Meath Forum

Meath SHC 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

May as well have given a walkover against Killyon.

Ratoath Royal (Meath) - Posts: 1362 - 21/08/2017 11:36:24    2035911

Link

Everyone needs to calm down here and listen to the facts before getting on their high horse and slating dunderry. Forfeiting a championship game is not ideal I will admit. Dunderry are missing 7 starters from their last game against BHG through injuries and family bereavement etc...this isn't even taking into account the 3 main players who are on J1s...Putting out a team against kiltale would not serve anybody any good. It was a meaningless game which has no implications to anyone. The only purpose this game would have served would be to embarrass good clubmen trying to keep our small dual club going. Must be a few jealous BHG or bordsmill posters on here who are bitter they couldn't beat us.

sam1996 (Meath) - Posts: 436 - 21/08/2017 11:38:13    2035912

Link

plenty of clubs fielded over the week end with nothing to play for and knowing a loss was a huge possibility
hopefully this is the final straw for this 12 team structure
lets get ball rolling for 2018 so there is no more off this

i think the dunderry hurling team was viewed as a bit of a joke before this anyway
playing division 3 hurling as a senior club and finish 3rd bottom
also gave byes in that recently i see
the young kids in the area need better role models

hurlit (Meath) - Posts: 415 - 21/08/2017 11:46:43    2035917

Link

Replying To hurlit:  "plenty of clubs fielded over the week end with nothing to play for and knowing a loss was a huge possibility
hopefully this is the final straw for this 12 team structure
lets get ball rolling for 2018 so there is no more off this

i think the dunderry hurling team was viewed as a bit of a joke before this anyway
playing division 3 hurling as a senior club and finish 3rd bottom
also gave byes in that recently i see
the young kids in the area need better role models"
Sam. Come on now I'm sure when different won the intermediate they had about 30 lads rigged out. Why wasn't a better effort made to keep the j1 guys at home. Relegation is the only answer here to be fair. I understand dunderry have proud clubmen as do all clubs in the county but to not field in senior championship is wrong. Do u think dunderry deserve to stay senior if they can't field a senior team.

Foley91 (Meath) - Posts: 418 - 21/08/2017 12:08:42    2035944

Link

Replying To sam1996:  "Everyone needs to calm down here and listen to the facts before getting on their high horse and slating dunderry. Forfeiting a championship game is not ideal I will admit. Dunderry are missing 7 starters from their last game against BHG through injuries and family bereavement etc...this isn't even taking into account the 3 main players who are on J1s...Putting out a team against kiltale would not serve anybody any good. It was a meaningless game which has no implications to anyone. The only purpose this game would have served would be to embarrass good clubmen trying to keep our small dual club going. Must be a few jealous BHG or bordsmill posters on here who are bitter they couldn't beat us."
Sorry but your argument is rather pointless. Its about having pride in your club to go out and play whatever is in front of you. That's what the GAA is supposed to be about.

To say that if you put out a make shift team would have been of no benefit to anyone is correct, but you still do it and the other clubs might take you a bit more serious as they can see you are at least trying. You cant tell me that yeas were unable to field 15 men. Yeas had plenty of people to play trim last week in football. I'm sure a few of them are able to hold a hurl for a few hours.

Irish_downunder (Meath) - Posts: 630 - 21/08/2017 12:14:06    2035948

Link

Replying To sam1996:  "Everyone needs to calm down here and listen to the facts before getting on their high horse and slating dunderry. Forfeiting a championship game is not ideal I will admit. Dunderry are missing 7 starters from their last game against BHG through injuries and family bereavement etc...this isn't even taking into account the 3 main players who are on J1s...Putting out a team against kiltale would not serve anybody any good. It was a meaningless game which has no implications to anyone. The only purpose this game would have served would be to embarrass good clubmen trying to keep our small dual club going. Must be a few jealous BHG or bordsmill posters on here who are bitter they couldn't beat us."
its just not how a senior club conducts themselves
i would think every club in meath will view the stunt with disgust
if every club had that attitude then 80 percent of the games at the weeknd would have been walkovers as most were dead rubbers

hurlit (Meath) - Posts: 415 - 21/08/2017 12:46:27    2035975

Link

Listen it a regrettable situation no doubt about it. Obviously its not a great time for hurling in the club but comparing this game to games at the weekend makes little sense. Kiltale are cruising to 4 in a row and are the best team in the county by a mile so sending out a make shift team with lads who don't even play hurling is a recipe for disaster. This could cause injury to themselves or opposition players if they have never played hurling before. As I said its not a good situation but I wont stand by while posters needlessly kick us while we are down. This is a real storm in a teacup.

