Meath Forum

Meath v Kildare Semi-final

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To ziggy32001:  "according to the meath chronicle he should be ok and power should be available too."
Excellent news. Need every one fit and raring to go.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 16/06/2017 06:47:12    2000191

Link

Same 15 as started v louth.

Jinxie (Meath) - Posts: 6341 - 16/06/2017 07:14:15    2000194

Link

Its the same 15 that started against louth anyway to face the lilywhites.what do use think , its a very strong team .only u could see a few position changes.I could see Mickey burke being moved out to half back.meaths back are really going to be on their game .no messing with kildare forwards.we have a strong bench this year which is needed.best of luck to all involved .its going to be a good battle.hon the royals

condae99 (Meath) - Posts: 34 - 16/06/2017 08:02:44    2000200

Link

Just thought I would put this up here according to google O'Connor park is actually a bigger playing surface 145m*90m compared to croke park's 144.5m* 88m. So can we stop saying a small pitch will suit meath or suit kildare. I expect there to be changes before the throw in, Eamon Wallace could be switched to spring off the bench and could possibly see cian O'brien come in as another pressence for the kickouts.

royalcounty1 (Meath) - Posts: 15 - 16/06/2017 08:36:37    2000207

Link

Replying To Jinxie:  "Same 15 as started v louth."
would be surprised if it is to be honest. keoghan needs to be corner back. not suited to 6 and needed at corner back. playing burke would be a huge risk.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 16/06/2017 08:53:45    2000211

Link

Replying To royalcounty1:  "Just thought I would put this up here according to google O'Connor park is actually a bigger playing surface 145m*90m compared to croke park's 144.5m* 88m. So can we stop saying a small pitch will suit meath or suit kildare. I expect there to be changes before the throw in, Eamon Wallace could be switched to spring off the bench and could possibly see cian O'brien come in as another pressence for the kickouts."
toher is in,o'brien won't play.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 16/06/2017 08:54:43    2000213

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "would be surprised if it is to be honest. keoghan needs to be corner back. not suited to 6 and needed at corner back. playing burke would be a huge risk."
No, keoghan needs to stay 6 and stay on niall Kelly Kildare's best player

redser123 (Meath) - Posts: 402 - 16/06/2017 10:00:45    2000230

Link

Kinda expected Andy to go with the same as the last day. I am concerned about Mickey Burke at corner back. having read an article on Mickey Burke a few weeks ago. And its sounds like Mickey has been working his socks since he was dropped. And has lived and breathed meath GAA for gods knows how long now. So no doubt he deserves a chance. Having said that my head saying a keoghan at corner back and ROC or Power to come in the half line instead. But Lets trust Andy and co he got it fairly right the last day. Players that need to step up from the last POR, E Wallace COS ,M Burke, D Tobin, So I think we can up it good bit from the last day, There is alot more in us and there needs to be.

bobkarlgees (Meath) - Posts: 1263 - 16/06/2017 10:23:14    2000242

Link

Any word on the subs ?

bobkarlgees (Meath) - Posts: 1263 - 16/06/2017 10:27:04    2000244

Link

Keoghan has to go back to 2. Can see early changes with power in before half time.

thekillercrow (Meath) - Posts: 26 - 16/06/2017 10:36:48    2000249

Link

Replying To redser123:  "No, keoghan needs to stay 6 and stay on niall Kelly Kildare's best player"
keoghan's positioning is questionable at 6. he is a warrior and does great work,but often strays from his position at the wrong times.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 16/06/2017 10:44:20    2000251

Link

Replying To thekillercrow:  "Keoghan has to go back to 2. Can see early changes with power in before half time."
yeah he is top class at 2,and also our defence as a whole looks steadier with he and mcgill in the full back line.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 16/06/2017 11:03:08    2000261

Link

Sideline decisions on how and when 20 men are used could be critical. Fringe players like Power as an example may get the chance to prove they are up to championship football at this point. It seems Andy will start with the best 15 for this the toughest test so far. We are a work in progress All hands on deck strong work rate. and team spirit improvement. continuing may just about be good enough.

nobull456 (Meath) - Posts: 1208 - 16/06/2017 13:00:51    2000318

Link

Replying To bobkarlgees:  "Kinda expected Andy to go with the same as the last day. I am concerned about Mickey Burke at corner back. having read an article on Mickey Burke a few weeks ago. And its sounds like Mickey has been working his socks since he was dropped. And has lived and breathed meath GAA for gods knows how long now. So no doubt he deserves a chance. Having said that my head saying a keoghan at corner back and ROC or Power to come in the half line instead. But Lets trust Andy and co he got it fairly right the last day. Players that need to step up from the last POR, E Wallace COS ,M Burke, D Tobin, So I think we can up it good bit from the last day, There is alot more in us and there needs to be."
To me it seems a bit strange to hear people say of Burke that he deserves a chance as if he is a peripheral figure on the team trying to break through, he has done well playing for Meath for many years and 2 weeks ago he was named on the Leinster GAA's team of the week. In the modern game he very often ends up following his man out the field. When this happens this suits Meath down to the ground as (due to his engine) when he when he ends up playing between the half back and half forward line he is brilliant at supporting the play and being there to take a hand pass off someone who is under pressure and in danger of either being pulled up for over carrying or losing the ball when being tackled.

bdbuddah (Meath) - Posts: 1333 - 16/06/2017 13:18:09    2000325

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "yeah he is top class at 2,and also our defence as a whole looks steadier with he and mcgill in the full back line."
Yeah I think he is as good a corner back as there is. While he plays at 6 for Rathkenny and tends to do well, we all know about the gulf in class between doing it at club level and in a Leinster semi final. However Andy was always going to pick Burke based on the last day and tbh, he did alright.

