Meath Forum

Meath clubs in Leinster

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To lady_gaagaa:  "I'm not sure as I don't know the guy. I heard from other people in the county he played with St. Malachy's for a time, yet I saw an interview transcript where he says he played for Lomans since under 8's. There is no Parish rule in Westmeath and the locations of different clubs is not too well spread out. For eg there are a large number of football clubs in the area within 20km southwest of Mullingar, covering a largely rural area with low population. In comparison northern parts of the county have fewer. It is common to see people from the same parish play for different clubs to each other.

I haven't a clue if Loman's have poached or tapped up young players from other clubs. If some on the WH forum are to be believed they hold considerable influence with the County board and have had quite a few underage transfers in to their club in recent years."
He never played for st malachys, he has been with lomans certainly since under 12. However he was a star in school, lomans go to all the schools as you know and encourages players to sign up, clubs like malachys shandonnagh Castletown haven't a hope against them in terms of attraction.
Let me be very clear I know John and his family for a very long time. Lovely people, and indeed if they or others read this they will know exactly who I am, they have never made a secret of the fact that despite dysert been a good distance from lomans and in the catchment area of shandonnagh they opted for for John to play for lomans which is there right.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 14/11/2017 19:05:26    2062354

Link

A bit off the topic but who is o rourkes management team kenny, mills??

Reco (Meath) - Posts: 419 - 14/11/2017 20:12:33    2062365

Link

Honestly Lads, nobody actually cares where he lives/lived/plans tosettle down and grow old!! The fact is he is playing for St. Lomans, against simonstown and has the ability win the game on his own, hes that good a player. Shut him down/the service into him and Simonstown will win in my opinion, fail to have a specific gameplan focuesed around doing this and Simonstown will lose in my opinion.

ratlag (Meath) - Posts: 557 - 15/11/2017 11:15:43    2062438

Link

Best of luck to Curraha and Kiltale at the weekend.
Ballyboughal are definitely beatable. The Dublin IFC is relatively weak when it comes to first teams and Ballyboughal didn't even get past the quarter finals this year.
Hope that this is the year Kiltale finally get the Kilkenny monkey off their back. They're certainly good enough but they're going to have to be cynical enough as well to beat the KK champions. If they were to win on Saturday, I can see them being good enough to win the All Ireland (which would see our SHC champions in the Leinster SHC next year).

Ratoath Royal (Meath) - Posts: 1362 - 15/11/2017 12:51:38    2062466

Link

Replying To Ratoath Royal:  "Best of luck to Curraha and Kiltale at the weekend.
Ballyboughal are definitely beatable. The Dublin IFC is relatively weak when it comes to first teams and Ballyboughal didn't even get past the quarter finals this year.
Hope that this is the year Kiltale finally get the Kilkenny monkey off their back. They're certainly good enough but they're going to have to be cynical enough as well to beat the KK champions. If they were to win on Saturday, I can see them being good enough to win the All Ireland (which would see our SHC champions in the Leinster SHC next year)."
Have you ever seen ballyboughal play I wouldn't count ur chickens yet just because they lost in the q/f in dublin look up who beat them and who is going to win dublin and how close ballyboughal got to them and there at home where the havent lost all year the ha will do well to leave north county dublin with the win

Dublinclub (Dublin) - Posts: 4 - 15/11/2017 13:50:46    2062474

Link

Replying To Dublinclub:  "Have you ever seen ballyboughal play I wouldn't count ur chickens yet just because they lost in the q/f in dublin look up who beat them and who is going to win dublin and how close ballyboughal got to them and there at home where the havent lost all year the ha will do well to leave north county dublin with the win"
I assume you're a Ballyboughal member. Nope, haven't seen them play. Have seen Dublin's intermediate representatives (Donabate who lost the Dublin final) in action playing my club a few years back and we eased past them. I don't for a second think Curraha are guaranteed to win so I'm not "counting my chickens", I just think that they have a great chance to make another Leinster final. I think that, compared to the strength of the Dublin SFC in Leinster, the Dublin IFC is a lot weaker on a provincial level (only one Dublin team have won the Leinster IFC).

Ratoath Royal (Meath) - Posts: 1362 - 15/11/2017 15:17:13    2062484

Link

Question for ye...

When was the last time that our senior champions had a home game in Leinster?

ziggy320001 (Meath) - Posts: 2432 - 15/11/2017 15:54:58    2062492

Link

Replying To Ratoath Royal:  "I assume you're a Ballyboughal member. Nope, haven't seen them play. Have seen Dublin's intermediate representatives (Donabate who lost the Dublin final) in action playing my club a few years back and we eased past them. I don't for a second think Curraha are guaranteed to win so I'm not "counting my chickens", I just think that they have a great chance to make another Leinster final. I think that, compared to the strength of the Dublin SFC in Leinster, the Dublin IFC is a lot weaker on a provincial level (only one Dublin team have won the Leinster IFC)."
Curraha will win alright

ziggy320001 (Meath) - Posts: 2432 - 15/11/2017 15:56:57    2062493

Link

Replying To Ratoath Royal:  "I assume you're a Ballyboughal member. Nope, haven't seen them play. Have seen Dublin's intermediate representatives (Donabate who lost the Dublin final) in action playing my club a few years back and we eased past them. I don't for a second think Curraha are guaranteed to win so I'm not "counting my chickens", I just think that they have a great chance to make another Leinster final. I think that, compared to the strength of the Dublin SFC in Leinster, the Dublin IFC is a lot weaker on a provincial level (only one Dublin team have won the Leinster IFC)."
Not a member of them am probably closer to the ha but have seen them play a few times they have a lad who would walk onto most other county teams if they stop him be half the battle small pitch they have suits them and then they have the lad full forward who must be 7 ft tall

Dublinclub (Dublin) - Posts: 4 - 15/11/2017 15:59:35    2062494

Link

Replying To ziggy320001:  "Question for ye...

