Meath Forum

Meath v Sligo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Couldn't get to the game yesterday so I had the torturous task of listing it on the radio. So I will keep my optimistic hat on. Positives No D Tobin didn't play until the last minute not sure what the criac was there was he injured ? young Conlon Newman S Tobin seem to do well. But there is no way you could start Newman of Conlon just so where near match fit. You try start them but your putting massive pressure on them, so they would be more effective coming of the bench.
Its a great result when you think of it most people expected us to beat Silgo by 10 points personally I wasn't to sure ( but there again I taught we would beat kildare but 5 for 6 ) Kildare Kildare loss was real kick in the you know what. we where 3 down at half time and we grind ed out a result it was a first win since 2011 in the qualifiers. the best possible draw for me would a top seed Mayo or Donegal. Let see what we really made of. We would learn more about ourselves. Its a learning process this year. Delighted to be still in it. :)

bobkarlgees (Meath) - Posts: 1263 - 02/07/2017 11:09:10    2008826

Link

Replying To Royalio11:  "I'm convinced Graham Reilly is injured. He spent 60% of that game walking with hands on the hips with his head down.

Made 2 fine interventions and made some score's and took a few himself and I doubt Meath would have won if he wasn't there.

Systems or not, he is not the same player

As for leadership qualities..truly non existent.

For example, when the game was in the melting pot, Newman came on he was clapping and shouting and directing the play. He pulled the strings to get Meath attack from the back.

A very frustrating game, impossible to gain any real positive apart from that we are in the bowl for next week but I think it's only going to prolong the suffering.

I have never experienced such anger and frustration in a home crowd who definitely expected more a performance or bite from the Kildare game."
Wasn't at the game yesterday. But funny when Biggie plays below the standard he capable off , he was carrying a injury, or there was 3 people marking him ??? I dont remember many making the same excuses for Gilles or Geraghty etc.. And by the way Andy has not got from with playing guys there are not 100%

bobkarlgees (Meath) - Posts: 1263 - 02/07/2017 11:47:20    2008841

Link

Replying To noluso:  "Re G REILLY ...your rating of 7 !( showing leadership ) Can you recheck this ,as I suggest it makes all your other ratings look suspect . Can we assume you are from cilles ?"
No ,I'm a seneschalstown man ! I thought Graham was good yesterday ! Without him we wouldn't have won that game.

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 02/07/2017 11:51:52    2008844

Link

Replying To grahamc9897:  "Ratings...

1.O'Rourke (6) Few hairy moments...
2.Burke (8) great display
3.McGill (6) Looked Vunerable
4.Power (5) lack of discipline
5.Harnan (6) Did OK attacked well
6.Keoghan (7) Solid as usual
7.Mcentee (6) Not convinced
8.Jones (6) pity he went off did OK
9.Menton (6) Did OK
10.O'Coilean (6) never reached heights of last week
11.O'Sullivan (5) Bad day at the office
12.Mcentee (6) did OK kicked opening score
13.Reilly (7) did well showed leadership
14.Tobin (6) score 0-3 but was poor at tikes
15.Lenihan (6) Not his best day

Conlan (7) played his way onto the team next week
Toher (6) was meh..
Newman (6) a 6 because of short time on but he impressed and needed badly
Tobin (6) Did OK"
Can you give examples of the moments McGill looked vulnerable?

brownstownlad (Meath) - Posts: 88 - 02/07/2017 12:23:43    2008859

Link

Replying To noluso:  "Re G REILLY ...your rating of 7 !( showing leadership ) Can you recheck this ,as I suggest it makes all your other ratings look suspect . Can we assume you are from cilles ?"
reilly was not great but who was we would not have won without him. people on here gives it loads about reilly which is very unfair and not a word about our goal keeper .six goals in three games. what was he at in the end of the first half lost the ball nearly a another goal. if that went it that would have been it. this needs to be paddy o rourke last year on the meath team

meath1977 (Meath) - Posts: 534 - 02/07/2017 12:27:33    2008860

Link

Replying To OhtobeARossie:  "Really interesting
Rd what u think"
Well it seems to be a Connaught thing, from throw in Sligo went defensive, 15 in their own half so what was any team to do? Even most ulster sides have changed just doesn't seem to have caught on in west of shannon.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 02/07/2017 12:52:29    2008873

