Meath Forum

Meath v Kildare Semi-final

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To royaldunne:  "Id say its more than A drink. Yes lets leave off the only player with a Leinster medal, the player who was best Meath player in league (including v Kildare) who scored 14 from play in two games, who destroyed lee Keegan in club final (something Connolly has never done)
Oh and our captain."
Majority of this forum don't agree with your opinion... I'm not going to get into an argument about graham again .The simple facts are that he is a fine player at times ,!outstanding against weaker opposition but struggles against division 1 opposition! Now that's not all his fault every other player was getting roasted aswell yesterday ! Captain or no captain that doesnt come into a selection process ! Plenty of them have been dropped before ! The performance v Louth was irrelevant yesterday as Longford gave them a hiding in Drogheda ! And Royaldunne your no better supporter than the next man ! Blind optimism when we get hammered by Kildare in the league then get hammered by them again 6 months later and keep repeating the sane nonsense over and over ! This year has been very poor but there is still time yet so hopefully it will inprove! And finally if (and I don't think he did) Biggy was injured he shouldn't have played ! Looks like your clutching at straws though ! Pretty pathetic on your part !

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 18/06/2017 19:21:23    2001307

Link

Replying To RoylerKing:  "Having talked to one of the backroom staff this morning I can confirm that Graham had no injury whatsoever and he was substituted due to his below par showing. However, in fairness he was one of a number of players to have played well below his best.
All eyes on the Qualifier draw in the morning"
Lies.
Graham was injured in Tue eve , and this will be confirmed over next couple of days.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 18/06/2017 19:21:25    2001308

Link

Replying To meath1977:  "it was poor and I am very disappointed today. but I was not happy after the louth game either I knew Kildare would not give them the time and space louth give us. and Langford beating louth was a worry when I heard it before the game. but you don't stop doing what you are trying to do and the supporters has to leave it in the hands of the manger Andy. he has made mistakes but who has not I for one belive it wrong haveing Joe sub goalie. paddy needs some one at his toes to take the number one off him and there should be good club goalies here. but we must win next match and target four wins this year in the championship which would take us to the last eight. we have to belive we can get there. don't forget about last night but learn from it"
Sure Royaldunne thinks its a master stroke...yeah crazy decision and I'm a seneschalstown man and very fond of Joe

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 18/06/2017 19:26:56    2001315

Link

Replying To MarkMyWords:  "Bryan Menton was outstanding. Got through the work of about 4 men in the middle third. O'Coileáin was good when he came on. Thought Burke was actually okay and Lenihan kicked a few nice scores. That's about it."
Thought he had a very good game, playing around the middle with little back up from anyone except cos who in fairness to him kept trying to bring game to Kildare

seadog54 (Meath) - Posts: 2135 - 18/06/2017 19:36:46    2001324

Link

I was surprised how biggy played too cos after 5 mins he had his hands on hips on 45metre line and he just didnt get in the game. He was brilliant vs louth but something was wrong with him yesterday but we cant focus on 1 player. Every player has an off day even connolly ,geraghty all the greats. Problem is too many yesterday had an off day. The main issue is having a running game tactic it is all we have vs the big teams . yesterday again was lenihan up front by himself and biggy, wallace and sulli running . This has been used for the last 6 years with bray by himelf and forde biggy etc running . Teams know this we need a plan b use three forwards and push up ffs if the backs are not good enough to do there job change them. Get flanagan in midfield to have a go with jones and bring menton to 6 meath need a big no6. The sprinting tactic didnt work yesterday and was stupid in that heat all were burnt out toher wallace, mcmahon and biggy. Sullivan is a class player and if he played in the 90s would have been a great corner fd. If we get hammered so be it but at least play we 3 forwards and give it a go these lads are all good forwards and are wasted in these positions. I am not saying we are a top 4 team but we are better then this.

SheridansTry (Meath) - Posts: 180 - 18/06/2017 19:39:05    2001326

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Lies.
Graham was injured in Tue eve , and this will be confirmed over next couple of days."
Take your word on it then ! Shouldn't have played then ! Obviously not his fault in fairness he was just trying to help the team ! If he was injured then he deserves some slack! Hopefully he will be filly fit for the next game so !

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 18/06/2017 19:52:13    2001335

Link

RD, I know you're not into soccer but there was a player called Payet at West Ham for the 2015 & 2016 seasons. He was PL POTY. He scored some great goals but after a while he didn't want to play for them anymore and he went on strike (maybe he was homesick) and was subsequently moved/sold on. They even had a mural of him at the ground which they have had to replace. So he went from hero to villian in no time.

Yesterday was Meath's most important game of the season and where was Biggy (team captain). He might as well have been on Bettystown beach in the glorious sunshine. It asks serious questions of his character. What is his scoring record like against Monaghan or Tyrone. I remember he was dropped for one of those games or at least didn't start it. It seems that when the going gets tough, against the more organised and physical teams he goes missing (and when needed most).

GlasagusOr (Meath) - Posts: 1348 - 18/06/2017 19:53:14    2001338

Link

And if Biggy was carrying an injury he shouldn't have played full stop (captain or otherwise). Did he signal to the bench early on that he wasn't right? If ANY player isn't 100% fit, it is selfish of them to play instead of a teammate. What is in the team's best interests should be of paramount importance.

GlasagusOr (Meath) - Posts: 1348 - 18/06/2017 20:17:04    2001351

Link

How come any time Meath lose the debate turns to biggie?

bert09 (Meath) - Posts: 1790 - 18/06/2017 20:30:20    2001362

Link

A team captain should set the example, not go missing. Menton was the one who took the initiative and did what captains do. And if the kickouts were more direct rather than hanging in the air, he would have done better at midfield despite been totally outnumbered. ROC set a good example when he came on and I think he might have got some rough treatment to try and limit his effectiveness.