sam1996 (Meath) - Posts: 436 - 21/08/2017 13:04:41    2035987

Link

No I don't believe that at all saying it was a dead runner game with no influence at all sure on the Meath Gaa site it has dunderry on 4 points aswell as killyon who are also playing later tonight so however small the chance they could of qualified if killyon lost and dunderry won and I know this is probably 1 in a million chance but still there was a chance then to go an give a walkover is a pure embarressment!! They deserve to be relegated regardless all teams have fielded this year a team to play all their games an still be in a relagation battle after this is a joke the County board have to stand in here! I go to nearly all senior championship matches an To say that you are missing 7 players isn't anybody's problem really I see blackhall were missing 4 or 5 against dunderry and still played boardsmill were missing 7 or 8 regulars against kiltale an still fielded so how you say that this is acceptable is beyong me you need to have a look at your club for allowing this to go forward In the first place!!

netfinder (Meath) - Posts: 6 - 21/08/2017 13:17:46    2035996

Link

Replying To sam1996:  "Listen it a regrettable situation no doubt about it. Obviously its not a great time for hurling in the club but comparing this game to games at the weekend makes little sense. Kiltale are cruising to 4 in a row and are the best team in the county by a mile so sending out a make shift team with lads who don't even play hurling is a recipe for disaster. This could cause injury to themselves or opposition players if they have never played hurling before. As I said its not a good situation but I wont stand by while posters needlessly kick us while we are down. This is a real storm in a teacup."
Sam you still haven't agreed that dunderry should be relegated

Foley91 (Meath) - Posts: 418 - 21/08/2017 13:30:12    2036005

Link

Replying To sam1996:  "Listen it a regrettable situation no doubt about it. Obviously its not a great time for hurling in the club but comparing this game to games at the weekend makes little sense. Kiltale are cruising to 4 in a row and are the best team in the county by a mile so sending out a make shift team with lads who don't even play hurling is a recipe for disaster. This could cause injury to themselves or opposition players if they have never played hurling before. As I said its not a good situation but I wont stand by while posters needlessly kick us while we are down. This is a real storm in a teacup."
Have to agree with sam1996 here. In what way would it benefit anyone if Dunderry fielded a make shift team against a team who would trounce anyone in the senior championship never mind a make shift junior team. From what I hear Dunderry would have had to play 3 members of management team to be able to field 15 this evening. Fully agree that there should be a change put in place as these situations should not happen in any senior championship but I do not agree with the way people on here are slating Dunderry and saying they should be ashamed and relegated. Dunderry did what they needed to do this year, they won their two winnable games in the group and retained their status. This game had no bearing on the senior championship whatsoever, Kiltale were already qualified for a semi final and could not be caught regardless of the result, and Dunderry could not qualify or be relegated regardless of the result. So in my opinion with the unfortunate situation Dunderry find themselves in with injuries and emigration and the strength of this Kiltale team who are looking at winning Leinster never mind the Meath championship, the only reasonable solution was to award the points to kiltale and avoid a team being completely embarrassed by 50 + points in front of young kids from the club. It would drive hurling out of anyone's head.

MorePower (USA) - Posts: 4 - 21/08/2017 13:36:38    2036009

Link

Netfinder. Back in your box there please, the 7 missing for tonight were from the already depleted team that played against BHG and still managed to win. If it was just a case of missing 7 lads the club would never have pulled from the game but the fact is that we're missing about 14 from last year's team and can't really count our blessings with numbers to begin with. We've regrettably had our bad beatings this year so it's not as if the club gave a walkover out of fear of a hammering. We simply couldn't field a team without calling on people that haven't played hurling before and selectors that are no spring chickens. Calling for relegation is a joke given the situation and there should be a bit more understanding as in fairness you're blasting the club and players when all we want to do is represent our club to the best of our ability and would never want this situation to unfurl again!

Royalz4Sam (Meath) - Posts: 18 - 21/08/2017 14:07:42    2036027

Link

Replying To Foley91:  "Sam you still haven't agreed that dunderry should be relegated"
No way should relegation occur on first offence. Imagine wanting a team who have already won 2 games relegated for something like this.

sam1996 (Meath) - Posts: 436 - 21/08/2017 14:22:58    2036033

Link

Replying To sam1996:  "No way should relegation occur on first offence. Imagine wanting a team who have already won 2 games relegated for something like this."
So your argument is a senior club who can't field a senior team should remain senior. Good logic there.

Foley91 (Meath) - Posts: 418 - 21/08/2017 14:35:25    2036040

Link

In extraordinary circumstances today we could not field a team. To say we are a senior team who cant field a team is a serious stretch. How did we win two games if we are a club who cannot field a team. You might want to check your logic before calling people out on theirs.

sam1996 (Meath) - Posts: 436 - 21/08/2017 14:41:46    2036042

Link

Replying To Foley91:  "So your argument is a senior club who can't field a senior team should remain senior. Good logic there."
Give over - It's not like we're pulling a fast one and it's a once off under exceptional circumstances.

Royalz4Sam (Meath) - Posts: 18 - 21/08/2017 14:43:19    2036043

Link

Very disappointing to see walkovers in any division of the championship but more so at senior. In my opinion DD shouldnt be automatically relegated but should be forced to play off with the bottom team in the group to determine who goes into relegation play off. It actually gives more credence to the poster here who suggested merged teams - the current setup is nsustainable.

