Derry Forum

Senior football in Derry City

(Oldest Posts First)

Well done to Steelstown today on gaining promotion to the Senior football division. Its a massive achievement for the club and is just rewards for the effort that has gone into the club over the last couple of years. I'm not a football man never mind a Brian Ogs man but I am a city man and am very proud of all involved with the club. Well done.

pig.ignorant (Derry) - Posts: 655 - 19/11/2011 21:02:10    1072188

Link

Congratulations To Steelstown on securing division 1 football and senior status for next season -great achivement

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 344 - 20/11/2011 11:12:34    1072287

Link

As a proud member of Brian Ógs words cant describe the pride that came along with yesterdays victory. All year the boys worked blood sweat and tears and yesterday it finally paid off. A huge credit to them and to the management. Yesterdays win will be great for GAA in the city as it gives young people something to look up to. I'm immensely proud of the team and of the club, First city team in 50 years to get into senior football in Derry. Some achievement for a club of 25 years this year. BHAILE STÍL BHRIAN ÓIGS ABÚÚÚÚÚ! I'd just like to end saying Hard luck to Newbridge yesterday. They'll give it another lash next year and hopefully will be back in division 1 :D

Orlaith (Derry) - Posts: 4282 - 20/11/2011 13:14:24    1072355

Link

Orlaith, yes definately a great achievement by Steelstown and after the hearbreak of losing a great young club member in Brian Og in recent years I hope this achievement goes some way to alieviating that heartbreak.

I am from a club just outside the city boundaries and I hope the people of Steelstown and the wider GAA community in Derry see this as a major step for GAA in the city and it's future development. One last point, the biggest challenge now to Steelstown is stay in division 1 next year and that will not be easy.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 21/11/2011 12:16:17    1072939

Link

21/11/2011 12:16:17
OakGael
County: Derry

Orlaith, yes definately a great achievement by Steelstown and after the hearbreak of losing a great young club member in Brian Og in recent years I hope this achievement goes some way to alieviating that heartbreak.

I am from a club just outside the city boundaries and I hope the people of Steelstown and the wider GAA community in Derry see this as a major step for GAA in the city and it's future development. One last point, the biggest challenge now to Steelstown is stay in division 1 next year and that will not be easy.

100% correct, The hard work starts now for the men. A win of this calibre brings huge emotion to every member of the club as I have no doubt that Brian would of lined out on Saturday and would of wore the blue and gold number 5 jersey with pride, Sadly he couldn't but winning promotion on Saturday was much more emotional. Everyone went out on Saturday and did what had to be done and did it in memory of Brian Óg and for the club. So many finals the men have been in but lost by a small margin of 1 or 2 points. The 2010 intermediate final, u21 final and then the 2011 league final, to name a few. Steelstown got what they deserved on Saturday and I'm so proud of all the boys. Great to see the support and messages from people in other areas of Derry both north and south and from clubs like Dolans and Colmcille who would be seen as the local rivals. Much appreciated, Will be great to have senior football in the city in somewhere other than Celtic park. And hopefully a few city names to the Derry intercounty panel too would be brilliant for the promotion of Gaelic games here in the city.

Orlaith (Derry) - Posts: 4282 - 21/11/2011 19:08:48    1073258

Link

Totally agree Orlaith with 99% of your post, with regards to some of the Steelstown players getting onto the county panel. There is a huge gulf in class from club football especially players not yet competing in division 1 to participating at county level. I am in no way saying these players are not capable of making the step-up to county football. The great Sean Boylan took players from divisions 2 & 3 and put them in the county team, if a player has the ability and the necessary appetite, commitment that goes with being a county football then the very best of luck.

I have relatives connected to the Steelstown club and they are absolutely elated at the minute and rightly so and I hope my club will be back-up in Division 1 next year.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 22/11/2011 12:16:26    1073618

Link

A great result for Steelstown and some progress in a fairly short time.It's great to see a senior team in the city so let's hope they can build on it next year.

northpole (Derry) - Posts: 739 - 24/11/2011 09:59:32    1074826

Link