Meath Forum

Meath Minor Football championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Royalblufill:  "Nope - Na Fianna won the league which qualified them for Feile - Ratoath beat Trim in the 14s Championship!"
It was championship I was talking about
The Ratoath kids born in 2000 won championship at u14 and that year Dunshaughlin represented meath at feile

Drawmatch (Meath) - Posts: 19 - 02/11/2017 18:01:11    2059836

Link

Replying To Drawmatch:  "It was championship I was talking about
The Ratoath kids born in 2000 won championship at u14 and that year Dunshaughlin represented meath at feile"
Yeah - ratoath kids from 1999 won the championship in 1999 against trim - they lost the league final to na fianna that year - funnily enough dunboyne seemed to be always considered the top dogs of the 99 lads - but na fianna and ratoath seemed to win the big championships

Royalblufill (Meath) - Posts: 475 - 02/11/2017 20:19:58    2059862

Link

Summerhill should be way to strong for Wolfe tones. They have 5 members of the senior panel playing and a couple of others close to the senior panel.3 Meath Minors as well. Add to that that they have already defeated the Tones and it's hard to see where they will be beaten. Yes the Tones have O'Finnegain but are very weak in a lot of positions. They have also lost a number of lads to injuries and overseas. Summerhill by 7 at least. Can't see why they were not in Div 1.

latouche25 (Meath) - Posts: 520 - 03/11/2017 00:48:27    2059936

Link

Replying To latouche25:  "Summerhill should be way to strong for Wolfe tones. They have 5 members of the senior panel playing and a couple of others close to the senior panel.3 Meath Minors as well. Add to that that they have already defeated the Tones and it's hard to see where they will be beaten. Yes the Tones have O'Finnegain but are very weak in a lot of positions. They have also lost a number of lads to injuries and overseas. Summerhill by 7 at least. Can't see why they were not in Div 1."
Yep I would say Summerhill are favourites against Tones but I think it will be close enough . As regards Summerhill in Division 1 they probably would be able to compete but would not feature in my opinion in the latter stages of the championship as are definitely are developing side and maybe next years under 19 might suit more

Bear10 (Meath) - Posts: 463 - 03/11/2017 09:26:31    2059975

Link

Replying To Bear10:  "Yep I would say Summerhill are favourites against Tones but I think it will be close enough . As regards Summerhill in Division 1 they probably would be able to compete but would not feature in my opinion in the latter stages of the championship as are definitely are developing side and maybe next years under 19 might suit more"
Wolfe Tones also have Caolan Ward who is a good player and a couple of other good players. Both teams have some strong individuals but probably haven't the strength in depth to have featured in Division 1. I think it could be a very tight game and agree Summerhill are favourites.

Royalblufill (Meath) - Posts: 475 - 03/11/2017 10:24:58    2059995

Link

What do you think the team of the championship has been?

1234444444 (Meath) - Posts: 3 - 03/11/2017 15:35:58    2060152

Link

Replying To 1234444444:  "What do you think the team of the championship has been?"
Ratoath are a strong favourite for this no doubt after they dominated the minor and are in with a chance of the 17s

Meathfootball1 (Meath) - Posts: 5 - 03/11/2017 17:23:41    2060191

Link

Replying To Meathfootball1:  "Ratoath are a strong favourite for this no doubt after they dominated the minor and are in with a chance of the 17s"
And what about the players of the championship

1234444444 (Meath) - Posts: 3 - 03/11/2017 17:29:19    2060194

Link

Interesting game tomorrow night in Dunganny.
U17 football final Ratoath v Dunboyne.
Probably the two top teams for born 2000s for a while now.
Ratoath have half of their minor winning team eligible for this, while Dunboyne have a number of this years successful Meath U17 side on show.
Ratoath won the group game by the minimum although the scoreline flattered Dunboyne somewhat.
Ratoath have gone unbeaten, while Dunboyne have lost 2.
From what I understand Ratoath have always been able to beat Dunboyne at this age, so no reason to think this will change.
Ratoath are favorites and should win by 6or7 points.

