Dublin Forum

Question re Clucko's eventual replacement

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

How many appearances in the championship has Cluxton made? If he's anywhere near 100 I could see him going for that. Surely he'd be over 90 by the end of 2019. Could see him hanging on another year to 2020 to break that record. He might be the only player to ever do it especially with the way the modern game is going.

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 1966 - 11/03/2018 18:28:49    2083494

Link

Replying To Jack_Goff:  "How many appearances in the championship has Cluxton made? If he's anywhere near 100 I could see him going for that. Surely he'd be over 90 by the end of 2019. Could see him hanging on another year to 2020 to break that record. He might be the only player to ever do it especially with the way the modern game is going."
I can't understand why he plays all the league games when available.
Surely that is the time to try and integrate other keepers and let to feel a bit of pressure and see how they cope?

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 873 - 11/03/2018 20:10:34    2083593

Link

He looked like he fancies a crack at Jack McCaffrey's position with that burst up the field yesterday.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 11685 - 12/03/2018 09:59:01    2083820

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "I can't understand why he plays all the league games when available.
Surely that is the time to try and integrate other keepers and let to feel a bit of pressure and see how they cope?"
Don't agree, Cluxton has the Jersey it's up to someone to take it off him , he has little enough time left he should play as much as often as he can , why on earth would you put so much into a career to sit in a bench , he will be retired long enough, from a coaching development point of view obviously that's Gavin's priority and I am surprised he hasn't made the call to blood someone .

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 4796 - 12/03/2018 10:52:32    2083850

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "Don't agree, Cluxton has the Jersey it's up to someone to take it off him , he has little enough time left he should play as much as often as he can , why on earth would you put so much into a career to sit in a bench , he will be retired long enough, from a coaching development point of view obviously that's Gavin's priority and I am surprised he hasn't made the call to blood someone ."
I didn't phrase that right I meant why does Gavin let him play all the league games?

He is ruthless with everyone else even the likes of Bernard, Connolly... in the past year
And he subbed Philly v Donegal when he conceded a score and then dropped him for the Kerry and Mayo games!

Gavin's ruthlessness seems to go out the window when it comes to Cluxton.
Even when he has made the odd mistake.

I hope that Cluxton is giving his understudies pearls of wisdom in training, because that lack of competitive inter-county action must be to thier detriment.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 873 - 13/03/2018 00:44:32    2084144

Link

As I said before, Cluxton is using the league to become familiar with the new rule. These boys are thinking 5 in a row make no mistake, and that's why Brogan wants to come back. He deserves to be part of it. A defeat this year could change all that, Cluxton staying on included. Anyway, its obviously a managerial decision and a good one if you ask me.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 6699 - 13/03/2018 01:01:40    2084149

Link

Well you got a glimpse of it today, clean sheet at the end of it too.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 6699 - 18/03/2018 23:00:40    2085599

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Well you got a glimpse of it today, clean sheet at the end of it too."
I think he did well and that was some game to get his first start in the league, hope Cluxton had a good word with him after the game

First start, kicking into a strong wind away from home against a hungry inform Galway side. Well done young man. The Kickham's is strong in this one ;)

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 18065 - 19/03/2018 09:07:00    2085638

Link

was pleased to see evan play yesterday a good game to get some game time. The wind was pretty strong so overall he did ok.Given the team jim put out a draw is a fair result a lot of players got some good game time.Galway are a fair enough team but would expect to put them away in croke park ok. I did not see what eog did but getting sent off willhave done his chances of starting no good all.We have the best panel of players so I wish we could just stay out of aggro as much as we can without been walked on.A couple of injuries or red cards could derail are chances very quickly .

rollingboh (Dublin) - Posts: 3 - 19/03/2018 17:44:03    2085911

Link