Meath Forum

Meath v Kildare Semi-final

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Stoney's attitude and commitment is brilliant. Very underestimated alright. That said, bigger faster pitches don't suit him anymore, especially if selected in the corner. Micky did nothing wrong again on Sunday and for me should hold his jersey.

David (Meath) - Posts: 567 - 05/06/2017 23:49:07    1995336

Link

Replying To bdbuddah:  "I think what Burke brings to the team is very underrated. Due to his work rate, attitude and fitness when other Meath players are under pressure (with opposition players around) countless times Burke is the only Meath player available to take a hand pass. He has some engine on him. Personally I like to see him picking up a man out the field a bit as this allows him to play to his strength's."
Not really sure if Mickey Burke did anything wrong. But he looked avg. One of things that lets Mickey dont if he rarely sets up an attack, Always seem to take the easy option and passes the ball side ways. But there is nothing wrong with him commitment or attitude.

bobkarlgees (Meath) - Posts: 1263 - 06/06/2017 10:28:09    1995422

Link

Replying To Richieq:  "20'000 on the nose"
I like Tullamore as a ground but in this case not sure it will have enough capacity so maybe not the right choice, Meath and Kildare can draw big crowds/ game not on RTE. Portlaoise I think is a fair bit bigger (I think but not sure of exact capacity?), may have been a better option.

bdbuddah (Meath) - Posts: 1348 - 06/06/2017 10:53:17    1995439

Link

Replying To bobkarlgees:  "Not really sure if Mickey Burke did anything wrong. But he looked avg. One of things that lets Mickey dont if he rarely sets up an attack, Always seem to take the easy option and passes the ball side ways. But there is nothing wrong with him commitment or attitude."
Fair point but in his favour Burke, due to his engine and fitness,much more than other players on the team is the one available to take a handpass off a player who is under pressure (this usually prevents the other player from being dispossessed or giving a free away for over carrying). He is not in any way a flashy player but he does make a positive contribution to the team in this way.

bdbuddah (Meath) - Posts: 1348 - 06/06/2017 11:02:15    1995448

Link

I worry about donnacha tobin at corner back. An exceptionally good footballer but he's being asked to do a job Im not sure he's Comfortable with. Kildare ff line is good.

southmeathgael (Meath) - Posts: 888 - 06/06/2017 11:41:07    1995479

Link

Replying To bdbuddah:  "I like Tullamore as a ground but in this case not sure it will have enough capacity so maybe not the right choice, Meath and Kildare can draw big crowds/ game not on RTE. Portlaoise I think is a fair bit bigger (I think but not sure of exact capacity?), may have been a better option."
Agreed, this game should be played in Croke Park. I have nothing against Tullamore as it's one of the best provincial grounds in the country but I believe both Kildare and Meath are capable of pulling a big crowd on Saturday week as hype starts to build in both counties. Unfortunately unlikely to happen as this game is down for live coverage by Sky so tv money will come first ahead of supporters' wishes.

Greenwood (Meath) - Posts: 210 - 06/06/2017 12:03:52    1995496

Link

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but for me a packed Tullamore is way better than even a half-full Croke Park. Tullamore is my favourite regional ground that is relatively close to home. The place has a better vibe for me than Portlaoise.

GlasagusOr (Meath) - Posts: 1348 - 06/06/2017 13:25:39    1995563

Link

Personally I'd prefer a jam packed O'Connor Park than a quarter full Croke Park. I'd doubt it if there would be much more than 20000 at it in Croke Park.
Tullamore is a cracking ground.

Ratoath Royal (Meath) - Posts: 1362 - 06/06/2017 13:37:44    1995573

Link

Replying To southmeathgael:  "I worry about donnacha tobin at corner back. An exceptionally good footballer but he's being asked to do a job Im not sure he's Comfortable with. Kildare ff line is good."
probably our weakest line,generally prefer tobin further out the field.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 06/06/2017 13:39:42    1995578

Link

Replying To GlasagusOr:  "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but for me a packed Tullamore is way better than even a half-full Croke Park. Tullamore is my favourite regional ground that is relatively close to home. The place has a better vibe for me than Portlaoise."
Agreed. Can't see this being a complete sellout either. If people are worried about securing a ticket then get on it this week and no one will be disappointed.

MarkMyWords (Meath) - Posts: 498 - 06/06/2017 13:55:37    1995594

Link

Replying To Ratoath Royal:  "Personally I'd prefer a jam packed O'Connor Park than a quarter full Croke Park. I'd doubt it if there would be much more than 20000 at it in Croke Park.
Tullamore is a cracking ground."
I think this is where Leinster Council fail miserably.. without any effort on their behalf O'Connor Park will sell out for this fixture and I agree will be a much better atmosphere than 20k in Croke Park. But surely with a big marketing drive they could get 40k into Croker. Not so long ago these two counties were able to pull 50-60k supporters. Moreover I believe both sets of supporters believe that their respective sides are building towards a level where they can realistically compete with Dublin again. This cannot come soon enough as the Leinster SFC has lost all it's allure due to Dublin's dominance. But as usual the GAA will take the easy option. Supportes in both counties are getting giddy again with expectation the GAA should be tapping into this....

