Meath Forum

Meath v Sligo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I asked this few months ago can someone' please tell me our game plan style of play. I'm lost.

Reco (Meath) - Posts: 419 - 01/07/2017 21:10:23    2008549

Link

Replying To Barney123:  "What did mickey burke do wrong to be dropped?"
Fair point maybe drop Tobin or power to play him !

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 01/07/2017 21:14:16    2008553

Link

Replying To Reco:  "I asked this few months ago can someone' please tell me our game plan style of play. I'm lost."
15 men behind the ball ! Handpass
handpass hand pass !!

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 01/07/2017 21:16:30    2008555

Link

Replying To Reco:  "I asked this few months ago can someone' please tell me our game plan style of play. I'm lost."
Defensive, tika taka style with two man/one man inside targets.

bert09 (Meath) - Posts: 1790 - 01/07/2017 21:28:20    2008571

Link

Replying To royalfollower:  "Well it was as ugly a meath performance as I've ever seen but we got the win in the end which is all that matters. Important for this team to be able to grind out a result in game like that.

Burke for me was man of the match never put a foot wrong led by example the whole way through. Conlon was very impressive and has to start next week. Newman also very good brought a bit of composure to the team at time it was needed. In fairness to biggy who takes a lot of stick. He really stood up today when we needed him. Ronan Jones was a huge loss he started the game brilliantly winning the ball in midfield and kicking a great point.

Major improvement needed next week but have a feeling we have one big performance in us. Roll on next week hopefully another home game. Hon The Royals"
Unfortunetely the level of improvement required can't possibly be made up in a week. That was one of the most disjointed...error ridden...clueless performance I've seen in a long time. Conlon was good and should start

southmeathgael (Meath) - Posts: 887 - 01/07/2017 21:41:33    2008586

Link

I was watching the Mayo and Derry match so only got the last few mins on LMFM. Sligo nearly got a draw near the end. Congrats to Meath. A win is a win. So am I right in saying Meath could get Donegal, Mayo or Clare in the next round of the qualifiers? Three counties from three different provinces. Meath have a good championship record against Mayo, with Donegal its even steven with one win each and Clare they have never faced before. Who ever they get it's gonna be an interesting match.

OLLIE (Louth) - Posts: 12224 - 01/07/2017 21:42:34    2008588

Link

Our style seems to have changed, I remember in some of the league games we pushed right up on the other team to make it harder for them to play out from the back. For 45 to 50 mins today we seemed happy to concede the kick out and let them build up, why was that the plan when Menton would have at least if not more than a 50/50 chance of winning their kickouts if they went long?

Barney123 (Meath) - Posts: 676 - 01/07/2017 21:42:36    2008589

Link

have to say that was awful and it feels more like a loss. I am fully behind the manger but he will have to take a another look at what he is trying to do. please take cos out of centre forward one of the most important positions on the team and he is lost there. we never looked like getting a goal and gave away one and sligo could have another one in last play

meath1977 (Meath) - Posts: 534 - 01/07/2017 21:44:33    2008590

Link

Replying To OLLIE:  "I was watching the Mayo and Derry match so only got the last few mins on LMFM. Sligo nearly got a draw near the end. Congrats to Meath. A win is a win. So am I right in saying Meath could get Donegal, Mayo or Clare in the next round of the qualifiers? Three counties from three different provinces. Meath have a good championship record against Mayo, with Donegal its even steven with one win each and Clare they have never faced before. Who ever they get it's gonna be an interesting match."
No easy game there, best we can hope for is another home draw

seadog54 (Meath) - Posts: 2141 - 01/07/2017 21:46:25    2008592

Link

Replying To grahamc9897:  "Team for next day

1.Paddy O'Rourke
2.Keoghan
3.McGill
4.Power
5.Harnan
6.Conlan
7.Tobin
8.Menton
9.Jones if fit or Toher
10.James McEntee
11.O'Sullivan
12.Reilly
13.O'Coilean
14.Newman
15.Lenihan"
Mickey burke was one of if not our best player made a burst up the field in the 73 minute and you drop him dont know what game you wer at

matthematx (Meath) - Posts: 177 - 01/07/2017 21:46:50    2008593

Link

Replying To grahamc9897:  "Team for next day

1.Paddy O'Rourke
2.Keoghan
3.McGill
4.Power
5.Harnan
6.Conlan
7.Tobin
8.Menton
9.Jones if fit or Toher
10.James McEntee
11.O'Sullivan
12.Reilly
13.O'Coilean
14.Newman
15.Lenihan"
What's your issue with Burke? You constantly omit him from team selections yet he hasn't put a foot wrong in the championship.
He was one of a handful who put in a shift v kildare and was probably our best player tonight.

Jinxie (Meath) - Posts: 6342 - 01/07/2017 21:55:27    2008595

Link

Replying To royalfollower:  "Well it was as ugly a meath performance as I've ever seen but we got the win in the end which is all that matters. Important for this team to be able to grind out a result in game like that.

Burke for me was man of the match never put a foot wrong led by example the whole way through. Conlon was very impressive and has to start next week. Newman also very good brought a bit of composure to the team at time it was needed. In fairness to biggy who takes a lot of stick. He really stood up today when we needed him. Ronan Jones was a huge loss he started the game brilliantly winning the ball in midfield and kicking a great point.

Major improvement needed next week but have a feeling we have one big performance in us. Roll on next week hopefully another home game. Hon The Royals"
Burke great going forward but still too loose and his man was able to get yards on him. At a crucial stage of the 2nd half his man left him for dead but fell. Still big problems in defence, McGill too easily turned.

