Derry Forum

Is this the worst Derry team ever??

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Is the problems in Derry not something to do with the schools?
From a distance it looks like the rot began to set in when Big Adrian left Maghera.

BIG SACKS (Tyrone) - Posts: 1681 - 25/08/2010 18:21:24    756341

Link

definitely big sacks your right that was the start although i see we retained the buncrana cup this year at u16 so maybe just maybe we are turning a corner - too early to say but......................

doirebhoy (Derry) - Posts: 344 - 25/08/2010 21:09:36    756488

Link

Big Sacks you're right the problem in Derry football is from the underage and schools right up. You need a proper structure with coaching right up from the small kids to reap the benefits at senior level, and the best way to reach the kids is through the schools. For example Derry city has the largest population of untapped resources (in terms of potential players) and the majority interest there is in soccer. The way to get the attention focused on gaelic games is to educate that population (kids, adults etc) in gaelic football so that they have an interest and understanding of the game, and the schools is the best way to do this. It might be a long slow process but it should in time reap benefits, and as I started this thread with questioning the standard of the team I dont feel it can go much further backward from where we are at the minute!!!!

DoireCK (Derry) - Posts: 162 - 27/08/2010 08:23:12    757477

Link

The main problem IMO is what happens to the players we have from Minor to the age of 22/23. Unless they are exceptional talents they will not get on the County panel and Under 21 set up really doesn't give them much of a chance because it is made up of the players who already are on the Senior panel or there or thereabouts, so they drift into playing for their clubs and never really see the light of day again at County Level. For me an idea would be to introduce a County "B" team that plays in the Junior Championships where the players outside the Under 21 and Senior panel can be involved in a County set up, giving them a chance to prove they can handle the County scene. This would tap into another 30 or so footballers that can be monitored giving the " old hands " already established a sense that not only is there 15 lads in the panel wanting their places but another 30 breathing down their necks as well. Only a thought !!!!

kingpuck71 (Derry) - Posts: 673 - 27/08/2010 11:47:32    757645

Link

Kingpuck - not a bad idea. I always wondered why Derry didnt have a junior team, Kerry, SLigo etc have one why not us?
I fear the reason is money tbh.

bosch (Derry) - Posts: 873 - 27/08/2010 12:11:52    757687

Link

Good idea King puck.

On the schools, I think that St Columbs years ago should have made the decision to enetr the McRory, but they always seem to be happy to compete in the MacLarnon.

Derry_ledd (Derry) - Posts: 2093 - 27/08/2010 13:26:04    757784

Link

'Derry led', you can't just walk into MacRory football. We tried to get into the MacRory the year we won the MacLarnon but we were refused. Actually beat the Maghera team twice that year that would go on and win Hogan the following year. Probably the best team St. Columb's have had in God knows how long but our request was refused based on our teams track record coming up through Colleges Football from 1st year. (4 Finals so didn't see that big a problem with our track record.) Supposedly there were enough schools ranked higher than us in the MacRory already as well. To be honest, I'm glad we stayed in the MacLarnon that year after being beat on Paddys day the 2 previous years.

Would love to see the College up in the MacRory but there's no real consistency from year to year. (The starting lineup in most years would 4/5 top class players, maybe 5/6 pretty good players then the rest would be "jersey fillers".

The 'Junior' team was trialled by mickey moran for 2 years if i remember right. (2003-2004?) It seemed to be that a lot of the players involved in the "Junior" team reckoned they were either above the squad or just didn't have the commitment.

MitchellMan10 (Derry) - Posts: 6 - 28/08/2010 08:53:00    758376

Link

Mitchell Man I didnt know that. I think it would be great for football in the city if StColumbs were able to put together a team consistently that would be allowed to compete in the McRory. No doubting they have the resources.

Derry_ledd (Derry) - Posts: 2093 - 28/08/2010 10:41:28    758412

Link

My last post was censored...
I will try to rephrase what I thought was a harmless remark

Basically I was trying to say that some big schools like St Marys in Magherafelt appear to be less than enthusiastic in their support for GAA.... I have had relatives there who left and went elsewhere because of the 'indifference' shall we say to GAA

BIG SACKS (Tyrone) - Posts: 1681 - 29/08/2010 15:12:51    759095

Link

I would believe that about St Mary's Magherafelt's attitude. As you rightly point out there needs to be a change in attitude from the big schools in order to promote the games and raise the standard otherwise things fall back onto the clubs (and its too much for the clubs to handle on their own with no support from the schools). The reason south Derry clubs have thrived is because of the close links between clubs and schools - St Pat's and St Pius for example who have close links to clubs like Ballinderry, Slaughtneil, Bellaghy, Glen, Magherafelt, Lavey, Swatragh, Ballymaguigan, Ballinscreen and even some north Derry clubs like Glenullin and Dungiven. If you look at the success of the club teams and those school teams it makes sense for the schools to take an interest in, and to promote the GAA cause as they will reap the benefits, and the more competitive football matches the young lads get the more they develop. It benefits schools, clubs and players!

DoireCK (Derry) - Posts: 162 - 31/08/2010 08:45:42    760893

Link

Yeah, hopefully all the good work being put in by the so called smaller clubs starts to show at College level. I think a problem may be a lack of consistency. (Going to your club and playing one position, being told one thing etc then going to school and being told something totally contradictory.) In the last number of years, the college has had some of the best players in the county and yet doesn't have the trophies at 'B' level to show for it.

MitchellMan10 (Derry) - Posts: 6 - 06/09/2010 12:47:23    766280

Link