Upforyourball (Meath) - Posts: 37 - 07/11/2017 11:24:19    2060953

Link

Replying To Upforyourball:  "Interesting game tomorrow night in Dunganny.
U17 football final Ratoath v Dunboyne.
Probably the two top teams for born 2000s for a while now.
Ratoath have half of their minor winning team eligible for this, while Dunboyne have a number of this years successful Meath U17 side on show.
Ratoath won the group game by the minimum although the scoreline flattered Dunboyne somewhat.
Ratoath have gone unbeaten, while Dunboyne have lost 2.
From what I understand Ratoath have always been able to beat Dunboyne at this age, so no reason to think this will change.
Ratoath are favorites and should win by 6or7 points."
Ratoath had 6 starters from this age group (5 from 2000 and 1 from 2001). Ratoath won the group game alright but I am not sure the scoreline flattered them. They were excellent in the first half and Dunboyne were excellent in the second! It was a tight game throughout with a Dunboyne black card having a baring on the end result. On top of that Dunboyne were missing Liam Byrne who Captained the Meath 17s this year! Dunboyne had 5 of the 2000 lads on the Meath Minor squad this year. So - I think this game is going to really close - I think it could be the best game of the year! It is a pity though that Ratoath Under 17's had a hurling game on Saturday and that some of them also played with their 21 hurlers on Sunday! Odds on a draw???

Royalblufill (Meath) - Posts: 475 - 07/11/2017 13:10:00    2060982

Link

Replying To Royalblufill:  "Ratoath had 6 starters from this age group (5 from 2000 and 1 from 2001). Ratoath won the group game alright but I am not sure the scoreline flattered them. They were excellent in the first half and Dunboyne were excellent in the second! It was a tight game throughout with a Dunboyne black card having a baring on the end result. On top of that Dunboyne were missing Liam Byrne who Captained the Meath 17s this year! Dunboyne had 5 of the 2000 lads on the Meath Minor squad this year. So - I think this game is going to really close - I think it could be the best game of the year! It is a pity though that Ratoath Under 17's had a hurling game on Saturday and that some of them also played with their 21 hurlers on Sunday! Odds on a draw???"
Dunboyne should win this on paper with all their county lads
Can't understand why anyone says Ratoath are favorites, this is nonsense
Should be a great game

Drawmatch (Meath) - Posts: 19 - 07/11/2017 15:16:41    2061012

Link

Replying To Royalblufill:  "Ratoath had 6 starters from this age group (5 from 2000 and 1 from 2001). Ratoath won the group game alright but I am not sure the scoreline flattered them. They were excellent in the first half and Dunboyne were excellent in the second! It was a tight game throughout with a Dunboyne black card having a baring on the end result. On top of that Dunboyne were missing Liam Byrne who Captained the Meath 17s this year! Dunboyne had 5 of the 2000 lads on the Meath Minor squad this year. So - I think this game is going to really close - I think it could be the best game of the year! It is a pity though that Ratoath Under 17's had a hurling game on Saturday and that some of them also played with their 21 hurlers on Sunday! Odds on a draw???"
I wasn't at the minor final but I believe 8 under 17s played and they accounted for 1.11 out of 2.12. I may be wrong.
Think Byrne is still out.
If he's not it could be tight otherwise it's Ratoath's to loose.

Upforyourball (Meath) - Posts: 37 - 07/11/2017 15:38:43    2061015

Link

Replying To Upforyourball:  "I wasn't at the minor final but I believe 8 under 17s played and they accounted for 1.11 out of 2.12. I may be wrong.
If he's not it could be tight otherwise it's Ratoath's to loose."
Looking at the program Rogers, Dunne, Wyer, McGowan, Byrne and Newe (Under 16) started. Then Johnson and the younger Ahern came on in the second half for Byrne and Dunne - so I guess you are right 8 of them played although 6 at a time! There is no doubt they are a good group but as I said - Dunboyne had at least 5 if not 6 of their under 17's on the Meath Minor squad (and all went back to the 17's) whereas Ratoath only had 1 player on the Under 17 squad. Byrne would be a big loss - I had heard he was okay for tomorrow. One way or another I think this is going to be a really tight game and should be a cracker! Hopefully a big crowd will show up to support it! Not sure Dunganny is great for this type of game but I suppose at this time of the year with the need for lights etc... Roll on 7.30 tomorrow

