Meath Forum

Meath v Sligo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To matthematx:  "Bad signs to me with that team corner backs cleaned out against kildare to far off their men and not corner backs to begin with keoghan at center back does not work thought andy would send a message to the team that effort was not good enough james toher had his hands on his knees after 20 mins last day if i wer a back on the bench you would think how bad do these guys have to be for me to get a game happy with changes to forwards and midfield where we are very limited should have enough to beat sligo with 100% from everyone but the fact is that back 6 is not good enough the last two games have proved that. center back is a real problem we win no breaking ball in our half back line .i hope we are not going to run down the middle into traffic and lose the ball or kick aim less ball into forwards or shot from miles out if we do the simple things right and put in 110% effort we could win a few games"
Burke played Centre back the last day not Corner back and had a very good game in my opinion considering how bad we were!! Personally I'd rather see Tobin swap with Keoghan!! Or else slip Harnan in Centre Back, Tobin Wing Back (his best opinion in my opinion) and Keoghan back in the corner again!!

ratlag (Meath) - Posts: 557 - 30/06/2017 11:19:38    2007866

Link

Replying To redser123:  "Agree he has never showed anything to deserve playing time, all these ratoath players are consistently letting us down, they've all been on the panel for 3 or 4 years now and they're not getting better, with the exception of McGill who I still don't fully trust I'd start none of them."
Letting us down??? Jesus, what a disgrace of a post. How's about you get up off your arse and train 4-5 times a week (plus gym sessions) with club and county only to get crap like this thrown at you? I'm all for criticizing players' performances but using language like "consistently letting us down" is not on.

Anyway, you've gotten your wish and still people aren't happy. To be honest, it's getting to the stage where I would actually prefer no Ratoath players on the Meath team. Firstly, it would mean more of our players available for league games. Next, less chance of injury (McMahon may be out for the year now) and players would be fresher for the big championship games. And finally, it may actually put a stop to people blaming a lot of our woes on the fact that there are several Ratoath players on the team/squad.

Ratoath Royal (Meath) - Posts: 1362 - 30/06/2017 11:20:05    2007867

Link

Replying To oldsam_newsam:  "If options are limited in Andy's mind then why are Douglas, Power and O'Brien still on the panel? They have been given very little opportunity. The worry I have is that if we get over Sligo and then keep the same time that the same problems that happened vs Kildare will arise again as we have not addressed the issues at the back / midfield. Let's hope Andy has seen enough to justify the selection but, if I was one of the periferal players, I would be pretty disappointed."
I think that proves options are limited......I have seen all 3 you mentioned given a chance,and in all honesty i dont think any one of them could feel agrieved at not being selected. However ,they may get another shot to prove otherwise. Nothing is cast in stone i suggest at this point.

nobull456 (Meath) - Posts: 1224 - 30/06/2017 11:32:02    2007875

Link

Well the team is what it is ! Andy is the one training them and knows why he has picked this team ! So I'm behind him and the team ! Expect Meath to win by 4ish ! But will be a battle ! Was critical of Biggy but predicting him to have a good one 2moro and cillian O'Sullivan!

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 30/06/2017 12:01:07    2007886

Link

Replying To nobull456:  "Replying to Penben.............Options limited, but have to agree with inclusion of Jones and Tower anyway. No doubt 20 players will be used for the 70+ mins. More important than names will be the teamwork, especially team spirit. Our forwards now include Toher, Lenihan and Tobin all can be ok as freetakers. Cetre half back has been a problem,and i see Keoghan given special task here"
Agreed with you there needs to be a total change of spirit in the team as they showed noting against kildare .
But there options there power, Douglas and the lad that came from Simon's town . They have to be worth a chance over burke , tobin and mcentee.
And in midfield Jones is young but there better options there surely Flanagan worth a chance

Penben (Meath) - Posts: 7 - 30/06/2017 12:33:01    2007902

Link

By picking that team to me it seems the manager is accepting a lot of the blame for the loss against Kildare. Would have expected more changes but there you go...

bert09 (Meath) - Posts: 1790 - 30/06/2017 12:39:28    2007905

Link

it is a big game for this bunch of players and we need to support them. agree that the balance doesn't look right in defence but we need to work hard as a unit.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 30/06/2017 12:45:56    2007909

