Meath Forum

Pairc Tailteann

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

"Plans for developments/redevelopments in either Dundalk and/or Drogheda are currently being viewed by Croke Park. "

I heard that myself,they want to build a big massage cage and throw you'se all into it & play amongst yourselves,bit like the nike ad a few years ago.At least opposition players,spectators and officials can now rest assured safe in the knowledge you can't attack anyone except yourselves.Three cheers for Croke Park,my Christmas just came early.

boots96 (Meath) - Posts: 95 - 15/11/2011 09:43:59    1069131

Link

Today's news doesn't look too good for Navan. Apparently the stand is a fire hazard.
I see in the secretaries comments, he claims the steel would be strong enough to support a new roof. So basically, there'll be a few new slates put on it and that's as close as we'll get to a new stand.

However, I've become decided on the issue at the minute.

While on one had I agree that it's not in great shape, and I'd love to see it redeveloped and looking like park elser, Morgan fuels stadium, breffni park and so on.
And I'd like these recent reports on safety to be the kick in the backside to get it moving.

One the other hand, I think it's a strange coincidence that both Navan and newbridge are getting such damming reports at the same time as the GAA are pushing for the new shared stadium on the m50.

Health and safety never stepped in to this extent in either place before this, but since mention of the shared stadium, they've suddenly became active.

Now I'm not saying ignore the reports, health and safety must come first, but, bad and all as the stadium us, it's ours, and id much rather it left as it is than be bullied into suitting the gaa to help subsidise Dublins new ground.

Jinxie (Meath) - Posts: 6342 - 24/11/2011 12:43:38    1074925

Link

Cant see many royals being too happy shelling out for a communial stadium ,looks like time for big decisions to be made in camp meath

royalpainter (Meath) - Posts: 874 - 24/11/2011 12:53:22    1074938

Link

royalpainter
County: Meath

Cant see many royals being too happy shelling out for a communial stadium ,looks like time for big decisions to be made in camp meath

Agreed, but with money very tight, and potentially without a sponsor, our decision could be forced upon us.

Jinxie (Meath) - Posts: 6342 - 24/11/2011 16:40:33    1075154

Link

Ok so what does this really mean for the stand , will we be allowed to use for o byrne ,leauge and/or club games ? Do we know if this is imediate or just dont turn on the heaters ? I know things are bad moneywise but i feel true supporters would be more eager to support the refurbishment of pt ,especialy if its done in phases and of course it would be a much easer sell,as its really the supporters who will get use of it ,as opposed to dunganny ,ive a couple of sheets of boxed cladding i can donate and a box of screws ,any one else ?

royalpainter (Meath) - Posts: 874 - 24/11/2011 18:15:52    1075245

Link

The Meath senior team will not be without a sponsor next season. I know of one businessman who has made several offers to sponsor them. If successful, it will make for a good photoshoot!

GlasagusOr (Meath) - Posts: 1348 - 24/11/2011 18:16:42    1075246

Link

I hope meath can find a way out of this mess. I have always loved taken a wee trip to navan for a match and the atmosphere for qualifiers was great still remember being lifted up and put back down and lifted up again when gg got the goal against louth. But the county board has neglected the ground for far to long meath is one of the few counties that need a 20,000 minimum stadium. I believe the county board should resign and new forward thinking people put in place to safe guard meath football with proper development structure put in place for Stadium and senior team.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1928 - 24/11/2011 18:29:15    1075253

Link

I'd have to agree with the lads that are saying theres no need to try and built a 30000 seater stadium , id also agree that the o'mahoneys grass bank should definitely be prioritized its were the atmosphere is generated at the big games , also of course the stand should be developed if its a fire hazard, if they could make the stand anyway safe then im sure a few bucket seats wouldnt break the bank

northsidegael (Meath) - Posts: 108 - 24/11/2011 18:55:38    1075271

Link

GlasagusOr

The Meath senior team will not be without a sponsor next season. I know of one businessman who has made several offers to sponsor them. If successful, it will make for a good photoshoot!

If it's the person I'm thinking of, then did he not turn it down a cuple of years ago?
Meath were struggling to find a sponsor at the time and I think he declared that he wasn't interested at the time. Could be wrong tho.
That's provided we are both on about the same person.

