Meath Forum

Meath v Kildare Semi-final

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To bdbuddah:  "The game is not just about Meath, it is also about Kildare and they also have a lot of positive things to point to coming into this game."
Such a statement 'this game is not just about Meath' for the true supporters who follow their team up and down the country in the worst weather conditions it is ALL about Meath.

Loyalroyal17 (Meath) - Posts: 627 - 15/06/2017 18:41:34    2000072

Link

Replying To BarneysTie:  "So Loyal - just to be devil's advocate for a moment - if you're saying Kildare were way ahead of us in terms of fitness in the League, and that we've come a long way since then, surely by that logic Kildare would also have come a long way? So how can you say we'll win easy?

I can only assume that the people on here predicting an easy win for Meath are wind-up merchants. The same lads who will be jumping onto this forum on Saturday night whinging if it all goes wrong and we lose.

The reality is that nobody in their right mind could say either side will win this game easily. All evidence suggests it'll be tight - not least the stat that there is only a point on aggregate to choose between the sides in a total of 12 championship meetings.

Whoever loses on Saturday should still have plenty of football left to play before the year is out."
Its not going to be an easy win and yes I do think Meath are by far the fitter of two teams, mark my words, ye of little faith will be jumping in here saturday eating your words. Ive been watching our team train over last few months and if we play as well as we can ive no doubt that we will win. Evidence aside it comes down to performance on the day.

Loyalroyal17 (Meath) - Posts: 627 - 15/06/2017 18:47:37    2000077

Link

Replying To BarneysTie:  "So Loyal - just to be devil's advocate for a moment - if you're saying Kildare were way ahead of us in terms of fitness in the League, and that we've come a long way since then, surely by that logic Kildare would also have come a long way? So how can you say we'll win easy?

I can only assume that the people on here predicting an easy win for Meath are wind-up merchants. The same lads who will be jumping onto this forum on Saturday night whinging if it all goes wrong and we lose.

The reality is that nobody in their right mind could say either side will win this game easily. All evidence suggests it'll be tight - not least the stat that there is only a point on aggregate to choose between the sides in a total of 12 championship meetings.

Whoever loses on Saturday should still have plenty of football left to play before the year is out."
Two things firstly I have always been and always will be positive about playing a game the only year and a bit I was not was last year and Derry match previous to that, I knew we wouldn't, no couldn't beat anyone, we were a shambolic outfit, no leadership from players or sideline, I never bought the idea that was pumped out about not having the players to compete. I said then we were on a par player wise with Donegal under McGuinness when he came in, the difference was management. That has now been rectified, of course there was bumps along the way, Kildare match wher hangover from previous incumbent was evident (graham Reilly apart) . But mcentee has done exactly as he said he would, we playing as a unit with leadership all over the field , with belief in sideline and system. So no I am not going to change habit of a lifetime and think Kildare or anyone for that matter of fact could beat us, sorry its not in my dna.
Lastly should we come up short , I certainly will not whinge about Andy McEntee, the man has saved Meath football, and I will get down on my knees and thank god that he took us over when we at our lowest ebb, win loss or draw on Saturday.
Hon the royal.
Btw any number of fans on hear for years know how optimistic I am regarding Meath. If you dont think they will win, dont bother going to game, I know I wouldn't.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 15/06/2017 18:59:45    2000079

Link

Replying To bdbuddah:  "I like your optimism but you are probably alone in thinking the win is a given for Meath. Meath appear to be going in the right direction and the signs are good but this is the biggest test since Andy has come in. I think a fair preview of the game would have Kildare slight favorites given Kildare beat us (well) in league in Navan , got promoted out of the division with a game to spare and while both teams played well in previous round we conceded 3 goals and could have conceded more. We are unlikely to win if we concede 3 goals again."
All fair points, I think if we concede 3 goals you can forget about it, and Kildare may look for an early goal given it worked a treat down in Navan. We can't afford any lapses of concentration from our backs or Paddy in goals.

Kildare are slight favourites and deservedly so, they've had a better year than us but we have improved since the heavy league defeat so it should be very interesting on Saturday.

