Meath Forum

Meath v Sligo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Ok to look at it this way we changed our style and to do that it difficult and it won't click overnight. It does however need to be done. We need to be right at the back and keep teams from getting leads on us. People should accept that it would be a huge bonus to pass the next round and that this really is only the start of a 3 year process. Lads are going to have to learn the system bit one thing that we need is a dependable free taker.

Foley91 (Meath) - Posts: 418 - 01/07/2017 22:20:18    2008623

Link

Replying To nobull456:  "Overall very poor performance against a team low down the ratings.....Confidence amongst team seems very low. Far too slow moving forward on attack because forwards not using space to make themselves available. Based on championship so far no progress in last 2 years .Same old story what can be done by ANY manager without the raw material? What can the jockey do without the horse? No leader on the field when it matters, although Newman lead by example when he came on. Has to be a certain starter to lead the attack. Impressed also with Conlon { another certain starter.} Dont know why Power was taken off. I would give him another go at 6.whilst trying Conlon at midfield with Jones if fit.Menton at 7. Mickey Burke a certain starter . Lenihan to start also . Not sure about OCoileann. Pass on Reilly because of his inconsistency .He CAN be good but not reliable as a captain.Andy couldnot be a happy camper either. I believe he is the man who says it as he sees it. If he reads here he will understand if some posters on here do likewise..In fairness he does not deal in mickey mouse excuses to his credit."
Sorry have to pull you up on that one biggie lead by example today, bellowing out instructions when game was tied and in melting pot. Trust me I watched him very closely and for his captaincy roll its A+ today. On leadership.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 01/07/2017 22:20:20    2008624

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Where do I start ?
First of graham Reilly had a decent game if not shooting out the lights, counted at least 4 times he was in backline hassling Sligo players and turning ball over, including on one occasion last man back. Got two nice points and won a couple of frees. However the temper needs to stay sealed in, lost on ball and picked up a needless yellow, then after been taken out of it it a shocking tackle that could have ended his and Sligo players year, got up and went straight for him, I honestly thought he was going to take head off him only for lenihane to restrain him. I know the amount of attention he gets but he needs to channel That aggression in a positive way, we cant lose him to a red.
The other players, ? That's 3 games running cos has made error after error with ball, needs to be sorted, jones looked all more comfortable before knock, menton did very well, keoghan was ok, but not near as good as he is capable of . Brilliant to see Newman returning and will start next day I would say.
But player of the championship so far is micky burke, honestly he really has turned back the years, and if I'm honest first name on team sheet next day.
We in next round, I'm hopeful, look Longford had Donegal on ropes for 60 mins and Derry should have beat mayo. We destroyed Derry in league and Clare too. Think positive we have a lot to improve on, but i think we will
And huge congratulations to the Sligo support, nicer bunch of people you couldn't hope to meet all in all while disappointed with quite a bit of performance in happy with the win.
Roll on Monday.
Hon the Royal"
Royaldunne just a question you seem very positive after that game ! Do you not agree that there was a lot of holes in that performance ! Sligo were terrible and should have been hammered ! You are correct in saying biggy was good I thought he showed leadership today !

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 01/07/2017 22:22:02    2008626

Link

for a long time i have said that cillian is better as a wing forward,only problem is,who do we play centre forward?

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 01/07/2017 22:25:25    2008628

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "pushing up in the last 10mins or so won us the game."
Yeah I said it changed after 45 to 50 mins but why was that not the instruction if not from the start then at least after time? Surely we are good enough to go man on man against Sligo. The keeper kicked one ball over the line and seemed like he didn't know what to do when there was no short option.

Barney123 (Meath) - Posts: 676 - 01/07/2017 22:25:46    2008629

Link

Donnacha Tobin and Brian Conlon have every right to be disgusted that they didn't start in the half back line. Has to change before it's too late.

