Dublin Forum

Question re Clucko's eventual replacement

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

How many appearances in the championship has Cluxton made? If he's anywhere near 100 I could see him going for that. Surely he'd be over 90 by the end of 2019. Could see him hanging on another year to 2020 to break that record. He might be the only player to ever do it especially with the way the modern game is going.

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 2006 - 11/03/2018 18:28:49    2083494

Link

Replying To Jack_Goff:  "How many appearances in the championship has Cluxton made? If he's anywhere near 100 I could see him going for that. Surely he'd be over 90 by the end of 2019. Could see him hanging on another year to 2020 to break that record. He might be the only player to ever do it especially with the way the modern game is going."
I can't understand why he plays all the league games when available.
Surely that is the time to try and integrate other keepers and let to feel a bit of pressure and see how they cope?

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 918 - 11/03/2018 20:10:34    2083593

Link

He looked like he fancies a crack at Jack McCaffrey's position with that burst up the field yesterday.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 11885 - 12/03/2018 09:59:01    2083820

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "I can't understand why he plays all the league games when available.
Surely that is the time to try and integrate other keepers and let to feel a bit of pressure and see how they cope?"
Don't agree, Cluxton has the Jersey it's up to someone to take it off him , he has little enough time left he should play as much as often as he can , why on earth would you put so much into a career to sit in a bench , he will be retired long enough, from a coaching development point of view obviously that's Gavin's priority and I am surprised he hasn't made the call to blood someone .

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 4950 - 12/03/2018 10:52:32    2083850

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "Don't agree, Cluxton has the Jersey it's up to someone to take it off him , he has little enough time left he should play as much as often as he can , why on earth would you put so much into a career to sit in a bench , he will be retired long enough, from a coaching development point of view obviously that's Gavin's priority and I am surprised he hasn't made the call to blood someone ."
I didn't phrase that right I meant why does Gavin let him play all the league games?

He is ruthless with everyone else even the likes of Bernard, Connolly... in the past year
And he subbed Philly v Donegal when he conceded a score and then dropped him for the Kerry and Mayo games!

Gavin's ruthlessness seems to go out the window when it comes to Cluxton.
Even when he has made the odd mistake.

I hope that Cluxton is giving his understudies pearls of wisdom in training, because that lack of competitive inter-county action must be to thier detriment.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 918 - 13/03/2018 00:44:32    2084144

Link

As I said before, Cluxton is using the league to become familiar with the new rule. These boys are thinking 5 in a row make no mistake, and that's why Brogan wants to come back. He deserves to be part of it. A defeat this year could change all that, Cluxton staying on included. Anyway, its obviously a managerial decision and a good one if you ask me.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 6894 - 13/03/2018 01:01:40    2084149

Link

Well you got a glimpse of it today, clean sheet at the end of it too.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 6894 - 18/03/2018 23:00:40    2085599

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Well you got a glimpse of it today, clean sheet at the end of it too."
I think he did well and that was some game to get his first start in the league, hope Cluxton had a good word with him after the game

First start, kicking into a strong wind away from home against a hungry inform Galway side. Well done young man. The Kickham's is strong in this one ;)

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 18448 - 19/03/2018 09:07:00    2085638

Link

was pleased to see evan play yesterday a good game to get some game time. The wind was pretty strong so overall he did ok.Given the team jim put out a draw is a fair result a lot of players got some good game time.Galway are a fair enough team but would expect to put them away in croke park ok. I did not see what eog did but getting sent off willhave done his chances of starting no good all.We have the best panel of players so I wish we could just stay out of aggro as much as we can without been walked on.A couple of injuries or red cards could derail are chances very quickly .

rollingboh (Dublin) - Posts: 8 - 19/03/2018 17:44:03    2085911

Link

Any news on his injury?

FOB (Dublin) - Posts: 776 - 11/06/2018 22:00:06    2110263

Link

Evan did well and I am a big fan, to be honest it was a pretty straight forward game, Longford didn't really push up on the kick out so he had loads of options really. I thought a few fist ps he could have held, but it's all part of the learning process.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 1671 - 11/06/2018 22:13:20    2110273

Link

He's understandably nervous about making mistakes and it's not easy being conpared to Cluxton. It's a hard job he has and the only way he'll progress is to gain confidence in his own ability and that'll come with game time and good performances.