Link

Replying To nobull456:  "Replying to Royalio11.........Yes i thought at one point Graham may be injured, but then he sprinted for a ball at full pace, so i dismissed the injury notion.........Yes i saw the match exactly like you did .......he was not leading. Newman did that job when he came on"
Graham lead by example, as he has done for 90% of the year.
But sure that wont stop the biggie bashers or those with agendas.
A steward at half time wanted to drop Reilly, menton and lenihane from team altogether, and fire Andy McEntee, why? Cause he hasnt enough omahoneys players on Team. And wait .. the best part, mod was treated badly. After I laughed in his face he just walked away. Oh and another one said keoghan should still be capt, I explained to him that Donal had asked not to be capt as he had studies, again he was oblivious to this, so how ignorant are people That are actively involved in Meath GAA? Is it any wonder we fell so far?
And when in match the screams from auld lads of let it in instead of passing back , they wanted bal let into lenihane on his own with 7sligo lads around him. I actually got annoyed and turned around to old guy and asked what use would that be?the answer was if he was a good forward he would catch it. Catch and kick. I am old enough to remember very clearly when that was style of play, however that was pre internet, Mobil phones etc. Move on.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 02/07/2017 13:05:13    2008875

Link

Replying To Royalio11:  "I'm convinced Graham Reilly is injured. He spent 60% of that game walking with hands on the hips with his head down.

Made 2 fine interventions and made some score's and took a few himself and I doubt Meath would have won if he wasn't there.

Systems or not, he is not the same player

As for leadership qualities..truly non existent.

For example, when the game was in the melting pot, Newman came on he was clapping and shouting and directing the play. He pulled the strings to get Meath attack from the back.

A very frustrating game, impossible to gain any real positive apart from that we are in the bowl for next week but I think it's only going to prolong the suffering.

I have never experienced such anger and frustration in a home crowd who definitely expected more a performance or bite from the Kildare game."
Graham Reilly was not only leading yesterday. He lead by example.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 02/07/2017 13:06:13    2008876

Link

Happy to get the win, we need a winning mentality in championship and after awhile performances will come. We've talked about a lot of the negatives on here but there was also a number of positives.
1.) Newman's return. He looked sharp when he came on, he steadied the ship but he kicked 2 very important scores.
2.) Conlon & O Reilly impressing when they came on. We've brought through three u21's this year, that's more than we have done in recent years.
3.) Consistency from more players. Menton, Burke, Lenihan and Harnan are all starting to have good games back to back. Now none of them are all star performances but they aren't doing anything wrong.
4.) Work rate. Lads last night worked for each other, we had 2 or 3 Meath jerseys around a Sligo man when they had the ball, defending started from the full forward line and O Sullivan again ran the legs off himself when he didn't have the ball he hassled to win it back and when we did have it he always got into pockets of space and made himself available.

UsernameInvalid (Meath) - Posts: 355 - 02/07/2017 13:10:20    2008878

Link

Replying To grahamc9897:  "No ,I'm a seneschalstown man ! I thought Graham was good yesterday ! Without him we wouldn't have won that game."
Ahh but that dont suit those with agendas.
I might not agree with you often but ill give you one thing you call it as you see it.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 02/07/2017 13:23:08    2008884

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Graham lead by example, as he has done for 90% of the year.
But sure that wont stop the biggie bashers or those with agendas.
A steward at half time wanted to drop Reilly, menton and lenihane from team altogether, and fire Andy McEntee, why? Cause he hasnt enough omahoneys players on Team. And wait .. the best part, mod was treated badly. After I laughed in his face he just walked away. Oh and another one said keoghan should still be capt, I explained to him that Donal had asked not to be capt as he had studies, again he was oblivious to this, so how ignorant are people That are actively involved in Meath GAA? Is it any wonder we fell so far?
And when in match the screams from auld lads of let it in instead of passing back , they wanted bal let into lenihane on his own with 7sligo lads around him. I actually got annoyed and turned around to old guy and asked what use would that be?the answer was if he was a good forward he would catch it. Catch and kick. I am old enough to remember very clearly when that was style of play, however that was pre internet, Mobil phones etc. Move on."
Honest question RoyalDunne, why is it when someone gives their opinion (whether it's right or wrong) why do you, the majority of the time, get very offended by it. This steward was more than entitled to have his views on things and each and eMeath fan is entitled to their opinion regarding this current team.

