Derry Forum

Afraid to jinx

(Oldest Posts First)

Derry have had their best league campaign since 2009. Brian Mc Ivor has a very young team playing a brand of football we all used to dream that Derry would aspire to. Each match they seem to improve as the game goes on . Each game they seem to improve a little from the last. Every week Derry have had at least one player in the Hoganstand team of the week. Each week there seems to be another young player stick his head up and grab our attention.
But I have never seen this board as quiet. Is it because we are afraid to jinx a young honest hard working team.
What can we expect this summer.
Here is what I think.
We will beat Westmeath in the div 2 final.
We will beat Down in the Championship.
We will not be easily beaten by Tyrone (I think they will beat Donegal)
Given a favorable draw and we avoid any of the big 6 we could progress to the 4th round of the qualifiers or beyond.
Now I hope I have not jinxed them

derryman (Derry) - Posts: 3246 - 11/04/2013 20:36:43    1366230

Link

I hope your right Derryman but we are better coming in under the radar,we had a good league but the championship will be tough Down game will be 50/50 i think but we should be competitive this summer.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 12/04/2013 11:57:46    1366459

Link

Derryman,
I think Derry are a fine young team with good manager and will be a handful for most teams.

93 vintageyear
I agree the game with Down is 50/50. We had a poor league but no team beat us easily and I think with Dan Gordon, Danny Hughes and hopefully Ambrose Rodgers back in the mix we should be competitive

downtothecore (Down) - Posts: 272 - 12/04/2013 14:26:34    1366593

Link

Down are always a good championship team and we are very much a work in progress - its important we dont get ahead of ourselves and remain grounded and realistic - we are definitely heading in the right direction and yes at home this is a game we could win but Down in the league and Down in the championship are 2 very different animals - but we have a league 2 final in Croke pk to look forward to and win or lose it will be great preparation for the Championship - Doire Abú !

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 344 - 14/04/2013 17:52:56    1367485

Link

We have to be pleased with Derry's performances so far this year and especially with the constant trend of improvement from game to game. Down have been average enough at times so far this season (I saw them in the league against Donegal and they were pretty poor that night, I thought) but they have always been a team that can burst into life come championship time which makes for a very interesting match in Celtic Park in a few weeks time. Both teams will feel that they are well capable of beating the other and I don't think the idea of losing a championship match ever enters James McCartan's head. Bring it on.

doiregael2 (Derry) - Posts: 334 - 14/04/2013 19:42:27    1367559

Link