Derry Forum

Donegal v Derry

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

OAKGAEL its 3 days later and i can not get this embarrasment out of my head , worst weekend in my life following Doire .. and did DONEGAL NOT HALF RUB IT IN . THEY SEEM TO KNOW A LOT ABOUT SOMETHING CALLED LONDON DERRY , TYRONE ALL IS FORGIVEN (FOR NOW ) LOL.. I DONT THINK MY HEART WOULD LET ME TRAVEL , TO LET THE FREESTATERS FROM LONGFORD LAUGH IN OUR FACE ALSO. REFERENCE WAS MADE BY A MAN OF 80 YEARS OLD ON SUNDAY, THAT THIS WAS THE WORST DOIRE TEAM SINCE THE 40 S.. WHO AM I TO ARGUE .. OPEN THE GATES . . LET THE RUBBISH OUT , SORT OUT THE COUNTY BOARD, ONE DOIRE SIDE PULLING TOGETHER, AT THE MINUTE ITS A THREE WAY DIVIDE , NORTH AND SOUTH DOIRE THEN ADD DOIRE CITY.. THE FIGHTING DOIRE MEN , NEVER MIND THE FIGHTING IRISH.. WILL WE EVER BE ANYTHING AGAIN .. ???????

bonzo111 (Derry) - Posts: 190 - 19/06/2012 18:28:24    1198057

Link

I don't think Derry will be as bad the next outing , Longford is a hard place to go and get a result but with game time under the 2 Bradley boys I think you'll edge it .

fortyfive (Tyrone) - Posts: 5929 - 20/06/2012 20:55:22    1198844

Link

After the league game in Omagh I thought at least Derry can't be as bad again. After the second half capitulation in Mullingar I thought the same. After Saturday's display in Ballybofey I just don't know any more. I shall be in Longford on Saturday week but more out of stubbornness than genuine belief.

doiregael2 (Derry) - Posts: 330 - 20/06/2012 21:53:56    1198913

Link

Derry_ledd, to answer your question 'How many years have these development squads being going?', the answer is they have been running properly for two years. Current development squads bear absolutely no relation to the current senior team. Have a wee think about it.

rpmurphy (Derry) - Posts: 17 - 21/06/2012 15:11:22    1199247

Link

rpmurphy, Im not sure what you mean by properly running for two years. What was being done before that then if it wasn't being done properly?

link
link

Derry_ledd (Derry) - Posts: 2093 - 22/06/2012 12:24:12    1199766

Link

Not sure what you mean either rPMurphy i took lads from our club down to development squads as early as 2004 which is 8 years ago now and i wasnt told then that they werent "proper" development squads - Can you enlighten us - i didnt hear an announcement from our county board 2 years ago saying our development squads are now being run "properly"

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 344 - 23/06/2012 12:24:26    1200303

Link

Development squads until two years ago were not supported by the major clubs. Until ywo years ago we routinely took a stuffing in the U16 Buncranna cup because the major clubs didn't support the development squads. This has changed because Club Derry has financed these squads much better and with winning the Buncranna cup this has encouraged young players to make themselves available more. Success breeding success. Also I will go further and say that this year minors are a result of the go game concept, the very first group of players who were introduced to it at u12 6 years ago in derry to improve our coaching standards with young players.

MickeyMouse (Derry) - Posts: 173 - 25/06/2012 12:25:33    1201572

Link

Sorry lads, been busy. What MickeyMouse said is spot on...whole pile of factors from not being properly supported financially to more importantly not being supported by the 'bigger clubs'. Thankfully both those seem sorted now and it can only bode well for the future. That was my point.

rpmurphy (Derry) - Posts: 17 - 25/06/2012 13:48:41    1201692

Link

MickeyMouse also highlights another factor...forget development squads for a second...the standard of underage football in Derry is probably higher now that it has been for some time. Maghera are cleaning up or there or thereabouts at Ulster Colleges level and that's only a handful of clubs in south Derry. If you see the standard of the Lavey's and the Bellaghy's etc etc at u10 and u12 tournaments across Ulster you'll see what I mean too. Dungiven u14s were beat by the Feile champions there at the weekend in the semi-final. The quality is there or is coming.

Clubs in Derry have put serious work into underage this past 5-6 years, something which was maybe taken for granted before that. Go Games and coach education etc has all helped. Having watched alot of it, I'd even go out on a limb and say Derry underage football is as good, if not better, than anything in Ulster. That doesn't guarantee winning county teams all the same and that's the next challenge for the county. The levels of professionalism of other counties needs to be matched by Derry. If we can do that, the quality is there to be as good as anyone else in Ulster for a long time to come. I think we're in a much better position than people realise. Obviously not at senior level which will take a bit of time and patience to achieve.

rpmurphy (Derry) - Posts: 17 - 25/06/2012 14:35:54    1201768

Link

to MM and RPMurph - ok thanks i think im a bit wiser now - hopefully we are heading in the right direction -

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 344 - 25/06/2012 16:30:56    1201906

Link