RoylerKing (Meath) - Posts: 809 - 02/07/2017 13:31:02    2008889

Link

Replying To brownstownlad:  "Can you give examples of the moments McGill looked vulnerable?"
A few balls went in and he was caught out..Only going by my memory of the gane so to give example's of things would be difficult...People keep questioning my ratings, obviously I'm just having a go ..no other post has given any ratings ! So why dont other people including yourself give me yours and your examples ,

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 02/07/2017 13:31:06    2008890

Link

Replying To meath1977:  "reilly was not great but who was we would not have won without him. people on here gives it loads about reilly which is very unfair and not a word about our goal keeper .six goals in three games. what was he at in the end of the first half lost the ball nearly a another goal. if that went it that would have been it. this needs to be paddy o rourke last year on the meath team"
Who replaces him ?? Don't say The simonstown lad ,Andy has dropped him so he obviously doesn't rate him ,

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 02/07/2017 13:32:55    2008892

Link

Replying To grahamc9897:  "Who replaces him ?? Don't say The simonstown lad ,Andy has dropped him so he obviously doesn't rate him ,"
we have to have to good goal keepers in meath. I not going to knock the lad but paddy is not right for the meath team

meath1977 (Meath) - Posts: 534 - 02/07/2017 13:50:16    2008902

Link

Replying To grahamc9897:  "A few balls went in and he was caught out..Only going by my memory of the gane so to give example's of things would be difficult...People keep questioning my ratings, obviously I'm just having a go ..no other post has given any ratings ! So why dont other people including yourself give me yours and your examples ,"
I appreciate your ratings are only an opinion but in fairness to the man, he was comfortable at most stages throughout the game.

brownstownlad (Meath) - Posts: 88 - 02/07/2017 13:54:05    2008907

Link

Replying To RoylerKing:  "Honest question RoyalDunne, why is it when someone gives their opinion (whether it's right or wrong) why do you, the majority of the time, get very offended by it. This steward was more than entitled to have his views on things and each and eMeath fan is entitled to their opinion regarding this current team."
I dont want to get into.this again. But the only way mod was treated badly was by ever been appointed. He had 4 years in that job and its probably fair enough to say he brought them.backwards on each consecutive year. Culminating in the lowest ever point in Meath football and loosing to Westmeath for first time in 130 years.
To say he was treated badly, and Andy McEntee should be fired for not havin more omahoneys lads on team. No one in their right mind could agree with his sentiments, he was purely putting his club ahead of county

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 02/07/2017 13:54:32    2008908

Link

Replying To meath1977:  "we have to have to good goal keepers in meath. I not going to knock the lad but paddy is not right for the meath team"
" We have to have good goalkeepers In Meath " ..Seriously that's your answer ! Do your homework before you call for a goalkeeper to be dropped !!

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 02/07/2017 13:58:37    2008910

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Ahh but that dont suit those with agendas.
I might not agree with you often but ill give you one thing you call it as you see it."
I was very critical of Graham the last day and in fact I went too far and I will admit that ! He was poor but people have off days simple as ! He was good yesterday we wouldn't have won that game without him.He is a leader and we would be far worse off without him

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 02/07/2017 14:02:26    2008912

Link

Replying To grahamc9897:  "" We have to have good goalkeepers In Meath " ..Seriously that's your answer ! Do your homework before you call for a goalkeeper to be dropped !!"
open your eyes when you are at games . six goals in three games. last year against Derry. West meath in 2015 . cavan in the league . don't tell in to do my homework I have not missed a meath match in 30 years. I don't live in meath I don't be at club games. we have and had major problems with the goal keepers position this last four years. Joe sub goal keeper dont make me laugh. if we don't have two good goal keepers in meath we may give up. if Andy is serious about this job he need to sort the goal keepers problem.

meath1977 (Meath) - Posts: 534 - 02/07/2017 14:08:53    2008913

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "I dont want to get into.this again. But the only way mod was treated badly was by ever been appointed. He had 4 years in that job and its probably fair enough to say he brought them.backwards on each consecutive year. Culminating in the lowest ever point in Meath football and loosing to Westmeath for first time in 130 years.
To say he was treated badly, and Andy McEntee should be fired for not havin more omahoneys lads on team. No one in their right mind could agree with his sentiments, he was purely putting his club ahead of county"
You need to let the whole MOD thing go boss...

It cannot be good for your health! Let's talk about the future - not the past!

bert09 (Meath) - Posts: 1790 - 02/07/2017 14:10:44    2008915

Link