Meath Forum

Meath v Kildare Semi-final

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To ziggy32001:  "in a nutshell,support runs were poor today. hard to get my head around why that was the case."
I'm sure Andy is scratching his head too... Maybe the occasion got to a few of the lads.. Kildare were WIDE open down the middle a few times in the first half. And we just didn't take advantage.. I know we are better than that.

TobinsBeard (Meath) - Posts: 125 - 18/06/2017 00:36:57    2000905

Link

I think the reaction to this game and some of the remarks made about Andy are a little over board. This is the same Kildare team that we're absolutely useless last year and it's also O'Neills third year in charge versus Andy's 6 months.

One of the positives I think that can be taken from the game are, I can see some of the passengers in the team being removed from the squad. Some are clearly not intercounty standard, the positive here being is we seen how hungry and determined O'Coilean and J McEntee were in comparison. Very impressed with ROC.

Kildare we're very impressive at midfield they cleaned us out in the first half when they had a very strong wind, Menton played well I thought but he badly needed help

Uncle_Fester (Meath) - Posts: 217 - 18/06/2017 00:37:47    2000906

Link

Replying To Ratoath Royal:  "Ah, so not a single person can criticize Biggy when he goes missing in a big game but you get carte blanche to "put the boot in" to other players? Fact is, if Biggy is a truly great player (and he can be) he simply should not get marked out of big games like this evening.
Fact is, regardless of how good Andy is a manager (and I do think he is a good manager), the players simply are not there. If it was 12 months ago and this evening's performance was produced under MOD, you would be spitting feathers. At least have the decency to admit that! Now though, you sound like Comical Ali saying everything is fine even though we've been trounced by Kildare in two games this season.

On today's game, COS I think just got completely frustrated and tried to do everything himself. He was one of the few that actually gave 100% until he went off injured. I don't know what we were playing at with our full forward line to be honest. Our half forward line was completely non existent and hail Mary balls were played into Lenehan and McMahon giving them no chance. Kildare always had two or three players free to mop up the ball.

Kildare were good but I think Andy has to take at least some of the blame for that result today."
Totally agree !! Couldn't have said it better myself

grahamc9897 (Meath) - Posts: 1174 - 18/06/2017 00:38:34    2000907

Link

I'd love to see Newman play the next game, himself and lenihan would compliment each other well, o'caoilean also has to start, McMahon and Wallace would be the ones to lose out unfortunately, as far as our backs go there is a lot of players I like that aren't on this panel, Anthony forde and Shane melia are brilliant half backs, I also like Jordan mcgloughlin a lot, would love to see these guys on the panel next year

redser123 (Meath) - Posts: 402 - 18/06/2017 00:40:37    2000908

Link

Man we are hopeless. Jonesy is young lad and it just goes to show how desperate we have got that we are running youngsters like Conlon, Jonesy and O Reilly and expect them to play like seasoned experienced footballers. Yes we don't have a great pick but it does not say much about the management that they did not see what was coming from this Kildare side. Christ Louth are not remotely in same League as Kildare and to go trying to run the ball into a far more physically imposing team like Kildare and to couple that with running youngsters like Jonesy shows up very serious management flaws ye ask me. It's easy to win when ye have players like Andy had in Ballyboden. For me he needs to get a grip quick as he must have lost his notes on the League performance against Kildare when they stuffed Meath too.

Talking_Sense (Meath) - Posts: 209 - 18/06/2017 02:09:22    2000929

Link

Ffs lads. Don't be blaming the lad who stood up today and was your most dangerous player...ye were giving out about him at the match too!

LilySavage (Kildare) - Posts: 114 - 18/06/2017 02:48:07    2000930

Link

This was possibly the worse Meath effort in many years . Ratoath players not Jo to it at this level along with many others . I suspect that the
McAntee brothers know their football well enough to know that this group of players are not going to enhance their reputations and think they will call it a day sooner rather than later . The Meath club championship should go ahead now and all players released back to their clubs immediately . This intercom ty journey is a lost cause ,but club games might bring a bit of enthusiasm back to a jaded lot .

noluso (Meath) - Posts: 164 - 18/06/2017 08:51:11    2000950

Link

From an outside perspective, Gaa supporters around the country have been waiting for Meath and Kildare to mount a serious charge on Dublin for years and this looked like the year to do so. On tonight's performance, Kildare are two years ahead in their development. Meath badly need to get to div1 to figure out for themselves what it takes to cope with the big boys. Monaghan had to yoyo for years between div1&2 and it's served us well. It takes time. It will only happen with the right aptitude and know your place and what you need to do.

