Meath Forum

Pairc Tailteann

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To ziggy32001:  "Skryne is another one which tends to have a very good surface."
I was up in Ardcath recently for the first time in donkeys years, and they seem to have put in a fine new pitch. Anyone play on it, and if so what's it like to play on? Hopefully they can get new dressing rooms sorted - they certainly need them.

anfearbeag (Meath) - Posts: 1134 - 31/10/2016 21:22:37    1930520

Link

PT is one of the best surfaces along with St Pat, Trim, Kells Don/Ash and their are a few others (PT was over used last spring and that does not suit any pitch. Some pitches being mentioned are good summer surfaces but very poor in the winter just like Tullamore and a few other county grounds. Unless it is sand based then surface will be very poor in prolonged wet weather.

browncows (Meath) - Posts: 2342 - 31/10/2016 21:32:29    1930522

Link

Replying To Brownepat:  "when usage is taken into account it is the best nigh on 30 games in last 6 weeks the others be no where near that"
The trim Pitch has multiple games on it almost year round.. You could cut hay in PT sometimes with the way it is managed.

Irish_downunder (Meath) - Posts: 630 - 01/11/2016 08:47:18    1930550

Link

I noticed that in the picture on the report from Mondays minor finals, that presentation was taking place at a podium bareing a fancy new pairc Tailteann logo. This a sign of future marketing of the ground ala the way croke Park is marketed with its own logo, font and colour scheme?

Jinxie (Meath) - Posts: 6342 - 02/11/2016 21:01:52    1931024

Link

The Ardcath pitch looks fantastic. It's not open until next year I believe.

Royal_Gunner (Meath) - Posts: 534 - 03/11/2016 10:04:11    1931093

Link

The trim Pitch has multiple games on it almost year round.. You could cut hay in PT sometimes with the way it is managed.
Irish_downunder

Players are not allowed to warm up on the Trim pitch - it gets little abuse and their are no lights and therefore no night matches which effect a playing surface most. If Trim got the abuse that PT got I'm afraid its condition would not be as good as it is now.

browncows (Meath) - Posts: 2342 - 03/11/2016 13:26:13    1931206

Link

Replying To browncows:  "The trim Pitch has multiple games on it almost year round.. You could cut hay in PT sometimes with the way it is managed.
Irish_downunder

Players are not allowed to warm up on the Trim pitch - it gets little abuse and their are no lights and therefore no night matches which effect a playing surface most. If Trim got the abuse that PT got I'm afraid its condition would not be as good as it is now."
Teams don't warm up on PT pitch either. My god you obviously have never played there. Teams don't warm up on the pitch but are made warm up on the landfill opposite it. The only time teams get on the pitch is the 5 minutes before the game starts.. Whats your next pointless comment.

Irish_downunder (Meath) - Posts: 630 - 03/11/2016 15:03:27    1931233

Link

Teams don't warm up on PT pitch either. My god you obviously have never played there. Teams don't warm up on the pitch but are made warm up on the landfill opposite it. The only time teams get on the pitch is the 5 minutes before the game starts.. Whats your next pointless comment.
Irish_downunder

My pointless comment is to refute the silly comments made by yourself. Trim have no lights, so no matches are played under lights thereby avoiding stress on the playing surface. Players do some of their warm ups on PT and matches were always played under lights until they were taken down. I have seen cones out on the pitch many times last year and before all county matches- they were small cones and maybe you had difficulty seeing them!

browncows (Meath) - Posts: 2342 - 03/11/2016 17:20:35    1931279

Link

Navan has no lights either in fairness.

Trim would host every Meath home hurling match, plus all Trim's home matches in hurling, football, camogie and ladies football plus many underage games etc. Dunno where you get the impression it's barely used.

CastleBravo (Meath) - Posts: 1643 - 03/11/2016 19:18:27    1931306

Link

Replying To Irish_downunder:  "Teams don't warm up on PT pitch either. My god you obviously have never played there. Teams don't warm up on the pitch but are made warm up on the landfill opposite it. The only time teams get on the pitch is the 5 minutes before the game starts.. Whats your next pointless comment."
Trim messed up by not putting a stand in when building the new grounds. It is easy to be clever in hindsight but they should have left stuff like the bar as an option in the future but design and build the basic structure and include a small covered stand. If that was the case then Trim would probably be getting the home NHL games and, possibly SHC finals like used to be the case.

oldsam_newsam (Meath) - Posts: 638 - 03/11/2016 19:55:00    1931325

Link

Replying To oldsam_newsam:  "Trim messed up by not putting a stand in when building the new grounds. It is easy to be clever in hindsight but they should have left stuff like the bar as an option in the future but design and build the basic structure and include a small covered stand. If that was the case then Trim would probably be getting the home NHL games and, possibly SHC finals like used to be the case."
It was in the plans to do it but a few million was spent in the wrong areas pockets

Irish_downunder (Meath) - Posts: 630 - 04/11/2016 15:10:20    1931553

Link

So the powers that be of Leinster and Central Councils are looking favourably on the plan as are our neighbours in Louth and the go ahead has been given to seek planning for a 20'000 capacity stadium, at long last it looks like we are going somewhere......

