Limerick Forum

Limerick Senior Hurling 2018.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To welpastit:  "
Replying To McFan88:  "[quote=GAA987:  "[quote=beirbua:  "Tom Ryan (South Liberties) transfer to Cuala and Dublin has gone through.
I recall him being on panel in TJ's time. However, it seems he did not last on it due to discipline issue.
Tom then turned up in N.Y. where he played hurling.
Now pitching in his lot with Cuala and Gilroy's Dublin.
link"
Very good hurler. Woudn't be at all surprised if he's starting either half back or midfield for Dublin by the time Limerick play them in the league. His younger brother Brian is also a very good hurler. I'm surprised he wasn't called up to the Limerick senior hurling panel especially with the Na Piarsaigh players being unavailable for selection at the moment due to club commitments."
Tom Ryan is a good hurler but to be fair to Limerick mgmt he got plenty of game time in 2014 and I dont think there were too many shouting for him to start ahead of the players we had at the time. He was travelling for the last year or two and now lives in Dublin - fair play to him for transferring - hope it goes well for him. Brian Ryan is an excellent prospect but does not yet have the physicality to play senior (unless he body shape has changed considerably in the last 6 months). he should play senior inter county but not for another year or two.."]McFan he would always be in the first 18 to 20 players in Limerick. I would have him well ahead of many who are in our current panel. If in 2014 when he was 21 or 22 he could come on in Thurles and score a wonder point given the game was in the melting pot think how much more useful he would be today. I think he is a big loss and am certain he will make a contribution to Dublins challenge. Wouldn't he have made a far better replacement for Byrnes last year than the player selected?"]Agreed. He is a better player than many already on the panel and looked like a player you could call on to make an impact on a game as looked a player who would try things and take a chance, as a midfielder though, he didn't have the cut of a half back from the amount of times I saw him.

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - 12/01/2018 14:29:41    2067970

Link

That's twice in last few weeks my opinion hasn't been posted would love to know why. It wasn't as if I said something controversial

someday (Limerick) - 14/01/2018 01:10:22    2068188

Link

Competitive game today by the sounds of it. Anyone there that could fire on a report and thoughts?

LowerTheBlade (Limerick) - 14/01/2018 17:06:55    2068246

Link

decent enough performance from limerick.i thought myself limerick never looked in trouble.backs were tight for majority of game but some silly frees conceded.willie o meara impressed me for a newcomer very tight marker and will give everything.paul browne and cian lynch worked very hard all day in midfield,and browne would probably have been my manof the match.all the forwards put in big efforts.tom morrissey looks more of a threat from half forward,donovan will work to a stand still,flanagan will be a real handful for anyone and is able to mix it.hegarty for me just needs more hurling,thought he really tried hard.think the forwards may have to get more physical because they were being pulled and dragged all day and ref only pulled it possibly 3 times,i hate seeing a back hanging off a forward but it seems to be the modern way.its a third win which is good but there is a long year and hopefully with more hurling the players will get sharper.a slight worry might be the possibility of no na piarsaigh player playing any league game.

CTGAA10 (Limerick) - 14/01/2018 18:25:54    2068275

Link

Replying To CTGAA10:  "decent enough performance from limerick.i thought myself limerick never looked in trouble.backs were tight for majority of game but some silly frees conceded.willie o meara impressed me for a newcomer very tight marker and will give everything.paul browne and cian lynch worked very hard all day in midfield,and browne would probably have been my manof the match.all the forwards put in big efforts.tom morrissey looks more of a threat from half forward,donovan will work to a stand still,flanagan will be a real handful for anyone and is able to mix it.hegarty for me just needs more hurling,thought he really tried hard.think the forwards may have to get more physical because they were being pulled and dragged all day and ref only pulled it possibly 3 times,i hate seeing a back hanging off a forward but it seems to be the modern way.its a third win which is good but there is a long year and hopefully with more hurling the players will get sharper.a slight worry might be the possibility of no na piarsaigh player playing any league game."
Cheers CTGAA. Sounds promising all the same. Good to hear morrissey going well, seems to be getting 3-4 points a game so far anyway and hopefully Flanagan can keep it going as he has all the stuff about him to make it.
It looks like they're going to keep hegarty in the forwards as with hayes and hannon out today could have been a chance to try him in the half back line or even center back.
You're right re not having the na piarsaigh boys but it sounds like every fella is putting it in and making themselves viable options.
You'd hope what they have should be good enough to win all games up to the galway game on march 4 and just have a right good crack at that and who knows.
The signs seem to be good so far anyway and the few wins even at this stage of the year will be good good for their confidence.

LowerTheBlade (Limerick) - 14/01/2018 20:30:08    2068323

Link

Replying To CTGAA10:  "decent enough performance from limerick.i thought myself limerick never looked in trouble.backs were tight for majority of game but some silly frees conceded.willie o meara impressed me for a newcomer very tight marker and will give everything.paul browne and cian lynch worked very hard all day in midfield,and browne would probably have been my manof the match.all the forwards put in big efforts.tom morrissey looks more of a threat from half forward,donovan will work to a stand still,flanagan will be a real handful for anyone and is able to mix it.hegarty for me just needs more hurling,thought he really tried hard.think the forwards may have to get more physical because they were being pulled and dragged all day and ref only pulled it possibly 3 times,i hate seeing a back hanging off a forward but it seems to be the modern way.its a third win which is good but there is a long year and hopefully with more hurling the players will get sharper.a slight worry might be the possibility of no na piarsaigh player playing any league game."
How's hickey looking at full back by the way, is there a chance they'll keep him there?
Didn't think condon would give it another year but he's already got in more game time than last year so must be going fairly well and out to get his place...

