Derry Forum

Derrys Trip to Croke Park

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

As i predicted the ref / leinster official/ mostly in the first half gave kildare 5pts from frees which were very soft mc bride friel contested 50/50 balls and was penalised for a foul.The great johnny doyle 6ts from frees,derry battled well had got a goal disallowed should have been leading at half time.thus the 2nd half as we jaded kildare pulled away.Im still proud of derry for their efforts this year hopefully brennan gives it another year brings them 2 next level,kildare didnt get into their condition in 1 season so derry can improve.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 24/07/2011 10:30:04    993170

Link

Thanks to all the Derry lads for all the effort they put in this year. We have improved in the past year, very unlucky not to get promoted and the first Ulster Final in a long time. Injuries and lets just say unlucky decisions going against us cut short our championship. Lets take it on from here and get first division football back in Derry and lets hope we have a bit more of the rub of the green next year!! Doire Abu

doire abu (Derry) - Posts: 540 - 24/07/2011 11:36:26    993222

Link

i have to agree i thought we got some very sofe frees at times but there was other times i felt we should have got frees and didnt get them. these things balance themselves out. it was an entertaining game lads and best of luck next year!

Possom (Kildare) - Posts: 322 - 24/07/2011 11:40:47    993227

Link

The referee in your match was awful, soft frees for Kildare throughout the game. Look on the bright side, you's didn't get embarrassed like Down did. Its hard to stomach getting beat by so much.

MourneArmy (Down) - Posts: 1787 - 24/07/2011 15:06:16    993428

Link

Where were all these Derry supporters eh? 7,000+ 'fans' 6 days before and the Derry GAA twitter announced Derry had 1,082 fans at Croke park yesterday out of 32,000. I was at the game myself, how a leinster referee got to ref a leinster team is beyond me, No hard feeling though. Derry simply were not good enough and the times where they needed to go harder they failed, Possession was a big problem for Derry too in my opinion, Also the forward line wasn't strong enough to beat off the Kildare defence, Ah well whats another year? Roll on McKenna cup :D There will probably be about 6 fans at that giving the attendance yesterday...

Orlaith (Derry) - Posts: 4282 - 24/07/2011 19:16:53    993653

Link

Orlaith, get off your high horse there and wind your neck in would you.

To go to Dublin, get tickets paying for diesel, food etc is expensive for a family even more so with just 5 days notice (venue wasn't arranged until Monday). Just because you went to the game don't make you a better fan then those that sat at home and listened to it on the radio.

Fr.Ted.Crilly (Derry) - Posts: 449 - 24/07/2011 21:04:56    993828

Link

I have been to many derry games this last ten years including 1/4 and semifinals. But from where i am sitting this has been the most enjoyable year in 10 years. I am proud of the magnificent effort and great footballing performances I have seen this year. I dont think any team could have progressed further given the injuries and adverse decisions that seem to have haunted JBs team of 2011. Please John rethink your decision and stay for at least 1 more year not only is the team happy the supporters are happy. Can I also say that I believe that some players have really set out their stall and shown themselves as leaders and deserving of mention. Joe Diver my man of the championship. Charlie Kielt as good a half back as you will get Dermot mc Bride fast becoming one of the best backs in the country. James Friel a good first year and will improve. Indeed there were few if any weak links but i felt these few needed special mention. I am looking forward to next year already.

derryman (Derry) - Posts: 3246 - 24/07/2011 21:26:44    993877

Link

May I start by offering myy sincere thanks to the players & management for a valent effort this year and for getting us to an Ulster final and a day out (all be it in the qualifiers) in Croke Park.

On the match I can put my hand on heart and say Kildare deserved their victory but I have to take issue with the GAA in appointing a Leinster referee who is also has his brother and son as umpires yesterday. We ask for fair play and the GAA is all about fair play (or it's meant to be) but where is the fair play in appointing a leinster referee to take charge of a game involving a leinster team? He gave Derry nothing yesterday and anything he did it was hard earned. He penalised Derry players for fouls that were going unpunished when Kildare did the same. Mark Lynch was taken out by a sliding tackle in the second half and he waved play on. Mickey Friel got a yellow card for winning a 50\50 ball. There was no way in hell that he or his umpires could decide on the square ball and after watching it over n over on tv the goal should have stayed. I though the bnefit of the doubt is given to the forward when questionable decisions arise.

Kildare constantly stopped the Derry players off the ball with a blatant tactic of stopping the runner and this went unpunished all day.

