Wicklow Forum

Fresh Faces for the County Senior Team!!!

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

There is always a danger in Wicklow GAA circles of believing everything you hear so I tend to ignore all froms of gossip. Unfortunately after two games, there are players that I would have expected to see in the squad who are absent but the absence of these players may be due in part to the competition and to the fact that it is the O'Byrne cup. We will need to monitor and see what happens as we head into the league where we do need to make progress. However, one thing is definite we can't hope for any success if the top players in the county refuse to commit to playing for the county regardless of who is the manager. In fact, there is a trail of thought that suggests we may struggle to compete even with our best players being available. This is an opportunity to make progress under a manager who has been down this road of rebuilding before; we can lift ourselves up from the bottom but initial impressions are not promising. Here's hoping things improve.

wicklowsupport (Wicklow) - 13/01/2018 12:35:42    2068108

Link

Replying To wicklowsupport:  "There is always a danger in Wicklow GAA circles of believing everything you hear so I tend to ignore all froms of gossip. Unfortunately after two games, there are players that I would have expected to see in the squad who are absent but the absence of these players may be due in part to the competition and to the fact that it is the O'Byrne cup. We will need to monitor and see what happens as we head into the league where we do need to make progress. However, one thing is definite we can't hope for any success if the top players in the county refuse to commit to playing for the county regardless of who is the manager. In fact, there is a trail of thought that suggests we may struggle to compete even with our best players being available. This is an opportunity to make progress under a manager who has been down this road of rebuilding before; we can lift ourselves up from the bottom but initial impressions are not promising. Here's hoping things improve."
We live in interesting times. From reading a report in The Wicklow People it would appear as if our new county chairman is prepared to step on toes in order to try to improve our situation. Then we see these reports of disharmony in and around our senior football squad. Pat Gilroy chaired a commission, reported back and already some delegates are apparently trying to pick holes in it. Seems to be important to have some person who can get games postponed. Some people don't seem to realise, for whatever reason, that we are 32nd of 32 and in danger of seeing a chasm developing between us an the rest. Looking at Evan's CV, I am confident that he is one who can help pull us out of the quagmire into which we seem to be sinking ever deeper. Our new chairman could be another. Others are the top footballers in the county and we need them to be bigger than whatever perceived grievances they may have. Last weekend I heard an interview with a Kerry footballer. I was amazed when I heard of the things he did in order to be a member of the Kerry panel. One was he abandoned his career as an engineer, went back to college and retrained as a physio in order to secure employment which would be more conducive to the demands of training for Kerry. Then I read some of the stuff posted here and marvel that the likes of Evans and Fitzgerald are prepared to start improving our lot. Here's hoping that the whole footballing fraternity put the past behind them and row in.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - 13/01/2018 20:22:54    2068155

Link

Replying To Victorious87:  "I think a big problem was whoever selected a lot of the players who are on the panel at the moment which couldn't have been Evans as he wasn't appointed until around the semi finals or final if I'm correct? I live in the West from what I know there are three Blessington players on the panel, not one of them started in the county final, one of them didn't even play a minute of Championship football so I don't know where they got the idea to call him up from. There was also 5 or 6 lads called up from Dunlavin, 4 of them very average and Dunlavin's best player Gary Allen not being kept on? There were also 3 very average players from Avondale asked up, 2 of whom are on the final panel now.

Whether he got these names from Magee or contacts in Wicklow I'm not sure beacuse his selectors weren't named until while after he was appointed. We're missing lads like both Mcloughlins, Allen, Woods, Gaffney etc. and replaced them with Intermediate and average senior players in my opinion"
Six players from an intermediate club doesn't sound right. What 6 Dunlavin players were called up?

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - 15/01/2018 09:45:31    2068416

Link

Replying To Victorious87:  "I think a big problem was whoever selected a lot of the players who are on the panel at the moment which couldn't have been Evans as he wasn't appointed until around the semi finals or final if I'm correct? I live in the West from what I know there are three Blessington players on the panel, not one of them started in the county final, one of them didn't even play a minute of Championship football so I don't know where they got the idea to call him up from. There was also 5 or 6 lads called up from Dunlavin, 4 of them very average and Dunlavin's best player Gary Allen not being kept on? There were also 3 very average players from Avondale asked up, 2 of whom are on the final panel now.

Whether he got these names from Magee or contacts in Wicklow I'm not sure beacuse his selectors weren't named until while after he was appointed. We're missing lads like both Mcloughlins, Allen, Woods, Gaffney etc. and replaced them with Intermediate and average senior players in my opinion"
Six players from an intermediate club doesn't sound right. What 6 Dunlavin players were called up?

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - 15/01/2018 09:45:59    2068417

Link

Surely not 6 players from Dunlavin on the final panel???? If so you would have too question the selection process because they were made look an average intermediate team by Hollywood in the county final.

Gardencounty2018 (Wicklow) - 16/01/2018 18:43:48    2068754

Link

Replying To Gardencounty2018:  "Surely not 6 players from Dunlavin on the final panel???? If so you would have too question the selection process because they were made look an average intermediate team by Hollywood in the county final."
From what I heard there 3 Dunlavin and 2 Hollywood? Maybe not but that's what I was told

WW9 (Wicklow) - 17/01/2018 10:01:58    2068804

Link

I have no problem with three from dunlavin and two from Hollywood ..at least they have made themselves available and are committed......

61123 (Wicklow) - 17/01/2018 22:56:35    2069005

Link

Intermediate looks strong this year with the addition of Coolkenno, Tinahely and Laragh

clubfan17 (Wicklow) - 19/01/2018 17:00:14    2069320

Link