Meath Forum

Cork v Meath

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To ziggy32001:  "apparently andy had a serious go at players at half time,he said it himself,he wouldn't repeat what he said.

he also said some of the poor decision making was from some of our eperienced players."
Indeed...Am sure he had words with biggie as one of our more experienced

bert09 (Meath) - Posts: 1790 - 20/03/2017 12:30:48    1969036

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  ""We get into a position to win the game after getting the goal, with 15 minutes remaining and the wind with us, then we proceed to show a total lack of composure and quality. Our shot selection was a killer, that's real me-feinism, not thinking of the team in the right areas at the right time."

quote from andy..

wasn't biggy one of the main guys in this situation?"
Yes!

bert09 (Meath) - Posts: 1790 - 20/03/2017 12:31:41    1969037

Link

Replying To bert09:  "Yes!"
He's bloody right we threw this game away ! Half the posters are just delighted to get a draw! Andy is raging and bloody right! I am starting to feel what makes him tick. I'm excited to see where he will take these players .

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 20/03/2017 13:03:48    1969065

Link

Replying To Meath_True:  "Royaldunne , I love your optimism ,

look at what has happened over the last 4 years , and tell me that what happened against Cork won't happen again and that it is any different to previous occasions . Meath have been giving away substantial leads for the last 3-4 years . And have genuinely got back into games to just fall short, Great comebacks BUT . And if you know as much as you claim to about things you would understand that is exactly what happens . Players put 110% of their energies trying to get back into games of this sort , when they do , they invariably are running on dry , or reserve, their mental as well as fuel stores are depleted . Managers then throw fresh legs into the equation to try to bolster the efforts to get the team across the line . Unfortunately getting up to the speed of inter-county football is not that simple . If the opposition up their game ( get a second wind) , they can cross the line as they are replenished . Its the comeback is what leaves the tank empty mentally and physically in the last minutes . And that is why we in Meath do not need any more of this . Meath need to dominate games from start to finish . Not allow teams to get a substantial lead in any match, which prevents us from having to chase games and end up on reserve . From start to finish Meath need to pin the opposition back .Waiting for the opposition to tire so that we can have a great comeback is useless , because invariably the tank is running on reserve coming into the critical part of the game , the last 5 minutes . Tell me what has changed in the last year to give us confidence that this is not a head issue with this crop of players . The introductions only partially worked against Cork . James McEntees introduction was positive ,
Andy has an issue with this group of players and it appears to be a serious one .
Mentally the guys were tired in the last five minutes , due to they having to chase . That's why some mad decisions with the boots were taken ."
'look at what has happened over the last 4 years , and tell me that what happened against Cork won't happen again and that it is any different to previous occasions . Meath have been giving away substantial leads for the last 3-4 years . And have genuinely got back into games to just fall short, Great comebacks BUT .'
Are you serious?, when have we last seen a great comeback in recent previous seasons ?. There were many collapses in recent seasons but no comebacks. (example we have been outscored in every second half of a championship match's for a number of years). That shows a difference in spirit (collapses show a lack of fighting spirit, comebacks show good fighting spirit). When Andy McEntee took charge that was the main difference people wanted to see from Meath under him. Early days but the better spirit shown by players so far is a positive.

bdbuddah (Meath) - Posts: 1338 - 20/03/2017 13:13:32    1969071

Link

Replying To bert09:  "Yes!"
Bert 09..........Yes Reilly was guilty here with others. Reilly is one player who continues to frustrate although he scored 3 points. Just that he clearly has the ability, but attitude seems questionable at times. However Andy may have a handle on that now,and that is good. I think the role model for this team is Keoghan . ATTITUDE never in question,and leads by example. . i think Donal proves yet again that ATTITUDE dictates BEHAVIOUR.
Andy seems to be serious about attitude ,and that is to me the most positive move in his reign so far. I think we may see Reilly develop further as a player and captain under Andy.

