Meath Forum

Pairc Tailteann

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I think we all agree we need a new stadium in Meath that befits our reputation and history. I think we should all support it and be proud when we have a modern stadium in Meath able to host big games.

Meathmen (Meath) - Posts: 73 - 04/04/2017 17:18:14    1975571

Link

Replying To Htaem:  "It's a fair observation JJ, and we have to be very careful how we proceed with this development because as you say we'd all love to have top facilities but not if it's going to plunge our county into debt and/or compromise our underage structures.

The trouble with Pairc Tailteann is (and realistically Kildare are in the same boat with St. Conleth's Park) that it's in terrible condition and there's a real possibility of health and safety condemning the place, leaving us with no suitable capacity home ground. We have to do something about the place at some stage, hopefully we can get it sorted soon and without much hassle.

As a matter of interest are Kildare planning any re-development in Newbridge?"
They have plans indeed, nice new stand planned here.....

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/news/216555/co-board-given-green-light-to-begin-conleth-s-renovation-x.html

Richieq (Meath) - Posts: 3734 - 04/04/2017 18:36:45    1975631

Link

This is great news and its long overdue. The stand is shocking in this day and age. Hopefully the money will be spent wisely, i.e. no pillars etc.
It will be interesting to see what happens with our home games during construction, would people be in favour of using Parnell park or Drogheda as their home venue during contruction.

royalfan1316 (Meath) - Posts: 27 - 06/04/2017 10:39:00    1976394

Link

Replying To royalfan1316:  "This is great news and its long overdue. The stand is shocking in this day and age. Hopefully the money will be spent wisely, i.e. no pillars etc.
It will be interesting to see what happens with our home games during construction, would people be in favour of using Parnell park or Drogheda as their home venue during contruction."
I can't see Drogheda being an option. Louth players hate playing there so I can't see Meath using it.

BarneysTie (Meath) - Posts: 258 - 06/04/2017 13:50:10    1976497

Link

Replying To royalfan1316:  "This is great news and its long overdue. The stand is shocking in this day and age. Hopefully the money will be spent wisely, i.e. no pillars etc.
It will be interesting to see what happens with our home games during construction, would people be in favour of using Parnell park or Drogheda as their home venue during contruction."
"Hopefully the money will be spent wisely"

God bless your naevity. This is ireland. When it comes to large projects, we just don't do spending wisely.

anfearbeag (Meath) - Posts: 1134 - 06/04/2017 14:01:05    1976504

Link

Work has to start at some time. If we all support it like Dunganny it may not be that painful and we will have a safe and enjoyable place at the end to be proud of.

ALLGAA32 (Meath) - Posts: 64 - 06/04/2017 15:06:05    1976541

Link

Well God bless ye all , its great that the old shed in Pairc Tailteann is getting a face lift . Its also great that 9M is been mentioned as a kitty for the said job .
I however do hope that the designers and the committee that sign off on the final plans are not the same crew that went for our Dunganny project .I know that its better in some ways than what it was . However they must not have planned the objectives right .
A centre of excellence that can only hold a limited number of players at any one time . That S&C numbers have to be split to allow use of the indoor facilities . A gym section that is smaller than what a lot of junior clubs have already installed , see St Ultans Gym / Senchelstown Gym
That the County Board/ committee meeting's cant be held there because the premises are too small to hold all the Club representatives .
Real commitees need to be arranged to discuss the requirements going forward .

Meath_True (Meath) - Posts: 285 - 06/04/2017 15:52:24    1976564

Link

Replying To Meath_True:  "Well God bless ye all , its great that the old shed in Pairc Tailteann is getting a face lift . Its also great that 9M is been mentioned as a kitty for the said job .
I however do hope that the designers and the committee that sign off on the final plans are not the same crew that went for our Dunganny project .I know that its better in some ways than what it was . However they must not have planned the objectives right .
A centre of excellence that can only hold a limited number of players at any one time . That S&C numbers have to be split to allow use of the indoor facilities . A gym section that is smaller than what a lot of junior clubs have already installed , see St Ultans Gym / Senchelstown Gym
That the County Board/ committee meeting's cant be held there because the premises are too small to hold all the Club representatives .
Real commitees need to be arranged to discuss the requirements going forward ."
All county board and committee meetings are held in Dunganny apart from the annual convention which has extra delegates from every club in attendance.
I don't see the point in building a room that will be used once a year when there are facilities available within the county.

Royal_Gunner (Meath) - Posts: 534 - 07/04/2017 12:59:44    1976854

Link

Replying To Meath_True:  "Well God bless ye all , its great that the old shed in Pairc Tailteann is getting a face lift . Its also great that 9M is been mentioned as a kitty for the said job .
Real commitees need to be arranged to discuss the requirements going forward ."
Why be so negative. PT is in my view perfect as a development stadium and we should be thankful that it's actually on the table. I think funding from Croke Park will materialise due to our infrastructure etc.i was in PT in 1979 when Kevin Moran played his last match for the dubs in front of 25 k . How many times has the stadium seen the Dubs since?