Link

Replying To Penben:  "Agreed with you there needs to be a total change of spirit in the team as they showed noting against kildare .
But there options there power, Douglas and the lad that came from Simon's town . They have to be worth a chance over burke , tobin and mcentee.
And in midfield Jones is young but there better options there surely Flanagan worth a chance"
Mr penBen why don't you look for the mangers job yourself and then you will able to pick the team yourself and there is plenty of selectors on here that be able to help you

meath1977 (Meath) - Posts: 534 - 30/06/2017 13:10:26    2007926

Link

Replying To meath1977:  "Mr penBen why don't you look for the mangers job yourself and then you will able to pick the team yourself and there is plenty of selectors on here that be able to help you"
Yeah I'd be up for the selectors job :)

bobkarlgees (Meath) - Posts: 1263 - 30/06/2017 13:17:12    2007927

Link

I'm not surprised or disappointed by the team selection, Andy obviously feels that this is his best team (barring 2 changes from the last day) and for whatever reason we didn't do ourselves justice against Kildare. We need consistency in selection to find any sort of consistency on the field, now of course if you're found not to be pulling your weight or not up to scratch then changes have to be made but for now let's give the lads another chance.

Htaem (Meath) - Posts: 8657 - 30/06/2017 14:17:28    2007968

Link

Replying To Htaem:  "I'm not surprised or disappointed by the team selection, Andy obviously feels that this is his best team (barring 2 changes from the last day) and for whatever reason we didn't do ourselves justice against Kildare. We need consistency in selection to find any sort of consistency on the field, now of course if you're found not to be pulling your weight or not up to scratch then changes have to be made but for now let's give the lads another chance."
think we had consistency in selection for the last few games of the league. power was centre back and keoghan was corner back. since that changed,we are chasing shadows at the back..

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 30/06/2017 14:46:11    2007988

Link

Replying To ratlag:  "Burke played Centre back the last day not Corner back and had a very good game in my opinion considering how bad we were!! Personally I'd rather see Tobin swap with Keoghan!! Or else slip Harnan in Centre Back, Tobin Wing Back (his best opinion in my opinion) and Keoghan back in the corner again!!"
burke did alright,but at the same time you can't be dragged out of position while playing at 6. you just can't leave holes through the middle. keoghan is a great player,but at 6 also tends to leave holes there. power may not be as good as footballer,but he grew in that position in the league and tends to be more disciplined in that position.
important we play our players in positions they are best suited too. tobin is a really good wing back and would probably be better at midfield than he is corner back. feel sorry for him at the moment.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 30/06/2017 14:50:43    2007991

Link

Defence cleaned out against Kildare , unfortunately this started on the Half back line , where the half forwards just ran riot. I still do not think that our Half back line offered our full back line or M/F any protection . Why then are we going with the same old , same old. the old adage , if you know you have a problem , but don't change anything to correct it , why then would you expect a different result .

Meath_True (Meath) - Posts: 285 - 30/06/2017 14:59:29    2007996

Link

Replying To Meath_True:  "Defence cleaned out against Kildare , unfortunately this started on the Half back line , where the half forwards just ran riot. I still do not think that our Half back line offered our full back line or M/F any protection . Why then are we going with the same old , same old. the old adage , if you know you have a problem , but don't change anything to correct it , why then would you expect a different result ."
I think our main problem with defence starts with our half forward line. If you have forwArds who are shy of putting in the donkey work and who are playing as individuals rather than as a team then you can forget about the any defensive configurations.

bert09 (Meath) - Posts: 1790 - 30/06/2017 15:32:18    2008017

Link

I don't think we will line out the way its picked.has to b horses for courses this time Burke on marren I say.keoghan the other corner,power late substitute go 6 tobin move midfield Jones go wing forward toher dropped.hope we have plan for all eventualitys but some times its just a shoot out.reilly good bet for man match.

Reco (Meath) - Posts: 419 - 30/06/2017 16:13:27    2008034

Link

Replying To Meath_True:  "Defence cleaned out against Kildare , unfortunately this started on the Half back line , where the half forwards just ran riot. I still do not think that our Half back line offered our full back line or M/F any protection . Why then are we going with the same old , same old. the old adage , if you know you have a problem , but don't change anything to correct it , why then would you expect a different result ."
I agree. My issue with it is that this team will probably be good enough to beat Sligo. Say that we go out and beat them by 5 or 6 points then Andy & co. will keep the same team and then we come up against a better team and the failings of the Kildare game could come back to haunt us.