nobull456 (Meath) - Posts: 1211 - 20/03/2017 13:17:28    1969072

Link

Replying To bdbuddah:  "'look at what has happened over the last 4 years , and tell me that what happened against Cork won't happen again and that it is any different to previous occasions . Meath have been giving away substantial leads for the last 3-4 years . And have genuinely got back into games to just fall short, Great comebacks BUT .'
Are you serious?, when have we last seen a great comeback in recent previous seasons ?. There were many collapses in recent seasons but no comebacks. (example we have been outscored in every second half of a championship match's for a number of years). That shows a difference in spirit (collapses show a lack of fighting spirit, comebacks show good fighting spirit). When Andy McEntee took charge that was the main difference people wanted to see from Meath under him. Early days but the better spirit shown by players so far is a positive."
A comeback in term of been ten points down , and getting back to within 2 , or 1 is still a comeback it does not mean the games have been won bd buddah , read the whole thread . A comeback and getting across the line is totally different to what I was writing about . And there have been numerous comebacks in the last 4 years .
What I'm saying is that if we keep going out and allowing teams to dominate us , and build up a lead we are always going to be talking about the great Meath fighting spirit, but unfortunately we didn't win .. Which I think is the wrong attitude to have in this day and age . once in a blue moon its nice to have a fight back of the Cork proportions , but we end up having this as nearly the norm .
We don't have the bench to alter games significantly, so therefore the players on the pitch need to dominate from start to finish . No more giving away 4to 10 pint leads and then busting a gut to get back into the game . invariably the tank empties and the players become mentally and physically exhausted .
Dublin came back against Kerry , but Galvin has a bench that he can empty to get a result . we don't . I'd prefer a 1 point win leading from start to finish than a great comeback from 5-10 points down for a draw or a 1-2 point loss .
in the heat of competition attrition needs to be planned in . And our guys don't have that luxury in relation to R&R . The same horses are been flogged all the time .

Meath_True (Meath) - Posts: 285 - 20/03/2017 14:52:37    1969122

Link

Replying To Meath_True:  "A comeback in term of been ten points down , and getting back to within 2 , or 1 is still a comeback it does not mean the games have been won bd buddah , read the whole thread . A comeback and getting across the line is totally different to what I was writing about . And there have been numerous comebacks in the last 4 years .
What I'm saying is that if we keep going out and allowing teams to dominate us , and build up a lead we are always going to be talking about the great Meath fighting spirit, but unfortunately we didn't win .. Which I think is the wrong attitude to have in this day and age . once in a blue moon its nice to have a fight back of the Cork proportions , but we end up having this as nearly the norm .
We don't have the bench to alter games significantly, so therefore the players on the pitch need to dominate from start to finish . No more giving away 4to 10 pint leads and then busting a gut to get back into the game . invariably the tank empties and the players become mentally and physically exhausted .
Dublin came back against Kerry , but Galvin has a bench that he can empty to get a result . we don't . I'd prefer a 1 point win leading from start to finish than a great comeback from 5-10 points down for a draw or a 1-2 point loss .
in the heat of competition attrition needs to be planned in . And our guys don't have that luxury in relation to R&R . The same horses are been flogged all the time ."
I'm confused, are you seriously trying to say Meath senior football have had numerous comebacks in the last 4 years but not managed to win these games?, Meath football in recent times has became synonymous with collapses not comebacks, famously the last time we outscored a team in the second half of a championship match was the Leinster quarter final back in 2014, a terrible record. The fact that we are not having collapses in the games this year is a change from previous years.

bdbuddah (Meath) - Posts: 1338 - 20/03/2017 15:56:00    1969157

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  ""We get into a position to win the game after getting the goal, with 15 minutes remaining and the wind with us, then we proceed to show a total lack of composure and quality. Our shot selection was a killer, that's real me-feinism, not thinking of the team in the right areas at the right time."

quote from andy..

wasn't biggy one of the main guys in this situation?"
Biggy O'Sullivan lenehane menton were the main culprits all relatively experienced.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 20/03/2017 16:25:06    1969175

Link

All this talk about COS and flogging horses. The chap has tonnes of talent and should expect criticism if he does not perform.
Its March and hes hardly been in there year after year with tonnes of miles on the clock. So pls stop with the nonsense defense of him being flogged.

