Meath Forum

Cork v Meath

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Lads relax, it was a great comeback HOWEVER, cork lost Aidan Walsh and the big wing forward to black card so they basically had no mid field to kick the ball out to, then they basically just stopped playing and Meath still couldn't beat them, I'm just saying relax and stop making a mountain outta a moul, we drew with a cork team missing 3 or 4 main players, second half shows we can go in the right direction, first half showed what we can be like if a team are trying to beat us.

SS6 (Meath) - Posts: 149 - 19/03/2017 20:32:24    1968746

Link

Great result I was hoping when we where 9 points we would come back and try and put some respectability on the score line never taught they would get a draw out on it. Pity they didn't sneak the win. I had a flutter on a draw. Strange that Andy was so negative when been interviewed by Lmfm. I wasn't at the game so maybe we did it blow it as he says. But I am not sure it helps to so openly critical of the team.

bobkarlgees (Meath) - Posts: 1263 - 19/03/2017 20:41:52    1968760

Link

Look the main positive is that along with Galway game are 100% certs we would have lost over last 6 years. The result itself is sort of irrelevant in a way (it's not but uyou know what I mean) to come from 9 down 10 minutes into second half (rather than get beat leading by 9) is a huge psychological boost. It builds belief and by looks of what I'm reading hear Andy wasn't happy we didn't win, so that s another positive, the lads will know more is needed rather than we went toe to toe with a division 1team who happen to be in division 2 . that shows ambition and above all that the players know they better than they showed. It's been a long time since we could bemoan a draw away from home to a credible team, especially been so far behind during gaps.
We are on the right track, it will take time, we will have good days and bad days, but we must believe in Andy's project. It will yield results.
Well done today to all concerned, improvement needed but we will stay the course.
Hon the royal

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 19/03/2017 21:05:54    1968773

Link

Replying To SS6:  "Lads relax, it was a great comeback HOWEVER, cork lost Aidan Walsh and the big wing forward to black card so they basically had no mid field to kick the ball out to, then they basically just stopped playing and Meath still couldn't beat them, I'm just saying relax and stop making a mountain outta a moul, we drew with a cork team missing 3 or 4 main players, second half shows we can go in the right direction, first half showed what we can be like if a team are trying to beat us."
Would we have came back after been 9 down over previous 6 years??. No

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 19/03/2017 21:06:46    1968775

Link

Replying To bobkarlgees:  "Great result I was hoping when we where 9 points we would come back and try and put some respectability on the score line never taught they would get a draw out on it. Pity they didn't sneak the win. I had a flutter on a draw. Strange that Andy was so negative when been interviewed by Lmfm. I wasn't at the game so maybe we did it blow it as he says. But I am not sure it helps to so openly critical of the team."
When we drew level with cork, we kicked 3 terrible wides in a row and then biggy and lavin had 2 dreadful late turnovers, I can understand the frustration from Andy.. Lack of composure still very evident

redser123 (Meath) - Posts: 402 - 19/03/2017 21:08:04    1968778

Link

I think we gave this Cork team way to much respect in the first half !

3 points from 4 from Galway and Cork isn't a bad return for our efforts in all honestly ...but we should have won this game !!!

But we need to keep pushing and up our performance again and again every game!

WhyTheLongFace (Meath) - Posts: 874 - 19/03/2017 21:14:29    1968783

Link

Heard his interview on rte1 and he sounded seriously p*ssed. From his description of how the game unfolded it would be hard to disagree with him.

moylagh (Meath) - Posts: 484 - 19/03/2017 21:15:27    1968784

Link

Replying To moylagh:  "Heard his interview on rte1 and he sounded seriously p*ssed. From his description of how the game unfolded it would be hard to disagree with him."
Does anyone have a link to Andy interview?

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 19/03/2017 21:28:32    1968795

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Would we have came back after been 9 down over previous 6 years??. No"
RD You know as well as I do this game was there for the taking ! As was the Down game but we didn't win either when let's be honest we should have ! Its a great comeback yes but we never should have been in that position! No point in giving in the old sure we wouldn't have come back last year ! We threw this league campaign away ! We should have been in the top 2!

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 19/03/2017 21:36:24    1968799

Link

Replying To grahamc9897:  "RD You know as well as I do this game was there for the taking ! As was the Down game but we didn't win either when let's be honest we should have ! Its a great comeback yes but we never should have been in that position! No point in giving in the old sure we wouldn't have come back last year ! We threw this league campaign away ! We should have been in the top 2!"
We might still be, mistakes were made today yes. But Jesus we have to look at the bigger 1 that was one hell of a wind, 2 we kept plugging away beleiving in the system, 3 not one players head went down, 4 we got a draw.
Could we have won? Absolutely.. Could we have been beat? Yea. Take what we can. This is still very early days in new manager, but the attitude, desire and pride are their in spades . we would not have drawn or won either of those games last year FACT. if this league is all about progression as I was told when I said we should be aiming for promotion, then the team have progressed actually have progressed by some distance.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 19/03/2017 21:53:20    1968809

Link

It's good to come away with something in the bag especially on an away day

However, no point bigging this Cork team up as they have only won a single game in this campaign.