Then again, we must preface this with the fact that Andy is watching them & coaching them so must have his own reasons not to make changes to the defence.

oldsam_newsam (Meath) - Posts: 638 - 30/06/2017 16:18:29    2008037

Link

Yeah - again not impressed with the management on their selection. And agree with the posts here.
We are always "robbing peter to pay paul" and you should not do that with your defense!!
I dont agree with the Burke coments - he was told to follow no. 11 wherever he goes and that is what he did......effectively. But he is not a corner back.
DK should be corner. i would have Menton CB. People say he did ok against Kildare - because he "tried" and scored a few points. He got a few at the end when the game was over. Other than that...he was playing midfield and our midfield got absolutely destroyed but Kildare midfield. But i would love to see Menton play CB or even FB - he is a good back!!
Reilly should be on the 40 facing the goals!!

We will not go far this year because we have no midfield and more importantly because the team dont seem to be coached into any type of game plan! To loose so many of our own kick-outs in this day and age is beyond me!!!

JonnieG (Meath) - Posts: 217 - 30/06/2017 16:38:38    2008049

Link

Replying To JonnieG:  "Yeah - again not impressed with the management on their selection. And agree with the posts here.
We are always "robbing peter to pay paul" and you should not do that with your defense!!
I dont agree with the Burke coments - he was told to follow no. 11 wherever he goes and that is what he did......effectively. But he is not a corner back.
DK should be corner. i would have Menton CB. People say he did ok against Kildare - because he "tried" and scored a few points. He got a few at the end when the game was over. Other than that...he was playing midfield and our midfield got absolutely destroyed but Kildare midfield. But i would love to see Menton play CB or even FB - he is a good back!!
Reilly should be on the 40 facing the goals!!

We will not go far this year because we have no midfield and more importantly because the team dont seem to be coached into any type of game plan! To loose so many of our own kick-outs in this day and age is beyond me!!!"
I would say Menton himself would prefer to play CB or anywhere on the half back line for that matter. It is not his fault that he is shoring up midfield when there are no better options (name 2 better options for midfield). If he had a good fielder of the ball in midfield with him he would be much more effective as he is very good going forward and tracking back, probably has the best work rate in the whole team. Donnacha Tobin is out of position at corner back but I don't think he would be strong enough in the air for midfield. Not sure if Flanagan has anything to offer, he is a good fielder but not very mobile. Harry Rooney if he comes back next year may be an option.

subzero (Meath) - Posts: 69 - 30/06/2017 17:11:39    2008075

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "think we had consistency in selection for the last few games of the league. power was centre back and keoghan was corner back. since that changed,we are chasing shadows at the back.."
Well I do agree there ziggy Keogan is needed back in the corner and isn't as influential at 6 but sometimes he has to fill in there when we're short, although Power is back fit now isn't he?

Htaem (Meath) - Posts: 8657 - 30/06/2017 17:28:14    2008079

Link

Replying To Htaem:  "Well I do agree there ziggy Keogan is needed back in the corner and isn't as influential at 6 but sometimes he has to fill in there when we're short, although Power is back fit now isn't he?"
Well i suppose it is indeed a sign of where we are at. We are still disputing who should play,and who should be playing where. I dont know if there is even one position where we all agree who fills that slot. If we had sufficient players at the standard that issue would not be such a big talking point. We rob Peter to pay Paul all the time. The manager and selectors see players a lot more than we do, so we have to trust them, eventhough sometimes thats very difficult. The common denominator that i want to see is team spirit,and pride in wearing the jersey. Tactics that can be seen ,but you can also deviate from as required. The sideline have to read play patterns ,and act appropriately. No doubt Andy is a novice at this level, He will make mistakes,but as long as the same mistakes are not ongoing thats ok. For me the lack of fighting spirit from the start last day was a real negative against Andy i suggest. However, the lads he put on must have got an earfull from him. They were raring to go OCoileann, Tobin,Conlon etc were fighting an uphill battle , but had a right good go..L

nobull456 (Meath) - Posts: 1224 - 30/06/2017 18:15:26    2008099

Link