Meath Forum

Meath v Kildare Semi-final

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Loyalroyal17:  "Maybe he did hurt himself the Tuesday before but he is a tank and more resilient than other players. He looked extremely fit and pain free in that warm up (training session) in Tullamore. I was talking to him over the weekend he never mentioned been injured. Biggy doesn't make excuses (and i hate when others do) when he plays badly, so he wont come out and say there was anything wrong with him. Let by gone's be by gone's. He is going to be on top form Sunday week, expecting a super game from him. Back to leading his team."
Thats fair enough and should be an end to it, hopefully he has a good outing v Sligo. He is someone we need to be playing well. Onwards and upwards

seadog54 (Meath) - Posts: 2135 - 22/06/2017 10:35:51    2003423

Link

Replying To seadog54:  "Thats fair enough and should be an end to it, hopefully he has a good outing v Sligo. He is someone we need to be playing well. Onwards and upwards"
Hopefully, negatively seems to spur him on so with bit of luck he got enough of it this week to give him that push he needs. I cant see it been a poor performance. If we don't have him playing well, the lads wont have their leadership and I can see us falling apart. Onwards and upwards....

Loyalroyal17 (Meath) - Posts: 627 - 22/06/2017 11:00:56    2003444

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "feely played really well,but so did menton. menton worked his socks off and was doing the work of 3 men. often the only player looking for the ball from kick outs,got a few scores,beat feely a few times(not easy to do) ,but not meathman looking for the breaks."
Exactly right and question has to be asked where was Jones? Never looked to get on the ball, never offered himself for a kickout, to be honest it looked to me as if he was hiding on the pitch and that's unacceptable at intercounty level

redser123 (Meath) - Posts: 402 - 22/06/2017 13:40:10    2003533

Link

Replying To redser123:  "Exactly right and question has to be asked where was Jones? Never looked to get on the ball, never offered himself for a kickout, to be honest it looked to me as if he was hiding on the pitch and that's unacceptable at intercounty level"
Feel unfair to knock the young lads we brought on young players they done there best.Kildare had Bolton Callaghan to bring in for experience. Granted game was as much as lost but to blame young Jones I have to disagree.line needs to b smarter now no excuses set us up to win.

Reco (Meath) - Posts: 419 - 22/06/2017 17:35:39    2003680

Link

Replying To redser123:  "Exactly right and question has to be asked where was Jones? Never looked to get on the ball, never offered himself for a kickout, to be honest it looked to me as if he was hiding on the pitch and that's unacceptable at intercounty level"
Jones made plenty of runs, never got into the game alright but he's only a young fella & will learn from this. you're being very harsh on the young lad, remember Mc Dermott was around a few years before he started reaching his potential

royal69er (Meath) - Posts: 96 - 22/06/2017 21:02:25    2003751

Link

he didn't play great,but it was always gonna be difficult for him in a game like this. he is only new and had no games in the league. has potential for sure. important we get lads to reach that potential,because some players who had potential seem to just stagnate. one of those was taking off at half time last week..
we do need to win more dirty ball around midfield and lads who have a good instinct for breaking ball, tobin is good at this and needs to play wing back imo. also conlon has these traits and is good at holding the middle.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 22/06/2017 22:07:33    2003776

Link

Replying To royal69er:  "Jones made plenty of runs, never got into the game alright but he's only a young fella & will learn from this. you're being very harsh on the young lad, remember Mc Dermott was around a few years before he started reaching his potential"
Of all counties in Ireland I think Meath use this "youth"excuse more than any other county, he was nowhere near good enough , he was making meaningless runs, most of his running was chasing feely & moolicks tails, very surprised he's starting, I would have been OK with it if he played some league games but he didn't play a second in the league, I felt sorry for Menton he had no help in midfield

redser123 (Meath) - Posts: 402 - 22/06/2017 22:47:12    2003789

Link

Replying To redser123:  "Of all counties in Ireland I think Meath use this "youth"excuse more than any other county, he was nowhere near good enough , he was making meaningless runs, most of his running was chasing feely & moolicks tails, very surprised he's starting, I would have been OK with it if he played some league games but he didn't play a second in the league, I felt sorry for Menton he had no help in midfield"
Might have been the case on the day alright but it's not a true reflection of where he's at. You see the challenge games he played in recently?

MarkMyWords (Meath) - Posts: 498 - 22/06/2017 23:16:45    2003797

Link

Replying To redser123:  "Of all counties in Ireland I think Meath use this "youth"excuse more than any other county, he was nowhere near good enough , he was making meaningless runs, most of his running was chasing feely & moolicks tails, very surprised he's starting, I would have been OK with it if he played some league games but he didn't play a second in the league, I felt sorry for Menton he had no help in midfield"
menton worked his socks off,if the rest of the team put in the workload he put in,we had a chance to win the game. mentally you would still question many of our players. if things don't go right early for some of our players,their heads just drop and they stop trying. you can tell which ones do that. things didn't always go right for o'sullivan, however, he kept trying to get on the ball and did not hide and that is the correct mentality.
you may not always play well,but you gotta keep going,work hard and play for the team.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 23/06/2017 08:26:26    2003839

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "menton worked his socks off,if the rest of the team put in the workload he put in,we had a chance to win the game. mentally you would still question many of our players. if things don't go right early for some of our players,their heads just drop and they stop trying. you can tell which ones do that. things didn't always go right for o'sullivan, however, he kept trying to get on the ball and did not hide and that is the correct mentality.
you may not always play well,but you gotta keep going,work hard and play for the team."
Both of these players gave it their all ( I would include Burke) and showed leadership while trying their best to take game to Kildare we can ask no more of players, as you said certain heads seem to drop all to easily.

seadog54 (Meath) - Posts: 2135 - 23/06/2017 10:03:39    2003872

Link

You have to laugh at some of the stuff that gets posted here...what should we do with Jones, throw him on the scrap heap?? I'm obviously biased as a Dunboyne man, but I would be very surprised if those 'meaningless runs' we're specific instructions from management to try and drag the Kildare midfielders around as a poster mentioned earlier. Also as you mentioned, he hasn't played the league this year, anytime with the U21s (to the best of my knowledge) and very limited club time. If he's hardly played this year, I don't think it's a 'youth' excuse.

