Leitrim Forum

Leitrim v Roscommon May 22nd

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

This cant go on. 2 tier championship has to be considered in some form.
Jim McGuinness' proposal was the best recommended so far. The reward to effort ratio is out of whack.

Frawnci3 (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 23/05/2016 09:33:37    1857590

Link

It's crazy.
However soemthing needs to be done at club level. League formats need to be changed. Correlation between league and championship. More competitive league means more competitive games all year. Not just a handful at the end of summer.

Why didn't we push up on kick out yesterday and test roscommon's "weak" midfield. Made no sense.

ball girl (Leitrim) - Posts: 194 - 23/05/2016 09:44:47    1857594

Link

Replying To Frawnci3:  "This cant go on. 2 tier championship has to be considered in some form.
Jim McGuinness' proposal was the best recommended so far. The reward to effort ratio is out of whack."
Another humiliating defeat and yet again nothing will change.

Leitrim will prepare for the back door, hope for a good draw and we will be out of the championship after the next game regardless of the draw as we are the worst team in Ireland, lets not deny this.

Our forwards lack quality, even the once classy Mulligan has gone past his best. Our midfield is non existent, a complete change is needed here. Our defence, bar one or two players are very poor, cant tackle and give away way to many frees.

To finish a game with 12 men though is a new low. What kind of discipline do these guys think they have? Train since October to come on and take a man out of it and get a straight red is a disgrace and two black cards along with that. To me it cries out that they have been poorly coached and they are only there making up numbers.

Where do we go from here, well my honest opinion is we no longer compete at senior level until a B championship is set up. The All Ireland series is the most dated, predictable championship in world sport. Its only the All Ireland Semi Finals that you can watch a game where you wont know the outcome beforehand.

I know Reynolds has said last week he has no interest in playing a B championship and Conlon said it last year but how will we ever progress playing Division 1 teams when we are bottom end of Division 4. We need more championship games against teams of our own level.

The most embarrassing thing of all is that Rossies didn't even come out of second gear and they still hammered us, Imagine if they actually tried.

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 23/05/2016 10:01:05    1857606

Link

This is now officially the worst season in Leitrim football history, After getting only 5 scores at home to Carlow to make us the bottom ranked team in the country, We had one last chance to salvage the year and a bit of pride by putting in a credible battling performance yesterday. But the supporters who paid 20 euro in were badly let down by both players and management yesterday. It was an embarrassing day to be a Leitrim man and the great Leitrim-Roscommon rivalry we all loved when we were young is now dead due to the collapse of Leitrim football at all levels, This day is 15 years in the making, due to the failure of Leitrim coaching structures to move with the times as other counties were.
It was such a shambles tactically yesterday and in terms of players attitude, New York pushed up on Roscommon kick outs to force them to kick long and exposed a poor Roscommon midfield, they also cut down the space to Roscommon players all over the field, If you are an underdog this is what you do to try to turn the game into a battle. But no Leitrim didn't follow the New York template, they allowed Roscommon cheap possession in the form of short kick outs who then proceeded to march up the field time and time again unchallenged in the first half and put 1-11 on us. It was galling to watch. The sweeper was such a complete waste of time.
Our kick passing was just about as bad I've ever seen from a county team. If my under 12s or under 14s had kept kicking the ball straight to the opposing team like that I would have had them on the field for the next few weeks kick passing and kick passing to make sure that never happens again. What do we actually do in training, What was shocking was our lack of work rate and intensity, We had players who were doing pretend tackles all over the field instead of properly putting pressure on the Roscommon players. Some did more running in spoof videos before the game than during the game itself. It was disgraceful
Leitrim has not had a decent manager now since Mickey Moran was here and he did a solid job getting us a key Connacht Championship win. Surely its time to appoint someone who can at least get the best out of the players we have and maybe even entice players who won't play to give it a go, We have London and New York trips coming up so that could entice a few back. Look at the job Pete Mc Grath is doing in Fermanagh or Pat Lam in Connacht rugby, Both are working with a limited player base, but with good coaching and systems of play are able to get results way beyond the ability of their players.
Finally on a positive note, word on the street has it that Leitrim are about to adopt a brand new regionalised coaching structure with 6 or 7 full time coaches who will each be responsible for 3 to 5 clubs each and the schools in their areas. This is very similar to the cavan model and has worked great there and it can work here, as long as those coaches employed are of a top standard and are not just box tickers and meet defined goals to improve the standard of coaching and player in the region assigned to them. We all need to get behind this initiative which could see us back competitive within the next decade,