MarkMyWords (Meath) - Posts: 498 - 01/07/2017 22:28:24    2008632

Link

there is a major lack of confidence in the team. playing in navan seem to have been a added pressure on the team in when it should have been a help. supporters are getting frustrated with the team and it is comeing across.maybe a win date with mayo or Donegal where we could play with freedom and we would have nothing to lose . clare away would be difficult since the league game we have gone back and they have improved

meath1977 (Meath) - Posts: 534 - 01/07/2017 22:29:11    2008634

Link

there is a major lack of confidence in the team. playing in navan seem to have been a added pressure on the team in when it should have been a help. supporters are getting frustrated with the team and it is comeing across.maybe a away date with mayo or Donegal where we could play with freedom and we would have nothing to lose . clare away would be difficult since the league game we have gone back and they have improved

meath1977 (Meath) - Posts: 534 - 01/07/2017 22:29:57    2008635

Link

anyone know what happened jones?

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 01/07/2017 22:31:57    2008636

Link

Shane McEntee tends to be the player doing most of the attacking (ball carrying, running game) down the left wing. If COS was playing wing forward at #10, I'm sure they would link up well and he would have more free space in front of him. Graham Reilly would probably play best at #12, but with no obvious stand out player at #11 (CHF), and no Seamus Kenny like player to win dirty ball around midfield, that half-forward line offers nothing defensively, it is pretty much all out attack, when both the midfield and half back line need a helping hand in the modern game. Meath cannot play blanket defence well. Too many players get behind the ball for the sake of it and without actually tackling very well, while the scores dry up at the other end when they have not enough attacking players (far enough forward or inside) to build a counter attack that can yield scores consistently throughout a game.

GlasagusOr (Meath) - Posts: 1348 - 01/07/2017 22:34:09    2008638

Link

Power had to be taken off. He was only one foul away from a red card had he started the second half. This was always going to be a tight game and Andy simply could not take the chance of finishing the game with 14 players.

GlasagusOr (Meath) - Posts: 1348 - 01/07/2017 22:37:52    2008640

Link

P o r
Keoghan mc gill burke (stop knocking him gives you everything )
Tobin (mcentee ) kept giving the ball away some terrible passes power harnan
Menton (our only midfielder) jones
O sullivan lenihan biggy
Newman tobin o reilly just take osullivan out of 11 think lenihan plays there for club tobin is slow but tries hard and can score from distance open to changes for me mickey burke would be captain for heart and effort alone

matthematx (Meath) - Posts: 177 - 01/07/2017 22:53:21    2008646

Link

Replying To GlasagusOr:  "Power had to be taken off. He was only one foul away from a red card had he started the second half. This was always going to be a tight game and Andy simply could not take the chance of finishing the game with 14 players."
Correct ! Right decision

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 01/07/2017 23:22:08    2008655

Link

Replying To matthematx:  "P o r
Keoghan mc gill burke (stop knocking him gives you everything )
Tobin (mcentee ) kept giving the ball away some terrible passes power harnan
Menton (our only midfielder) jones
O sullivan lenihan biggy
Newman tobin o reilly just take osullivan out of 11 think lenihan plays there for club tobin tries hard and can score from distance open to changes for me mickey burke would be captain for heart and effort alone"
6 forwards are

Mcentee
O'Sullivan
Biggy
O'Coilean
Newman
Lenihan

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 01/07/2017 23:25:49    2008660

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Where do I start ?
First of graham Reilly had a decent game if not shooting out the lights, counted at least 4 times he was in backline hassling Sligo players and turning ball over, including on one occasion last man back. Got two nice points and won a couple of frees. However the temper needs to stay sealed in, lost on ball and picked up a needless yellow, then after been taken out of it it a shocking tackle that could have ended his and Sligo players year, got up and went straight for him, I honestly thought he was going to take head off him only for lenihane to restrain him. I know the amount of attention he gets but he needs to channel That aggression in a positive way, we cant lose him to a red.
The other players, ? That's 3 games running cos has made error after error with ball, needs to be sorted, jones looked all more comfortable before knock, menton did very well, keoghan was ok, but not near as good as he is capable of . Brilliant to see Newman returning and will start next day I would say.
But player of the championship so far is micky burke, honestly he really has turned back the years, and if I'm honest first name on team sheet next day.
We in next round, I'm hopeful, look Longford had Donegal on ropes for 60 mins and Derry should have beat mayo. We destroyed Derry in league and Clare too. Think positive we have a lot to improve on, but i think we will
And huge congratulations to the Sligo support, nicer bunch of people you couldn't hope to meet all in all while disappointed with quite a bit of performance in happy with the win.
Roll on Monday.
Hon the Royal"
Team for next day
POR
D Keoghan
CMc Gill
M ickey B.
P Harnan
B Power
B Menton
Conlon
Jones
COS
M Newman
G Reilly
O Coileann
S Tobin
D Lenihan
Subs......S Mc Entee, J Mc Entee,T. O Reilly.D Tobin, J Toher ....sub goalie...J Sheridan
Unless dramatic improvement in confidence, belief, determination and true grit in team wont matter who plays or plays where really .Massive task regardless of who we draw from here. All depends on approach to next match....Correct mental attitude..... of course we can win it.