Meath also got themselves in the driving seat and somehow still managed to lose a lead with 70 mins on the clock !!

An enormous game next week versus Fermanagh - double scores on us last year if I remember right in Enniskillen ?

Royalio11 (Meath) - Posts: 757 - 19/03/2017 21:54:30    1968810

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Does anyone have a link to Andy interview?"
https://soundcloud.com/lmfmradio/sunday-sport-an-angry-andy-mcentee-after-meaths-draw-in-cork

BarneysTie (Meath) - Posts: 258 - 19/03/2017 22:33:08    1968832

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "We might still be, mistakes were made today yes. But Jesus we have to look at the bigger 1 that was one hell of a wind, 2 we kept plugging away beleiving in the system, 3 not one players head went down, 4 we got a draw.
Could we have won? Absolutely.. Could we have been beat? Yea. Take what we can. This is still very early days in new manager, but the attitude, desire and pride are their in spades . we would not have drawn or won either of those games last year FACT. if this league is all about progression as I was told when I said we should be aiming for promotion, then the team have progressed actually have progressed by some distance."
Fair enough point just feel we blew it a little this campaign! All about championship soon so hopefully we have a decent run ! Good to see James McEntee back to! Were getting close to our best side now! How did Biggy do did he play at 14

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 19/03/2017 22:34:50    1968834

Link

So Andy is clearly pi**ed off at the work rate of the team, what areas in particular are we not working hard enough? Seems like we lose the majority of 50 50 balls, the majority of breaking ball from kickouts, our wing backs and wing forwards are the main culprits for poor work rate for me.. If only we had some more Donal keoghans... he's just a fabulous footballer

redser123 (Meath) - Posts: 402 - 19/03/2017 22:41:29    1968839

Link

Good result today, especially as we seemed to be really struggling and 9 points down after 45 or 50 minutes. Positive that we never gave up and constantly fought for each other. Psychological boost!

Andy McEntee was rightly passed off on radio alright and it was hard to disagree. Our work rate was definitely below what it should be in 1st half. I think James McEntee replacing Brian Power at half time with moving Padriac Hernan into the centre helped. Looked a lot more assured. I think it proved today that Power isn't the answer to #6, especially against a decent ball player like Mark Collins. Also Eamon Wallace added a greater work rate after his introduction.

Even though I started saying it was a good result, I was disappointed we didn't win after getting back into it and going ahead. Need to take positives and work on defensive work rate for Fermanagh. Most definitely 2 points for the taking.

David (Meath) - Posts: 567 - 19/03/2017 22:43:27    1968842

Link

Replying To Royalio11:  "It's good to come away with something in the bag especially on an away day

However, no point bigging this Cork team up as they have only won a single game in this campaign.

Meath also got themselves in the driving seat and somehow still managed to lose a lead with 70 mins on the clock !!

An enormous game next week versus Fermanagh - double scores on us last year if I remember right in Enniskillen ?"
Just saw Andy's interview on RTE 2........refeshing to hear the boss saying it as it is. No point waffling on when the facts are there for all to see. As he said we were not good enough in the first half etc. I prefer to hear the truth rather than excuses. Players know he expects more,and certaintly not happy. Glass half full fighting back from 9 down for a draw ,+++ or half empty by allowing Cork to build up a 9 point lead ???However , before the game i would have taken a draw.

nobull456 (Meath) - Posts: 1206 - 19/03/2017 22:50:22    1968846

Link

Anyone that knows Andy Mc will know that he is passionate about Meath , and infortunately he also has a trait like the rest of us who are passionate about Meath football in that they say it as they see it. Meath were diabolical in the first half. They played football like youd see soccer players flounce around . No decent tackling or anything .Andy just showed in his interview how frustrating it is getting for him , trying to get a consistent performance from this team . He called it as he seen it , unlike his predecessor . And as to the second half, Cork lost two crucial players . And we still didn't get over the line .

Meath_True (Meath) - Posts: 285 - 19/03/2017 22:52:27    1968848

Link

does James McEntee warrant a start sunday?

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 19/03/2017 22:57:41    1968851

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "does James McEntee warrant a start sunday?"
Despite the fact he hasnt really earned it I think he should start, I still don't know his best position, he could start wing forward in place of ocaoilean, or he could start wing back in place of Brian power with harnan moving to 6. I certainly think he offers a better work rate than the above mentioned

redser123 (Meath) - Posts: 402 - 19/03/2017 23:09:27    1968859

Link

Replying To redser123:  "So Andy is clearly pi**ed off at the work rate of the team, what areas in particular are we not working hard enough? Seems like we lose the majority of 50 50 balls, the majority of breaking ball from kickouts, our wing backs and wing forwards are the main culprits for poor work rate for me.. If only we had some more Donal keoghans... he's just a fabulous footballer"
I know some auld fella said a "good player" wouldnt make mistakes referencing to Donal at the Kildare game.I was not impressed ! He is as good as any all Ireland winning back in the Boylan days

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 19/03/2017 23:20:26    1968864

Link