I probably have my club-tinted glasses on here and will get slated for saying this, but I thought Menton was equally as poor, in the first 20 mins especially. He kicked 2 sweet points in a short space of time which I think really changed people's perception of his whole game. Jones has a great engine and only got going in the second half against Louth the last day out. Had he been left on he could have done similar, but who knows!

I know I'm talking ifs and buts and to mention for the 3rd time, I'm being biased, but I thought we were totally wiped in midfield for most of the game and wouldn't want to see one person totally take the fall for this. Now let the backlash to my comment begin :D

dunbainneman (Meath) - Posts: 36 - 23/06/2017 11:43:55    2003934

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "menton worked his socks off,if the rest of the team put in the workload he put in,we had a chance to win the game. mentally you would still question many of our players. if things don't go right early for some of our players,their heads just drop and they stop trying. you can tell which ones do that. things didn't always go right for o'sullivan, however, he kept trying to get on the ball and did not hide and that is the correct mentality.
you may not always play well,but you gotta keep going,work hard and play for the team."
I hear some people giving out about O'Sullivan that he ran into trouble but to me he tried harder than anybody and did not hide and always looked for the ball. Sometimes he probably should have passed but many times there was no one to pass to or otherwise other players who were up front did not seem to want the ball. I agree some of the players mentally did not seem up for the game and did not work and hid when the going got tough.

bdbuddah (Meath) - Posts: 1337 - 23/06/2017 13:24:50    2003988

Link

Replying To dunbainneman:  "You have to laugh at some of the stuff that gets posted here...what should we do with Jones, throw him on the scrap heap?? I'm obviously biased as a Dunboyne man, but I would be very surprised if those 'meaningless runs' we're specific instructions from management to try and drag the Kildare midfielders around as a poster mentioned earlier. Also as you mentioned, he hasn't played the league this year, anytime with the U21s (to the best of my knowledge) and very limited club time. If he's hardly played this year, I don't think it's a 'youth' excuse.

I probably have my club-tinted glasses on here and will get slated for saying this, but I thought Menton was equally as poor, in the first 20 mins especially. He kicked 2 sweet points in a short space of time which I think really changed people's perception of his whole game. Jones has a great engine and only got going in the second half against Louth the last day out. Had he been left on he could have done similar, but who knows!

I know I'm talking ifs and buts and to mention for the 3rd time, I'm being biased, but I thought we were totally wiped in midfield for most of the game and wouldn't want to see one person totally take the fall for this. Now let the backlash to my comment begin :D"
I think menton had a decent game....watched it again and he worked tirelessly.....Jones was poor but he's young and to over criticise him is pathetic. Lenihan was another positive. One more positive is we drew the 2nd half.....but that's really reaching for positives I suppose

southmeathgael (Meath) - Posts: 885 - 23/06/2017 14:02:59    2004012

Link

Replying To seadog54:  "Both of these players gave it their all ( I would include Burke) and showed leadership while trying their best to take game to Kildare we can ask no more of players, as you said certain heads seem to drop all to easily."
yeah burke too in fairness

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 23/06/2017 14:30:15    2004028

Link

Replying To bdbuddah:  "I hear some people giving out about O'Sullivan that he ran into trouble but to me he tried harder than anybody and did not hide and always looked for the ball. Sometimes he probably should have passed but many times there was no one to pass to or otherwise other players who were up front did not seem to want the ball. I agree some of the players mentally did not seem up for the game and did not work and hid when the going got tough."
could have helped him if he had support runners,question is why didn't he? lenihan and mcmahon were often double marked,so there had to be space for players to support cillian. biggy and wallace were too deep to support cillian and not sure why wallace is reluctant to use his pace..

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 23/06/2017 14:34:13    2004031

Link

Yes Menton tried at least.However don't understand why he tries to catch a high ball mainly with one hand. Players who don't try or go missing when needed repeatedly are not up to the standard we have about 7 players on the team who are like that and mentally weak.Whenever we find better they go regardless. Players who came on seemed more suited because they tried at least.
Maybe Andy may start the 15 that finished to send out a message now

nobull456 (Meath) - Posts: 1211 - 23/06/2017 19:31:37    2004144

Link

Ye boys might like this I found

https://performtraynor.wordpress.com/2017/06/21/meath-warmup-performance/

OldSchoolRules (Australia) - Posts: 10 - 24/06/2017 15:22:33    2004314

Link

Replying To OldSchoolRules:  "Ye boys might like this I found

https://performtraynor.wordpress.com/2017/06/21/meath-warmup-performance/"
spot on that.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 24/06/2017 16:57:12    2004342

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "spot on that."
I'd prefer to listen to likes of cian Ward wolly Parkinson dessie Dolan , who have been there done that. And said very clearly the warm up was way too much.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 24/06/2017 17:35:50    2004351

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "spot on that."
He in not a bad little rugby player Chris Traynor...i wonder what he made of Joe Schmidt comments after the irish game in Japan today "It was very hot out there, the players were fatiguing early in the game, so it was great to get a good start and hang on at the finish."

WhyTheLongFace (Meath) - Posts: 875 - 24/06/2017 18:02:36    2004367

Link