Meath Forum

Meath SHC 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Kilmessan were impressive against a poor Trim team lacking leaders. Douglas huge loss. Defence is porous and half forward line is unfit to say the least for SHC. Kilmessan forwards moving well and will cause teams problems. They could be the only team to put it up to Kiltale this year.

Redsalltheway (Meath) - Posts: 116 - 29/07/2017 19:17:55    2025456

Link

Replying To Redsalltheway:  "Kilmessan were impressive against a poor Trim team lacking leaders. Douglas huge loss. Defence is porous and half forward line is unfit to say the least for SHC. Kilmessan forwards moving well and will cause teams problems. They could be the only team to put it up to Kiltale this year."
I don't think anyone will challenge Kiltale. Kilmessan aren't great.

Ratoath Royal (Meath) - Posts: 1362 - 30/07/2017 10:02:27    2025719

Link

Replying To Ratoath Royal:  "I don't think anyone will challenge Kiltale. Kilmessan aren't great."
But they are coming into form at the right time and have forwards who can score. The more challengers capable of winning the championship the better.

MillerX (Meath) - Posts: 1063 - 30/07/2017 10:35:24    2025742

Link

Replying To MillerX:  "But they are coming into form at the right time and have forwards who can score. The more challengers capable of winning the championship the better."
True but needing challengers to Kiltale doesnt mean that there are any. Kilmessan were made look good by a poor Trim side.

Kiltale looking to Leinster championship at this stage, the SHC is just a step on the way.

oldsam_newsam (Meath) - Posts: 638 - 30/07/2017 10:55:02    2025761

Link

Kiltale are a formidable outfit. Kilmessan and Killyon will put it up to them for 40minutes maybe but Kiltale would pull away then. Disappointing that Trim and Kildalkey are not the force they once were, Meath hurling needs them.

Redsalltheway (Meath) - Posts: 116 - 30/07/2017 11:04:02    2025768

Link

Kilmessan are starting to look a bit like the team of old and may be in a position to challenge. However one thing that could hinder them is the number of dual players they have and with dunsany going strong again I'm not sure it's sustainable to give both codes the attention required to be victorious in either. I don't think it's coincidence that kilmessans regression over the last couple of years has coincided with Dunsany's increased competitiveness at football level and that certain players may have to make a difficult decision as to which code they put more stock into being successful in.
i.e. Senior hurling or junior football...

pim (Meath) - Posts: 119 - 30/07/2017 16:55:46    2026000

Link

Watched an excellent double header in Pairc Tailteann on Sunday. Ratoath are developing into a nice Senior hurling team. The Killyon v Kildakkey was a cracking advertisement for Meath hurling. Skill, great scores, club rivalry, hard hits and both sets of players giving it everything, well done all. Maybe in my previous post I was premature in writing off this Kildalkey team, outstanding in second half today.

Redsalltheway (Meath) - Posts: 116 - 30/07/2017 17:23:59    2026017

Link

Replying To Redsalltheway:  "Watched an excellent double header in Pairc Tailteann on Sunday. Ratoath are developing into a nice Senior hurling team. The Killyon v Kildakkey was a cracking advertisement for Meath hurling. Skill, great scores, club rivalry, hard hits and both sets of players giving it everything, well done all. Maybe in my previous post I was premature in writing off this Kildalkey team, outstanding in second half today."
Zero goals in 4 games worries me.

Ratoath Royal (Meath) - Posts: 1362 - 30/07/2017 21:38:05    2026237

Link

Replying To pim:  "Kilmessan are starting to look a bit like the team of old and may be in a position to challenge. However one thing that could hinder them is the number of dual players they have and with dunsany going strong again I'm not sure it's sustainable to give both codes the attention required to be victorious in either. I don't think it's coincidence that kilmessans regression over the last couple of years has coincided with Dunsany's increased competitiveness at football level and that certain players may have to make a difficult decision as to which code they put more stock into being successful in.
i.e. Senior hurling or junior football..."
I don't think football has any negative effect on hurling. It would benefit Kilmessan more if Dunsany could get out of Junior.

