Derry Forum

The Demise Of Derry Football

(Oldest Posts First)

I was dreading off the fence in todays Irish News knowing we would dominate it and so it was - all of the letters were spot on - and if our county board dont sit up and take notice of the crisis in our county that everyone else can see Longford will put us out of our misery on Saturday week as this current group of players (with the exception of a few) dont have the passion or character to bounce back and win this. Rebuilding will have to start right away there are a lot of dedicated Doire gaels who deserve more. Success breeds a feel good factor and we havent had it for a long time - people talk about our support or lack of it, in the `90`s we had very good support because we had a good team and were doing well. 60% of any county support is fickle enough and will come or go according to how the team are doing, we have a hardcore group of supporters who you would always see at the matches. You get to know their faces even if you dont know their names but lately I detect even they are getting tired of this whole thing and that is worrying - in these current recessionary times and economic doom and gloom people look to football to raise their spirits and escape from life for 70 plus minutes but when you are leaving grounds in worse mood than you went in to them you then start questioning your wisdom. I admire Tyrone and Donegal for the work they have done in recent years and their supporters are being rewarded in kind - as for us we can only hope for a forward thinking.

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 341 - 21/06/2012 20:34:40    1199542

Link

Doirebhoy in all honesty would it be a bad thing if longford did put yous to the sword. Its been a poor league and enough said about last time out. If went out of qualifiers its a chance to go back to the drawing board and start from scratch. Start rebuilding from a fresh because a time of change is needed very badly. Genuine post no srespect intended...

DUB1 (Dublin) - Posts: 5583 - 21/06/2012 21:17:03    1199568

Link

Yep, Year Zero for Derry football.

hermann (Derry) - Posts: 170 - 21/06/2012 21:59:47    1199610

Link

Last year we got to the ulster final and we got 10pts in league very nearly promoted 12 months on nearly relegated to div 3 and hammered by donegal 1st round,what happened in this period?i think backroom team should have been freshened up should have forgot about mckenna cup picked up alot of injuries during these games and focused on a decent league campaign mc camley scullion mcguckin [under21s]okane eoin bradley mcbride diver hadnt much if any league time so with 10 weeks since our last competetive game players not fully recovered from injury away to ulster champs donegal [top4/5 team]we never had a chance to cause an upset throw in lack of confidence from league results morale low change of approach to stop donegal backfired tremendously.We could have done with a game a gimme to get confidence structure of the team right n ot sure longford away is the game to get the show on the road again.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 22/06/2012 11:50:25    1199736

Link

i thought the tombstone picture was a bit over the top, yesterdays irish news should be pinned up on every dressing room wall in the county as the whole country think we'er a laughing stock. Its time to come out fighting and restore pride in the shirt, i believe there is a kick left in this team yet we will be going down to face a confident longford team that will have a big home crowd backing them sure if you can't get yourself motivated for that then your in the wrong game, i think its time to unleash the skinner

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 22/06/2012 13:02:27    1199811

Link

We'll probably hammer Longford and lose the next match after that.....

bosch (Derry) - Posts: 873 - 22/06/2012 14:38:13    1199900

Link

we definitely wont hammer them - we were beat by a point in an epic qualifier match in 2006 by them down in Pearse pk and they have improved under Glenn Ryan and we have went backwards - our summer will be over next sat

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 341 - 23/06/2012 12:19:16    1200299

Link

Derry don't do hammerings - taking them is another matter

hermann (Derry) - Posts: 170 - 23/06/2012 12:27:38    1200305

Link

This may not be of much benefit to ye now but 2 years ago Donegal and Donegal supporters were in the exact same position as ye.
Hammered by Armagh and the laughing stock of Ireland.

Then came McGuinness and the blanket and now look at us. I don't necessarily think Derry need to adopt them tactics but a fresh manager is a must. Brennan simple is too old school to compete with the level of professionalism that other teams have.

Derry have been unlucky with injuries and who knows with a new backroom setup I think Derry can challenge for honours again. For now, Im glad and hopeful that its Donegals time

dstuction (Donegal) - Posts: 1206 - 25/06/2012 08:54:40    1201383

Link

Derry have tried the Mc Guinness approach in Cassidy. Young, with a good CV, had a very obvious system for the players to follow, which demanded discipline and team sacrifice. Your main man Murpghy buys into the team system for Donegal or man Paddy Bradley would not, his conditioning was poor and he huffed. Also one of the other main fcators was you has anumber of quality players coming froma successful U21 team, we can't remember the last time we had a successful u21 team. These young players galvinised the older players because they had a taste of success with Mc Guinness at u21 and knew what it took. If Bradley had of been from Donegal he would have been dropped, like Kevin Cassidy was for not putting the team first.

MickeyMouse (Derry) - Posts: 173 - 25/06/2012 12:19:30    1201563

Link

i think pb is probably the most committed player in the squad who goes above and beyond in training and conditioning in his own time the others would need to follow. A major problem i think this year is the midfield last year we had Muldoon and James Kielt helping out around the middle and acting as playmakers who may I ask is doing that role this year? Oisin McConville hit the nail on the head he said recently a load of clubs have asked him to coach their forwards but Oisin said there's no point unless the players out the field can pass the ball in. Derry have no creative playmakers what so ever our two midfielders can't kick the ball, our half back line is full of ball carriers that can run all day but not master a simple kick pass. We need Gilligan playing deeper he is the only player i think we have at the moment that can play this role.

