Derry Forum

The Ulster final

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Progress has been made, with a badly weakened team and had we got the penalty we could have made it look alot closer on the score board. Thanks to the team and management for putting a bit of belief back into Derry football. Kildare wont be easy at all and the 6 day turnaround might go against us but its another chance for us to see how far we've come from last years mauling in Celtic Park.

This_Year (Derry) - Posts: 105 - 18/07/2011 14:15:46    988074

Link

Guys well played yesterday in a good sporting game and best of luck in the All Ireland series.

Two points. Donegals was a stonewall penalty. Michael Murphy gets to the ball first, the keeper comes out and does not get the ball and takes Murphy out, meaning Murphy has no chance of getting another touch on the ball. Those are 3 indisputable facts and the benefit when the goalkeeper makes contact with the player and not the ball, must always go to the attacker. As for the penalty itself- the keeper could and should have saved it if he spent less time coming off his line and more focus on diving. The ball hit the net nowhere near the corner.

As for Derrys penalty shout- yes it was a penalty but in a crowded goal area with 5 or 6 players around the ball/incident, I can understand why the Ref may not have seen it, perhaps there should have been some communication with the umpire.

As for refereeing decisions on the whole. arguably the officials cost Donegal 4 points in the first half by chalking off a good point and not playing advantage when Cassidy was in on goal.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 232 - 18/07/2011 15:05:11    988163

Link

Sure what is an Ulster final ever only big physical unskillful Northern Ireland football. It is probably the worst advertisement for the game there is.

bbilly (Galway) - Posts: 414 - 18/07/2011 15:36:09    988221

Link

Manus

HMMMMMM Indeed not at at all biased. Deegan was 50 metre away when he officiated on the donegal penalty and 15 metres away with unhindered view of the penalty he chose not to give to Derry. He has explaining to do but I wont hold my breath.

derryman (Derry) - Posts: 3246 - 18/07/2011 15:40:01    988228

Link

Genuine hard luck to Derry thought the football ye played against Armagh was the best by any Northern team this year and ye have had rotten luck with injuries. The six day turnaround is a nonsence and totally unfair to the beaten Ulster finalists as they are the only team that have to put up with it.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1403 - 18/07/2011 16:10:46    988294

Link

not just ulster finalists have a six day turn around Kildare had only the same after there defeat to the dubs whats good for one is good for all.

lillymadfan (Kildare) - Posts: 1085 - 18/07/2011 16:19:18    988309

Link

bbilly

Aye unlike you purists over in the west, when the two top scorers for most of the first half in the Galway Mayo game were the 2 goal keepers.

Fr.Ted.Crilly (Derry) - Posts: 449 - 18/07/2011 16:23:49    988318

Link

ManusFromHeaven

Murphy kicked the ball wide before he made contact with the keeper thus no foul. it was a collision of 2 players and how the ref was so definite that Devlin was in the wrong from 50 years away astounds me.

Fr.Ted.Crilly (Derry) - Posts: 449 - 18/07/2011 16:24:56    988321

Link

Not being hard on yous but on Saturday in Croker I will be expecting nothing less than a comfortable Kildare victory. Derry will find it very hard to bounce back 6 days after an Ulster final defeat. Remember last year aswell when in the 4th round we got drawn against the losers of the Ulster final, it was Monaghan who lost the final so we played them in Croker 6 days later and we beat them easily. Also without the two Bradley's Derry are lacking in scoring threat up front. Our full back line has been very impressive over the last number of games, we have only conceded one goal in Championship football this season and that was against the Dubs. Mick Foley in my opinion is the best full back in the country along with Kevin Reilly of Meath. Anyway back to the game, I feel that we will have too much for Derry up front with the likes of O'Connor, O'Flaherty, O'Neill, Callaghan and now Kavanagh who is returning to form. The one area on the pitch where I feel we are weak is in Midfield which was shown against Meath the other day. We have Johnny Doyle in there who is a natural full forward and Daryl Flynn who is only back after 5 months on the sideline with injury. Hugh Lynch is a massive loss for us, I feel if we had a chance of winning Sam this year we would need to keep Hugh Lynch fit as I think he is a great fielder of the ball and at least with him in midfield we could of brought Flynn in with him and put Doyle up in the forward line again where he is virtually un-markable. Anyway for this game I am going to go with a Kildare victory by 5+ points.

celbo_boy (Kildare) - Posts: 128 - 18/07/2011 16:27:11    988327

Link

lillymadfan
County: Kildare

not just ulster finalists have a six day turn around Kildare had only the same after there defeat to the dubs whats good for one is good for all.

We had 13 days to recover from the Dublin game. The last time we had 6 IIRC was after the 09 Leinster final when we beat Wicklow in Portlaoise.

6 days after a provincial final defeat won't be easy for Derry, but if they've any aspirations of continuing on to greater things they'll have to shake it off and begin the preparations for Saturday afternoon.

Tobealily (Kildare) - Posts: 125 - 18/07/2011 16:28:36    988329

Link

Fr Ted Crilly- Murphy did not KICK the ball wide- he got a touch to the ball with his hand to take it past the keeper, he was prevented from getting to the ball by the onrushing keeper who made NO Contact with the ball and took Murphy out.