Htaem (Meath) - Posts: 8657 - 15/06/2017 19:21:41    2000089

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Two things firstly I have always been and always will be positive about playing a game the only year and a bit I was not was last year and Derry match previous to that, I knew we wouldn't, no couldn't beat anyone, we were a shambolic outfit, no leadership from players or sideline, I never bought the idea that was pumped out about not having the players to compete. I said then we were on a par player wise with Donegal under McGuinness when he came in, the difference was management. That has now been rectified, of course there was bumps along the way, Kildare match wher hangover from previous incumbent was evident (graham Reilly apart) . But mcentee has done exactly as he said he would, we playing as a unit with leadership all over the field , with belief in sideline and system. So no I am not going to change habit of a lifetime and think Kildare or anyone for that matter of fact could beat us, sorry its not in my dna.
Lastly should we come up short , I certainly will not whinge about Andy McEntee, the man has saved Meath football, and I will get down on my knees and thank god that he took us over when we at our lowest ebb, win loss or draw on Saturday.
Hon the royal.
Btw any number of fans on hear for years know how optimistic I am regarding Meath. If you dont think they will win, dont bother going to game, I know I wouldn't."
Just out of curiosity RoyalDunne you have said Meath were on a par with Donegal, a team who have won one and lost another All-Ireland in the last five years, which Meath players of the recent past were of the calibre of say Michael Murphy, Karl Lacey, Frank McGlynn, Neil Gallagher, Paul Durcan (all receipents of All-Stars) - I find your comment confusing to say the least so would appreciate some clarity.
I expect Meath to edge a very close game on Saturday, although I wouldnt rule out a draw. I'm hoping our superior scoring threat will prove telling after 70 odd minutes.

RoylerKing (Meath) - Posts: 809 - 15/06/2017 19:26:13    2000090

Link

I have to say lads im fairly taken back by the amount of negativity on this forum...the lads need our support and optimism, we all know they (some) read these forums..at least they can see the confidence their supporters have in them!!!. Where is your faith?? When we are playing terrible we are knocked down when we improve its not good enough. Learn to have a bit of faith will ye.

Loyalroyal17 (Meath) - Posts: 627 - 15/06/2017 19:42:26    2000097

Link

Nihil boni sine labore

Meath by 3

bert09 (Meath) - Posts: 1790 - 15/06/2017 20:11:35    2000109

Link

Replying To Loyalroyal17:  "Its not going to be an easy win and yes I do think Meath are by far the fitter of two teams, mark my words, ye of little faith will be jumping in here saturday eating your words. Ive been watching our team train over last few months and if we play as well as we can ive no doubt that we will win. Evidence aside it comes down to performance on the day."
I'd have confidence in this Meath team playing well for sure if they are given the time and space to utilise their pace and mobility in the forward line to maximum effect. Buy only a naive opponent would allow Meath to play a game entirely on their terms. It is much more difficult when an opponent plays a blanket defense or defends in large numbers and Meath have to adapt to a gameplan which isn't second nature. If Meath's scoring forwards are smothered and/or physically dominated inside and their runners aren't allowed to run directly towards goal as they please, where are the scores going to come from to win a game? A well-organised team that sets out to defend in numbers, can counter attack swiftly and pick off long range scores will be very hard to beat.

GlasagusOr (Meath) - Posts: 1348 - 15/06/2017 20:12:41    2000110

Link

good article from Alan Brogan in todays indo
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/alan-brogan-there-is-a-touch-of-madness-to-the-meath-management-and-kildare-should-beware-35830972.html

seadog54 (Meath) - Posts: 2136 - 15/06/2017 20:40:50    2000120

Link

I can honestly say I feel like im defending my team to an opposing county here on this forum. Our players have passion but clearly not our supporters. Will check in again saturday night when please god we do win and see what negativiely you bring back from Offaly.

Loyalroyal17 (Meath) - Posts: 627 - 15/06/2017 20:56:38    2000125

Link

It is not about negativity, it is just that some of us are more realistic about the challenge Meath face and know better than to underestimate the opposition.