Gavin being the manager he is made sure to give him a special mention today with wise words of encouragement.

That's what he needs. He did well.

It was nice seeing either Philly or McCarthy giving him encouragement when he first came on.. Mun lads sticking together.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 18448 - 11/06/2018 23:02:35    2110316

Link

Everything about Evan oozed Stephen Cluxton. Ive paid close attention to him in warm ups. His kick outs are so accurate, You want the ball on a certain spot he will put it there and its up to the midfielder who calls for it to win it/break it down to one of his team mates but im certain Evan will have spent enough time with Stephen over the past few years to replace him distribution wise.

But everything he done on sunday was Cluxton-esque.

The gloves
The kickouts
The confident strut
Little emotion just concentrated and focused
Lightening quick at the restart.

The one issue id have is that he is very small. We will likely play Donegal in the first of our super 8 games and if he were in between the sticks for that, id worry that they would just throw Michael murphy in around the square and lauch the high ball in, thatd be nervy but id still trust our defenders to help him out

but im really excited about him and his future.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 12813 - 12/06/2018 11:29:01    2110457

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "Everything about Evan oozed Stephen Cluxton. Ive paid close attention to him in warm ups. His kick outs are so accurate, You want the ball on a certain spot he will put it there and its up to the midfielder who calls for it to win it/break it down to one of his team mates but im certain Evan will have spent enough time with Stephen over the past few years to replace him distribution wise.

But everything he done on sunday was Cluxton-esque.

The gloves
The kickouts
The confident strut
Little emotion just concentrated and focused
Lightening quick at the restart.

The one issue id have is that he is very small. We will likely play Donegal in the first of our super 8 games and if he were in between the sticks for that, id worry that they would just throw Michael murphy in around the square and lauch the high ball in, thatd be nervy but id still trust our defenders to help him out

but im really excited about him and his future."
Looks likely that EC will be getting his chance

Happy for him but I'm sure he would have preferred a different set of circumstances, and also happy to hear that Cluxton isn't seriously injured and he'll be back for the vital stages.

Can't rush the ribs and plenty of rest might do him a lot of good. He's been on the road s long time.

Best of luck to EC. I for one have full faith in his ability and he'll be very well prepared for this.

Quick healing to Mr Cluxton and hope he enjoys his wee break.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 18448 - 14/06/2018 11:56:59    2111444

Link

Agreed best of luck to young Evan hopefully the games against Galway and Monagahn will stand to him as well as the last day. Im a big fan of his.

If he does well, does Gavin have a decision to make, i know its Cluxton every time, but if he sticks to his philosophy of the lads doing it, would he drop Evan, just a thought.

I wonder who his back up will be?

Could make the game a little tasty, i wouldn't be surprised to see Laois test him in many different ways, probably lob in a few high balls etc.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 1671 - 14/06/2018 12:47:50    2111470

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Agreed best of luck to young Evan hopefully the games against Galway and Monagahn will stand to him as well as the last day. Im a big fan of his.

If he does well, does Gavin have a decision to make, i know its Cluxton every time, but if he sticks to his philosophy of the lads doing it, would he drop Evan, just a thought.

I wonder who his back up will be?

Could make the game a little tasty, i wouldn't be surprised to see Laois test him in many different ways, probably lob in a few high balls etc."
Not too sure what the Laois FF line is like but I know that if I was in their shoes I'd be throwing in a few Garryowens around the square to test the youngfella. He had a couple of dodgy punches at the weekend where I thought two hands would have been the safer option. Big game for the youngfella but I'm sure Philly and the lads will look after him. Looks like bruised ribs for Clucko. Tricky injury that can lead to some contact confidence problems when you teturn initially. I'm sure a couple of A v B teams will put him right ahead of the super 8s.

Joxer (Dublin) - Posts: 3234 - 14/06/2018 17:27:47    2111579

Link