begining (UK) - Posts: 300 - 31/07/2017 09:05:09    2026399

Link

Alot more kiltale lads playing senior football with moynalvey , doesnt do them any harm
playing junior football is going strong?
they were lose junior finals back when they were winning senior titles
playing a decent level of football would benifit them alot

One good result again a bad trim team and they are back
same team that only just beat ratoath , was behind to athboy at ht and that lost to dunboyne?

what is going on with bhg
1/4 final last year and could go down this year
athboy again bhg in the play off

hurlit (Meath) - Posts: 415 - 31/07/2017 10:09:45    2026465

Link

What way does the qualification from the groups work? Is it top 2 from each group?? with only 2 groups I can't see how the top 3 would work and 4 from each group seems crazy!!

ratlag (Meath) - Posts: 557 - 31/07/2017 10:23:17    2026478

Link

Replying To ratlag:  "What way does the qualification from the groups work? Is it top 2 from each group?? with only 2 groups I can't see how the top 3 would work and 4 from each group seems crazy!!"
Group winners into semi with 2nd in group 1 playing 3rd in group 2 and vice versa in qfs

showforit (Meath) - Posts: 156 - 31/07/2017 10:42:02    2026495

Link

I can't see anyone troubling Kiltale, I would give Kilmessan, Kildalkey and Kilyon the best chance of beating them but they won't they will all stay with them for 40 mins or so and then Kiltale will just go up another gear, they are a different class. Relegation seems a lot more interesting I expect Clann na Gael to go back down but if Boardsmill get dragged into the relegation battle then I can't see them staying up they have lost far too many.

Intermediate also looks tasty with O Mahonys and Na Fianna the two front runners with Kilskyre/Moylagh and Drumree also looking good.

Does anyone else think that the hurling championship has become a bit lobsided with the amount of hidings been given out in the senior and intermediate grades?
Dunboyne 2-27 vs Ratoath 0-13
Kiltale 8-16 vs Blackhall Gaels 0-10
Killyon 8-34 vs Dunderry 0-11
Kiltale 3-26 vs Boardsmill 0-7

Na Fianna 5-17 vs Kilmessan 1-7
O'Mahony's 0-25 vs Kilmessan 0-7
Na Fianna 6-14 vs Ashbourne 2-4
Drumree 3-20 vs St Peter's, Dunboyne 0-2

I think it would be more competitive if the senior championship had 8 teams with 2 groups of 4 then the top two teams into the semi final of each group.
Intermediate could have 12 with with 4 groups of 3 teams with the top 2 going into the quarter finals and bottom 4 face off in relegation.
Is it any idea people would go with?

UsernameInvalid (Meath) - Posts: 355 - 31/07/2017 13:09:18    2026610

Link

Replying To UsernameInvalid:  "I can't see anyone troubling Kiltale, I would give Kilmessan, Kildalkey and Kilyon the best chance of beating them but they won't they will all stay with them for 40 mins or so and then Kiltale will just go up another gear, they are a different class. Relegation seems a lot more interesting I expect Clann na Gael to go back down but if Boardsmill get dragged into the relegation battle then I can't see them staying up they have lost far too many.

Intermediate also looks tasty with O Mahonys and Na Fianna the two front runners with Kilskyre/Moylagh and Drumree also looking good.

Does anyone else think that the hurling championship has become a bit lobsided with the amount of hidings been given out in the senior and intermediate grades?
Dunboyne 2-27 vs Ratoath 0-13
Kiltale 8-16 vs Blackhall Gaels 0-10
Killyon 8-34 vs Dunderry 0-11
Kiltale 3-26 vs Boardsmill 0-7

Na Fianna 5-17 vs Kilmessan 1-7
O'Mahony's 0-25 vs Kilmessan 0-7
Na Fianna 6-14 vs Ashbourne 2-4
Drumree 3-20 vs St Peter's, Dunboyne 0-2