Lonetone (Meath) - Posts: 11 - 08/04/2017 06:27:14    1977057

Link

Replying To Royal_Gunner:  "All county board and committee meetings are held in Dunganny apart from the annual convention which has extra delegates from every club in attendance.
I don't see the point in building a room that will be used once a year when there are facilities available within the county."
now gunner , I'm not sure if your spinning the yarn or towing the line , or just naieve . Why have the Co Committee meetings gone on tour since dunganny was opened ..... Don't say its for convenience , not when you have Dunganny central as it is

Meath_True (Meath) - Posts: 285 - 09/04/2017 01:16:37    1977264

Link

Replying To Meath_True:  "now gunner , I'm not sure if your spinning the yarn or towing the line , or just naieve . Why have the Co Committee meetings gone on tour since dunganny was opened ..... Don't say its for convenience , not when you have Dunganny central as it is"
They only go on tour during the summer and were doing that before Dunganny opened, a good idea in my opinion as allows the board to meet the folks on the ground and hear their views, most county board meetings are held in Dunganny as were the championship draws, sponsorship launch etc

Richieq (Meath) - Posts: 3734 - 09/04/2017 19:53:06    1977589

Link

My god the attendance at last few meetings you would not need to many stools for the attendees. Maybe you should. Run for development officer you might have better luck. Don't see the sense in sending the extra couple of 100k for one meeting a year. Clubs been strapped enough as it is

numberedjerseys (USA) - Posts: 348 - 09/04/2017 20:22:17    1977606

Link

Look guys get back on track , the post was about the development of Pairc Tailteann , and ensuring the planning stages of it are carried out in a reasonable, professional manner .
Everytime we do something in life we should strive to go one better that what has already been done . Its called improvement .
various stadia have been upgraded in Ireland in the last number of years . the Pairc Tailteann development with be compared to them , just like Dunganny is compared to Garvahey , Owenbeg , Darver , Cloghan , just to name a few .
We should plan this development to encompass all the positives of the above , and to suit our purposes going forward- future plan . .I just think that we got our previous dev project a bit wrong in relation to facilities , size etc .
I am aware that at minor/ U16 finals held in Dunganny in 2015/2016 some teams still had to tog out in their cars .
If that's not indicative of a lack of future planning then I don't know what is .
I'm just suggesting that the project team leading this development look at all aspects , and try to future proof it .
Examples of big Projects that went array in my opinion
Construction of Aras Tailteann , unplanned construction .
Purchasing of Old swimming pool site .
The Pairc Tailteann lighting a number of years ago , the engineering of which now lie degrading at ground level all around PT .
Leave the Happy farmers , teachers at home on this project , get in professional men that know whats required , and how to future proof it .
Jaysus the Brooklyn bridge in New York was designed and engineered over a hundred years ago .
Do you see how it was future proofed back then , did they paln for future traffic requirements , underground , trains etc. . . Surely the land of Saints , Scholars , and Engineers can get P.T. right this time round . 9 Million is a lot of cups of tea .
Just to say I'm not negative, what I am is pessimistic based on past experience of Meath Co Board projects.
As the well known Costner film said . " if you build it ( right) , they will come "

Meath_True (Meath) - Posts: 285 - 10/04/2017 09:06:00    1977750

Link

Replying To Richieq:  "They only go on tour during the summer and were doing that before Dunganny opened, a good idea in my opinion as allows the board to meet the folks on the ground and hear their views, most county board meetings are held in Dunganny as were the championship draws, sponsorship launch etc"
Richieq

That meet the folks on the ground story is for children , everyone knows that the only people allowed to talk and in some cases enter a Committee meeting are the delegates . the same ones that attend the annual etc.
So meeting the same crew forth a cup of tea in St Michaels , or Ballinbrackey is the same as meeting in Dunganny , however its a lot shorter ( at Dunganny ) if your from either of those areas .

Meath_True (Meath) - Posts: 285 - 10/04/2017 09:23:51    1977763

Link

Does anyone think instead of co board putting clubs in debt for years to come its time they bit the bullet and sell pairc tailtean and build a new stadium in dungany with the proceeds

Simson (Meath) - Posts: 1 - 12/04/2017 21:33:39    1978932

Link

agree that it shouldnt be put on the clubs again but i dont think selling pairc tailteann is an option dunganny is fine as a centre of excellence but for a county ground option no. if you said sell up and develp ashbourne or trim yes that would be more of an option with parking throughout both towns

srgt_slaughter (Meath) - Posts: 462 - 13/04/2017 17:51:37    1979175

Link

Replying To Simson:  "Does anyone think instead of co board putting clubs in debt for years to come its time they bit the bullet and sell pairc tailtean and build a new stadium in dungany with the proceeds"
No. and may I add Ashbourne or Trim would be poor options for parking. You can put 15k into PT with little parking problems throughout the town and you are 500 -1500m off two exits to a motorway in the middle of the county. If you built in Dunganny you with require 100 acres + of parking, or maybe one could park along the R161 and the line of traffic would end up in Navan!

browncows (Meath) - Posts: 2342 - 13/04/2017 19:22:54    1979200

Link

Replying To Wedgie:  "Trim and Don Ash are probably the two best playing surfaces in the county at the moment."
Would put P T pitch in top 5 in Country never mind County and always playable regardless of weather, hope its not interfered with.

Royaldevil (Meath) - Posts: 5 - 14/04/2017 22:11:48    1979479

Link

Replying To Royaldevil:  "Would put P T pitch in top 5 in Country never mind County and always playable regardless of weather, hope its not interfered with."
Agree Pairc Tailteann and Trim are a mile and a half beyond the rest of the grounds in Meath in terms of pitch quality. Stamullen is really good when it's dry and Summerhill is very good. Ashbourne is miles down for me. Because it has a stand and a nice fence around it people think it's good. It isn't good few holes on the pitch, uneven surface, fairly sandy and that is before you account for the 90 mph wind on the pitch which ruins almost all games at the ground

LeitrimRoyal99 (Meath) - Posts: 1455 - 14/04/2017 23:25:02    1979486

Link

So it's a 21'000 all seater stadium with two 7000 capacity stands on either side and two 3500 capacity stands at either goal end.......mighty impressive plan I must say

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/sport/gaa/articles/2017/04/13/4138399-21000seater-stadium-in-the-pipeline-for-navan/

Richieq (Meath) - Posts: 3734 - 20/04/2017 19:35:19    1981245

Link