Jinxie (Meath) - Posts: 6342 - 24/11/2011 18:57:53    1075274

Link

I think jinxie may be onto something there its seems a bit convienent the timing of these reports on or hallowed grounds. I know safety has to be given priority but they are really running the place into the ground with these reports. However its obvious that something will have to be done with the place and that will have to entail more than saying we are going to put in some bucket seats. You just get the feeling that the Co. Board hasnt grasped the seriousness of the situation and they are not really going to do a lot about it. Someone really needs to take a lead on this because unfortunatley there seems to be nobody at Co. Board level capable of doing so.

tulisa (Meath) - Posts: 24 - 24/11/2011 20:37:08    1075358

Link

Jinxie, I doubt it is the same person. The county board (or whoever calls the shots) effectively turned down offers on a few occasions, holding out for more money elsewhere. They may be very grateful for sponsorship from these same people now and in future. No harm for the MCB to have to go back cap in hand and taste some humble pie. It's a good job some folk do not hold it against them, but when people are in business they see the bigger picture. They are sponsoring to promote their already highly successful range of products, while at the same time giving something back to the sports community.

GlasagusOr (Meath) - Posts: 1348 - 25/11/2011 10:50:30    1075505

Link

this has been flagged a long time now in fact since the summer it was first muted, and is part of a GAA orchestrated gradual erosion of other counties grounds capacity to facilitate the funding of a new ground off the m50. When you look at the first reduction of pairc taillteann during the qualifiers , this new blue wave plan issued by dublin, the reduction of the ground in newbridge and now a lot more grounds round the country all under the guise of health and safety! This is all a plan from HQ to bulldoze on with a new stadium to take away counties home advantage and force their hand to play in a new stadium. Meath, Kildare, Louth, Wicklow and further afield counties need to wake up to this fact the GAA are only in it to make as much money as they can and will do anything to keep dublin happy and make sure their supporters never have to travel too far from home!

jackmeyhoffer (USA) - Posts: 148 - 25/11/2011 11:15:39    1075525

Link

If successful Jinxie, your all time favourite gael may be competing for Joe Sheridan's shirt!

GlasagusOr (Meath) - Posts: 1348 - 25/11/2011 11:34:05    1075540

Link

GlasagusOr

Ah I think that was the reason he pulled out at the time.
Are we both on about a company who also sponsor skryne and Navan rugby among others?

Jinxie (Meath) - Posts: 6342 - 25/11/2011 11:35:05    1075542

Link

You know if that came to bloom for once it would be nice to have a sponsor whom the whole county will recognise

royalpainter (Meath) - Posts: 874 - 25/11/2011 14:51:06    1075664

Link

Yes.

Even if they built a smaller stadium near Dublin, regional county grounds will still be required for most non-championship matches. So while a major redeveloping of Pairc Tailteann would be off the agenda, why not improve it anyway. Concrete terracing behind the town end goal isn't asking for much.

Which would people prefer ... modern concrete terracing on both sides in place of the stand (leave both grass banks alone, there are scenic!) or our present stand with bucket seats and a new roof. I think it is so old that retro fitting or replacing certain parts would still be short sighted. We have seen a few disasters in previous decades across the water, with stands of similar vintage (walls falling down and dodgy roofs). We would do well to take note and not fall into the same level of complacency others did in the UK ... ah sure it will not happen here. If it happens once, it will be too late.

I say if it the stand is been condemed as it presently sits (granted it may be to suit an agenda atm), better to knock it and do what we can do properly over time or in stages, than spend money on a quick fix which doesn't offer a long term solution. Just like some old cars, there comes a point where money spent repairing them is uneconomical and better invested in something modern. Time to bite the bullet and at least plan to do things properly.

GlasagusOr (Meath) - Posts: 1348 - 25/11/2011 14:52:34    1075668

Link

http://www.donashgaa.com/index.php/our-club/new-clubhouse

Would a larger (full pitch length) version of Donaghmore Ashbourne's facilities on the present stand side of Pairc Tailteann be a realistic proposition? With concrete terracing behind one goal to have a decent capacity.

GlasagusOr (Meath) - Posts: 1348 - 25/11/2011 15:19:43    1075684

Link

Well with regard to even temporary development. Have our last two sponsors not been major construction companies? Could these have done some work to bring the ground into shape?

Also, what about the idea of selling the naming rights to generate the money to redevelop it?

Jinxie (Meath) - Posts: 6342 - 25/11/2011 15:22:44    1075685

Link

I cannot see it changing from Pairc Tailteann to ... The XXX Athletic Grounds ... and being somewhat old-skool, not sure I'd want it to either. But yes a major sponsorship deal involving the naming rights on a modern stand would be ideal. They do that at Dalymount Park, without having to rename the entire stadium like premiership clubs across the water.

GlasagusOr (Meath) - Posts: 1348 - 25/11/2011 15:53:38    1075704

Link

GlasagusOr

Well you wouldn't have to lose the original name either. Ala Kingspan breffni park. Or in Armagh. It was Keats called the athletic grounds, now it's just the Morgan athletic grounds.

Jinxie (Meath) - Posts: 6342 - 25/11/2011 16:22:36    1075726

Link