Having watched Cork v Down I must admit Ulster teams are light years behind the likes of Cork and Kerry. Kildare fans who I spoke with yesterday reckoned they are on a par with Cork but I am sorry to say, yes you are a physically strong side but when you come up against Crk or Kerry you will be found out. Derry ran at the heart of your defence yesterday and were getting through with ease.

McGeeney and Kildare will end trophy less this year again I'm afraid, nothing to do with yesterdays results as you deserved the result yesterday but I feel yous are being built-up into something yous are not.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 24/07/2011 21:52:56    993909

Link

On Saturday, I also took serious issue with the ref. I wasnt around many Derry fans and was worrying that I was bein a sore loser, but I am glad to see many agree with me. It was the timing of the frees he gave Kildare as well as the softness which annoyed me. After the mess he made of the Kildare v Meath game I am very annoyed the GAA seen fit to give him another Kildare game.

Anyway, its all done with now, and while it was not our best year we have alot to be positive about. I enjoyed the year and hope we have turned a corner. I really hope Brennan stays another year or two. There is silverware in that team with him at the helm yet.

DOIRE ABU

Derry_ledd (Derry) - Posts: 2093 - 25/07/2011 08:18:50    993937

Link

have to agree with that orlaith gurl about the attendence at the game on saturday, there were more seagulls in croke park than there were derry supporters, bloody embarrassing especially considering the crowd who went to the prestige ulster final the week before...our fairweather friends....father ted crilly cryin about the cost of diesel, ticket prices etc is horseshit...had derry won yesterday and been drawn against one of the big fish would you have got the cash from somewhere to get to the game????I think so...why? because you pick and choose when and where to follow derry like all of the rest of the glory hunters...were all in the same boat or hadnt you noticed....i had to 'borrow' me mas pension book for the week to get to the game and did it bother her???? not one bit

john brennan has brought a bit of sunshine to derry in the last while but he has also offered us the same old forecast and he has been shown to be naive. tactics against donegal were wrong as they were yesterday. kevin mccloy and kevin mcguckian looked like they were carrying a ball and chain around with them and everytime the long ball came in to the kildare full forwards I had to close my eyes and pretend I was father ted crilly, (a long long way away from the action) as it looked like goals were on the way, im amazed that they didnt get a few and the truth of the matter is that derry should have lost by the same margin as the down boys

wholesale clearout needed for next year, including the management

up derry

spudmunky (Derry) - Posts: 29 - 25/07/2011 11:10:41    994116

Link

Spudmonkey
if you call that support you would be vetter to stay away Also. Could not agree with any thing you said this team gave all they had for the shirt and dont need this kind of unfounded negativity

derryman (Derry) - Posts: 3246 - 25/07/2011 11:37:10    994165

Link

24/07/2011 21:04:56
Fr.Ted.Crilly
County: Derry

Orlaith, get off your high horse there and wind your neck in would you.

To go to Dublin, get tickets paying for diesel, food etc is expensive for a family even more so with just 5 days notice (venue wasn't arranged until Monday). Just because you went to the game don't make you a better fan then those that sat at home and listened to it on the radio.

Well Father, If the people wouldn't of spent so much on drink on the final they could of been to Croke park, Not all 9,000 of the Derry 'fans' who were there at the Ulster final didn't have the money for the game, Fair enough if you dont have the money you simply dont have the money but dont use that as an excuse for those fair weathered fans and the lack of support around the county. I bet you there would of been at least 5x more support had it of been a quarter final. Just because its the qualifiers people don't want to know. I think your sheltering yourself from this issue and forcing yourself to believe that only 1,084 Derry fans were at the match because they are the ones with the money. Nonsense

Orlaith (Derry) - Posts: 4282 - 25/07/2011 12:27:49    994305

Link

Spudmonkey - you really need to take a hard look at yourself. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford and attend Derry matches as I only have myself to buy a ticket for. People's priorities have changed over the last number of years due to the economic downturn and families who have only one parent bringing in a wage have to prioritise their spending and I think attending a Gaa match would not be top priority. I have friends who are very loyal Derry fans and take their kids to underage club games all over the county. Do not judge people for attending Gaa county matches as you don't know their personal circumstances.

Yes, they are armshair supporters but you get these in all counties.

