Derry Forum

Damian's Newspaper Article

(Oldest Posts First)

"I'm very disappointed that people decide not to play. It's not about me, it's about Derry.

There speaks a man who cares about his county.
His comments are genuine and no player is bigger than that Derry Jersey. Some players have very valid reasons i.e. work commitments, family or educational but those players who are influenced to walk away by selfish club managers is regrettable. Those types of clubs and managers are denying those players a national platform to showcase their talent and gain national recognition for their efforts.

Yes, the club is important but why can't the clubs and county work in tandem for the betterment of all?

Finally, I believe if the best players within the county made themselves available for selection we could compete with the best.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 01/06/2017 13:48:03    1993066

Link

Replying To OakGael:  ""I'm very disappointed that people decide not to play. It's not about me, it's about Derry.

There speaks a man who cares about his county.
His comments are genuine and no player is bigger than that Derry Jersey. Some players have very valid reasons i.e. work commitments, family or educational but those players who are influenced to walk away by selfish club managers is regrettable. Those types of clubs and managers are denying those players a national platform to showcase their talent and gain national recognition for their efforts.

Yes, the club is important but why can't the clubs and county work in tandem for the betterment of all?

Finally, I believe if the best players within the county made themselves available for selection we could compete with the best."
can you tell me who are the best players in the county who are not in the present derry squad.
What clubs are holding players back?

HJ (Derry) - Posts: 8 - 02/06/2017 15:54:58    1993601

Link

There are at least 17 top class players who are presently not available to play for Derry for one reason or another.Some are injured and some have genuine commitments and can not make themselves available for the current panel.All of the following would be considered good enough to make at least a match day squad.Most of them would be deemed serious contenders for a starting berth and all of them have played All Ireland championship football ( including 12 of them in last year's championship) within the last three years.
Thomas Mallon,Eoin McNicholl, Dermot McBride,Garth McKinless,Daniel McKinless,Kevin Johnston,Liam McGoldrick,Sean Leo McGoldrick, Mark Craig,Niall Holly,Padraig Cassidy,Emmett Bradley,Christopher Bradley,Niall Toner,Eoghan Brown,Shane Heavron and Terence O'Brien.

DerryOptimist (Derry) - Posts: 2 - 02/06/2017 21:03:00    1993702

Link

these players have been around the panel for the past 3-5 years and they have not produced.
you have to start afresh and infultrate players from the minor-u21 teams over the period stated above.
to many players on the present squad have been around to long .
under a new management structure after Derry exit the qualifiers fresh approach is required.

nb. i do not mean all players from the present squad should be axed. there are players who are around a long time and have not produced these are the ones i am talking about.
I'm sure you all know the players i mean.

HJ (Derry) - Posts: 8 - 03/06/2017 10:39:20    1993846

Link