GlasagusOr (Meath) - Posts: 1348 - 15/06/2017 21:36:53    2000136

Link

I think its a sign of the times that we are on the up, as alot of neutrals are genuinely looking forward to this game. How would have bother about this fixture this time last year ? Meath just scraping over the line to stay in Div 2 against Loais. Kildare have came long too in the past few years. Both sides are now of decent variety. I feel Meath will be hurting from the non event that was there last meeting in Navan. Get Kildare on the back foot early get some early scores on the board. Put some pressure on the Kildare shooting, which I feel we have been doing in recent games and don't let Kildare out of jail by given away goals. And we will be smiling Saturday evening.

bobkarlgees (Meath) - Posts: 1263 - 15/06/2017 21:45:18    2000139

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Two things firstly I have always been and always will be positive about playing a game the only year and a bit I was not was last year and Derry match previous to that, I knew we wouldn't, no couldn't beat anyone, we were a shambolic outfit, no leadership from players or sideline, I never bought the idea that was pumped out about not having the players to compete. I said then we were on a par player wise with Donegal under McGuinness when he came in, the difference was management. That has now been rectified, of course there was bumps along the way, Kildare match wher hangover from previous incumbent was evident (graham Reilly apart) . But mcentee has done exactly as he said he would, we playing as a unit with leadership all over the field , with belief in sideline and system. So no I am not going to change habit of a lifetime and think Kildare or anyone for that matter of fact could beat us, sorry its not in my dna.
Hon the royal.
Btw any number of fans on hear for years know how optimistic I am regarding Meath. If you dont think they will win, dont bother going to game, I know I wouldn't."
So if Meath win on Saturday and are playing he Dubs in the final by your logic none of us should bother going to the Leinster Final as most of us wold be going in expectation of a Dublin win?

And, while I am at it, could you please give it a rest with our ongoing implied criticisms of Mick o' Dowd. You made your point....many many times. The guy tried his best and didn't cut the mustard and made the mistake of continuing longer than he should have. But he is a good sound Meathman who gave up a lot of his life managing Meath and it is quite revolting to read your ongoing comments about him.

They sometimes say if you don't have something good to say then don't say anything and i think you could learn from this.

oldsam_newsam (Meath) - Posts: 638 - 15/06/2017 21:48:54    2000140

Link

Replying To Loyalroyal17:  "I have to say lads im fairly taken back by the amount of negativity on this forum...the lads need our support and optimism, we all know they (some) read these forums..at least they can see the confidence their supporters have in them!!!. Where is your faith?? When we are playing terrible we are knocked down when we improve its not good enough. Learn to have a bit of faith will ye."
Nobody's being negative......people just speaking the truth
..that it's not gonna be a cake walk and kildare are a decent team. Only a fool would say otherwise

southmeathgael (Meath) - Posts: 885 - 15/06/2017 21:52:02    2000141

Link

Replying To RoylerKing:  "Just out of curiosity RoyalDunne you have said Meath were on a par with Donegal, a team who have won one and lost another All-Ireland in the last five years, which Meath players of the recent past were of the calibre of say Michael Murphy, Karl Lacey, Frank McGlynn, Neil Gallagher, Paul Durcan (all receipents of All-Stars) - I find your comment confusing to say the least so would appreciate some clarity.
I expect Meath to edge a very close game on Saturday, although I wouldnt rule out a draw. I'm hoping our superior scoring threat will prove telling after 70 odd minutes."
Gladly clarify for you.
In 2009/10. Durkan was a average keeper , McFadden had been around a long time , Murphy was considered a good player. Lacey was a g player along with cassidy (arguably their star stand out player ) but if someone had said to you that majority of them would be all ire winners in couple of years with all stars, you I and everyone else would have sent for the men in white coat. We will put por, keoghan, Tobin, lenehane, McMahon even biggie (as the stand out player) in instead of those ones from Donegal, and we see the similarities between our players and the Donegal ones ,prior to McGuinness arrival. The say hindsight is 20/20 vision. But try to forget about what they achieved with jim, what were they like before? That is where I draw the similarities, good players not performing to potential due to bad management, but with good manager they excelled , I believe Andy will do same for our players I mentioned and more.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 15/06/2017 21:55:15    2000142

Link

Replying To oldsam_newsam:  "So if Meath win on Saturday and are playing he Dubs in the final by your logic none of us should bother going to the Leinster Final as most of us wold be going in expectation of a Dublin win?