When was the last time that our senior champions had a home game in Leinster?"
In 2011 Summerhill were at home to Brigids of Dublin

2012 NOM lost in Longford
13 Summerhill won in Drogheda and then lost to Vincents in Parnell Park
14 and 15 NOM lost Rhode and Killoe both away
16 Simonstown lost in Tullamore to Rhode and then won in Wexford last Sunday

royalfan4life (Meath) - Posts: 76 - 15/11/2017 16:11:49    2062497

Link

Traditionally the Dublin clubs have been poor at intermediate and junior level. The reason being that there have 32 clubs at senior level in the capital
Once the county team gets to Leinster semi final the clubs that quailify get a bye in Leinster club that is why meath clubs are nearly always away in Leinster club competitions

numberedjerseys (USA) - Posts: 348 - 15/11/2017 16:38:53    2062504

Link

Replying To ratlag:  "Honestly Lads, nobody actually cares where he lives/lived/plans tosettle down and grow old!! The fact is he is playing for St. Lomans, against simonstown and has the ability win the game on his own, hes that good a player. Shut him down/the service into him and Simonstown will win in my opinion, fail to have a specific gameplan focuesed around doing this and Simonstown will lose in my opinion."
I agreed. Btw the goal from throw in in county final was up there with best I have ever seen. That been said if and it's a big if, simonstown can keep him quite and supply limited, and above all keep silly frees to minimum (cause anything within 50amd he will pop them over) then simonstown should prevail.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 15/11/2017 17:32:21    2062519

Link

Replying To Dublinclub:  "Not a member of them am probably closer to the ha but have seen them play a few times they have a lad who would walk onto most other county teams if they stop him be half the battle small pitch they have suits them and then they have the lad full forward who must be 7 ft tall"
Yes I agree if curraha stop Gerry Seavers impact on the game it'll go way in helping them win it. I wonder were the curraha management team at the boughal emo game? I presume they where. Which would be a big advantage to them as I doubt anyone from boughal has seen curraha play.

TheMeathmaster (Meath) - Posts: 4 - 15/11/2017 17:37:58    2062521

Link

I can't believe the county board are making Simonstown play a league semi final on Thursday, 10 days before a Leinster semi final.
is it any wonder we don't compete too well at this level.
I wouldn't think any other of the teams remaining will have any games fixed this week.

Maestro (Meath) - Posts: 569 - 15/11/2017 21:29:14    2062574

Link

Are you serious 10 days it will be a good run out for them. Dr Croke's play east kerry championship on Sunday a week before they play Munster club final.

numberedjerseys (USA) - Posts: 348 - 15/11/2017 22:34:00    2062583

Link

Replying To numberedjerseys:  "Are you serious 10 days it will be a good run out for them. Dr Croke's play east kerry championship on Sunday a week before they play Munster club final."
Absolutely. A hard conpetitive match 10 days before the semi? It's perfect preparation. The county board are doing them a favour giving them such a warm up game! (And I am being serious. No sarcasm intended)

anfearbeag (Meath) - Posts: 1134 - 16/11/2017 07:49:16    2062606

Link

Too true all the talk over the years of Kilkenny clubs playing away when county team is winning game after game. Time the nandy pandyness was taken out of meath club football
Nothing better than a decent game to prepare them

Brownepat (Meath) - Posts: 532 - 16/11/2017 12:33:44    2062645

Link

Replying To Maestro:  "I can't believe the county board are making Simonstown play a league semi final on Thursday, 10 days before a Leinster semi final.
I wouldn't think any other of the teams remaining will have any games fixed this week."
If they hadn't got this game they would be on the hunt around for challenge match, good job you are not involved in fixtures or competitions would never be completed

Analyst (Meath) - Posts: 1467 - 16/11/2017 13:59:08    2062667

Link

Replying To royalfan4life:  "In 2011 Summerhill were at home to Brigids of Dublin

2012 NOM lost in Longford
13 Summerhill won in Drogheda and then lost to Vincents in Parnell Park
14 and 15 NOM lost Rhode and Killoe both away
16 Simonstown lost in Tullamore to Rhode and then won in Wexford last Sunday"
And that will lead into 2018 even if Simonstown win Leinster.
That would be 7 years at least!

ziggy320001 (Meath) - Posts: 2432 - 16/11/2017 14:20:37    2062671

Link

Replying To Maestro:  "I can't believe the county board are making Simonstown play a league semi final on Thursday, 10 days before a Leinster semi final.
I wouldn't think any other of the teams remaining will have any games fixed this week."
Simonstown want to play game tonight, 10 days before next round in Leinster, better than training, chance to give some other lads game time, its all good

longroadback (Meath) - Posts: 325 - 16/11/2017 14:20:42    2062672

Link