Your comment on the match and individuals in particular is uncalled for, and to call for a clearout is ridiculous. Yes, I feel we do need to freshen-up certain areas of the pitch but I don't think a total overhaul is needed. We got to an Ulster final and win the McKenna cup I wouldn't call that disastrous compared to previous years. Players like Enda Muldoon, Kevin McCloy and Ken McGuckin has been good servants to Derry over the years and If Saturday was to be their last match in a Derry jersey then I would say thanks for their efforts.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 25/07/2011 12:37:13    994331

Link

It is certainly a bit much to expect the players to get themselves up for that game when the supporters could not. In truth the Kildare fans call for square ball outdone Derrys murmur of approval for Muldoons Goal. Teams with big support do get better decisions.

derryman (Derry) - Posts: 3246 - 25/07/2011 12:38:36    994337

Link

Even the name of this post "Derry's trip to Croke Park" sums up our attitude we should be aiming for 1/4 finals every year not once in a blue moon. I feel we have improved this year even if we were hit with a number of injurys, and i hope John Brennan stays to get the best out of our players and the Bradleys. Its looking likely Enda will retire what a player and a man and im glad to have seen him play his last match in Croke Park and score a goal ( as there was not a thing wrong with it), there is also question marks over the futures of McCloy and McGuckin who i felt did well on Saturday but we need to look at supporting our defense the two kevin's were left exposed one on one to often. I dont get why you all question our support i class myself as a hardcore fan but even the McKenna's dont go to the McKenna Cup, we have always had a limited support and your always going to get hangers on at finals who dont even know the players names but you take that for granted and move on forget out crying about our fanbase and get worried about our team and lack of sweeper system

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 25/07/2011 13:25:52    994443

Link

Orlaith

For your information I wasn't at the game because I had to work on Saturday, however I was at all the home league games and every championship game so far. I stood in Celtic Park in the freezing cold when Derry bent over for Laois so don't dare call me a fair-weather supporter. I know there are bandwagon supporters, every county has them I would say however many of those at the game last Sunday couldn't go for monetary reasons, other due to prior commitments etc. The scheduling for Derry was truly awful and the Ulster council should be ashamed for their fixtures this year having known the beaten finalists would play 6 days after the Ulster final. Regardless, you always come on here bumming and blowing about the amount of games you go to etc, it isn't a competition, so hows about you just stop going on as if you are the number one fan, because you go to a few games. I don't imagine you had to pay the cost of your trips to Croke Park or Clones anyway.

Fr.Ted.Crilly (Derry) - Posts: 449 - 25/07/2011 15:04:36    994656

Link

derryman and oakgael and fr crilly

i didnt see an 'O' in spudmunky...bit o respect if you dont mind....like.....

i am a single parent and i have 9 children aged between 5 and 19. they know i look forward every year to see derry play what 7 or 8 games n the national league and another 3 or 4 in the championship and they clubbed together for christmas and bought me a £70 season ticket knowing that it would make me a very happy derry supporter. through the year. i dont go to the pub and rarely have a drink at home. im also happy with that. money is very tight but its always spent very wisely

outside of my children derry are my next and only love

people can make all the excuses they want about not attending whether its prior work committments, lack of money, shortage of limbs or limited intelligence but at the end of the proverbial day, thats all they are....excuses.

' losing is disapointing. i dont like losing. i dont blame the six day turnaround. i give credit to kildare. they were the hungrier team, far hungrier....I would always think that i put out a hungry team for success, but they outworked us......they are organised and they gave all they have which is fantastic. IF I HAD PLAYERS WHO GAVE ALL THEY HAD WE COULD HAVE WON THAT' (j brennan Irish News 25 July 2011: my capitals) no mention of the baffling lack of cover for our backs in two important games on the bounce. So tt wasnt johns fault we lost then, it was the players fault. something tells me john is shirking his responsibilities to the players and our limited travellin support by making excuses..

that orlaith gurl should start her own loyal derry supporters club and bring the other five all with her...!!!

stand up anyone with a spine in their back.....

up derry

spudmunky (Derry) - Posts: 29 - 25/07/2011 15:45:07    994741

Link

There is no point in petty squibling about support we have what we have,i understand we brought 9000 to the final and a week later 1200 or whatever 2 HQ obviously money is an issue travel also their maybe should have been better incentives for families cheaper deals because HQ was 1/4 full.AS for doire 2011 we have progressed under JB unlucky with injuries decisions etc he deserves another year 2 keep momentum going the players want him also no point in changing now.MC geeney 4yrs over kildare seasoned outfit were only 1 yr into this so need stability to progress 2 the next level.Were at the minute about 9th in order of merit so next year we have 2 set our sights on top 5 and ulster title.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 25/07/2011 17:03:45    994929

Link