I think it would be more competitive if the senior championship had 8 teams with 2 groups of 4 then the top two teams into the semi final of each group.
Intermediate could have 12 with with 4 groups of 3 teams with the top 2 going into the quarter finals and bottom 4 face off in relegation.
Is it any idea people would go with?"
Your dead right on the 2 championships, its the same with the football in the county as well, there needs to be a complete re-jig of the championships but you will get to many objections from old heads who are more concerned with being able to say they are a senior club than actually trying to make the whole thing more competitive

ratlag (Meath) - Posts: 557 - 31/07/2017 13:19:22    2026622

Link

Replying To hurlit:  "Alot more kiltale lads playing senior football with moynalvey , doesnt do them any harm
playing junior football is going strong?
they were lose junior finals back when they were winning senior titles
playing a decent level of football would benifit them alot

One good result again a bad trim team and they are back
same team that only just beat ratoath , was behind to athboy at ht and that lost to dunboyne?

what is going on with bhg
1/4 final last year and could go down this year
athboy again bhg in the play off"
Stephen Morris was gone to Australia all year. Gigantic loss for a team that doesn't have a deep squad

LeitrimRoyal99 (Meath) - Posts: 1458 - 31/07/2017 13:55:46    2026642

Link

This year has been particularly bad in terms of teams getting hammered. The bottom line is that clubs need to be at full strength to compete, BHG had everyone last year and pushed kiltale all the way. BHG are now missing 5 or 6 from that team. Boardsmill and Dunderry also missing a lot of very good young players who would allow them to be competitive at least.

Have a look at what happened Trim against Kilmessan when you take away 3 of their best players, they were hammered. Are Trim a bad team? Should they be intermediate? No.

I'm not a huge fan of the proposed championship restructure. 2 groups of 4 would shorten the championship considerably. clubs would only be guaranteed 3 championship matches, 5 games in total if you're to win it. Football would dominate the calender

begining (UK) - Posts: 300 - 31/07/2017 15:35:10    2026735

Link

Replying To begining:  "This year has been particularly bad in terms of teams getting hammered. The bottom line is that clubs need to be at full strength to compete, BHG had everyone last year and pushed kiltale all the way. BHG are now missing 5 or 6 from that team. Boardsmill and Dunderry also missing a lot of very good young players who would allow them to be competitive at least.

Have a look at what happened Trim against Kilmessan when you take away 3 of their best players, they were hammered. Are Trim a bad team? Should they be intermediate? No.

I'm not a huge fan of the proposed championship restructure. 2 groups of 4 would shorten the championship considerably. clubs would only be guaranteed 3 championship matches, 5 games in total if you're to win it. Football would dominate the calender"
I'm not saying what teams would need to go down to intermediate but something needs to be done.
Tipperary have like 10 games to win their senior championship and when was the last time a Tipp team won the Munster senior hurling championship? The likes of Kilkenny play a straight knockout. Cork and Clare both play a Christy ring cup style as do a few other counties, Dublin and Galway have groups of 4 teams. The only county I know who has groups of 6 is Waterford.
Kiltale's last game in the group have been meaningless really, it's just been a case of do a job. Kildalkey are more or less there barring they lose by 40 points and Dunderry beat Kiltale by 40. The only big game in the next round is Trim vs Ratoath the rest are predictable. Longwood are playing for nothing because they are safe and can not qualify for the quarters.
Same in the intermediate Na Fianna and O Mahony's are both in the knockout stages with a game to spare. We need competitive games in our Hurling championship if we are to progress as a county. The same with the footballers.

UsernameInvalid (Meath) - Posts: 355 - 31/07/2017 17:06:41    2026799

Link

Replying To begining:  "This year has been particularly bad in terms of teams getting hammered. The bottom line is that clubs need to be at full strength to compete, BHG had everyone last year and pushed kiltale all the way. BHG are now missing 5 or 6 from that team. Boardsmill and Dunderry also missing a lot of very good young players who would allow them to be competitive at least.

