Donegal Forum

Pat Shovelin RIP

(Oldest Posts First)

A very popular man by all accounts and a great servant to Donegal GAA esp the heady days of recent years. I was in the Athletic Grounds standing no more than a couple of yards away from Pat on a great evening when the U-21's lifted the Ulster Championship on what was a proud night. It was a great gesture by all involved that Pat was able to lift the trophy. I did not know Pat personally but I know people who did and by all accounts the descriptions of Pat after his passing ring true. I would like to pass on my condolences to Pat's family and his many friends and colleagues. RIP Pat.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1186 - 24/10/2017 23:34:33    2057734

Link

panamasam great post and lovely tribute to Pat. Like yourself I remember fondly that Monday night last year in the Athletics grounds when Pat lifted the Ulster u-21 cup with Eoghan Ban. It was only afterwards that I learned of his illness. One my favourite memories of Pat was doing the warm-ups in Croke Park with Papa, Jim putting the other players through their paces whilst Pat, Papa and the other goalies were warming up in a corner of the pitch. Great memories.

Sincere condolences to Pat's family and friend, huge loss for Donegal GAA.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1084 - 25/10/2017 11:49:52    2057811

Link

Very hard to believe wee pat is gone. He was a great character and an outstanding coach. I'll never forget last years u21 campaign to see him there before games out working with the goalies everything seemed normal but to the people who know how serious his illness was it was so hard. Was so proud to see him that night in Armagh up with Tony and eoin ban accepting the cup. It ways a special night his twitter page let us all know how proud he was that night. From talking to a lot of people everybody spoke of his popularity among the players but also of his outstanding coaching ability. So he's goin to be a huge loss firstly to his family his friends and the donegal gaa. Slan Leat a chara you'll never be forgotten.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 337 - 25/10/2017 13:22:23    2057854

Link