Meath Forum

Meath v Sligo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Htaem:  "Well I do agree there ziggy Keogan is needed back in the corner and isn't as influential at 6 but sometimes he has to fill in there when we're short, although Power is back fit now isn't he?"
he is yes and the filling in thing is a problem for us at the back. honestly think until we get players in their best positions in the backline we may struggle. thought harnan did well at 6 last year too.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 30/06/2017 18:18:41    2008101

Link

Replying To subzero:  "I would say Menton himself would prefer to play CB or anywhere on the half back line for that matter. It is not his fault that he is shoring up midfield when there are no better options (name 2 better options for midfield). If he had a good fielder of the ball in midfield with him he would be much more effective as he is very good going forward and tracking back, probably has the best work rate in the whole team. Donnacha Tobin is out of position at corner back but I don't think he would be strong enough in the air for midfield. Not sure if Flanagan has anything to offer, he is a good fielder but not very mobile. Harry Rooney if he comes back next year may be an option."
agree 100% with all of this.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 30/06/2017 18:21:23    2008104

Link

Replying To ratlag:  "Burke played Centre back the last day not Corner back and had a very good game in my opinion considering how bad we were!! Personally I'd rather see Tobin swap with Keoghan!! Or else slip Harnan in Centre Back, Tobin Wing Back (his best opinion in my opinion) and Keoghan back in the corner again!!"
Yeah there were changes but that was after tobin was cleaned out burke in fairness gives it everything and yeah i would like to see tobin as halfback keoghan has to play corner back he is our best defender

matthematx (Meath) - Posts: 177 - 30/06/2017 19:24:32    2008115

Link

No real surprises in team, McMahon injured so was not going to play, Wallace has had a bad year and this was on the cards.
I mean if we going on last day only certain starters would be Burke, menton and O'Sullivan, other 12 could be dropped.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 30/06/2017 19:31:53    2008118

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "No real surprises in team, McMahon injured so was not going to play, Wallace has had a bad year and this was on the cards.
I mean if we going on last day only certain starters would be Burke, menton and O'Sullivan, other 12 could be dropped."
Jones was good v Louth, same for toher.
Andy has a habit of letting lads redeem themselves. One shocker from anyone should not end you season.
There is plenty on bench waiting to jump on.
I feel very confident of one serious backlash.
Would anyone be tipping Sligo against cork or Galway? Even Clare ?
One bad performance does not define any team or any player. Roll on tomorrow night and a performance to be proud of, and who.knows from there, we are certainly better than Kildare performance, we all know that.
Hon the Royal

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 30/06/2017 19:53:08    2008123

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Jones was good v Louth, same for toher.
Andy has a habit of letting lads redeem themselves. One shocker from anyone should not end you season.
There is plenty on bench waiting to jump on.
I feel very confident of one serious backlash.
Would anyone be tipping Sligo against cork or Galway? Even Clare ?
One bad performance does not define any team or any player. Roll on tomorrow night and a performance to be proud of, and who.knows from there, we are certainly better than Kildare performance, we all know that.
Hon the Royal"
RD Yes fair enough! But the chips are really down now for all concerned . No excuses . Line in the sand. Teamwork and Team Spirit NOW or we go nowhere. Another Kildare like fiasco and I imagine Andy will ask himself serious questions. However i expect a good win yielding high optimism ...........again!!!!

nobull456 (Meath) - Posts: 1211 - 30/06/2017 20:29:23    2008135

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "No real surprises in team, McMahon injured so was not going to play, Wallace has had a bad year and this was on the cards.
I mean if we going on last day only certain starters would be Burke, menton and O'Sullivan, other 12 could be dropped."
If Lenihan isn't on that list you're crackers.

dunboynelad (Meath) - Posts: 227 - 30/06/2017 20:30:16    2008136

Link

Working with what is starting, I would go with.
O'Rourke
Keogan McGill Burke
McEntee Harnan Tobin

bobkarlgees (Meath) - Posts: 1263 - 30/06/2017 20:34:06    2008137

Link

On a general point, my hope tomorrow is we get behind the team, confident they'll look after the rest. I'd rather any moaners stay at home, instead of being our own worse enemy and beating ourselves.

This forum is like a convention of bipolars, I can never figure out if we have two extremes or whether people just do this to suit a bizarre agenda. Give me the optimistic bunch any day regardless. Whilst I never thought we were going to win Leinster when we were going well in the league, I never bided my time til I could say I told you so. I can never get my head around this attitude.

As a supporter, on the day I have never gone to a game in my life not expecting a win, unrealistic it may be, that is how fans think. When inevitably we lose I deal with it, such is sport, but one thing I cannot deal with is remarks from our own reminding us at every opportunity of our shortcomings and seemingly relishing in it.
All year round I look forward to days like tomorrow, we don't have many these days. Give your support for 70 minutes, and if you must, keep your opinion for the pub after.

We have the best management available, I wouldn't swap them for anyone. Bar injuries we have the best player's available to us too. They put everything in to this. They will meet their match on days, like Tullamore, but that's football.

When biggie makes a mistake, spare us the usual sh*te. He is clearly a confidence player and his life is Meath football. 7 from play every week is not realistic, victim of your own success springs to mind.
If Jones does not have young player of the year sown up tomorrow, ask yourself why we place such ridiculous expectation on young lads thrown in at the deep end and wonder what moaning will do to anyone's confidence, same for anyone else that has been scapegoated for the last day.
If you don't agree with a change or tactic, remind yourself why he is manager and we're in the stands, and be sure he sure he does his homework, and by another 100 times over more, than this entire fans forum combined, he's taken leave from work for days like tomorrow for Christ sake.
When Sligo get a run against us, save the moans and groans, have faith we will overcome it and support the team, we are a better team I have no doubt so we do our end of things we will be fine but no one expects it to be easy.

