Meath Forum

Meath v Fermanagh

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To seadog54:  "Had no problem with GR hitting wayward shots on Sunday, many of his team mates did the same, its when he looses posession and sometimes just gives up (as he did for Corks equalising score). No problem with him making mistakes its how he reacts that can annoy. He is the captain and must lead by example. Have always been a supporter of his and do not think he should be dropped, but he has so much more to offer."
And that he will offer.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 21/03/2017 21:20:09    1969733

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "And that he will offer."
There's no denying his ability he's an excellent player but he is not consistent enough! I think making him captain is clever and will force him to focus.I find it a little strange that he is being played in different positions.He won't be dropped nor should he be.In my opinion he's had a below average year compared to say Donal Lenihan

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 21/03/2017 22:13:11    1969760

Link

Some bad/lazy tackling on Sunday cost us 8/9 points from frees, cannot afford same against Fermanagh, Quigley will punish us everytime.

seadog54 (Meath) - Posts: 2135 - 21/03/2017 22:27:16    1969767

Link

Replying To Ratoath Royal:  "The team has Harnan at #6."
So it does! Jeez, St Patrick's weekend here has defeated me!

GlasgowRoyal (Meath) - Posts: 293 - 22/03/2017 00:25:16    1969796

Link

Andy was very critical of the team after last sunday so you have to expect that he will be putting his money where his mouth is and changing things around a bit. I would suggest the following but I have a feeling there will be less changes.
1.O'Rourke
2. Lavin
3. Menton
4. McGill
5. Forde
6. Harnan
7 James McEntee
8. D. Tobin
9. Keoghan
10. Eamon Wallace
11. O'Sullivan
12. Reilly
13. McMahon
14. Flanagan (play as a 3rd midfielder)
15. Lenihan

oldsam_newsam (Meath) - Posts: 638 - 22/03/2017 11:57:48    1969903

Link

I take it this is our panel then?

http://meath.gaa.ie/county-teams/senior-football/

GlasgowRoyal (Meath) - Posts: 293 - 22/03/2017 12:33:53    1969916

Link

Scrub that just noticed it's form last year.

GlasgowRoyal (Meath) - Posts: 293 - 22/03/2017 12:35:40    1969917

Link

Replying To oldsam_newsam:  "Andy was very critical of the team after last sunday so you have to expect that he will be putting his money where his mouth is and changing things around a bit. I would suggest the following but I have a feeling there will be less changes.
1.O'Rourke
2. Lavin
3. Menton
4. McGill
5. Forde
6. Harnan
7 James McEntee
8. D. Tobin
9. Keoghan
10. Eamon Wallace
11. O'Sullivan
12. Reilly
13. McMahon
15. Lenihan"
Did you just pick names out of a hat for midfield??

TakeYourPoints6 (Meath) - Posts: 229 - 22/03/2017 12:48:04    1969924

Link

Replying To TakeYourPoints6:  "Did you just pick names out of a hat for midfield??"
Ha ha very funny. I dont think that I am the first to suggest either of these at midfield tho probably the first to suggest both together.

I don't expect you to keep track on previous postings but I previously named Tobin at midfield on here. I also suggested before the Down game that Keoghan would be better utilised further outfield and I have said repeatedly here that I don't rate our midfield pairing as a midfield pairing (both super players in other ways). That said i wasnt in Cork so cant comment on that game.

Playing those at midfield allows Menton to move to fullback where his presence is needed in the square. Flanagan as a 3rd midfielder would assist in the area and allow him to develop.

Failing that, pull out all the stops to get Rooney back.

oldsam_newsam (Meath) - Posts: 638 - 22/03/2017 14:15:06    1969980

Link

Replying To oldsam_newsam:  "Andy was very critical of the team after last sunday so you have to expect that he will be putting his money where his mouth is and changing things around a bit. I would suggest the following but I have a feeling there will be less changes.
1.O'Rourke
2. Lavin
3. Menton
4. McGill
5. Forde
6. Harnan
7 James McEntee
8. D. Tobin
9. Keoghan
10. Eamon Wallace
11. O'Sullivan
12. Reilly
13. McMahon
15. Lenihan"
i agree with your forwards for the most part, as for the rest i cant agree, your choice of corner backs and midfield is just bizarre, what has lavin done to earn a starting spot on this team?, he was tried in the obyrne cup v louth and Andy took him off very early in the second half cause he was struggling, came on against cork and made 2 costly turnovers

you can expect andy to make a lot less changes than this, i only see 2 changes max, and in fairness youve included them, eamon wallace and james mcentee will both start

redser123 (Meath) - Posts: 402 - 22/03/2017 14:58:24    1970001

Link

Replying To redser123:  "i agree with your forwards for the most part, as for the rest i cant agree, your choice of corner backs and midfield is just bizarre, what has lavin done to earn a starting spot on this team?, he was tried in the obyrne cup v louth and Andy took him off very early in the second half cause he was struggling, came on against cork and made 2 costly turnovers

you can expect andy to make a lot less changes than this, i only see 2 changes max, and in fairness youve included them, eamon wallace and james mcentee will both start"
I probably agree in one sense as I would probably have Douglas, Finn or Smyth from Navan in the backs ahead of Lavin but I was trying to work from the panel that Andy seems to be using. Burke an option there also but he has been caught out a bit recently. Midfield of D. Tobin, Keoghan and Flanagan worth a shot imo but it's easy for me from here of course, I dont get the flak if it all goes wrong!!

oldsam_newsam (Meath) - Posts: 638 - 22/03/2017 15:34:28    1970018

Link

Replying To Barney123:  "To be honest it was Biggys attitude I was more disappointed with then his wayward shots."
Cant say i noticed anything astray with Biggys attitude??

