Down Forum

Down Footballers 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Thanks germac. I couldn't be arsed debating with her previously but I agree 100% with u again.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 271 - 23/06/2019 22:32:01    2199493

Link

This will be fun...

Point A - didn't say people were delighted, said people took positives from it. No one is happy to see their county get beat.

Point B - should have could have would have...reality is they didn't take their chances and we are out of the championship and it summer hasn't even dawned yet.

Point C - who are these players you speak of that we are missing?

Point D - Kerry have under 20s on the pitch, they're doing grand....probably because they have been nurtured with consistency which started under Jack O'Connor because he saw change, leadership and consistency was needed...I actually don't see your point here?

Point E - don't take up the legal profession if the only arguments you can give are hypothetical.

I am negative about Down at present. Totally and utterly. I love Down GAA and I have been at those matches across Ireland where Down have been crying out for supporters, haven't missed a match since in 16 years. Sat in Páirc Uí Rinn when only 300 Down fans travelled down. I am an avid Down supporter but I am not afraid to call out the problems in Down...which yes whether you like it or not a lot come from the county board and lack of creativity and change in management...let me ask you this...if you have a good product in the business world, you pass it on through its various stages and the same managers bring it's standards down every time, what would you do with those managers? Unless you want a bust business you would look for change.

Come back when you have some credible arguments. No progress will happen within Down until there are changes right through. Sin é,

MissDownFanatic (Down) - Posts: 411 - 23/06/2019 23:23:18    2199532

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "More than thanks for this advice AnDunCeanada. Got parking handy enough in the Buttercrane. Comiserations on the result. I'm glad ye didn't threaten our goal as much in the first half as in the second half, was very nervous when I saw ye kicking more ball in there."
You're very welcome GreenandRed, congratulations on the win and hope you enjoyed the trip up. Hopefully see you lot again in the not too distant future.

AnDunCeanada (Down) - Posts: 75 - 24/06/2019 13:38:11    2199901

Link

Will take the diplomatic approach and say that I feel the truth is somewhere in the middle. I understand the critique of the county board, I don't think anyone can argue that certain members and their long term tenures have resulted in positive growth for the county. BUT I also see reasons for optimism this year with some of the performances of the senior team and especially what (so far anyway) looks like a great crop of U20's. Year 1 of Paddy Tally's reign feels like a step in the right direction to me.

AnDunCeanada (Down) - Posts: 75 - 24/06/2019 13:44:31    2199905

Link

Replying To MissDownFanatic:  "This will be fun...

Point A - didn't say people were delighted, said people took positives from it. No one is happy to see their county get beat.

Point B - should have could have would have...reality is they didn't take their chances and we are out of the championship and it summer hasn't even dawned yet.

Point C - who are these players you speak of that we are missing?

Point D - Kerry have under 20s on the pitch, they're doing grand....probably because they have been nurtured with consistency which started under Jack O'Connor because he saw change, leadership and consistency was needed...I actually don't see your point here?

Point E - don't take up the legal profession if the only arguments you can give are hypothetical.

I am negative about Down at present. Totally and utterly. I love Down GAA and I have been at those matches across Ireland where Down have been crying out for supporters, haven't missed a match since in 16 years. Sat in Páirc Uí Rinn when only 300 Down fans travelled down. I am an avid Down supporter but I am not afraid to call out the problems in Down...which yes whether you like it or not a lot come from the county board and lack of creativity and change in management...let me ask you this...if you have a good product in the business world, you pass it on through its various stages and the same managers bring it's standards down every time, what would you do with those managers? Unless you want a bust business you would look for change.

Come back when you have some credible arguments. No progress will happen within Down until there are changes right through. Sin é,"
Very negative arguments there. Claiming that consistency is required but at the same time seemingly dismissing the current set up is a huge contradiction.
It is far from perfect but surely if you attended the games you seen a squad fighting to the death in each of the 3 games, grinding out a win against Tipp, and with more clinical finishing/better decision making in the final third could have came close to upsetting what is still a very good Mayo side.

There are positives to take and hopefully these young players push on for the experience.

icantshoot (Down) - Posts: 58 - 24/06/2019 14:12:47    2199938

Link

Replying To icantshoot:  "Very negative arguments there. Claiming that consistency is required but at the same time seemingly dismissing the current set up is a huge contradiction.
It is far from perfect but surely if you attended the games you seen a squad fighting to the death in each of the 3 games, grinding out a win against Tipp, and with more clinical finishing/better decision making in the final third could have came close to upsetting what is still a very good Mayo side.

There are positives to take and hopefully these young players push on for the experience."
Negative or realistic? I have no doubt Paddy Tally will bring us to a marginally better position....but that is short term and I doubt he will get us back to the levels we have been at less than 10 years ago. There is no short term fix and fixing it doesn't start at senior level. I totally commend the current lads on the squad who have shown plenty of heart...unfortunately that isn't what wins all Irelands and builds long term success.