nobull456 (Meath) - Posts: 1209 - 01/07/2017 23:27:53    2008661

Link

POR

Keogan
Mcgill
Burke

Tobin
Power
O Coileann

Jones
Menton

O Sullivan
Harnan
J McEntee

Lenihan
Newman
Reilly

It leaves us with E. Wallace, S McEntee, Conlon, Toher, S Tobin and T O Reilly to come in

Simple cant keep COS as 11, he is turning the ball over too often, but no one can deny he has ability and his form will turn soon. Given our current style of play I would select O Coillean here knowing he can get forward.

Thejoeshow (Meath) - Posts: 687 - 01/07/2017 23:42:41    2008670

Link

Por 5 unsure under high ball,
All backs 6 apart from Burke who was 8

RJ 7 when on
Menton 7

Mcentee 6, cos 4, toher 5
Lenihan 5, tobin 7, graham Reilly 6

cabbage (Meath) - Posts: 162 - 01/07/2017 23:48:37    2008678

Link

Hey not the best performance this but we got over the line and hopefully that game will bring us on an restore some confidence after the Kildare match and all we can do is give it a go and sees what happens I don't care who we draw just hope for a home tie but a road trip would good craic so my team for next week.

1.P.Rourke
2.M.Burke ( fair play the chap has proven me wrong).
3.C.McGill
4.D.Keogan
5.P.Harnan
6.B.Conlon
7.D.Tobin/S.McEntee (if my doubts about him)
8.B.Menton
9.R.Jones
10.J.McEntee
11.M.Newman ( to link the play)
12.G.Reilly
13.C.O'Sulivan
14.S.Tobin
15.D.Lenhian

Foreveraroyal (Meath) - Posts: 34 - 02/07/2017 00:07:47    2008687

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Sorry have to pull you up on that one biggie lead by example today, bellowing out instructions when game was tied and in melting pot. Trust me I watched him very closely and for his captaincy roll its A+ today. On leadership."
Royaldunne.......i was in navan too. i know Graham CAN be very good at times .He was good at times to day scored ...yes he helped out on 1 occasion on our full back line.I also saw him stroll up looking at the ground for 30 yards without lifting his head [on the stand side] whilst we were attacking the hospital goal.from midfield. Now he is the captain.....I saw Newman rallying the troops when he came on. He played a captains role for the few minutes because he lifted the team. Mickey Burke always gives it everything anyway. I expect a captain to be like Mickey Burke even allowing for his mistakes. Of course Graham is a better athlete more accurate etc. Use his strenghts as a winger speed accuracy and good to take passes . Do him a favour let him free to use his skills..Maybe Andy may focuss on freeing him from captaincy to let nim concentrate on his own game. I certainly would have him on the team but not as captain.The team is more important than any one individual. Graham is a footballer with sublime skills at times. However i just cant see him as a leader.

nobull456 (Meath) - Posts: 1209 - 02/07/2017 00:33:54    2008701

Link

Mayo, donegal or clare. Don't mind who we get as all 3 will be serious tests. I just hope it's at home. I don't think either of the 3 would want to play it in navan.

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 2920 - 02/07/2017 02:47:25    2008732

Link