GlasagusOr (Meath) - Posts: 1348 - 18/06/2017 20:45:15    2001367

Link

Replying To bert09:  "How come any time Meath lose the debate turns to biggie?"
Many more important issues that graham yesterday ! Just some people not being realistic yesterday ! Biggest problems in my opinion yesterday were

1.No game plan one minute were kicking in hail Mary passes to small men next think were running into trouble
2.Midfield destroyed won very little breaking ball
3.Kick outs were poor
4.Backs left one on one cleaned out
5.Wrong team picked
6.Terrible decision making on the ball
7.lack of his hunger

I could go on..

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 18/06/2017 20:45:16    2001368

Link

Should he have played? No. But then hindsight is 20/20 vision.
Did he tell Andy the pain he was in ? Doubtful
Is that selfish? Hard to know, every player wants play every game, but they have to think of the bigger picture. A Kildare player yesterday went for a ball with graham slightly infront of him, not only did he best graham to ball he got it and managed to sprint away. That regardless of if he is having a bad game or not would not happen unless its physical problem, I think even his biggest critics could admit that.
Anyway this h is what I have been reliably informed from those who would know that he picked up knock on Tue, was assessed well before game and deemed fit, so it would appear he aggravated it early in game or it never cleared up properly.
Would it have made a difference to result? Emphatically no. One man doesn't make a team no matter how good they are.
Move on to next game, while we dreamed of beating Dublin it probably wouldn't have happened ( even though I would have convinced myself we would win) the last 8 was and must still be the goal.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 18/06/2017 20:49:39    2001374

Link

I don't know, maybe when he has a bad game Meath lose.
Its also a anti cilles thing , Flynn was never liked either.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 18/06/2017 20:51:17    2001376

Link

This is what GG said only a few days ago ...

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-football/1143714/meath-should-beat-kildare-by-three-or-four-points-with-graham-reilly-leading-the-way/

Oh dear.

GlasagusOr (Meath) - Posts: 1348 - 18/06/2017 20:57:04    2001379

Link

It also seems that some Meath people are happy to get beat just so they can whinge, or say I told you so.
Honestly 31 counties are delighted Meath got beat yesterday but in their bile and vitriol they are been helped by Meath supporters too, taking swipes at their players manager captain anything, and the anti Meath crowd are loving it and laughing at those dissing their own.
The say there are none so blind .

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 18/06/2017 21:29:24    2001409

Link

Its easy to blame 1 player. When he doesnt play well we do lose. We do have good forwards but not used properly and too much responsility is on him. No one should slate him he had a bad game and got subbed off end of. Why dont people focus on midfied getting slautered or our backs conceding 5 goals in 2 games ?

SheridansTry (Meath) - Posts: 180 - 18/06/2017 21:31:05    2001411

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "I don't know, maybe when he has a bad game Meath lose.
Its also a anti cilles thing , Flynn was never liked either."
Get a grip RD, it has nothing to do with the Cilles.

Barney123 (Meath) - Posts: 676 - 18/06/2017 21:39:16    2001419

Link

Because Biggie is probably our best player. Him or Keoghan. If we're gonna be good we need Biggie playing well, Against big teams he doesn't. In 16 championship games against Offaly, Laois, Louth, Wicklow, Carlow, Wexford, Westmeath he's scored 2-52 and we've won 12 In 16 games against Dublin, Kildare, Galway, Tyrone, Armagh, Derry he's scored 0-22. When the going gets tough Biggie does not get going. That is why it becomes a Biggie debate. I understand against better team you get less ball and will score less. But to score 1-30 less in big games than in small games is crazy.

LeitrimRoyal99 (Meath) - Posts: 1454 - 18/06/2017 22:05:18    2001439

Link

Replying To LeitrimRoyal99:  "Because Biggie is probably our best player. Him or Keoghan. If we're gonna be good we need Biggie playing well, Against big teams he doesn't. In 16 championship games against Offaly, Laois, Louth, Wicklow, Carlow, Wexford, Westmeath he's scored 2-52 and we've won 12 In 16 games against Dublin, Kildare, Galway, Tyrone, Armagh, Derry he's scored 0-22. When the going gets tough Biggie does not get going. That is why it becomes a Biggie debate. I understand against better team you get less ball and will score less. But to score 1-30 less in big games than in small games is crazy."
Its not that crazy... He is up against better players, and he will naturally have less opportunities. Its logical that he will score less. Granted, yesterday was freakish how much he was out of the game.. Its not possible but, Id love to see his running stats for the game if they had them, he definitely covered less ground than normal. You can do the running no matter who you are up against.

TobinsBeard (Meath) - Posts: 125 - 18/06/2017 22:17:50    2001444

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "It also seems that some Meath people are happy to get beat just so they can whinge, or say I told you so.
Honestly 31 counties are delighted Meath got beat yesterday but in their bile and vitriol they are been helped by Meath supporters too, taking swipes at their players manager captain anything, and the anti Meath crowd are loving it and laughing at those dissing their own.
The say there are none so blind ."
Bit rich coming from a guy who still spews nothing but bile and vitriol at our last manager even though he's been out of the job for almost a year now. Is he not also "one of our own"?
You've also come out stating that some players yesterday are not intercounty standard. That's your opinion and you are more than entitled to it, but can I ask why you feel you're entitled to criticize certain players yet when other posters criticize, you resort to personal insults and petty digs like claiming posters want Meath to lose? Why the double standard?
I would genuinely like an answer to this.

Ratoath Royal (Meath) - Posts: 1362 - 18/06/2017 22:20:17    2001448

Link