Meath Forum

Meath V Kerry

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

They like to make it heart in mouth stuff, don't they?
Great performance but we really should have had the game killed off and not have been hanging on towards the end. I hope that the players keep up the same level for the coming games. One win may not be enough to survive depending on future results and we have a great chance at making a quarter final.

Ratoath Royal (Meath) - Posts: 1362 - 24/04/2017 08:47:44    1982073

Link

Fantastic performance yesterday and a great day out despite the poor attendance, the people of Meath need to come out and support this team, they really are something special to watch, they fear nobody.
I knew we would beat Kerry yesterday (thanks Paddy Power), I just didn't expect us to do it so easily, as I also predicted we can become vulnerable to last minute goals when tiredness sets in at the back and this is something we need to work on, we've seen it in game after game.
Healy will be a huge loss but fortunately we have the panel to respond, I don't know why Quigley and Kelly were taken off, they were playing out of their skins and the momentum certainly shifted after that. One or two others weren't playing as effectively as they normally do and could have been substituted earlier as they were struggling with their touch and fumbled a few clear chances but that was just on the day.
Can't wait for next Sunday.
An Mhi Abu.

Wedgie (Meath) - Posts: 253 - 24/04/2017 09:20:26    1982087

Link

i feared for them after Kerry got the early goal, responded well from there top the last 10 minutes, the sideline should have reacted better to the situation we founf ourselves in, 13 men behind the ball, wouldnt agree that Kelly was playing out of his skin, you obviously havent seen to much of him if you think hes was that good yesterday cos by hes standards he was very poor.

StickFan (Meath) - Posts: 217 - 24/04/2017 10:33:34    1982121

Link

Replying To numberedjerseys:  "Yes poor crowd maybe 500 or so disappointing seen as no other games on in the county. Fully deserved win but taking off kelly and quigley bit of a joke as they were the main men in taking game to Kerry and once they went Kerry got back onto game and only for mcgann it could have been a bad luck story but they got away with it"
ah it wasnt a bad crowd now in fairness i was actually pleasantly surprised at the numbers in PT yesterday.. hopefully the numbers will increase for next sunday.. but we cant start the same way we did yesterday by giving them a goal inside 15 seconds...but overall we were the better team and dug out the result happy days

srgt_slaughter (Meath) - Posts: 462 - 24/04/2017 10:35:25    1982123

Link

Replying To numberedjerseys:  "Yes poor crowd maybe 500 or so disappointing seen as no other games on in the county. Fully deserved win but taking off kelly and quigley bit of a joke as they were the main men in taking game to Kerry and once they went Kerry got back onto game and only for mcgann it could have been a bad luck story but they got away with it"
ah it wasnt a bad crowd now in fairness i was actually pleasantly surprised at the numbers in PT yesterday.. hopefully the numbers will increase for next sunday.. but we cant start the same way we did yesterday by giving them a goal inside 15 seconds...but overall we were the better team and dug out the result happy days

srgt_slaughter (Meath) - Posts: 462 - 24/04/2017 13:08:15    1982189

Link

PEOPLE OF MEATH OUR HURLERS NEED YOUR SUPPORT

That is the message that needs to go out this week, I was in the Terraemonstrated no mor so thce and the stand was only half full with a sprinkle beside me.
The team did us all proud yesterday , The level of fitness was great and this demonstrated by Alan Fords run at the end of the match. What a run !ac
The team reacted to the early goal set back with patience and lets face it hurled a lovely brand of skillful hurling.
It was great day in Navan yesterday, what value for a tenner !!

gardentree (Meath) - Posts: 194 - 24/04/2017 13:44:22    1982207

Link

Replying To StickFan:  "i feared for them after Kerry got the early goal, responded well from there top the last 10 minutes, the sideline should have reacted better to the situation we founf ourselves in, 13 men behind the ball, wouldnt agree that Kelly was playing out of his skin, you obviously havent seen to much of him if you think hes was that good yesterday cos by hes standards he was very poor."
from what i have seen of the hurlers they just don't panic...

is the game against laois saturday or sunday?

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 24/04/2017 16:55:23    1982282

Link

Thought dropping Joey back after Healy got injured made the difference he absolutely cleaned up. Shane Nolan is an unreal player for kerry and if he gets the ball he will do damage so sweeper was best option. As for kelly he was poor by his standards but thought Quigley was going well. Read in some online paper there was less than 1000 at it. I was in the stand and thought it was packed but looking at the chronicle live on Facebook it wasn't. I just hope more people go nxt week because they are brilliant to watch. Bring on Laois

billyjack24 (Meath) - Posts: 40 - 24/04/2017 17:45:11    1982300

Link

what a great win for the royal hurlers..im not surprised though..living up here myself ive seen the progression theyve been making. there is great potential in this county. no reason at all why laois cant be put to the sword too on sunday. not sure the attendences will improve, there is usually no one go to support the waterford footballers. roll on the royals..well done to all involved.

juniorjudge (Waterford) - Posts: 383 - 24/04/2017 19:37:45    1982333

Link

I'd have thought there was about at most 1000 there alright. The side I sat was filled enough, but looking at the O'Mahony's side of the stand there were a lot more empty seats.

CastleBravo (Meath) - Posts: 1643 - 24/04/2017 19:47:36    1982335

Link

Replying To Royalio11:  "I'm a football supporter and went to support Meath today because of their exploits in the Christy Ring last year and league victory this year.

I am shocked at the turn out today and lack of respet shown to this Meath team.

I'm not jumping on the bandwagon - but these guys represent the county and fully deserve support in these round robin fixtures after a 13 year hiatus"
This. I felt I couldn't but attend after the recent achievements of this group. Again, I'm not from a hurling background but I wanted to lend my support to the team.

Really enjoyed the game as it turned out and became more absorbed in it as time passed. The decision to play Keena as a sweeper worked a treat with Kerry shooting into the wind in the first half. They could score from distance in the second which helped reduce the deficit.

Clynch or "Tispin" as I quickly discovered is a really clever hurler. Great in the air and also won the sliotar when at times he had no right to. Great potential in Quigley and Gannon. Presuming they're young because they looked a bit lighter than the rest of the lads!

The likes of Forde and McGowan grew into the game and McGann, the keeper made key saves late on. Very solid all round and the subs made telling contributions too.

As for the crowd, the wooden seating in the stand was half full at best and there was only a scattering in the terrace. We need to support these boys against Laois on Sunday because that'll be a big step up. They're on a high at the minute so let's do our bit to drive them on

MarkMyWords (Meath) - Posts: 498 - 25/04/2017 01:23:55    1982396

Link

These players deserve the support of all GAA people in Meath not just the hurling people in the county.
A very big crowd will show the lads that their hard work is no going unnoticed. Lets fill PT next Sunday, what a buzz the players would get if we could get 5000 into PK next Sunday.
The people from north and east meath should get to this match and see men in green and gold representing them in the leinster hurling championship. Also every man women and child from the hurling areas should be their to support their club mates.
Meath supporters need to stand up and be counted !!!!

What would be your starting 15 for next sunday ??
I would go with the same as last week presuming Healy is fit

gardentree (Meath) - Posts: 194 - 25/04/2017 11:54:02    1982496

Link