Richieq (Meath) - Posts: 3734 - 13/12/2016 10:25:47    1939828

Link

Its says a 20K stadium which seems reasonable. Will it be all-seater or take on an O'Moore/O'Connor style?

This wont be worth it though if we don't get home games in Leinster, none of this neutral venue stuff. We need proper home games in championship football to test that capacity.

RoyalBadger (Meath) - Posts: 571 - 13/12/2016 12:15:27    1939864

Link

Replying To RoyalBadger:  "Its says a 20K stadium which seems reasonable. Will it be all-seater or take on an O'Moore/O'Connor style?

This wont be worth it though if we don't get home games in Leinster, none of this neutral venue stuff. We need proper home games in championship football to test that capacity."
I would say we will get a stand similar to Tullamore maybe a little smaller. Then put in two new terraces on either goal. I'd say that would comfortably bring it up to 20,000

LeitrimRoyal99 (Meath) - Posts: 1454 - 13/12/2016 14:01:20    1939894

Link

Wouldn't mind a Tullamore type setup, and we've more space to get it done too. The area behind the hospital goals would be great for a huge kop style terrace, but since it'd never be filled it'd be a huge waste of money.

CastleBravo (Meath) - Posts: 1643 - 13/12/2016 14:41:22    1939903

Link

Replying To CastleBravo:  "Wouldn't mind a Tullamore type setup, and we've more space to get it done too. The area behind the hospital goals would be great for a huge kop style terrace, but since it'd never be filled it'd be a huge waste of money."
Yeah, i agree. Attendances have been dropping and I dont think the state of PT has much to do with the drop.

The new development is a huge positive but if the CB think that they will be able to increase entry fees again in line with the development then the occasions that it will be anywhere near full will be few and far between,

oldsam_newsam (Meath) - Posts: 638 - 13/12/2016 15:20:44    1939913

Link

20000 should be easily achievable. Didn't we have 20000 at the 2011 game against Kildare? And there was still plenty of room.
Though I wouldn't be holding my breath on anything happening in the near future. We've heard stuff like this many times and nothing's changed (apart from the floodlights coming down).

Ratoath Royal (Meath) - Posts: 1362 - 13/12/2016 16:16:35    1939933

Link

The focus nowadays is on more seating and more covered accommodation, I imagine we might see this in the new plans with a higher ratio of seating over terracing and more than one covered area, the Nowlan Park scenario with three sides seated and cover available on all four sides would be very desirable, alternatively an O'Connor Park type design with a higher amount of seating would be equally fine. Basically anything up and beyond what's there at the minute would be great as you wouldn't sell turkeys out of the back of the existing stand........ mind you some of the places I got my turkeys over the years were ropey enough but that's a tale for another day

Richieq (Meath) - Posts: 3734 - 13/12/2016 18:51:59    1939968

Link

Replying To Ratoath Royal:  "20000 should be easily achievable. Didn't we have 20000 at the 2011 game against Kildare? And there was still plenty of room.
Though I wouldn't be holding my breath on anything happening in the near future. We've heard stuff like this many times and nothing's changed (apart from the floodlights coming down)."
True, the biggest crowds I remember in the place were against Galway and Kildare in 2011 and the famous qualifier against Louth in 2002, all those games saw crowds of 17-20'000 and I remember no issues at any of those games save the usual que for the jacks etc, I don't know how the original capacity of near 30'000 was ever arrived at or how it was arrived at but the place never came near that sort of crowd even in our pomp so a fit for purpose and comfortable 20K capacity would be fantastic. I think Leinster Council may be starting to see sense in redeveloping an existing and accessible county ground that has the size and scope required as PT does, as opposed to building a new stadium on a green field site with all the associated costs that would bring. The Dubs need there own new home but let them worry about that, a revamped PT could cater for north and west Leinster and indeed south Ulster in terms of neutral provincial and qualifier matches and would be a no brainer against a new build on the M50. The apparent support of Louth in this cause is most welcome and I'm sure Louth supporters would prefer a trip to Navan over somewhere like Parnell Park.

Richieq (Meath) - Posts: 3734 - 14/12/2016 00:06:34    1940018

Link

We're heading in the right direction by the sounds of things, but we're also still stuck at the talking stages, still plenty of hurdles to jump before we start seeing shovels.

Hopefully we can get a move on with this, the last thing we want to see is this getting stalled by red tape and lack of interest from Croke Park. The Meath County Board need to move quickly and effectively.

Htaem (Meath) - Posts: 8657 - 14/12/2016 11:27:54    1940048

Link