On the game itself, the basics were missing...
- No kick out strategy. Kicking long played in to their hands. This is crazy and distrusted your own gameplan.
- Backs exposed one on one for the entire game. Your half forwards came back to pick up loose ball, not to tackle or lend a hand. Shur I could do that!!,!
- Game passed by too many players. You have to get in to a game like this not waiting for it to come to you. Biggy should have gone to the half back line to collect one ball just to get on it and make plays, build confidence etc.
- tackling looked poor, mainly because you were tackling individually and not supporting in groups.
- Management should have had a plan to stop Kildare, they looked solely focused on the Meath game plan.
- Lastly and most unforgiving of all - it looked like you were playing together for the first time. No cohesion, no teamwork, workrate, no leaders, no character, nobody wanted to take control of the sinking ship. Hard work trumps everything so if the players only bothered to put their bodies on the line and show their anger and frustrating by trying harder, the score (not the result) would have been different. Players body language suggested "not my man...I did my job....it wasn't my fault".

If the players can sit down and take ownership and responsibility for that performance this morning it's a quick fix but if they need to be told - it could be a long road ahead. Best of luck lads. Gaa needs a strong Meath team.

GerryD (Monaghan) - Posts: 335 - 18/06/2017 09:10:57    2000954

Link

Replying To noluso:  "This was possibly the worse Meath effort in many years . Ratoath players not Jo to it at this level along with many others . I suspect that the
McAntee brothers know their football well enough to know that this group of players are not going to enhance their reputations and think they will call it a day sooner rather than later . The Meath club championship should go ahead now and all players released back to their clubs immediately . This intercom ty journey is a lost cause ,but club games might bring a bit of enthusiasm back to a jaded lot ."
The mcentees are not quitters

bert09 (Meath) - Posts: 1790 - 18/06/2017 09:23:45    2000959

Link

Replying To GerryD:  "From an outside perspective, Gaa supporters around the country have been waiting for Meath and Kildare to mount a serious charge on Dublin for years and this looked like the year to do so. On tonight's performance, Kildare are two years ahead in their development. Meath badly need to get to div1 to figure out for themselves what it takes to cope with the big boys. Monaghan had to yoyo for years between div1&2 and it's served us well. It takes time. It will only happen with the right aptitude and know your place and what you need to do.

On the game itself, the basics were missing...
- No kick out strategy. Kicking long played in to their hands. This is crazy and distrusted your own gameplan.
- Backs exposed one on one for the entire game. Your half forwards came back to pick up loose ball, not to tackle or lend a hand. Shur I could do that!!,!
- Game passed by too many players. You have to get in to a game like this not waiting for it to come to you. Biggy should have gone to the half back line to collect one ball just to get on it and make plays, build confidence etc.
- tackling looked poor, mainly because you were tackling individually and not supporting in groups.
- Management should have had a plan to stop Kildare, they looked solely focused on the Meath game plan.
- Lastly and most unforgiving of all - it looked like you were playing together for the first time. No cohesion, no teamwork, workrate, no leaders, no character, nobody wanted to take control of the sinking ship. Hard work trumps everything so if the players only bothered to put their bodies on the line and show their anger and frustrating by trying harder, the score (not the result) would have been different. Players body language suggested "not my man...I did my job....it wasn't my fault".

If the players can sit down and take ownership and responsibility for that performance this morning it's a quick fix but if they need to be told - it could be a long road ahead. Best of luck lads. Gaa needs a strong Meath team."
100% spot on Gerry.

I expect Andy to shoulder some of the blame for this one.

bert09 (Meath) - Posts: 1790 - 18/06/2017 09:30:31    2000964

Link

Disappointed. Quite simply outclassed and outplayed by a hungrier and smarter team.

We simply never got going. But that said Kildare were excellent on the night. Eoin Doyle marshaled the defence brilliantly, ably assisted by Mick O'Grady. I thought the springboard to the Kildare victory was their half back line and middle sector. Our 4 half forwards (because Graham Reilly played out there) were extremely poor playing 2nd fiddle to their counterparts. Doyle got the best of COS, who did get on a lot of ball but keeps running into cul-de-sacs bringing the ball into contact. He needs to lift his head! Eamon Wallace & James Toher were simly exposed by their markers, in particular Keith Cribben who kept getting forward. Graham Reilly was NOT marked out of the match. He was just poor. His marker Ollie Lyons got forward to assist on countless occasions.

As a result, and aided by Kevin Feely in midfield (who exposed young Ronan Jones' rawness) the kildare springboard exploited our weaknesses in defense. Donal Keoghan and Donnacha Tobin were below par and struggled with Daniel Flynn and Cathal McNally's movement. Their lateral running was wonderful. Conor McGill did well on Paddy Brophy but I would have moved him onto Flynn to curb his influence. As a result our defence was under pressure constantly. I thought Mucky Burke wasn't as poor as some people are saying, as he cancelled Niall Kelly out but Kelly seemed out of sorts.

