Dublin Forum

Dublin Hurling Anyone care anymore ?

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Dubh_linn:  "A great servant to Dublin no doubt and I'm sure himself and Gilroy hado a chat beforehand but I'd wonder how much game time he'll actually enjoy.
His influence behind the scenes may be even more important. Hope it works out for him and would be great to see him enjoy more success in blue."
The team needs heroes. Having a few lads everyone looks up to is very important. Drives players to make themselves better.

FOB (Dublin) - Posts: 841 - 13/01/2018 09:50:55    2068097

Link

Gilroy has named a strong side for tomorrow, with Conal coming back things are looking good

Hill16Army (Dublin) - Posts: 88 - 13/01/2018 21:04:39    2068163

Link

Looking forward to Saturday, new season have to go with the glass half full option

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5156 - 24/01/2018 15:53:02    2070366

Link

Looking forward to Saturday, new season have to go with the glass half full option

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5156 - 24/01/2018 15:53:05    2070367

Link

Replying To Hill16Army:  "Gilroy has named a strong side for tomorrow, with Conal coming back things are looking good"
Is Rushe and O Donnel injured, as I would expect them to start ??
Harryo

HarryO (Galway) - Posts: 182 - 26/01/2018 19:23:28    2070878

Link

Judging by the poor crowd even by Dublin hurling standards yesterday people don't care.
Most only arrived with 10 /15 mins to go.

Have the majority of Dubs turned into just glory hunters spoiled by Dublin's football success?
And now not willing to see how a new team project progresses over a number of years?

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 953 - 28/01/2018 12:46:16    2071307

Link

POOR CROWD FOR HURLERS BUT I THINK PEOPLE FIND 2 MATCHES A LONG TIME TO BE THERE FOR AT THIS TIME OF YEAR.THINK MATCH AT PP ON ITS OWN WOULD HAVE A FAIR CROWD AND WOULD LOOK OK IN THAT GROUND.

rollingboh (Dublin) - Posts: 8 - 28/01/2018 16:07:08    2071348

Link

Two great wins today Cuala into all Ireland final week done look forward to Patrick's day
Dublin Colleges beat Kilkenny powerhouse Kilkenny CBS in Leinster semi final
By four points
Leinster final against strongest school in Leinster in two weeks st Kieran's, this possibly best Colleges team Dublin have produced since the Kilkenny Lowndes Costello mc Caffrey team

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5156 - 10/02/2018 17:19:32    2075436

Link

If ever Dublin hurling needed a shot in the arm it's this Thursday Leinster Colleges final Dublin north v ST Kieran's of Kilkenny, DR Cullen Park , bidding for history while a combined north and south have previously won this competition this would be the first time one half of the city managed it , COYBIB

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5156 - 19/02/2018 18:41:23    2078490

Link

Champions of Leinster congrats to Dublin north who defeated the mighty Kieran's of Kilkenny by three points in Dr Cullen Park first ever win for Dublin North , watch some of these boys go in a few years

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5156 - 22/02/2018 15:49:30    2079235

Link

Great news and a timely boost.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 12114 - 22/02/2018 18:10:14    2079283

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "Great news and a timely boost."
Great win, and a boost for Dublin hurling. Well done.

Harryo

HarryO (Galway) - Posts: 182 - 23/02/2018 08:36:25    2079385

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "Judging by the poor crowd even by Dublin hurling standards yesterday people don't care.
Most only arrived with 10 /15 mins to go.

Have the majority of Dubs turned into just glory hunters spoiled by Dublin's football success?
And now not willing to see how a new team project progresses over a number of years?"
People don't care because most fan bases and I include Dublin football fans, are glory hunters. That's a fact.

The problem with Dublin hurling isn't just a fact that the footballers are doing well right now. Its decades and decades of tradition now that they have to overcome going back as far as Heffo. If you look at Dublin football in the late 60's early 70's, There was a small core support, but every team needs their bandwagon fans to add that partisan atmosphere. Soccer was far more popular than gaelic football in the early 70's, Heffo's influence, his team, and their success ultimately awakened a sleeping city and county and people took notice because they where a feel good story that was eeded. People wanted to be part of it. Ive often shared my not too popular opinion on the ole ole paddy brigade that go to the world cup and euros but wouldn't even know Ireland where playing if they where playing a friendly in October against Nigeria or Oman for example, Those are bandwagoners and to be fair, they are people that the hurlers need that the footballers have gotten. The only way you get that, is through winning,

Going back to 2013 when the Hurlers under Anthony Daly got to an all Ireland semi final against Cork, There was a mammoth crowd at croke park that day, In heinsite 2014 was the year for Dublin to really win around a lot of those bandwagon fans by cementing their place in hurlings top 2 or 3 counties but they didn't do that and so 2013 could be seen by a lot of the potential bandwagoners as a flash in the pan. Daly leaving, Cunningham coming in, Cunningham going, Gilroy coming in, Players leaving, players coming back. Its constantly changing. Unless you are a true Dublin hurling supporter who has travelled with them high and low through the bad times, then people wont have the patience that they have to spend their money watching a progress because people want the finished article or close to it. The average fan doesn't want progress, they want success yesterday. That's the difference between a fan and a supporter.

Then there are those who where brought up in a football background. Have supported the footballers from day dot. Who fell in love with watching the footballers. Who will travel and spend every cent they have watching the footballers through the bad times and the good. Those who fully appreciate the few years just past but also the hardship of the early late 90's and early 00's. The hammerings to Kerry and Tyrone, The 7 point come back by Mayo. Those who have no love or passion for Dublin hurling.

But the people who just go for the day out and occasion, theyre the people that the hurlers can win round, but only by winning, Until then, the footballers will always be the number one choice for those on the fence.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 12994 - 23/02/2018 11:11:20    2079413

Link

I was at the game today. There was a decent crowd. I didn't hear what it was officially but the stand was about 85% full and there was a nice crowd on the far side.
Dublin really do have problems atm.
Crummy was excellent at CB and the midfield worked hard. Sutcliffe looked like he didn't want to be there but came to life on occasion. I'm not sure what to make of the FB line. Tried hard but !!!
Galway could have won by 20 points and weren't even trying that hard. They are all Ireland champion's but Dublin were a division 1 team last year. Rushe went off injured to make matters worse. It will take more than the Cuala contingent to fix this I'm afraid.
Where are players like Kelly, Boland, McCaffrey and Dillon? Dillon is a fine player but he's not even listed as a sub

Tadhgmacda (Limerick) - Posts: 89 - 25/02/2018 17:48:31    2080112

Link

You're spot on

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7060 - 26/02/2018 02:21:22    2080309

Link

Replying To realdub:  "You're spot on"
who is ?

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 12994 - 26/02/2018 14:08:48    2080513

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "who is ?"
Sorry I thought I replied to your post, I was referring to you Wayne!

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 7060 - 26/02/2018 19:41:21    2080712

Link