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 25/06/2012 14:32:57    1201762

Link

I hope the county players realise our reputation is in tatters ive relatives friends in the south and we are portrayed badly all over ireland i hope we can put in a performance v longford just to put a bit of pride back in the county jersey.Their are supporters in derry just want them beaten so club football wont be disrupted the world doesnt start in steelstown and end in ballinderry, the county is shown nationwide in a bad light we should be hurting but their alot of people couldnt give a monkeys.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 25/06/2012 21:20:20    1202182

Link

"People talk about losing fitness and sharpness, that's over-rated in the GAA, people saying about a lack of fitness, you don't. You just need to stick the ball over the bar. And belief." Benny Coulter after Downs victory over Monaghan - Belief being the key word you don't become bad players over night we need to believe again our attitude has to change and work rate has to go up when Derry work hard, we're as good as anybody, when we don't work hard, we're average. I'm traveling to
Longford because when you've hit rock bottom thats when you need the support the most, never be afraid to say your a Derry man some great players have honoured the jersey and gave there all and its time this bunch showed respect to the supporters by giving 100 percent, thats what we ask for when wearing the county jersey.

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 27/06/2012 09:41:14    1203206

Link

brolly_4_press, totally agree with you, when the chips are down that is when us the supporters need to get behind them more than ever. Myself and some of my family members will be in Longford on Saturday evening aswell. Fitness is one thing but you have to earn your right to win matches and that is what Derry have to do right now.

People are on here blaming this person and that person, blame will get us nowhere we all have to work together for the good of Gaelic Football in Derry. Clubs and the CountyBoard must be forward thinking and work together to put in place a long-term strategy that will enhance all levels of football within the county.

I just don't understand what happiness people get by wanting to see the County Footballers, Hurlers etc fail. What is their agenda I ask? What joy can be taken from seeing a player from your own club fail just because he represents his county. To me this is spiteful. I would honestly think that if Derry can become successful either at minor, U21 or Senior Level it would bring that hunger and passion back into the clubs like it did after Derry won the All-Ireland in 1993. Children\teenagers etc wanted to develop and play for Derry.

We need to instill a hunger and passion into our development squads and club teams that makes these young people want to represent their county in the future in whatever discipline they choose.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 27/06/2012 14:09:06    1203498

Link

Was very impressed with the Derry minor team v Donegal. Good strong outfit - wouldn't be surprised if you turned over Tyrone this weekend so its not all bad if you can stick by the young lads for a few years

supporter (Donegal) - Posts: 196 - 27/06/2012 14:55:16    1203572

Link

Good post OakGael. Saw this blog there yesterday which says alot of the same things you are saying

http://oakleafers.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/time-for-patience.html

rpmurphy (Derry) - Posts: 17 - 28/06/2012 08:30:36    1203997

Link

27/06/2012 14:09:06
OakGael
County: Derry

brolly_4_press, totally agree with you, when the chips are down that is when us the supporters need to get behind them more than ever. Myself and some of my family members will be in Longford on Saturday evening aswell. Fitness is one thing but you have to earn your right to win matches and that is what Derry have to do right now.

People are on here blaming this person and that person, blame will get us nowhere we all have to work together for the good of Gaelic Football in Derry. Clubs and the CountyBoard must be forward thinking and work together to put in place a long-term strategy that will enhance all levels of football within the county.

I just don't understand what happiness people get by wanting to see the County Footballers, Hurlers etc fail. What is their agenda I ask? What joy can be taken from seeing a player from your own club fail just because he represents his county. To me this is spiteful. I would honestly think that if Derry can become successful either at minor, U21 or Senior Level it would bring that hunger and passion back into the clubs like it did after Derry won the All-Ireland in 1993. Children\teenagers etc wanted to develop and play for Derry.

We need to instill a hunger and passion into our development squads and club teams that makes these young people want to represent their county in the future in whatever discipline they choose.

Good post there Oakgael, Very arguable points. I hope to see a reasonable amount of Derry support in Longford on Saturday and not just you and your family and me and my family lol. Joe Brolly mentioned a very valid point on the Sunday game last weekend, Donegal are training 10+ times a week, I was talking to a man in Ballybofey and told me of the gym work and the time the Donegal players put in and how not one of the Donegal players (even the subs) Haven't a bad word to say about McGuinness. Also as a frequent visitor to Donegal for holidays I notice the fundraising work they do for the county to enable the players to get rewarded, Trips and activities which enable the team and manager to bond, Even outside the ground before the match I noticed the people out with buckets for the Donegal team fund to enable these such activities to happen. The thing I notice about the Donegal in comparison to the Derry team is that they are 100% loyal to their manager and the other players, They enjoy playing with and for each other. I don't really think that there is the same respect for one and other or towards the manger going on in Derry as I heard that some players on our county team wont even pass the ball to eachother while playing for the county team. It may be quite financial to run such team building and training activities but it has proven success with our neighbors as we can see! Derry dont seem to have the team ethnic that Donegal do, Once the players feel they are being respected and looked after well they will not mind putting in the commitment to play for their county. Once a team have that loyalty to the other team mates and to their manager it gives them more hunger and determination to win for each other and for the rest of the county and not just to win for themselves. Anyways, Rant over. All the best to the players on Saturday and may the best team win. Doire Abú

Orlaith (Derry) - Posts: 4282 - 28/06/2012 17:41:41    1204389

Link