Get behind the team tomorrow, this year is nowhere near over yet.

dunboynelad (Meath) - Posts: 227 - 30/06/2017 21:03:43    2008148

Link

Replying To bobkarlgees:  "Working with what is starting, I would go with.
O'Rourke
Keogan McGill Burke
McEntee Harnan Tobin"
yeah that looks better balanced without doubt.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 30/06/2017 21:28:38    2008160

Link

Replying To dunboynelad:  "On a general point, my hope tomorrow is we get behind the team, confident they'll look after the rest. I'd rather any moaners stay at home, instead of being our own worse enemy and beating ourselves.

This forum is like a convention of bipolars, I can never figure out if we have two extremes or whether people just do this to suit a bizarre agenda. Give me the optimistic bunch any day regardless. Whilst I never thought we were going to win Leinster when we were going well in the league, I never bided my time til I could say I told you so. I can never get my head around this attitude.

As a supporter, on the day I have never gone to a game in my life not expecting a win, unrealistic it may be, that is how fans think. When inevitably we lose I deal with it, such is sport, but one thing I cannot deal with is remarks from our own reminding us at every opportunity of our shortcomings and seemingly relishing in it.
All year round I look forward to days like tomorrow, we don't have many these days. Give your support for 70 minutes, and if you must, keep your opinion for the pub after.

We have the best management available, I wouldn't swap them for anyone. Bar injuries we have the best player's available to us too. They put everything in to this. They will meet their match on days, like Tullamore, but that's football.

When biggie makes a mistake, spare us the usual sh*te. He is clearly a confidence player and his life is Meath football. 7 from play every week is not realistic, victim of your own success springs to mind.
If Jones does not have young player of the year sown up tomorrow, ask yourself why we place such ridiculous expectation on young lads thrown in at the deep end and wonder what moaning will do to anyone's confidence, same for anyone else that has been scapegoated for the last day.
If you don't agree with a change or tactic, remind yourself why he is manager and we're in the stands, and be sure he sure he does his homework, and by another 100 times over more, than this entire fans forum combined, he's taken leave from work for days like tomorrow for Christ sake.
When Sligo get a run against us, save the moans and groans, have faith we will overcome it and support the team, we are a better team I have no doubt so we do our end of things we will be fine but no one expects it to be easy.

Get behind the team tomorrow, this year is nowhere near over yet."
Brilliant post!

bert09 (Meath) - Posts: 1790 - 30/06/2017 21:29:20    2008162

Link

Replying To dunboynelad:  "On a general point, my hope tomorrow is we get behind the team, confident they'll look after the rest. I'd rather any moaners stay at home, instead of being our own worse enemy and beating ourselves.

Well said sir, looking forward to tomorrow evening immensely, even made the trip down a day in advance and popped in for a new polo shirt in Jacksies on the way through Navan. Hope all supporters get out to Pairc Tailteann tomorrow as our support is an important element in this teams development, we should never forget that.

Richieq (Meath) - Posts: 3734 - 30/06/2017 21:33:23    2008166

Link

Replying To dunboynelad:  "If Lenihan isn't on that list you're crackers."
Ok ill put lenihane on then. Still 11 could be dropped:).
The point I was making was one bad day does not mean instant dropping. Some very fickle Meath people around.
As you said get behind Andy graham and team, for what could yet be a productive year.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 30/06/2017 21:37:00    2008170

Link

Excellent post.
1 million percent agree with you.
I have never gone to a game expecting to be beat either.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 30/06/2017 21:41:24    2008175

Link

Btw that is a excellent post. Absolutely spot on. And whoever gave you a thumbs down doesn't have the best interests of Meath football at heart Well done sir.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 30/06/2017 22:00:13    2008180

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Excellent post.
1 million percent agree with you.
I have never gone to a game expecting to be beat either."
Apart from saying if we beat Kildare we would have got beaten by 10 by Dublin ! Sorry couldn't help myself !

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 30/06/2017 22:37:52    2008191

Link

Replying To bobjaffacake:  "I'm told Brian power played at no6 at the weekend against roscommon and was man of the match.im told he will definitely start against silgo"
I cant see that 15 starting and i think there will be a couple of changes before the game starts.at least one in defence and one in attack

bobjaffacake (Meath) - Posts: 1400 - 01/07/2017 06:48:20    2008228

Link

Score predictions lads.

I'm expecting a big back lash, especially from our bigger players, and when they play well, we win.

Meath 3 -15
Sligo 1- 10

Jinxie (Meath) - Posts: 6342 - 01/07/2017 10:18:11    2008258

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Btw that is a excellent post. Absolutely spot on. And whoever gave you a thumbs down doesn't have the best interests of Meath football at heart Well done sir."
We are all supports on here we are all behind the team and know they put in effort and give up a huge amount of there time but the team leads if they are doing well everyone should give them credit dont agree with biggy bashing but the team let everyone down the last day and they know that if you walk out the gate and forget about it fair play but i cant love meath and it drives me mad for days this is a forum for people to let off steam and show support equaly some take it to far but in general there is support and team selection on here and i dont think there is any point in a forum where everyone agrees about everything if anyone has a point good or bad lets here if and have a bit of crack and opion about it thats what great about gaa it gets the blood flowing

matthematx (Meath) - Posts: 177 - 01/07/2017 10:55:21    2008266

Link

Here's hoping for Meaths first win in the Qualifiers in 5 years.

A true reflection on where we stand as a County

Royalio11 (Meath) - Posts: 757 - 01/07/2017 11:05:13    2008269

Link