Derry Forum

Decision to play soccer

(Oldest Posts First)

I have read all the statements in the press relating to Eoin Bradley signing a contract with Coleraine until the end of April. This does mean he is unavailable for Derry's NFL campaign. What annoys me most is that Eoin has come out and stated that the decision was taken out of his hands. Brian McIver has a panel of possibly 40 players, he is trying to build a team capable of competing with the best teams in Ireland. You can't have one player picking and chosing when they play for Derry. It is totally unrealistic for any individual to train with both Derry and Coleraine during the week, play with Coleraine on a Saturday, Derry on a Sunday and Glenullin on a Monday. Physically and mentally it's impossible and he is just kidding himself.

You cannot treat players who are training 4 nights a week with Derry with disrespect, players who train hard and are playing at the top of their game deserve their place in the starting line-up. You can't expect to turn your back on Derry for the NFL and expect to be there come Donegal.

GAA is in the blood, it's not about money. It's about representing your club at county level.

The days of Derry football being dictated by one player is over I hope.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 08/01/2014 15:56:02    1529054

Link

Oakgael.
While I agree wholeheartedly with all you say. Eogban has been a great player for Derry but the team is greater than the individual.
It is a great chance for Derrys talent to come to the fore in the competitive team we know they can be.
I agree with Brian mc Ivors management strategies to date.
it is time fo Derry to forget about individual egos and concentrate on team.

derryman (Derry) - Posts: 3246 - 08/01/2014 19:41:31    1529206

Link

I like Bradley and think he's one of the best forwards around. I also have no problem with him playing for Coleraine if he wishes. So, just to be clear are you both saying that you wouldn't take him back on the county team later this year? If so, would you say this is the typical opinion of the average Derry football person? I'm not attacking anyone, just genuinely interested.

Suas Sios (None) - Posts: 1370 - 10/01/2014 11:57:30    1529935

Link

Ex derry players and the media hype up alot of this circus we tend to /wash our linen in public/this should be done in house it is embaressing tit for tat quotes in papers and the media its time to call a halt to it.As for skinner he will miss the nfl so we have to soldier on without,hes scored alot for coleraine but couldnt find the net for Doire last summer,not sure Mc Ivor will bring him back unless he can be back for eastertime.Hoping for a big performance v Tyrone so we can start league well.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 10/01/2014 19:50:58    1530239

Link

Good luck to Eoin; I think in these times it is unfair to criticise any player for trying to make a few pounds at this time of year. I hope Eoin is back with Derry for the championship.

LoyalVin (Mayo) - Posts: 88 - 10/01/2014 20:25:27    1530264

Link

Haven't changed my opinion, you can only give your full commitment to one sport, if he wants to persue money and play soccer in a 2nd rate league that's his choice. I only want players playing for Derry who will give 100% to Derry. He is a top forward but he has chosen soccer end of story.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 10/01/2014 20:46:25    1530271

Link

Doire will argue and fight among ourselves as usual , only diff this season is that we did not wait till championship time to break jaws ect, we have started in january.. my stance is, eoins decision is his own , and his only. im not saying i like it , but its not my business .. i think joe brolly was very personal towards him , in todays derry journal . just like the sean cavanagh tantram he threw last year. id like to know the difference in an 1993 all ireland winning medalist taking trials for n f l aussie football, promoting and taking our futher stars out of the g a a , and eoin playing another sport . its the same result. good luck eoin , no matter what happens in the years ahead..

bonzo111 (Derry) - Posts: 190 - 10/01/2014 21:27:49    1530289

Link

after 9 years i think he is entitled to do what he wants but in an interview he said he would accept an offer from Linfield, I personally wouldn't want to represent that club if i was paid £500 a week

4KHDoneill (Derry) - Posts: 182 - 11/01/2014 21:07:25    1530544

Link

Doneill i ask the question are coleraine any better than linfield lol .. thats life , what can we do but carry on without him..

bonzo111 (Derry) - Posts: 190 - 12/01/2014 16:30:33    1530699

Link