And, while I am at it, could you please give it a rest with our ongoing implied criticisms of Mick o' Dowd. You made your point....many many times. The guy tried his best and didn't cut the mustard and made the mistake of continuing longer than he should have. But he is a good sound Meathman who gave up a lot of his life managing Meath and it is quite revolting to read your ongoing comments about him.

They sometimes say if you don't have something good to say then don't say anything and i think you could learn from this."
Firstly yes. Do not go to Leinster final if you think Dublin will win, that's a given I thought for most people..
Secondly to clear the optimism of some supporters it has to be pointed out particularly in relation to early league the hangover that was there. I have never said mod wasn't a decent man , I never said he didn't do his best. His problem was believing he could manage a inter county team, very few is as proud decent Meath man than myself , however I know my limitations, and I would not look for a Jo I clearly was not qualified for or equipped to deal with, furthermore if I found myself in that situation I would not blame , everything and anything to cover up for my own failings. To come out and say we hadn't good enough players and we had achieved as much as we could with what we had, was not only insulting to the players, supporters, clubs , and everyone who genuinely loves GAA in county. That was very disrespectful to all. Accountability in amy position is the most important thing and aspect of the measure of any man. In that he failed miserably. And the decent lovely proud man thing that's wheeled out must never be allowed to cover up his own failings by blaming everyone else except himself.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 15/06/2017 22:20:05    2000145

Link

Any word is toher fitt for Saturday.if he is I think he will start.james mcentee could start ahead of eamon wallace.when will the team be picked

condae99 (Meath) - Posts: 34 - 15/06/2017 22:28:14    2000147

Link

Replying To condae99:  "Any word is toher fitt for Saturday.if he is I think he will start.james mcentee could start ahead of eamon wallace.when will the team be picked"
according to the meath chronicle he should be ok and power should be available too.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 15/06/2017 23:20:21    2000160

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "according to the meath chronicle he should be ok and power should be available too."
hopefully both are fit, will be a 20 man game on Saturday

seadog54 (Meath) - Posts: 2136 - 15/06/2017 23:47:09    2000171

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Firstly yes. Do not go to Leinster final if you think Dublin will win, that's a given I thought for most people..
Secondly to clear the optimism of some supporters it has to be pointed out particularly in relation to early league the hangover that was there. I have never said mod wasn't a decent man , I never said he didn't do his best. His problem was believing he could manage a inter county team, very few is as proud decent Meath man than myself , however I know my limitations, and I would not look for a Jo I clearly was not qualified for or equipped to deal with, furthermore if I found myself in that situation I would not blame , everything and anything to cover up for my own failings. To come out and say we hadn't good enough players and we had achieved as much as we could with what we had, was not only insulting to the players, supporters, clubs , and everyone who genuinely loves GAA in county. That was very disrespectful to all. Accountability in amy position is the most important thing and aspect of the measure of any man. In that he failed miserably. And the decent lovely proud man thing that's wheeled out must never be allowed to cover up his own failings by blaming everyone else except himself."
I am with you on MOD and believing fully in Andy. But saying we shouldn't go to a match if we think Meath will lose is a joke. I have realism. We aren't going to win the All Ireland and we have to accept that. One step at a time. Think of the cute Kerry hooers that play down their team at every chance and it didn't hurt them. Being very loud and shouting about how good your team is is both childish and Dubish. I thought our supporters were more knowledgeable than this

LeitrimRoyal99 (Meath) - Posts: 1454 - 16/06/2017 01:35:32    2000180

Link