For me, only Bryan Menton particularly in 2nd half, McGill, Donal Lenihan and Ruiari O'Caoilian played anywhere near their potential. Granted COS, Harnan and both McEntee's tried tirelessly but just were bettered on the night by hungrier fitter players who played with great desire and swagger.

Overall consistency is Meath's issue. We aren't as good as Louth match (as they were poor) but not good enough for division 1 standard yet, as evident last night. Somewhere in between. A run in qualifiers to quarters or so, is not unrealistic.

David (Meath) - Posts: 567 - 18/06/2017 09:40:31    2000970

Link

Kildare surprised me with that display, they are a serious team with a some strong fast men, great midfield, some top forwards, they may beat Dublin the next day if they can keep their heads. Bad match from Meath, after the way we finished the league I was amazed we were this far off the pace. Reilly has great ability but never seems to do it when really needed. Despite what happened yesterday evening I still think having Andy McEntee is an improvement on what went before, supporters need to remember our season is not over, we can still get a few wins in the qualifiers for the first time in a while.

bdbuddah (Meath) - Posts: 1337 - 18/06/2017 09:42:20    2000971

Link

Replying To tackleberry:  "I take your point on a lot of the mentioned, but how could you say Mickey Burke got cleaned?? Niall Kelly was very quiet for his standards, possibly scoreless? Burke was centre back in most of game.
Menton to be fair really stood up today and played well.
I know biggy was marked out of it,and don't get me wrong,think he is a super player, but I don't buy it as a reason to be found wanting just because he's been marked tightly. We need him to stand up and be counted,he is our best forward. Think that's the difference between biggy and the top top inter county players. The Micheal Murphy's, Conor McManuss and cillian o Connors of the game, find a way to get playing football when the going gets tough"
Sorry to totally clarify I didn't mean to include burke in that. One of the better players by some distance, and many wanted him dropped. That was wrote on phone, and it remember constant writing so after I write Tobin 'and burke ' come up and I just hit them, without checking. Totally agree with your evaluation.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 18/06/2017 09:46:40    2000973

Link

Replying To meath1977:  "good name for yourself ss6 because you talk SHIT"
Total and utter at Tha too.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 18/06/2017 09:47:15    2000975

Link

Replying To Jinxie:  "I dunno I thought lenihan done well with the brutal supply. He had a couple of bad wides in the second half that I think were due to frustration.
Wouldn't be too hard on Burke either, he was trying to plug holes in a sinking ship.
Wallace and tobin, I completely agree. Was surprised to see Wallace last till half time.

Biggy wasn't near 100% tonight for whatever reason. That's the first time I've ever been at a game where he has not had a single shot. Yet he has the opportunity to shoot on several occasions from well within his range. Made no sense to me.

Conlon showed drive when he came on and o'cuillean was very good. Harnan was probably the pick of the backs."
Yeah Burke shouldn't have been included in my original posts. After long time waiting in car park and getting home late with kids tired etc I didn't see I included him, him and menton the two best players. Yeah perhaps I am been too harsh on lenihan as he had a few snap shots out of frustration, you are right also on biggie I couldn't understand why he didn't let in a few that were well within his range, (maybe injured I dont know, ) keoghan kept rubbing his leg too, the two players you expect to stand up didn't.
If there is one positive it was Rory oc , this lad has some future,

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 18/06/2017 09:53:34    2000979

Link

Replying To grahamc9897:  "Get the boot in? Proved correct more like it ! You were on here proclaiming his greatness against Louth remember it works both ways !"
Good to see you are a true supporter.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 18/06/2017 09:55:20    2000980

Link

I was at the match last night, and had been at the Louth match too. I just wanted to say that there was one Meath player who didn't try last night, and as someone who has been going to and supporting Meath since I was a child (even though I'm from Wexford), I just couldn't believe it. He never made a single proper run off the ball, never broke into a sprint in the match at all. He wasn't marked out of the game. He just stood around the 45 and never bothered to get involved in the match. I couldn't believe the management left him out there until finally using their last sub to take him off.

On the other hand, O'Sullivan did an unreal amount of work in the game, even winning kickouts for Meath without exactly being the biggest player on the field. He carried, ran hard, and was really the only threat Meath had for most of the game. And yet the things the Meath supporters around me said about him! Far more abuse than the player who wasn't interested in playing. It was really a case of it being better in the eyes of those "supporters" to do nothing than to try and make some mistakes. Most of the time O'Sullivan's problem was that he had noone to give the ball to, nobody making a good run to help him.