Greenwood (Meath) - Posts: 210 - 06/06/2017 14:14:38    1995613

Link

Replying To Ratoath Royal:  "Personally I'd prefer a jam packed O'Connor Park than a quarter full Croke Park. I'd doubt it if there would be much more than 20000 at it in Croke Park.
Tullamore is a cracking ground."
Tullamore is my favourite provincial ground and if Meath were playing most Leinster counties in championship it would be ideal but I can this selling out easily (only 20,000 capacity) and people not being able to get tickets to this one.

bdbuddah (Meath) - Posts: 1348 - 06/06/2017 14:16:51    1995614

Link

Replying To Greenwood:  "Agreed, this game should be played in Croke Park. I have nothing against Tullamore as it's one of the best provincial grounds in the country but I believe both Kildare and Meath are capable of pulling a big crowd on Saturday week as hype starts to build in both counties. Unfortunately unlikely to happen as this game is down for live coverage by Sky so tv money will come first ahead of supporters' wishes."
If it were 1997 I would have no objection to croke park.

Unfortunately neither team has the support it once had.

I would have no objection with the replay going g to croke park!

bert09 (Meath) - Posts: 1790 - 06/06/2017 14:18:23    1995618

Link

Replying To bobkarlgees:  "Not really sure if Mickey Burke did anything wrong. But he looked avg. One of things that lets Mickey dont if he rarely sets up an attack, Always seem to take the easy option and passes the ball side ways. But there is nothing wrong with him commitment or attitude."
Leinster GAA had Burke on their team of the week (along with Biggy and James Toher)! Either they're well wide of the mark or people on here are crushingly harsh?

GlasgowRoyal (Meath) - Posts: 293 - 06/06/2017 14:19:31    1995622

Link

Replying To MarkMyWords:  "Agreed. Can't see this being a complete sellout either. If people are worried about securing a ticket then get on it this week and no one will be disappointed."
I will be amazed if Meath and Kildare can't draw 20,000 especially with the game not on RTE. Both counties have big populations, both are optimistic that they are improving and there is a big local rivalry and border. If this does not draw a 20,000 crowd its a bad sign for the GAA.

bdbuddah (Meath) - Posts: 1348 - 06/06/2017 14:26:23    1995626

Link

are tickets for the match going to be on tickets.ie? i looked but theyre not on it yet

meathalltheway (Meath) - Posts: 789 - 06/06/2017 14:29:46    1995632

Link

My team for this one?
Same as was named v Louth with one change , toher in for Wallace. This is assuming both McEntee and menton are fit

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 06/06/2017 15:31:21    1995689

Link

Replying To meathalltheway:  "are tickets for the match going to be on tickets.ie? i looked but theyre not on it yet"
Checked myself and not selling them yet. Dont know when they on.sale

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 06/06/2017 15:33:37    1995692

Link

Much prefer to be playing in Croke park love to see Mc Mahon Biggie R'OC and other speedsters in HQ PortLoaise would have been better either better memory there. Don't like Tullamore bad memory's there that Carlow draw game if though we won the replay and the Loais game 2012 also. Hopefully we change our recent history there. I would worry about Tullamore but maybe that's just me. I think we should beat Kildare by 3 or 4 points its not even going to come close to the joke of game in Navan earlier in the year. Where from memory only COS and Biggie played well the rest where poor, Even Donal keoghan was poor been excellent ever since. And as Kildare got off to a 5 to 0 head start then pushed it out 8 pints pints I think we got it back to 4 and Kildare got another goal and that was end of that. I think we will what a crack a Dublin more. Lets face Meath are the only in Leinster that are going to beat them. Maybe not this year but we will make a better go of it.

bobkarlgees (Meath) - Posts: 1263 - 06/06/2017 20:30:34    1995981

Link

Replying To bobkarlgees:  "Much prefer to be playing in Croke park love to see Mc Mahon Biggie R'OC and other speedsters in HQ PortLoaise would have been better either better memory there. Don't like Tullamore bad memory's there that Carlow draw game if though we won the replay and the Loais game 2012 also. Hopefully we change our recent history there. I would worry about Tullamore but maybe that's just me. I think we should beat Kildare by 3 or 4 points its not even going to come close to the joke of game in Navan earlier in the year. Where from memory only COS and Biggie played well the rest where poor, Even Donal keoghan was poor been excellent ever since. And as Kildare got off to a 5 to 0 head start then pushed it out 8 pints pints I think we got it back to 4 and Kildare got another goal and that was end of that. I think we will what a crack a Dublin more. Lets face Meath are the only in Leinster that are going to beat them. Maybe not this year but we will make a better go of it."
Yeah I remember micky burke too in the replay v Laois breaking his leg in Tullamore if memory serves me right, look its very handy for me , its also a nice ground, but I would prefer a game in croke park prior to a meeting with Dublin, just my own personal opinion

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 07/06/2017 08:57:39    1996191

Link