Roscommon Forum

Division two 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Tarismelting22:  "Ah come on you cant be serious saying Niall Kilroy is Redundant the amount of unsee work that man gets through is Phenomenal. The amount of runners he blocks off when he is sitting deep is invaluable. Arguable the player of the league"
Agree totally with you. Niall Kilroy has been fantastic over the last two years..il be honest at first I couldn't see why mcstay was picking him and I wasn't the only one with doubts but he proved a lot of people wrong..

dave1988 (Roscommon) - Posts: 388 - 07/04/2018 22:03:19    2091583

Link

Replying To Tarismelting22:  "Ah come on you cant be serious saying Niall Kilroy is Redundant the amount of unsee work that man gets through is Phenomenal. The amount of runners he blocks off when he is sitting deep is invaluable. Arguable the player of the league"
Read what I said. When teams push up on Niall he becomes just like any other player in so far he has to mark his man which is not his game. Not questioning his work rate but his job as sweeper is to block the supply to the channels off and be an outlet for short kick outs and link the play.

That is totally negated once the opposition put a marker on him. This happened at times last Sunday and totally in the replay v Mayo last August. Teams have copped onto it and are doing it more often. It may not always be Niall in that role but whoever it is will have to adapt.

SmokieRoss (Roscommon) - Posts: 109 - 08/04/2018 08:44:19    2091612

Link

Replying To SmokieRoss:  "Read what I said. When teams push up on Niall he becomes just like any other player in so far he has to mark his man which is not his game. Not questioning his work rate but his job as sweeper is to block the supply to the channels off and be an outlet for short kick outs and link the play.

That is totally negated once the opposition put a marker on him. This happened at times last Sunday and totally in the replay v Mayo last August. Teams have copped onto it and are doing it more often. It may not always be Niall in that role but whoever it is will have to adapt."
You need to move on from that game where no player performed well and management with their tactics and lack of game plan or plan B on the day stank out Croke Park. If we happen to cross paths with Mayo again this summer i would hope the intensity we brought to the drawn game will be displayed again instead of what we delivered in the replay last August.

Since then we have improved the strength of panel and players there last season are now a year older and wiser and we have played 12 competitive games winning 10 drawing 1 and losing just 1 we have won two trophies which includes a win in Croke Park. To reach the super 8 via the front or back door is our target now and if its achieved those 3 games in July would be a valuable learning experience regardless of the results IMO.

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 1907 - 08/04/2018 14:19:09    2091640

Link

I read over on the Leitrim forum that Neil Collins, our New York based ex full back will play for New York against Leitrim next Sunday.Is that right.? Roscommon, of course, play the winners of that game.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 860 - 30/04/2018 21:13:30    2095817

Link

Replying To endgame:  "I read over on the Leitrim forum that Neil Collins, our New York based ex full back will play for New York against Leitrim next Sunday.Is that right.? Roscommon, of course, play the winners of that game."
Yeah Neil played at corner back v Corofin at weekend. Donal Ward played full back. Tadgh Lowe was a sub.

reffingmad (Roscommon) - Posts: 154 - 30/04/2018 21:59:33    2095829

Link

Replying To endgame:  "I read over on the Leitrim forum that Neil Collins, our New York based ex full back will play for New York against Leitrim next Sunday.Is that right.? Roscommon, of course, play the winners of that game."
Apparently so and Donal Ward is also a starter with New York and Tadgh Lowe former county underage keeper is playing out the field for them but may not start v Leitrim.

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 1907 - 30/04/2018 22:35:09    2095842

Link