Toher deserves a start too, if nothing else his physicality could be key for us especially if it's Keith Cribben he's directly up against.

Up the Royals

royalfan4life (Meath) - Posts: 76 - 16/06/2017 13:31:38    2000333

Link

Replying To Loyalroyal17:  "I have to say lads im fairly taken back by the amount of negativity on this forum...the lads need our support and optimism, we all know they (some) read these forums..at least they can see the confidence their supporters have in them!!!. Where is your faith?? When we are playing terrible we are knocked down when we improve its not good enough. Learn to have a bit of faith will ye."
You get used to it sadly. It's going to be a cracker of a game I think. The bookies have Kildare as slight favourites (10/11 as opposed to 11/10) and that's to be expected given their promotion. That said however, we are in a decent run of form and that helps build momentum. I'm not one for making pre-match predictions, but I'm hoping we shade it, we certainly have good enough players to win the game!

GlasgowRoyal (Meath) - Posts: 293 - 16/06/2017 13:38:30    2000339

Link

Replying To bdbuddah:  "To me it seems a bit strange to hear people say of Burke that he deserves a chance as if he is a peripheral figure on the team trying to break through, he has done well playing for Meath for many years and 2 weeks ago he was named on the Leinster GAA's team of the week. In the modern game he very often ends up following his man out the field. When this happens this suits Meath down to the ground as (due to his engine) when he when he ends up playing between the half back and half forward line he is brilliant at supporting the play and being there to take a hand pass off someone who is under pressure and in danger of either being pulled up for over carrying or losing the ball when being tackled."
I mentioned that Burke was named in the team of the week and it was ignored on here. Either people on here are crushingly negative and over critical or those naming the team of the week got it badly wrong!

GlasgowRoyal (Meath) - Posts: 293 - 16/06/2017 13:50:52    2000342

Link

Replying To bdbuddah:  "To me it seems a bit strange to hear people say of Burke that he deserves a chance as if he is a peripheral figure on the team trying to break through, he has done well playing for Meath for many years and 2 weeks ago he was named on the Leinster GAA's team of the week. In the modern game he very often ends up following his man out the field. When this happens this suits Meath down to the ground as (due to his engine) when he when he ends up playing between the half back and half forward line he is brilliant at supporting the play and being there to take a hand pass off someone who is under pressure and in danger of either being pulled up for over carrying or losing the ball when being tackled."
Well going by the article I think it was in the independent. Mickey was saying that Andy approached him and told he was going to drop Mickey.He not feature in many games in the league. it was looking like the end of the road for Mickey given his age. But he must have impressed in training to make his way back on the team. So that's where I am coming from with the chance. I know what your say about holding on to the ball in a tight corners. But I dont really agree. Mickey can be a bit panicky with the ball. on occasions. And tends to pass the ball backwards or side ways rather forward. He not a D Keoghan and Alan fFode that can spark an attack out of nowhere. Hopefully Mickey will have a stormer on Saturday and more power to him if he dose.

bobkarlgees (Meath) - Posts: 1263 - 16/06/2017 14:05:54    2000352

Link

Replying To GlasgowRoyal:  "I mentioned that Burke was named in the team of the week and it was ignored on here. Either people on here are crushingly negative and over critical or those naming the team of the week got it badly wrong!"
No....Clearly Mickey Burke is there on merit.His work rate alone makes him hold the jersey. Simply no other player has proven a better option so far. Anyway Andy and co are much better placed to make the calls

nobull456 (Meath) - Posts: 1208 - 16/06/2017 14:13:28    2000357

Link

Replying To bobkarlgees:  "Well going by the article I think it was in the independent. Mickey was saying that Andy approached him and told he was going to drop Mickey.He not feature in many games in the league. it was looking like the end of the road for Mickey given his age. But he must have impressed in training to make his way back on the team. So that's where I am coming from with the chance. I know what your say about holding on to the ball in a tight corners. But I dont really agree. Mickey can be a bit panicky with the ball. on occasions. And tends to pass the ball backwards or side ways rather forward. He not a D Keoghan and Alan fFode that can spark an attack out of nowhere. Hopefully Mickey will have a stormer on Saturday and more power to him if he dose."
Due to Burkes work rate (especially when he follows his man out the field) on many occasion's when one of our players runs into trouble it is him who is player available to take a pass (other players would not be there in the first place to take the pass) . He has the best work rate of any Meath player for the last number of years and he is very fit, but not in any way flashy (apart from his tattoos!). I always think its a bit unfair that with Burke it seems to me can play well for several games and get no credit but when a game goes bad for him and many other players he seems to be picked out for criticism.

bdbuddah (Meath) - Posts: 1333 - 16/06/2017 14:47:18    2000371

Link