Derry Forum

Is All Well In Derry? What about our Youth?

(Oldest Posts First)

This was posted on the main page but has been moved here as the topic is more relevant to this site.

YouthCoach
Derry

19/06/2013
12:53

Is All Well In Derry? What about our Youth?

I have been a regular reader on these forums for a long time now and I have eventually decided to sign up an post. Next weekend Derry will host the All Ireland Feile for the second time in 3 years. It should really be a celebration of all things good about GAA but i'm not so sure. After the hosting of the GAA Congress a lot was made of how Derry Gaa members played a leading role in the introduction of the Black Card from next year, It was said how passionately all of the speakers were about the need for this Mechanism to stop the cynical fouling. I just wonder how passionate all these Derry Delegates are on the promotion of the GAA within their own County. Is it a case of the Public Face being totally different from the realities of providing games for our young people.
the code of Conduct drawn up for promotion of games for young people includes the following declaration
YOUNG PLAYERS should be entitled to:
1. Be safe and feel safe.
2. Have fun and experience a sense of enjoyment and fulfilment.
3. Be treated with respect, dignity and sensitivity.
4. Comment and make suggestions in a constructive manner.
5. Be afforded appropriate confidentiality.
6. Participate in games and competitions at a level at which they
feel comfortable.
8. Be listened to.
9. Make their concerns known and have them dealt with in an
10. appropriate manner.
11. Be protected from abuse.
in particular I would ask you to read points 2,3 and point 6. I would like you to consider those points and look at the results from last nights Under 14 results in grade C.
Drumsurn 8-17 1-3 Doire Colmcille
Desertmartin 1-2 3-13 Ballerin
Moneymore GAC 14-13 3-5 Foreglen
Lissan 5-15 0-5 Ardmore Lissan
Castledawson 8-11 1-6 Dungiven
Drum 0-3 7-23 Ballymaguigan
if you look at the Derry GAA website you will find that these scores are repeated week by week. The question I would ask is how much Fun and enjoyment would the players from Doire Colmcille, Desertmartin, Foreglen, Dungiven, Ardmore or Drum have got from last night. Would these players feel they are being treated with Respect and dignity in the current format. Would they feel they are participating in games and competitions at a level where they feel comfortable. As a coach of one of the teams on the receiving end of one of those defeats I can answer all of those questions the players come off the pitch every week feeling demoralised and worthless, I can assure you they dont enjoy it and to be honest I dont foresee a lot of these young players being about towards the end of the season. Its time for these officials elected at county conventions every year to start providing what the code of conduct says, so what if they have to provide 5 or 6 grades for each age group. The future of the Gaa is our young people if we continue as we are then I dont believe there is a future. Maybe its time for all those derry delegates to show the same passion for our young people that they did at Congress.

Administrator (None) - Posts: 2182 - 19/06/2013 12:59:04    1410650

Link

There certainly appears to be aneed to address this lopsided result . Perhaps the better/bigger clubs should be fielding two or more teams.

derryman (Derry) - Posts: 3246 - 19/06/2013 21:32:33    1411161

Link