MissDownFanatic (Down) - Posts: 411 - 24/06/2019 15:37:42    2200004

Link

Replying To MissDownFanatic:  "Negative or realistic? I have no doubt Paddy Tally will bring us to a marginally better position....but that is short term and I doubt he will get us back to the levels we have been at less than 10 years ago. There is no short term fix and fixing it doesn't start at senior level. I totally commend the current lads on the squad who have shown plenty of heart...unfortunately that isn't what wins all Irelands and builds long term success."
Negative as I said.

The 'level' we were at 9 years ago when we reached the AI final was relative to a lower standard generally at that time. After that, Donegal, Mayo and of course Dublin raised the bar considerably. Down simply stood still. There was a more even playing field back around that time, as shown when Down beat eventual AI champions Tyrone in Ulster in 2008. So to aim for those 'levels' is misguided.

Anyway, back to the here and now. A generally positive vibe about the county is great, and I don't think anyone is under any illusions as to how far we have to go. Hopefully we can have a rattle at Ulster again in the next few years and go from there.

icantshoot (Down) - Posts: 58 - 24/06/2019 16:52:29    2200055

Link

Saturday night was a great occasion, outside the ground with the crowd milling round I thought I was in Castlebar. Atmosphere was brilliant, really enjoyed the game, left wishing there was another game next Saturday night. There was the usual mix of the good, bad, great and awful. Down shot themselves out of the game, you can't miss free kicks and 45s out of the hand and off the ground and win at this level, especially a team like Down who only average 14 points a game. Wides and kicks into the goalkeeper's hands didn't help.
Down badly need help with their kicking and scoring. The kickouts were a shambles, lack of midfield options, slow restarts, the goalkeeper's accuracy was poor, one kick put McKernan on the floor and led to a goal.
That said midfield is improving, Flynn was missed , but Owen McCabe did well. Down broke well from defence, they have pace and quick ball handling and tore through Mayo's midfield and defence all night. Mooney's pace is scary, his goal was wonderful. They should have scored more goals, and this was against a team known for it's tackling. The workrate of the team was first class, and they never give up, great attitude. It's very early days, but Tally's seems to know what he's doing. As for Mayo, fantastic support, enjoyed having you in Newry, worth the money to see a maestro in action, Andy Moran, the man can conjure space and time for himself out of nothing. I also had the impression Mayo were playing well within themselves, and had another gear or two to call on. With Cillian O'Connor and Seamus O'Shea to return let's hope this is your year...

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 21 - 24/06/2019 20:25:41    2200236

Link

Just two other thoughts. Could the powers that be provide some more scoreboards, over 15,000 at Amagh and Mayo and a lot of people didn't know what the score was, as there is only one scorboard visible. It left a very poor impression, especially with the visitors. Another more serious point, I thought there was a dangerous bottle neck as you went through the turnstiles into the terrace area, there was a huge crowd in a very small area, and the flow of the crowd was interfered with by having a toilet to the left, an area selling programs, and to the right a table selling soft drinks . I felt unsafe, though nothing happened, there was no shoving or pushing. I just thought it worth mentioning, as people leave it late to get in nowadays, maybe worth having a health and safety check of this area.

Newmitch (Down) - Posts: 21 - 24/06/2019 20:44:05    2200253

Link

Replying To Newmitch:  "Just two other thoughts. Could the powers that be provide some more scoreboards, over 15,000 at Amagh and Mayo and a lot of people didn't know what the score was, as there is only one scorboard visible. It left a very poor impression, especially with the visitors. Another more serious point, I thought there was a dangerous bottle neck as you went through the turnstiles into the terrace area, there was a huge crowd in a very small area, and the flow of the crowd was interfered with by having a toilet to the left, an area selling programs, and to the right a table selling soft drinks . I felt unsafe, though nothing happened, there was no shoving or pushing. I just thought it worth mentioning, as people leave it late to get in nowadays, maybe worth having a health and safety check of this area."
Never got out of div 3 won one championship game against hurling county I can't see any positive out of this year at all.

Thekid14 (Down) - Posts: 193 - 24/06/2019 21:09:04    2200277

Link

Replying To Thekid14:  "Never got out of div 3 won one championship game against hurling county I can't see any positive out of this year at all."
Agree we should have been promoted.

The positive side of looking at the championship is,

Down were best team against Armagh and would have won but for Mooney's sending off.

Tipperary were div 2 and have a number minor all Ireland football winners in their team and we dealt with them ok

Mayo are one of the top teams but there wasn't much between the teams on Saturday night.

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 271 - 24/06/2019 21:58:12    2200323

Link