Mayhem (Meath) - Posts: 9 - 20/03/2017 16:52:44    1969193

Link

Replying To nobull456:  "Bert 09..........Yes Reilly was guilty here with others. Reilly is one player who continues to frustrate although he scored 3 points. Just that he clearly has the ability, but attitude seems questionable at times. However Andy may have a handle on that now,and that is good. I think the role model for this team is Keoghan . ATTITUDE never in question,and leads by example. . i think Donal proves yet again that ATTITUDE dictates BEHAVIOUR.
Andy seems to be serious about attitude ,and that is to me the most positive move in his reign so far. I think we may see Reilly develop further as a player and captain under Andy."
God I don't know but I taught Keoghan got a real roasting from Colm ONeill who scored 6 points from play in 1st half Keoghan was then sent to follow the 3rd midfielder

numberedjerseys (USA) - Posts: 348 - 20/03/2017 17:16:23    1969202

Link

Replying To Mayhem:  "All this talk about COS and flogging horses. The chap has tonnes of talent and should expect criticism if he does not perform.
Its March and hes hardly been in there year after year with tonnes of miles on the clock. So pls stop with the nonsense defense of him being flogged."
Mayhem..............ABSOLUTELY well said this MOLLYCODDLING is a pain....It applies to other players on this forum as well. I cannot understand it as you say it is March etc. You wear the Meath jersey....thats the reward. If you dont give it your best you deserve any critisism that comes your way.
I imagine Andy wont be doing ANY mollycoddling from here forward. Some players when blown up to be better than they are lose it , and feel its ok to wear the jersey,and stand with hands on hips when the need is greatest. Andy keep the pressure on.

nobull456 (Meath) - Posts: 1211 - 20/03/2017 18:08:28    1969234

Link

Replying To numberedjerseys:  "God I don't know but I taught Keoghan got a real roasting from Colm ONeill who scored 6 points from play in 1st half Keoghan was then sent to follow the 3rd midfielder"
Yes oNeill had a great match,and is more than a handful for any defender.Donal can be caught out at times, and has been "turned" before by the odd forward. My point is his commitment is never lacking. Sometimes his tendency to go forward so often is questionable. Then you take this match and he is the goalscorer. Unfortunately we need his type in every line on the field. It would be ideal to just leave him corner back. I .have no doubt he would prove to be another Bobbie O Malley in that role With this panel we are robbing Peter to pay Paul often. Menton is another example.The sooner the better he gets the chance to play in his best position no 7 the better Maybe he might not deliver ,but he deserves the chance. ANY player with NO exceptions who does not deliver his best should be replaced.Without question a massive thanks is deserved to those who give it their best shot!!

nobull456 (Meath) - Posts: 1211 - 20/03/2017 19:25:31    1969268

Link

Replying To nobull456:  "Mayhem..............ABSOLUTELY well said this MOLLYCODDLING is a pain....It applies to other players on this forum as well. I cannot understand it as you say it is March etc. You wear the Meath jersey....thats the reward. If you dont give it your best you deserve any critisism that comes your way.
I imagine Andy wont be doing ANY mollycoddling from here forward. Some players when blown up to be better than they are lose it , and feel its ok to wear the jersey,and stand with hands on hips when the need is greatest. Andy keep the pressure on."
Mollycoddling is not in McEntee physic

numberedjerseys (USA) - Posts: 348 - 20/03/2017 19:25:38    1969269

Link

How did Mc Gill get on Sunday ?
I taught he has played well so far this year solid and consistent. We could do with getting more players in around the square to help him out with the high balls.

bobkarlgees (Meath) - Posts: 1263 - 20/03/2017 22:44:35    1969336

Link

Replying To AthboyCelt:  "I'm hardly going to bet against my own team, it was just my gut feeling, delighted by the comeback yesterday. Still think victory over Fermanagh will be very tricky to secure, our record against Northern teams is not the best. A win against them and we can secure our status and possibly then we can see where that takes us after. My main point was I think it was better to secure our status in Div 2 status rather than talk about promotion and that's still the case."
I'm just yanking your chain. I'd love to see us promoted but a strong consolidation would suit me fine this season too.

GlasgowRoyal (Meath) - Posts: 293 - 20/03/2017 23:11:45    1969343

Link

Replying To bobkarlgees:  "How did Mc Gill get on Sunday ?
I taught he has played well so far this year solid and consistent. We could do with getting more players in around the square to help him out with the high balls."
Agree he has been alright but in relation to High Ball in to the full back, if your nr 3 cant dominate highball, he should be nowhere near that 3 spot.