Other than that, there is actually the bones of a very good Meath team there. I was impressed with the backline last night after they had been porous against Louth, there were very few goal chances last night, and the one Kildare did get was a clear pull on the Meath corner back that should have been a free out. Menton is very good but needs another midfielder with him, one who can catch a kickout. I'd still keep Jones but I'd put him in the half-forward line where O'Coilean should start too. Neither McEntee, Toher or Wallace can be starters in my opinion. The kickouts was where all the trouble started for Meath, and to blame O'Rourke I think would be unfair. Meath literally had only one option, Menton, and he was marked well by the Kildare lads. I think Meath will get a lot better, this is the best Meath team I've seen for a few years and I think they'll improve loads.

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2550 - 18/06/2017 10:13:08    2000987

Link

Replying To TobinsBeard:  "I'm sure the plan was the exact same as the plan was against Louth.. It worked great against Louth, lots of support runners running off the shoulder at angles into the space and kicking lovely points.. Today the runs weren't there, and the whole thing fell apart and turned into an omnishambles. So you end up with one lad in the forward line and nothing happening.... Meath looked gassed. I coudln't believe the difference. Against louth graham reilly collected the ball in the middle, turned his man, and put ten yards on the poor sod, while soloing the ball .. Today,, a couple of times , Kildare defenders sprinted away from him WITH the ball and made him look like an oul fella who just had a hip replacement. Reilly is a better footballer than that, he just didnt show it today. Along with most of his team-mates."
Agreed.
Firstly the reason I have not highlighted the mistakes made by Andy I some Muppets on here are only waiting on this to say this that or the other, I think half of them are dubs in disguise.
Anyway the first and in my opinion the greatest mistake made yesterday was the intense warm up, I was down that end of terraces I watched it all, the heat was immense and lads were sweating buckets, a light warm up was all that was needed, I didn't watch Kildare but I doubt it was as hectic as ours. Lads were wrecked leaving field. Before the ball was thrown in, Wallace should have been subned 10 mins into game, it wasn't going to be his day.
These are genuine questions for management, I have little doubt they will be addressed, Andy cant put ball over bar, but he had a bad day on sideline yesterday too, but he is still a fantastic manager who can make us competitive again. Learning curve for him too.
Hon the Royal

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 18/06/2017 10:17:57    2000992

Link

Replying To icehonesty:  "I was at the match last night, and had been at the Louth match too. I just wanted to say that there was one Meath player who didn't try last night, and as someone who has been going to and supporting Meath since I was a child (even though I'm from Wexford), I just couldn't believe it. He never made a single proper run off the ball, never broke into a sprint in the match at all. He wasn't marked out of the game. He just stood around the 45 and never bothered to get involved in the match. I couldn't believe the management left him out there until finally using their last sub to take him off.

On the other hand, O'Sullivan did an unreal amount of work in the game, even winning kickouts for Meath without exactly being the biggest player on the field. He carried, ran hard, and was really the only threat Meath had for most of the game. And yet the things the Meath supporters around me said about him! Far more abuse than the player who wasn't interested in playing. It was really a case of it being better in the eyes of those "supporters" to do nothing than to try and make some mistakes. Most of the time O'Sullivan's problem was that he had noone to give the ball to, nobody making a good run to help him.

Other than that, there is actually the bones of a very good Meath team there. I was impressed with the backline last night after they had been porous against Louth, there were very few goal chances last night, and the one Kildare did get was a clear pull on the Meath corner back that should have been a free out. Menton is very good but needs another midfielder with him, one who can catch a kickout. I'd still keep Jones but I'd put him in the half-forward line where O'Coilean should start too. Neither McEntee, Toher or Wallace can be starters in my opinion. The kickouts was where all the trouble started for Meath, and to blame O'Rourke I think would be unfair. Meath literally had only one option, Menton, and he was marked well by the Kildare lads. I think Meath will get a lot better, this is the best Meath team I've seen for a few years and I think they'll improve loads."
A good post but adding to it, our tatics especially when chasing game left a lot to be desired.

seadog54 (Meath) - Posts: 2135 - 18/06/2017 10:28:36    2000996

Link

Will the club championship matches fixed for the next few weeks go ahead ? I hope we are not subjected to having this bunch of county players Molly coddled and minded like they have been before this Kildare effort . They look like they need to be rejuvenated in the club scene to rekindle their bottle . Also is Paddy O Rourke a good enough thinker for the present game . His kick outs are a throwback to the sixties . We knew going into this game that the Kildare midfield would dominate on 50/50 kicks outs ....or did Andy not see this ...or was POR not capable of carrying out the plan if there was one ? By the way ,the ref had an outstanding game although I heard some of our supporters whinging on the terrace looking for black and red cards ....not the Meath way boys and girls ....just get on with it !

noluso (Meath) - Posts: 164 - 18/06/2017 10:34:41    2000998

Link