Loyalroyal17 (Meath) - Posts: 627 - 23/03/2017 09:39:48    1970278

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Nothing got to do with club man or not.
He wasn't the only offender on Sunday. I was there , O'Sullivan biggy Lenehan and Menton made bad errors. No disputing that.
It wasn't bad attitude or anything like that. I just don't understand why he is one been singled out. Andy obviously will have words with those 4 and others . And I would be annoyed if he didn't. These are 4 in particular Meath will look to over the year and they cant keep doing solo efforts when pass is better option. I fully expect it to be sorted very quickly. But there was a time not too long ago when Meath players hadn't the balls to shoot. Its a delicate balance act."
Look its always going to be the same when it comes to Biggy, everyone loves to love and hate him at the same time for some god known reason...when he gets the ball and belts up the field solo with it and gets that point he is the best in the world, when he gets the ball and belts solo up the field and loses it he is called a me-feiner. No he definitely wasn't the only offender Sunday, and it most certainly wasn't bad attitude...the attitude i saw in those 4 lads you mentioned was PASSION and its been along time since we have since this in the lads. We have come such a long way since last year and we all know McEntee will get it sorted fairly pronto.

Loyalroyal17 (Meath) - Posts: 627 - 23/03/2017 09:50:10    1970280

Link

meath will win this sunday and probably do it pulling up.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 23/03/2017 10:59:11    1970313

Link

Replying To Loyalroyal17:  "Look its always going to be the same when it comes to Biggy, everyone loves to love and hate him at the same time for some god known reason...when he gets the ball and belts up the field solo with it and gets that point he is the best in the world, when he gets the ball and belts solo up the field and loses it he is called a me-feiner. No he definitely wasn't the only offender Sunday, and it most certainly wasn't bad attitude...the attitude i saw in those 4 lads you mentioned was PASSION and its been along time since we have since this in the lads. We have come such a long way since last year and we all know McEntee will get it sorted fairly pronto."
Yeah fully agree with you.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 23/03/2017 19:49:57    1970523

Link

Replying To Loyalroyal17:  "Look its always going to be the same when it comes to Biggy, everyone loves to love and hate him at the same time for some god known reason...when he gets the ball and belts up the field solo with it and gets that point he is the best in the world, when he gets the ball and belts solo up the field and loses it he is called a me-feiner. No he definitely wasn't the only offender Sunday, and it most certainly wasn't bad attitude...the attitude i saw in those 4 lads you mentioned was PASSION and its been along time since we have since this in the lads. We have come such a long way since last year and we all know McEntee will get it sorted fairly pronto."
Biggy is a good player, no doubt about it, he's a very strong runner and he can do a lot of damage when given the space. The problems begin when we run up against a good defence though, they can swallow him up and turn over possession, as regularly happens when we play better teams.

I'd just like to see him get his head up more often and look for the odd inside pass, of course this all depends on lads making good runs for him and being able to win their own ball. It would add more to his game and make him less predictable, but of course we'd still want him to have a go once the score is clearly on.

Htaem (Meath) - Posts: 8657 - 23/03/2017 21:01:02    1970538

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "meath will win this sunday and probably do it pulling up."
I'd be hopeful of a win on Sunday aswell ziggy, but I think given our very inconsistent performances to date we have to be careful.

Htaem (Meath) - Posts: 8657 - 23/03/2017 21:03:14    1970539

Link

I've seen us lose to Fermanagh too many times recently to think we'll win this pulling up. This Meath team have yet to show they are consistent enough to even think about pulling up in a game and still win.

A win for them puts them level on points with us so it's do or die for them. This will be a battle make no mistake about that.

LoyalRoyal (None) - Posts: 452 - 24/03/2017 08:55:08    1970599

Link

Replying To Htaem:  "Biggy is a good player, no doubt about it, he's a very strong runner and he can do a lot of damage when given the space. The problems begin when we run up against a good defence though, they can swallow him up and turn over possession, as regularly happens when we play better teams.

I'd just like to see him get his head up more often and look for the odd inside pass, of course this all depends on lads making good runs for him and being able to win their own ball. It would add more to his game and make him less predictable, but of course we'd still want him to have a go once the score is clearly on."
Fair easement.

bobkarlgees (Meath) - Posts: 1263 - 24/03/2017 09:39:07    1970612

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "meath will win this sunday and probably do it pulling up."
Yeah, that's what should happen, But will it ? taking into account how defensive Fermanagh will be, and how we struggle against team like that ,and the fact Fermanagh need to points to survive. I reckon it will tight enough a Meath win 3/4. Also we know what to expect from Fermanagh so should be surprised when hit hit us with everything.

bobkarlgees (Meath) - Posts: 1263 - 24/03/2017 09:58:49    1970620

Link