On a positive side great performance from Longwood to snatch the draw against kilmessan.

oldsam_newsam (Meath) - Posts: 638 - 21/08/2017 15:32:05    2036084

Link

I still don't buy it. It would have been just as easy to call up kiltale management and explain to them that we don't have all our first choice players(apparently), and will yeas put out your inter/junior team or something. I would bet my house that they would try and accommodate yeas in one shape or fashion and not give yeas a hiding like yeas were fearing.

I personally don't care about being relegated but the lack of respect shown to the other killyon and other clubs and the entire Meath SHC is just not acceptable and shines a bad light on meath hurling. Every week on HOGANSTAND we see articles about older men togging out to make sure a game goes ahead.

Don't tell me there are no men in their late 30's or early 40's who have hurled for the club before and would not love a chance to pull on that jersey again even for a beating.

Irish_downunder (Meath) - Posts: 630 - 21/08/2017 15:38:02    2036085

Link

Dunderry not fielding makes the club look like a mess from an outsider looking in. Barring two good championship games they have had a shocking year they finished 3rd from bottom in division 3 and gave a walkover in there last game to Longwood. They lost to a Wolfe Tones side in the Brendan Davis cup who couldn't even make it out of the group in intermediate. It has not been a good year for Dunderry and next season will only get worse unless they get their house in order.
Two weeks ago they were able to field a team, now they are struggling that's a bit of a cop out. I mean they don't have a second team so it's not like they are trying to save players. There is surely 3 or 4 older lads who would have togged to help the club out. I mean they get a fine for not fielding plus playing lads who are 18 or 19 against a seasoned senior team will only bring them on. The message that Dunderry is sending out is "look the lads that are available aren't good enough to play senior so we'll save everyone the embarrassment"
Other teams send lads out knowing look they'll take a hammering but at least lads are playing hurling and enjoying themselves.

UsernameInvalid (Meath) - Posts: 355 - 21/08/2017 16:03:31    2036104

Link

Replying To Irish_downunder:  "I still don't buy it. It would have been just as easy to call up kiltale management and explain to them that we don't have all our first choice players(apparently), and will yeas put out your inter/junior team or something. I would bet my house that they would try and accommodate yeas in one shape or fashion and not give yeas a hiding like yeas were fearing.

I personally don't care about being relegated but the lack of respect shown to the other killyon and other clubs and the entire Meath SHC is just not acceptable and shines a bad light on meath hurling. Every week on HOGANSTAND we see articles about older men togging out to make sure a game goes ahead.

Don't tell me there are no men in their late 30's or early 40's who have hurled for the club before and would not love a chance to pull on that jersey again even for a beating."
The fact of the matter is, Dunderry do NOT have enough to field a team due to extraordinary circumstances. If they did, they would play the game no matter how much they were going to be beaten. They have been scraping from the bottom of the barrell from the start of the year. Started the year with a very small panel without enough to field a junior team and gradually losing players throughout the year due to injury and emigration. It is not an ideal situation for any club to find themselves in, especially a small rural dual club like Dunderry who just can't afford to be missing any player to remain competitive nevermind half of their panel! Since the BHG game in the last round (which they played that game with a fairly depleted team as it was) Dunderry have lost a further 7 players due to injury, suspension and a family bereavement which occurred over the weekend. They had a panel of maximum 20 players against BHG and lost 7 from that game so do the maths yourself. They have been trying to get former hurlers and current footballers with the club to come and play and give them a dig out all year but haven't succeeded! I think it is very unfair to these players who have been trying all year to keep the club afloat, and have succeeded by winning two games, to suggest that they should be automatically relegated or sent to a relegation playoff with boardsmill or BHG, who they have already beaten. Nobody wants to see walkovers been given in any championship especially senior but I'm afraid in this scenario there was no other option!

MorePower (USA) - Posts: 4 - 21/08/2017 16:10:19    2036106

Link

Replying To Irish_downunder:  "I still don't buy it. It would have been just as easy to call up kiltale management and explain to them that we don't have all our first choice players(apparently), and will yeas put out your inter/junior team or something. I would bet my house that they would try and accommodate yeas in one shape or fashion and not give yeas a hiding like yeas were fearing.

Don't tell me there are no men in their late 30's or early 40's who have hurled for the club before and would not love a chance to pull on that jersey again even for a beating."
Yeah we see articles with some ould lad that comes in and saves the day.. It's always in JHC but even taking that in to account, it's a lot easier to find one than about 3 or 4.
Believe what you want, but the fact is that we've been trying all we could to get a team together but in the last 5 days alone we've had 3 people drop out between injuries and bereavement. That's on top of the 1 suspension and 3 injuries suffered on or since the day we played BHG that we'd known about before last week . As I mentioned before, we were very shook for numbers against BHG as it was and we don't have the luxury of picking lads out of nowhere. We accept that it looks very bad and we never wanted this (as players anyway) but some things can't be helped unfortunately.

Royalz4Sam (Meath) - Posts: 18 - 21/08/2017 16:22:29    2036108

Link