I would also like to say hard luck to Sligo, kept at it and were in it untile the death. I thought that Meath would pull away in the 2nd half with he wind.

I agree with the above ref conlon & Newman. Both should start the next day. Jones a little unlucky to get the injury so early on.

oldsam_newsam (Meath) - Posts: 638 - 01/07/2017 21:57:08    2008598

Link

Replying To Barney123:  "Our style seems to have changed, I remember in some of the league games we pushed right up on the other team to make it harder for them to play out from the back. For 45 to 50 mins today we seemed happy to concede the kick out and let them build up, why was that the plan when Menton would have at least if not more than a 50/50 chance of winning their kickouts if they went long?"
pushing up in the last 10mins or so won us the game.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 01/07/2017 21:58:28    2008599

Link

Earth to Andy mcentee - Mickey Newman is the second best forward in Meath... PLAY HIM!!!

redser123 (Meath) - Posts: 402 - 01/07/2017 21:58:42    2008600

Link

Replying To meath1977:  "have to say that was awful and it feels more like a loss. I am fully behind the manger but he will have to take a another look at what he is trying to do. please take cos out of centre forward one of the most important positions on the team and he is lost there. we never looked like getting a goal and gave away one and sligo could have another one in last play"
Have to agree o sullivan has something to offer with his pace and scored a great point on the run from distance but does drop the ball or loss it far to often id put him and biggy on the wings cf is very important dont know who to put in there opions are limited .not enough player playing well bar 5 or 6 you could change the rest after that display lenihan was good the last day and poor today r o c came on the last day did well but today game passed him by and power was lucky not to be sent off

matthematx (Meath) - Posts: 177 - 01/07/2017 21:58:59    2008602

Link

That was awful stuff. We're playing with a blanket defence but playing it really badly. I and many others were critical of Graham Reilly after the kildare game. In reality it's this style of play that's preventing him from getting in the ball. Nobody supporting when we get forward, ball handling is terrible. Sligo were adopting the same tactics so as a neutral this was some puke to watch I'm sure. Only positive is that we actually won a tight game which could have went either way. Still no goal in the championship yet either.

Royalace (Meath) - Posts: 121 - 01/07/2017 22:00:54    2008606

Link

Replying To meath1977:  "have to say that was awful and it feels more like a loss. I am fully behind the manger but he will have to take a another look at what he is trying to do. please take cos out of centre forward one of the most important positions on the team and he is lost there. we never looked like getting a goal and gave away one and sligo could have another one in last play"
Agreed about Cillian. Very poor versus Kildare and tonight. Maybe he would be effective in the corner coming out.

oldsam_newsam (Meath) - Posts: 638 - 01/07/2017 22:02:27    2008607

Link

Overall very poor performance against a team low down the ratings.....Confidence amongst team seems very low. Far too slow moving forward on attack because forwards not using space to make themselves available. Based on championship so far no progress in last 2 years .Same old story what can be done by ANY manager without the raw material? What can the jockey do without the horse? No leader on the field when it matters, although Newman lead by example when he came on. Has to be a certain starter to lead the attack. Impressed also with Conlon { another certain starter.} Dont know why Power was taken off. I would give him another go at 6.whilst trying Conlon at midfield with Jones if fit.Menton at 7. Mickey Burke a certain starter . Lenihan to start also . Not sure about OCoileann. Pass on Reilly because of his inconsistency .He CAN be good but not reliable as a captain.Andy couldnot be a happy camper either. I believe he is the man who says it as he sees it. If he reads here he will understand if some posters on here do likewise..In fairness he does not deal in mickey mouse excuses to his credit.

nobull456 (Meath) - Posts: 1221 - 01/07/2017 22:06:28    2008611

Link

Where do I start ?
First of graham Reilly had a decent game if not shooting out the lights, counted at least 4 times he was in backline hassling Sligo players and turning ball over, including on one occasion last man back. Got two nice points and won a couple of frees. However the temper needs to stay sealed in, lost on ball and picked up a needless yellow, then after been taken out of it it a shocking tackle that could have ended his and Sligo players year, got up and went straight for him, I honestly thought he was going to take head off him only for lenihane to restrain him. I know the amount of attention he gets but he needs to channel That aggression in a positive way, we cant lose him to a red.
The other players, ? That's 3 games running cos has made error after error with ball, needs to be sorted, jones looked all more comfortable before knock, menton did very well, keoghan was ok, but not near as good as he is capable of . Brilliant to see Newman returning and will start next day I would say.
But player of the championship so far is micky burke, honestly he really has turned back the years, and if I'm honest first name on team sheet next day.
We in next round, I'm hopeful, look Longford had Donegal on ropes for 60 mins and Derry should have beat mayo. We destroyed Derry in league and Clare too. Think positive we have a lot to improve on, but i think we will
And huge congratulations to the Sligo support, nicer bunch of people you couldn't hope to meet all in all while disappointed with quite a bit of performance in happy with the win.
Roll on Monday.
Hon the Royal

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 01/07/2017 22:10:02    2008614

Link

Replying To matthematx:  "Have to agree o sullivan has something to offer with his pace and scored a great point on the run from distance but does drop the ball or loss it far to often id put him and biggy on the wings cf is very important dont know who to put in there opions are limited .not enough player playing well bar 5 or 6 you could change the rest after that display lenihan was good the last day and poor today r o c came on the last day did well but today game passed him by and power was lucky not to be sent off"
Harnan could do a job at centre forward

bert09 (Meath) - Posts: 1790 - 01/07/2017 22:18:13    2008618

Link