Irish_downunder (Meath) - Posts: 630 - 21/03/2017 08:10:25    1969370

Link

Replying To Irish_downunder:  "Agree he has been alright but in relation to High Ball in to the full back, if your nr 3 cant dominate highball, he should be nowhere near that 3 spot."
Yeah I meant to say to help with breaking ball around the square. We need to get more numbers in to pick up the breaking ball. Against Galway they got two scores from it. and they could have got a goal if they where more ruthless. When Rory O'Carroll left the Dublin team they flooded the square to help Johnny Cooper we need to do the same.

bobkarlgees (Meath) - Posts: 1263 - 21/03/2017 11:17:00    1969424

Link

Replying To bobkarlgees:  "Yeah I meant to say to help with breaking ball around the square. We need to get more numbers in to pick up the breaking ball. Against Galway they got two scores from it. and they could have got a goal if they where more ruthless. When Rory O'Carroll left the Dublin team they flooded the square to help Johnny Cooper we need to do the same."
Lads first time poster here and have been reading post here for a fair while now some good and some !! Well I wonder have they ever stood inside a ground never mind a dressing room , talking of the Andy project lads I think from listening to him talk over the last few months and especially on Sunday you have to understand from him that before he can implement any real game plan he has to get the team to buy into a work ethic that is quite simply very poor at times , I would hate to play as a defender on this team as at times the cover given is non excisting but I really think that you can see a change coming and I think that's why Andy went mental after the game as this is what they must have been putting in a huge amount of time and effort into in training . To get team to a level where they can compete at the top table we will have to have 30 players that are willing to sacrifice there game , body whatever it takes to help out a team mate .
In a nut shell they have to be willing to work harder then any other team in the country to compensate for the faults and that has to mean no player can be bigger then the team not even graham or cillian if they won't work for the whole time there on the field or some one else covers for them then it all breaks down . This is a work in progress but I do see the shoots of a team been built and I think all the players would have got that message quite clearly on Sunday be they on the pitch or bench .

LARRYME (Meath) - Posts: 1 - 21/03/2017 12:50:51    1969460

Link

Replying To LARRYME:  "Lads first time poster here and have been reading post here for a fair while now some good and some !! Well I wonder have they ever stood inside a ground never mind a dressing room , talking of the Andy project lads I think from listening to him talk over the last few months and especially on Sunday you have to understand from him that before he can implement any real game plan he has to get the team to buy into a work ethic that is quite simply very poor at times , I would hate to play as a defender on this team as at times the cover given is non excisting but I really think that you can see a change coming and I think that's why Andy went mental after the game as this is what they must have been putting in a huge amount of time and effort into in training . To get team to a level where they can compete at the top table we will have to have 30 players that are willing to sacrifice there game , body whatever it takes to help out a team mate .
In a nut shell they have to be willing to work harder then any other team in the country to compensate for the faults and that has to mean no player can be bigger then the team not even graham or cillian if they won't work for the whole time there on the field or some one else covers for them then it all breaks down . This is a work in progress but I do see the shoots of a team been built and I think all the players would have got that message quite clearly on Sunday be they on the pitch or bench ."
Excellent post. I agree!

GlasgowRoyal (Meath) - Posts: 293 - 21/03/2017 15:01:29    1969534

Link

Replying To LARRYME:  "Lads first time poster here and have been reading post here for a fair while now some good and some !! Well I wonder have they ever stood inside a ground never mind a dressing room , talking of the Andy project lads I think from listening to him talk over the last few months and especially on Sunday you have to understand from him that before he can implement any real game plan he has to get the team to buy into a work ethic that is quite simply very poor at times , I would hate to play as a defender on this team as at times the cover given is non excisting but I really think that you can see a change coming and I think that's why Andy went mental after the game as this is what they must have been putting in a huge amount of time and effort into in training . To get team to a level where they can compete at the top table we will have to have 30 players that are willing to sacrifice there game , body whatever it takes to help out a team mate .
In a nut shell they have to be willing to work harder then any other team in the country to compensate for the faults and that has to mean no player can be bigger then the team not even graham or cillian if they won't work for the whole time there on the field or some one else covers for them then it all breaks down . This is a work in progress but I do see the shoots of a team been built and I think all the players would have got that message quite clearly on Sunday be they on the pitch or bench ."
good post and fully agree.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 21/03/2017 16:45:20    1969585

Link