Down Forum

Down Minor Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First)

Just seen that fixtures have been released for Minor Hurling Leagues this year. Only 4 teams in Division 1, the Ards teams and Bredagh. And in Division 2, most teams are amalgamations with only Kilclief playing as their own club. Disappointing for Down hurling.

cranfanatic (Down) - Posts: 71 - 24/02/2019 15:31:08    2167503

Link

Replying To cranfanatic:  "Just seen that fixtures have been released for Minor Hurling Leagues this year. Only 4 teams in Division 1, the Ards teams and Bredagh. And in Division 2, most teams are amalgamations with only Kilclief playing as their own club. Disappointing for Down hurling."
League isn't two divisions, it has been split geographically to allow for home and away fixtures without being too taxing on lads in their exam year which makes perfect sense ........winners/runners up in each section play off against each other to see who wins league...

Fair play to Kilclief for fielding on their own but they tried to do same last year and then folded after 2-3 games as did O Rahillys.......ourselves and point play together and it's working for both clubs as during league you don't have to use u16s hence lads aren't out Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday in dual clubs in their exam year....

Hopefully all the teams remain in the league thus year and they will all get 12-14 gam between league and championship which will be good .....

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 702 - 24/02/2019 17:35:45    2167584

Link

Replying To PaudieSull1:  "League isn't two divisions, it has been split geographically to allow for home and away fixtures without being too taxing on lads in their exam year which makes perfect sense ........winners/runners up in each section play off against each other to see who wins league...

Fair play to Kilclief for fielding on their own but they tried to do same last year and then folded after 2-3 games as did O Rahillys.......ourselves and point play together and it's working for both clubs as during league you don't have to use u16s hence lads aren't out Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday in dual clubs in their exam year....

Hopefully all the teams remain in the league thus year and they will all get 12-14 gam between league and championship which will be good ....."
I really don't get this and haven't for a while.

We've had "development" squads for the better part of 8 to 10 years IIRC which evidently has not helped one iota when it comes to player participation when the likes of Newry/Warrenpoint/Clonduff/Liatroim/Ballela/Carryduff/Castlewellan still cannot field a minor team on their own and we're very reliant on amalgamations for a Div2 league (not my words, but Down GAA's words).

I'll break this down even further, places the size of Warrenpoint, Newry, Castlewellan and Carryduff cannot muster 15 hurlers from the ages of 15 to 18.

That is a sad statistic and something that we as a county need to address.

The first port of call in any development plan must be player participation at primary school age, that's where the Dubs invested heavily 10 odd years ago, albeit aided heavily by Croke Park and it's also where Limerick hurlers put a large effort into.

When the P4/P6 blitzes start in Downpatrick start shortly I'll put up a list of participating clubs and I'll bet it will be the same old, same olds.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2358 - 27/02/2019 08:54:28    2168576

Link