I'm not a huge fan of the proposed championship restructure. 2 groups of 4 would shorten the championship considerably. clubs would only be guaranteed 3 championship matches, 5 games in total if you're to win it. Football would dominate the calender"
two groups of four is a terrible idea and would no way improve anything
far to many teams in senior not good enough

even if boardsmill / bhg / dunderry have full teams they are still a mile from the top 4 in the county

hurlit (Meath) - Posts: 415 - 31/07/2017 17:27:19    2026807

Link

Replying To UsernameInvalid:  "I'm not saying what teams would need to go down to intermediate but something needs to be done.
Tipperary have like 10 games to win their senior championship and when was the last time a Tipp team won the Munster senior hurling championship? The likes of Kilkenny play a straight knockout. Cork and Clare both play a Christy ring cup style as do a few other counties, Dublin and Galway have groups of 4 teams. The only county I know who has groups of 6 is Waterford.
Kiltale's last game in the group have been meaningless really, it's just been a case of do a job. Kildalkey are more or less there barring they lose by 40 points and Dunderry beat Kiltale by 40. The only big game in the next round is Trim vs Ratoath the rest are predictable. Longwood are playing for nothing because they are safe and can not qualify for the quarters.
Same in the intermediate Na Fianna and O Mahony's are both in the knockout stages with a game to spare. We need competitive games in our Hurling championship if we are to progress as a county. The same with the footballers."
Kilkenny championship isn't straight knockout. There's a league with 12 teams. Everyone plays each other. Top 8 go into straight knockout with 1v8, 2v7 etc. So KK club champions have played 14 matches by the time they play in Leinster.

I think the current format could be changed but standard of hurling won't improve by playing less matches.As well as that the current format gives a small bit of leeway to clubs with dual players. Trim and Longwood who were forced to play without their county footballers can afford to lose a match or two and still qualify. If a game was straight knockout and Trim lost without Toher & Douglas (told not to play by the football management) there'd be uproar.

Maybe a group of 8 where everyone plays each other and top 4 into semis. That would leave a 9 game championship with every game being competitive while improving standards.

begining (UK) - Posts: 300 - 31/07/2017 17:51:57    2026819

Link

Replying To begining:  "Kilkenny championship isn't straight knockout. There's a league with 12 teams. Everyone plays each other. Top 8 go into straight knockout with 1v8, 2v7 etc. So KK club champions have played 14 matches by the time they play in Leinster.

I think the current format could be changed but standard of hurling won't improve by playing less matches.As well as that the current format gives a small bit of leeway to clubs with dual players. Trim and Longwood who were forced to play without their county footballers can afford to lose a match or two and still qualify. If a game was straight knockout and Trim lost without Toher & Douglas (told not to play by the football management) there'd be uproar.

Maybe a group of 8 where everyone plays each other and top 4 into semis. That would leave a 9 game championship with every game being competitive while improving standards."
No thats not correct.
The Kilkenny championship Is straight knock out but they use the league to rank/seed teams for the championship.
They have a league competition with 2 groups of 6 (5 games) and how you do in the league determines where you start in the championship.
Top team in each group play a league final.
2nd in each group play a shield final.
Also the top four in each group are guaranteed to void relegation.
With the bottom 2 are in each group in a relegation battle.It makes the league very competitive.
In a nut she'll.
Top 2 teams from each group enter the championship at 1/4 stage.
3rd vs 4th from each group -2 winners in 1/4 finals,
5th vs 6th from each group -2 winners in 1/4 finals with the 2 losers playing off in a relegation final.
League & Shield finalists are on the other side of the draw from the teams that has come through from the above games in the quarter finall. Semi final is open draw.

6 games to win the league or the shield.
Max of 4 games to win the championship (not counting replays)
Min of 5 league games and 1 championship game.
League & Championship is with county playears.

The league & shield finals are played the same weekend as 3v4 & 5v6 games.
If relegated, you are relegated from both the league and championship (visa versa if promoted).

They also play another league competition, where clubs play without their county players. Not sure how many games there are in that,but I think there are at least another 5.

Pat1 (Kilkenny) - Posts: 26 - 31/07/2017 21:41:07    2026978

Link