Derry Forum

NOMINATIONS FOR DOIRE 2014 PANEL ??

(Oldest Posts First)

Any ideas of possible newcomers ? North men / South men comrades all ..

bonzo111 (Derry) - Posts: 190 - 24/07/2013 18:21:21    1441469

Link

midfielders - we were badly caught for cover this year - a recall for Caolan O Boyle - heard he is playing well this year ? thoughts anyone

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 344 - 24/07/2013 20:36:20    1441575

Link

oh dear i dont agree there lad. he was tried b4 and we could not keep him on his feet , i dont think he is good enough.

bonzo111 (Derry) - Posts: 190 - 27/07/2013 19:49:13    1443976

Link

IF our managment would have given m friel some n f l time , he WAS fit midway through . then when backs to the wall the day b4 first down game he was contacted, by this stage he had other commitments , and fair play to him he declined. he was a mid regular last year remember. one of the many wrongs v down in team selection, in my eyes.

bonzo111 (Derry) - Posts: 190 - 27/07/2013 19:53:23    1443977

Link

i agree that O'Boyle deserves a recall but not at midfield. Like James Kielt he does not have the aggression to play there. Noticed during the senior championship games at the weekend that there very few midfielders out there. a lot of teams played forwards like coleraine with deaghlan mullan, kilrea with James Kielt. to be honest i know he is not the best player but Michael Friel will guarantee that Derry don't get out muscled in midfield.
Also, i think Karl McKaigue from Slaughtneil, Wrinkle and Lloyd from Ballinderry, Ciaran McGoldrick from Coleraine and Peter Cassidy from Bellaghy have all been very impressive and could add a lot to the county panel.
Think Dublin have shown the way this year that pace is the new blanket defence, therefore we need to work Aaron Devlin and Deaghlan Mullan into the first team next year. Does anyone know if Emmet Bradley is capable of stepping up, have seen very little of him as he seems injury proned but he gets a lot of good press

southderrytone (Derry) - Posts: 5 - 29/07/2013 21:57:37    1447130

Link

Michael bateson

derryman (Derry) - Posts: 3246 - 30/07/2013 20:39:18    1448202

Link

we will agree to disagree on c o boyle , i saw him play in forward line also and same result, but nothing personal.. your right about j kielt in mid , as you say m friel not the most skillfull but we do need a big man in there to spoil. some interesting names . im wondering could c mc goldrick do a job for us second time round, i say give him a chance under mc ivor, he is useful and great pace.. where does lloyd play for ballinderry ?

bonzo111 (Derry) - Posts: 190 - 30/07/2013 20:45:22    1448215

Link

Just a few name's not seen much club football so let me know if these guys are up to it. Aidy McLaughlin, Stephen Cleary, Peter Quinn, Karl McKaigue, Donal McGilligan, Gerard Burke, Brian Doyle, Ciaran McGoldrick, Aaron Kerrigan and what about the Bradley brothers from Glen?

Be interesting if anyone can let me know if any of these guys would improve the county setup..

south_derry (Derry) - Posts: 47 - 30/07/2013 21:15:07    1448280

Link

Lloyd normally plays wing back because of his pace and ability to win breaking ball but can operate just as well at corner back, the only question is whether his dad will pick him?
Stephen McCleary is a great shout but unfortunately he works abroad which is a pity. I agree with Ciaran McGoldrick but like a lot of the new names he needs a proper run in the team not late sub appearances like the last time he was in the panel

southderrytone (Derry) - Posts: 5 - 30/07/2013 21:42:13    1448333

Link

south derrytone i know where your coming from with c mc goldrick , your right he needs a better chance , not sub appearances . would fergal mc guigan from dungiven be of any use ? he certainly has pace, size worries me though. kerrigan id like to see . martin donaghy did well in his last season with county , and was evicted. d. mc guckian seems to have an eye for scores , never seen him though.. i can recall a chap from screen seamus bradley prob 3 or 4 years ago , was unlucky to get badly hurt , how is he doing ? anyone know , he has been scoring. C. Carey eoghan rua ? can get goals .. we scorred very little goals this season. a mc laughlin i must take a look. where or what is lee moore at ? r mc elhinney dungiven has scorred heavy this season. D. mc vey loup? i dont know ? N Rocks newbridge , whats the score there ? spiers and kearns magherafelt ? C. Bradley slaughneill ? ive seen little to no intermediate or junior games this season so i cant speak of it, other than possibly R king limavady ? and finally the one and only PADDY BRADLEY , whether or not you like him ...

bonzo111 (Derry) - Posts: 190 - 31/07/2013 19:05:25    1449158

Link

mcguigan and mcelhinney in my opinion are as good as anyone in the county and deserve a chance. as far as seamus bradley and chrissy spears go. i think they are both great corner forwards however the way derry play at the moment with one man up front and the other forwards dropping back makes guys like seamus bradley, chrissy spiers, eoghan brown and collie devlin obsolete. dont get me wrong am really pleased with the progress Derry have made after how badly we fell last year and i love how much fight this group seems to have in them but am not a fan of playing one man up by himself and Mark Lynch isnt suited to playing as a sweeper(maybe Charlie Kielt or Barry McGoldrick)
As far as Paddy Bradley, people ought to rememebr that he is one of the five greatest players to pull on a Derry jersey. I fear though two big injuries like he has suffered would end a lot of careers. but if he is fit and healthy he deserves to be treated by respect by management and fans a like and he would only be good for derry in whatever role could be organised for him
but if i was to make a shock prediction both Paddy and Skinner wont be in the squad next year. i think the county board would like to see them gone because of how often they talk to the media and the long knives are sharpened. but it wouldnt be the derry county board if they were not trying to screw the team over some how

southderrytone (Derry) - Posts: 5 - 03/08/2013 21:16:43    1451822

Link