Its is a penalty 100 times outta 100 in soccer. Its actually the classic example of a penalty in soccer. In GAA to get a clear cut penalty you need to be rugby tackled to the ground- and even then there is debate. This was a penalty tho, no doubt.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 232 - 18/07/2011 17:27:06    988439

Link

ManusfromHeaven - you must have been watching the murphy penalty incident from heaven! Murphy bought it and got away with it.

Unfortunately without the Bradleys we simply don't have the quality movement, pace or scoring power in the full forward line that was needed especially against the ultra effective blanket defence of Donegal. As good and as honest a player as deets is he was just out-muscled and out-paced by the blanket defence. Again O'Boyle was disappointing, he needs good accurate ball in on top of him around the square to be any good and Lynch didn't show the experience and leadership that was required.

Grasping at the positives, our defence improved with good displays from McBride, McGuckin and Charlie Kielt. Our midfield played well and certainly got no favours from Mr Deegan. Friel got blatently pushed in the back twice right in front of the referee and got nothing, yet amazingly he was able to see (at the very least) a very dubious penalty from over 50 yards away. I know referees have a difficult job but its just hard to understand that penalty call. To add insult to injury Emmett McGuckin is taken out with a frontal charge in the penalty area and gets nothing. Donegal may have gone on and won anyway but then again they may not.

topcat1 (Derry) - Posts: 25 - 18/07/2011 18:20:29    988520

Link

Manus, agree 100%. Devlin took him down with his foot and he was practically standing on the penalty spot beside him when he was taking the penalty.And anyway what goes around comes around. Murphy had a certain "point" disallowed and why was the advantage rule not used for Cassidys's "goal'. There were Derry supporters behind me and even they agreed

joseywales (Donegal) - Posts: 199 - 18/07/2011 18:50:03    988574

Link

must admit it was no penalty but derry really beat themselves on the line, dont think any of donegal team could believe why derry didn't play with a sweeper

johndoherty25 (Donegal) - Posts: 82 - 18/07/2011 18:53:54    988583

Link

johndoherty25
County: Donegal

988583 must admit it was no penalty but derry really beat themselves on the line, dont think any of donegal team could believe why derry didn't play with a sweeper

imo i think derrys downfall was themselves first half they played in the long ball which won frees to convert points also long balls found there target men to win points,but they changed tactics towards to end of the first half and every attack then on was closed down every derry attck was greeted by roughly 6 to 7 donegal men which led to the attck been broken down and donegal to counter attack which resulted in points

anyway good game derry wish yous all the best against kildare!!!!

dubbydave. (Dublin) - Posts: 3927 - 18/07/2011 19:40:53    988641

Link

I thought the Derry defence did okay overall in keeping a potent Donegal full-forward line to eleven points and a debatable penalty - we probably would have settled for that at the start of the game. As for the penalty changing the match, I thought it was the concession of the next two points that really killed Derry; Donegal were comfortable from then on, they sat back and played their well-practiced patterns very efficiently and ran out easy enough winners in the end. From a Derry point of view, our forwards lacked the pace and movement required to break down a very well organised defence and early high ball into Cailean O'Boyle wasn't tried very much either, which seemed to defeat the purpose of having a six foot four full-forward in there. All year, the constant refrain from John Brennan on the sidelines has been 'move, Derry, move'; he knew this day was coming. The aim all along has been to develop a style of play to overcome the blanket defence and this Derry team has progressed an awful lot in the past few months. Sunday wasn't our day but there's a kick in this Derry team yet, there are a lot of good footballers there who can and will play much better the next day. Whatever happens next Saturday, this Derry team have already restored a lot of pride in the county and I for one have thoroughly enjoyed following them this year. Well done so far, lads, and give Kildare hell on Saturday. Doire Abú!

doiregael2 (Derry) - Posts: 334 - 19/07/2011 15:44:10    989404

Link

I wanted to say unbelievable the amount of supporters derry had at clones on sunday it was 4 times what was at the semi,28000 people at ulster final hope 2 see many at HQ saturday to get behind the team.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 19/07/2011 20:26:13    989785

Link

County: Galway

988221 Sure what is an Ulster final ever only big physical unskillful Northern Ireland football. It is probably the worst advertisement for the game there is.

Yes i mean the Connacht Semi Final your lot participated in was a thrilling affair wasnt it. Jesus wept.

Samsforthehills (Donegal) - Posts: 1019 - 19/07/2011 21:45:11    989887

Link

19/07/2011 20:26:13
93vintageyear
County: Derry

I wanted to say unbelievable the amount of supporters derry had at clones on sunday it was 4 times what was at the semi,28000 people at ulster final hope 2 see many at HQ saturday to get behind the team.

Aye but a lot of bandwagon support give up then once the team looses, we'll be back to our 5,000 that was in celtic park for the fermanagh game, or even mckenna cup attendances... I'll be there thats all that matters, DOIRE ABU hehe

Orlaith (Derry) - Posts: 4282 - 20/07/2011 16:56:47    990537

Link