USA Forum

Rockland GAA grounds

(Oldest Posts First)

I was recently up at the newly developed Rockland GAA grounds and I must say the whole place is a credit to them. They have a fantastic club house and 2 fields to match it. They have really shown up the NY county board. I see they have posters up for their opening weekend now with an array of former county players coming out to play in an "All Star" game. I dont know how the hell they are managing to afford this but fair play to them. They started off with a vision (which I am sure many laughed at) and now it is a reality.
This leads me back to my earlier remark and the showing up of the NY county board. It is sad and a real shame considering all the years the Irish are here in NY that they do not own their own grounds. Recent events at Gaelic Park has demonstrated this even more, with Manhattan college closing down the field to redo the surface. Other states have shown the way forward, Boston in particular with their grounds. So I ask the question, what is the next step forward for the NY county board? How can the teams and members of the GAA talk some sense into the Board and get the ball rolling on a new development?
Pumping money into a leased ground is a wasted of time and dead money.

TractorTom4 (Australia) - 09/06/2017 17:01:52    1997380

Link

Question for you tractor. Who owns the grounds in Boston and indeed Chicago? Perhaps you should find out and you might find you are not so well informed about putting money into leased grounds.
Rockland have done an absolutely magnificent job and deserve all of the credit in the world for what they have achieved . They are a shining light for GAA clubs all over the world.

GPlifer (USA) - 10/06/2017 19:26:53    1997644

Link

It can be done elsewhere.
In the early years it was lean; no uniform, no pitch, no audience to cheer you (Just some fellow roaring; "GET THAT BALL. It won't bite ye!".
We played on American football fields which had dirt and stones in the middle of the pitch with thin strips of grass along the edges.
But it grew and grew. For a number of years there was no senior team. Young guys often went away as soon as they reach college age.
But now there are lots of teams of all ages. boys and girl. The fields get alot of use during the week and on the weekend especially.
There will be an official opening of the clubhouse July 7 - 9. There will be matches as well as items showing the history of the club.

mikeyjoe (USA) - 18/06/2017 19:59:41    2001344

Link

Replying To GPlifer:  "Question for you tractor. Who owns the grounds in Boston and indeed Chicago? Perhaps you should find out and you might find you are not so well informed about putting money into leased grounds.
Rockland have done an absolutely magnificent job and deserve all of the credit in the world for what they have achieved . They are a shining light for GAA clubs all over the world."
The grounds in Boston and Chicago are not owned by the local GAA. Treasure Island in San Francisco is the only Divisional Grounds that is totally controlled by the local GAA Board.

LaBron (Galway) - 21/06/2017 00:24:00    2002888

Link

Gaelic park will be fully operational on the 15th of July. Does anyone know how much rent NYGAA pay Manhattan college so they can use the field? Heard a figure the other day from a reliable source and I was floored!!

hawkeye2002 (Tyrone) - 28/06/2017 14:17:08    2006872

Link

Replying To hawkeye2002:  "Gaelic park will be fully operational on the 15th of July. Does anyone know how much rent NYGAA pay Manhattan college so they can use the field? Heard a figure the other day from a reliable source and I was floored!!"
Per the latest tax return (2014) which is available to the public (since the NY GAA is a not-for-profit organization) the rent paid for 2014 was $223,935.

Patsy1916 (USA) - 28/06/2017 14:42:14    2006901

Link

Replying To Patsy1916:  "Per the latest tax return (2014) which is available to the public (since the NY GAA is a not-for-profit organization) the rent paid for 2014 was $223,935."
Is that the rent paid to the College or is that the rent paid to the college for the use of the pitch AND the rent paid to the MTA for the bar and other buildings?

Gaa Fan (USA) - 28/06/2017 16:07:11    2006972

Link

That would be total rent paid to all entities.

Patsy1916 (USA) - 28/06/2017 16:37:47    2006990

Link

Replying To Patsy1916:  "That would be total rent paid to all entities."
I heard it was $70,000 for the field alone!! Is it not time they started following Rockland's fine example of how to do it. I suppose we could argue this till we're blue in the face.

hawkeye2002 (Tyrone) - 28/06/2017 17:08:33    2007007

Link

Replying To Patsy1916:  "That would be total rent paid to all entities."
The breakdown then would be approx $85,000 for the pitch and $12,000 a month for the bar etc.
You people are getting a bargain on the field. Looking at the 2017 schedules you will play 250 games this year plus NY team training sessions (25) which comes to 275 games. That comes to about $300 a game. Two dressing rooms, hot water, a p.a. system, a scoreboard and clock, and maintenance on these items, included in this. You pay electricity charges for light usage.
The Connacht championship game should pay for about half of the field rental.

Gaa Fan (USA) - 28/06/2017 19:47:59    2007082

Link

Replying To hawkeye2002:  "I heard it was $70,000 for the field alone!! Is it not time they started following Rockland's fine example of how to do it. I suppose we could argue this till we're blue in the face."
Try playing 250 games each year on a field like you have in Rockland.

Gaa Fan (USA) - 28/06/2017 19:55:37    2007086

Link