LowerTheBlade (Limerick) - 14/01/2018 20:38:51    2068329

Link

I dont know what game you lads were watching but that was poor yesterday. Clare a re bad and we are not much better. This messing around with the ball is going to see us murdered come summer.

e45lotion (Limerick) - 15/01/2018 09:21:34    2068407

Link

Replying To e45lotion:  "I dont know what game you lads were watching but that was poor yesterday. Clare a re bad and we are not much better. This messing around with the ball is going to see us murdered come summer."
Bit early to be negative yet for a game played in January in testing conditions. A good workout and a positive result. If you are going to be successful you have to go short as well as long and mix it up otherwise you are a one dimensional team.. If you are not going to try and perfect it now then when are you going to do it? Agreed that some of the lateral passing does seem like overkill at times and also kills momentum.

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - 15/01/2018 11:19:29    2068438

Link

Replying To Fitzy01:  "Bit early to be negative yet for a game played in January in testing conditions. A good workout and a positive result. If you are going to be successful you have to go short as well as long and mix it up otherwise you are a one dimensional team.. If you are not going to try and perfect it now then when are you going to do it? Agreed that some of the lateral passing does seem like overkill at times and also kills momentum."
Forwards need quick early ball also - it's all too predictable and wasted more often than not when we do send it in.

e45lotion (Limerick) - 15/01/2018 14:58:32    2068501

Link

I thought O'Meara struggled and I'd be very surprised if he got game time during the league. Of our more experienced players on show, Browne was excellent in midfield but I was disappointed with Diarmaid Byrnes. Condon and Tom Morrissey had good games yesterday but I suspect the wet soggy weather suits them and that they could be exposed for pace on dry ground. Flanagan did well and I was very impressed with Gillane yesterday - I thought he would struggle physically this year but he gave as good as he got and showed graft to go with the abundance of skill at his disposal. Does anyone know if Hayes, Hannon and Sean Finn will be fit for the start of the league? Based on the games v Cork and Clare (didnt go to the Kerry match), for the Offaly game, I'd go with something along the lines of:
Quaid
Finn
English
Condon
Byrnes
Hannon
Hayes (if fit)
CLynch
Browne
Hegarty
Morrissey
O'Donovan
Gillane
Flanagan
Nash

McFan88 (Limerick) - 15/01/2018 15:53:51    2068518

Link

Anytime Limerick beat Clare by six points things cant be too bad, Limerick missing about 15 of their panel 7/8 of whom will be starters.
Tom Morrissey, Flanagan Gillane , Cian Lynch were impressive , the Backs did well with regard to curtailing the Clare attack, i wasnt as impressed as others here by Condon and thought O Meara did relatively well.
PS The clare corner back (4) that was marking Gillane yesterday was a disgrace, his whole game plan seemed to revolve around holding Gillane, Ref and umpires not much help.

OpenStand (Limerick) - 15/01/2018 17:02:53    2068533

Link

Replying To OpenStand:  "Anytime Limerick beat Clare by six points things cant be too bad, Limerick missing about 15 of their panel 7/8 of whom will be starters.
Tom Morrissey, Flanagan Gillane , Cian Lynch were impressive , the Backs did well with regard to curtailing the Clare attack, i wasnt as impressed as others here by Condon and thought O Meara did relatively well.
PS The clare corner back (4) that was marking Gillane yesterday was a disgrace, his whole game plan seemed to revolve around holding Gillane, Ref and umpires not much help."
I agree with your points about yesterday, OpenStand, and also those of MacFan88.
A good few contenders were not playing yesterday (apart from the Na Piarsaigh ones) -
Hayes, Nash, Richie Mac, Colin Ryan, Finn and Hannon .

Looks like Browne and Lynch are the midfield pairing 2018. Both played very well yesterday.
Lynch's game is definitely evolving. Hoovered up a rake of dirty ball yesterday.
Gillane was excellent again and Flanagan will be given plenty more game time before May.
Richie English was very good.

Tom Morrissey had an excellent second half.
Byrnes gets plenty of ball but the choices he makes with it remain erratic.
Hegarty still being persisted with in attack although...

Defence was very solid. Plenty of short game with some long thrown in. Kinnerk stamp all over it.
Crucially the players fully buy in to the system and stuck with it even when going behind. We blew Clare away in second half and game was over before sending off.

No one in attendance yesterday was getting carried away. It's a long, long road back to the top table but some steps now in the right direction. With a full hand, there should be serious competition for places for the first time in years.

Luimneach abú!

beirbua (Limerick) - 15/01/2018 21:44:14    2068591

Link

I'm thinking positive ,even if "just the Munster League" . Delighted to see Condon, Hickey and English named as HS fulll bak line on a day when Kilkenny, Dublin, Cork and Clare were also in the mix, regardles of who wasjust trying out players.

PatOLogical (Limerick) - 16/01/2018 13:32:31    2068690

Link

No Hickey on team named above?? Yesterdays game was first time in a long time where limerick bullied opposition (from top 6). Limerick showed aggression and hunger and beat Clare at their own game. We were very strong up the centre. Thought Hickey and Dan Morrissey were impressive. C Lynch & Browne won center field while Donovan and Flanagan caused problems up front. Also thought Barry O'Connell caused all sorts of problems. In general all did well but again spine much stronger.

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - 16/01/2018 18:22:43    2068747

Link