mickyquinn (Leitrim) - Posts: 67 - 23/05/2016 10:24:54    1857614

Link

Mickey quinn,entice players back for New York and London games,great we bring back players so they can get a holiday out of it,fact is lads and I said it ten times we had good managers in before and 2-3 players got rid a him along with Joe flynn,and that was Sean Hagan I thought!!he made a few bad decisions near the end bringing in unfit players but at least he tried,this ward lad has put Leitrim football back again if that's even possible to do,so get rid and get back in a manager that has abit of experience,he won 1 game and all of a sudden he is amazing!!put him as senior manager,we are worst team in Ireland holy god London was as good as us,says enough in itself and its embarrassing!!but I'd like thank players for giving it there all again this year.

Celticmanor (Leitrim) - Posts: 45 - 23/05/2016 11:28:04    1857658

Link

All there's left to look forward to now is the minors game v mayo. I'd imagine our minors woulda put in a better show yesterday

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 23/05/2016 12:18:59    1857678

Link

Leitrim football has definitely hit an all time low. The club scene at a very poor standard. With mulligan Paul Brennan fergal Clancy garry Reynolds all transferred out of the county which would be 4 of the better players it really shows there's very little hope of improvement

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - Posts: 184 - 23/05/2016 12:24:28    1857681

Link

Donegal reached the semi finals of the league division 1. Roscommon reached the semi finals of Division 1. Yet their respective club leagues have played more games than us. Roscommon division 1 have played five games. Donegal's division one - four have played 8 games.

Leitrim who have been out of the contention in division four after a few games have only played 4 games. The answer lies closer to home than most of us think.

How many counties have had the intermediate championship winners follow it up and win the senior championship the following year. Like Melvin Gaels 2011,2012.

Our county final replay last year finished up 1-4 to 0-6. People on here giving out about abysmal forwards. These same forwards could only muster 11 scores in the co final last year. Are they going to improve massively over 7-8 months training with the county.

ball girl (Leitrim) - Posts: 194 - 23/05/2016 12:55:58    1857695

Link

Disappointing day to say the least. Although we were well bet I strangely thought it would be worse and was impressed with some aspects of our play. We won midfield and I thought Wrynn and Moran were brilliant throughout. Kevin Conlan could possibly have been given man of the match he was that good and Michael McWeeney was good at times. However, management have to be questioned again. Murphy should not have been played, clear that he wasn't fit and wasted a sub after 5 mins. As for Reynolds, Injured all year how was he expected to be near championship pace? Gallagher at wing back was strange, he's never played there and also wasn't fit it was bizzare that he wasn't paired with Shine when he did start. O'Donnell and Croal were unfortunately so far off the pace it has to be wondered why Gaffney and Gilheany or Mulvey weren't considered. Then lumping high ball in on Gaffney when he did come on was literally pointless. We needed Kennedy and Mulligan to really hurt them if we were to stand a chance but the Roscommon FB was brilliant on Kennedy and McDermotts runs upfield were to much for Mulligan. McGriskin coming on was a poor decision aswell, clearly not ready for intercounty just yet and bringing on Woods when he's injured is a lack of respect to the rest of the panel. Its clear we need more pace, especially in our half back line as we were destroyed there yesterday. There is a good base of a squad to build around Mulligan, Conlan, Flynn, Wrynn Moran, McWeeney and a few more are able to cope with that standard. Just hope now we get a decent draw in the qualifiers to keep morale for next year.

Bad day for Manor by the way!

