Leitrim Forum

Leitrim v Roscommon May 22nd

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Almost a week later, and there is a sense of shock throughout the county about last Sunday's result. The bookies had a 9 point spread so without the sending offs the lads prob would have held up to that. This was on form the 4th /5th best team on form against the 31st best team so the result wasn't as bad as some suggest. I posted prior to the game we would lose and by a decent margin as we are behind the likes of roscommon in terms of development and investment. This improvement in Roscommons fortunes is enviable but down to hard work by their clubs and co board who have worked in tandem to do what's best for their county.
Back to Sunday:
5 things I learned,
Sweeper as employed by Ward does not work. Can't be convinced otherwise.
Only 3 players on Sunday's performance would make Roscommon team; MaGuire, Flynn and maybe Shane Moran.
The fitness level of Leitrim is not good enough.
Mentally our lads are weak, no psychologist working with them as individuals.
Lastly and this one could cause consternation but the present bunch like a lot of players in recent times only care about themselves. I don't see a team spirit where a player will bust a gut for the cause, bust a gut to help a team mate and lastly no real pride in the jersey they wear. MaGuire being the only obvious one that defies that to me. Lads need to shake off the shackles and see where hard work as a unit might bring them. The winning teams all have parties together but it is when they achieve things not when they constantly lose. I see the present team and football wise they are as good as Roscommon but they never look like pushing on to be better as a collective.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 861 - 27/05/2016 13:54:30    1859327

Link

Who we hoping for in qualifiers now?Will ward bring in any lads into the panel with all the injuries in the squad now??

Celticmanor (Leitrim) - Posts: 45 - 28/05/2016 10:03:01    1859504

Link

Would imagine the sensible thing would be to bring in lads especially with the injuries and suspensions but then he poses the risk that lads who have been training with their clubs may be just as fit as those who have been on his panel since October which would not go down well. Anyone know when the draw is being made?

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 01/06/2016 12:11:33    1860482

Link

heard brolly on with this crap scathing mc geeney about the best players not committing to Armagh such as jamie clarke, that is jamie clarke's decision and good luck to him. and good luck to the lad's who cannot commit to play for leitrim for whatever their reasons are, work, family, social etc. Being an inter county footballer is a huge commitment with very little to show for it especially for counties like leitrim. No pint moaning about fellas who aren't playing for leitrim, what about the fella's who are? the most disappointing thing about leitrim in 2016 is the lack of pride in the jersey, very little can be done about the ability of players, a lack of heart is unforgiveable.

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 448 - 01/06/2016 16:01:48    1860575

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "heard brolly on with this crap scathing mc geeney about the best players not committing to Armagh such as jamie clarke, that is jamie clarke's decision and good luck to him. and good luck to the lad's who cannot commit to play for leitrim for whatever their reasons are, work, family, social etc. Being an inter county footballer is a huge commitment with very little to show for it especially for counties like leitrim. No pint moaning about fellas who aren't playing for leitrim, what about the fella's who are? the most disappointing thing about leitrim in 2016 is the lack of pride in the jersey, very little can be done about the ability of players, a lack of heart is unforgiveable."
What about the lads that have the ability but haven't been called up? Presumably because they aren't from Manorhamilton under our current Management structure. There are better lads out there that I know haven't been called up

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 01/06/2016 17:06:36    1860613

Link

To be honest lads I don't know personally what goes on in a county set up but from chatting with lads it seems like most managers are excellent at delegating. Their job is to "manage" the whole operation, looking after players, organising the physios, the weight trainers, coaches, dealing with co. board, dealing with players etc etc.
So my take on this is that blaming Ward for lack of skills, or for lack of game plan may be a little bit unfair. The blame I would attach to him is that he brought in people who are not up to scratch in these areas. But if our game plan is off, if our fitness levels are not where they should be, if our skill levels are poor the manager can't take personal responsibility for this. It is the fitness lads, or the coaches or whoever is in charge of that section of the team. Yes the buck stops with the manager no doubt but it is like blaming the Taoiseach of the day if the Minister for Health is making a mess of the department. Yes he put him there but he cannot be held responsible if he doesn't live up to the job. I know some will say he should get rid of them etc. that is true, but people should be aware that most inter county managers do not train or coach the team- you just have to look at any warm up on big match days- manager is nowhere near it.
So to make a long story shorter, I feel Ward has some blame to take but so do the guys he has in around him. Many are of the opinion that the manager does everything (maybe like at club level) but that is not the reality. Also when you have lads in that are not up to it, how do you get rid?? Hard done I assume. Final question have we anyone else who would even consider the role of coach/selector/trainer? Don't think so, so we cannot fool ourselves lads!

LovelyLeitrim (Leitrim) - Posts: 111 - 02/06/2016 10:05:46    1860784

Link

Have Leitrim a good chance on Sunday lads?

Rossman74 (Roscommon) - Posts: 6 - 14/06/2016 13:37:00    1866613

Link