamate is to my mind a means of holding on to ALL of both clubs members. Because if a club simply disbands then all its playing members become 'free agents' and can play with what ever club they want to in the absence of an effective "Parish Rule".

In the above case even if both clubs DID NOT 'vote on the same thing at the same time' once the players played with the new amalgamated club and no players were lost to another club then the objectives of "voting on the same thing at the same time" was achieved and the County Board had no mess whatever to sweep under any carpet.

Now if the present club decides to disband there is no mechanism to ensure that its playing members return to the original clubs.

Lads in all fairness the larger units are the ones that will survive into the future. Not every club gets to an All-Ireland Intermediate Club Final. All would do well to dwell on this.

MillerX (Meath) - 14/12/2017 17:33:23    2065191

Link

The Hollymount / Carramore area from what I hear is in turmoil with the club issues casting a shadow in the community for the past while...terrible to see a local community going through this.

yew_tree (Mayo) - 14/12/2017 19:38:32    2065201

Link

To be honest there's illegal players in every club and not much anyone can do about it either and that includes Croke Park, Co Board or indeed any one else anyone would care to mention.

davittsman (Mayo) - 17/12/2017 20:36:55    2065473

Link