Royalblufill (Meath) - Posts: 475 - 07/11/2017 16:34:36    2061031

Link

Replying To Drawmatch:  "Dunboyne should win this on paper with all their county lads
Can't understand why anyone says Ratoath are favorites, this is nonsense
Should be a great game"
Dunboyne haven't beaten Ratoath in this age group in the past 5 years or more.............expalin the nonsense in Ratoath being favourite??
It will be a tight game, but I'd say Ratoath by abou 4

ratlag (Meath) - Posts: 557 - 07/11/2017 16:50:02    2061036

Link

Replying To Upforyourball:  "I wasn't at the minor final but I believe 8 under 17s played and they accounted for 1.11 out of 2.12. I may be wrong.
If he's not it could be tight otherwise it's Ratoath's to loose."
In the past games involving Dunboyne and Ratoath have always been close affairs with only a point or two between them and a few draws in there also and regardless who plays tomorrow night or who doesn't it is sure to be a close match
I personally hope each team have their best players available and let them at it, in the last game of their juvenile careers for a lot of them
All in Dunboyne know they must be favorites for this and nothing bar a win is what they are thinking
For an U17 team to have 5 starting county minors on it, all of whom are touted as shoe in's for their club senior squad next year and with others on that team excelling, against a team with only one who was a sub, there surly can only be one outcome
Ratoath have had a good run but this must be the end of the road

Drawmatch (Meath) - Posts: 19 - 07/11/2017 17:01:40    2061041

Link

Replying To Drawmatch:  "Correct
Na Fianna are with out a doubt favorite
Way bigger and stronger and simply better"
Well if your last prediction is anything to go by...............

hilloftara (Meath) - Posts: 48 - 08/11/2017 10:22:18    2061152

Link

Replying To Drawmatch:  "In the past games involving Dunboyne and Ratoath have always been close affairs with only a point or two between them and a few draws in there also and regardless who plays tomorrow night or who doesn't it is sure to be a close match
I personally hope each team have their best players available and let them at it, in the last game of their juvenile careers for a lot of them
All in Dunboyne know they must be favorites for this and nothing bar a win is what they are thinking
For an U17 team to have 5 starting county minors on it, all of whom are touted as shoe in's for their club senior squad next year and with others on that team excelling, against a team with only one who was a sub, there surly can only be one outcome
Ratoath have had a good run but this must be the end of the road"
Fair play..... you're consistent if nothing else !!!

Upforyourball (Meath) - Posts: 37 - 08/11/2017 12:10:09    2061187

Link

Replying To ratlag:  "Dunboyne haven't beaten Ratoath in this age group in the past 5 years or more.............expalin the nonsense in Ratoath being favourite??
It will be a tight game, but I'd say Ratoath by abou 4"
Well ratlag - you were almost right in fairness! Ratoath blew dunboyne away in the second half - the subs they brought on made a huge difference and young McGowan was outstanding! Johnson too was excellent! Dunboyne didn't have anyonebat their level - they moved Liam byrne into full forward- I am guessing he was injured. I for one didn't see that margin of win coming. Fair play to Ratoath - unbeaten through the whole thing. I was told that not one of their players started in the 17s intercounty thing!

Royalblufill (Meath) - Posts: 475 - 09/11/2017 06:19:52    2061331

Link

Replying To Drawmatch:  "In the past games involving Dunboyne and Ratoath have always been close affairs with only a point or two between them and a few draws in there also and regardless who plays tomorrow night or who doesn't it is sure to be a close match
Ratoath have had a good run but this must be the end of the road"
I certainly hope your not a gambling man anyway!!!! Smashing result for Ratoath, their second half performance was exceptional, didn't let Dunboyne into it at all!!!

ratlag (Meath) - Posts: 557 - 09/11/2017 09:09:39    2061339

Link

Unfortunately couldn't make the final last night but it seemed like a devastating second half performance by Ratoath. 1-12 to 4 points in the second half after only leading 5 points to 4 at half time.
Maybe there was a good reason for it, but I just can't help but wonder why there was only one (as far as I can tell) Ratoath player on the Meath U17 squad this year (and that player never started as far as I can see). Similarly, only one Ratoath player on this year's minor team despite also ending up winning the championship.

Ratoath Royal (Meath) - Posts: 1362 - 09/11/2017 10:17:50    2061358

Link