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 23/05/2016 13:01:38    1857696

Link

By allowing Ward to continue the county board obviously thinks theres no one better to replace him? Off the tip off my tongue Glen Young, Michael Moyles, Gary Donoghoe Aidan Rooney are all more capable then this present management team and that's just inside the county. There's definitely coaches in either Rosscommon or Cavan that can't get their own county job because of the success that they are having that would take on Leitrim in an effort to prove themselves. Declan Darcy would be the ideal candidate. Clearly capable because of his role in Dublin and would surely inspire all players to join the panel. Even if he couldn't be convinced to take the job surely he could be an advisor for structures or have some involvement. The signs are that the county board are slowly waking up with their proposed new coaching template but it needs to be implemented ASAP with good young energetic coaches. When people see good structures being put in place money will also start to flow so the excuse of a lack of resources would quit. Something small to consider Mohill won last years championship and are clearly the best team in the county at present had two players playing yesterday and Aughawillan won it the year previously and had none starting? Surely in a small county we should be using players from the strongest teams, are they not committing or not being picked?

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 23/05/2016 13:31:13    1857714

Link

Yes Spodo the 4 players you mentioned are a loss to Leitrim club football and there will be a few J1s leaving throughout the county that will further lower the standard.
Just reflecting on the game I saw a picture on this website of the Roscommon Management and then below it a picture of the Leitrim Management and it made me think of the difference of calibre of management set ups. Rossies have Mc Hale, O Donnell & Kevin Mc Stay, 3 lads that have achieved a lot in GAA and they would be allowed manage any team in the country (except Mayo it seems) then we have Shane Ward & Drummond, Shane seemingly got the job on the back of winning an under 21 game and I don't know what Drummond has achieved in the game. Im not trying to be disrespectful but that's a huge difference in managerial quality alone

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 23/05/2016 13:44:20    1857725

Link

Replying To harleys:  "Yes Spodo the 4 players you mentioned are a loss to Leitrim club football and there will be a few J1s leaving throughout the county that will further lower the standard.
Just reflecting on the game I saw a picture on this website of the Roscommon Management and then below it a picture of the Leitrim Management and it made me think of the difference of calibre of management set ups. Rossies have Mc Hale, O Donnell & Kevin Mc Stay, 3 lads that have achieved a lot in GAA and they would be allowed manage any team in the country (except Mayo it seems) then we have Shane Ward & Drummond, Shane seemingly got the job on the back of winning an under 21 game and I don't know what Drummond has achieved in the game. Im not trying to be disrespectful but that's a huge difference in managerial quality alone"
there is no point coming on here and continually complaining, until such time as we are prepared to do something that will change the way we do things in leitrim, county committee meetings have come and gone over the last two years and as we are going from one crisis to another nobody is prepared to call a halt, club delegates need to step up to the plate and demand changes ,the chairman cannot be expected to do this unless he has the backing of the board,there is no doubt that there is huge goodwill amongst leitrim supporters towards our teams but we have to get something in return, if proper structures are in place from the bottom up we can move forward, as a leitrim fanatic we don't expect to win all irelands but genuine effort and commitment to the cause will keep the supporters on board and slowly we can get up to a level where we can go to a game and genuinely feel that we are giving it our best shot

lonelylad (Leitrim) - Posts: 14 - 23/05/2016 16:50:38    1857852

Link

Replying To lonelylad:  "there is no point coming on here and continually complaining, until such time as we are prepared to do something that will change the way we do things in leitrim, county committee meetings have come and gone over the last two years and as we are going from one crisis to another nobody is prepared to call a halt, club delegates need to step up to the plate and demand changes ,the chairman cannot be expected to do this unless he has the backing of the board,there is no doubt that there is huge goodwill amongst leitrim supporters towards our teams but we have to get something in return, if proper structures are in place from the bottom up we can move forward, as a leitrim fanatic we don't expect to win all irelands but genuine effort and commitment to the cause will keep the supporters on board and slowly we can get up to a level where we can go to a game and genuinely feel that we are giving it our best shot"
Leitrim1234 you are totally deluded, such derogatory comments about lads who DID commit to Leitrim football, they deserve respect !

iamawesome (Leitrim) - Posts: 57 - 23/05/2016 17:36:16    1857878

Link

Replying To lonelylad:  "there is no point coming on here and continually complaining, until such time as we are prepared to do something that will change the way we do things in leitrim, county committee meetings have come and gone over the last two years and as we are going from one crisis to another nobody is prepared to call a halt, club delegates need to step up to the plate and demand changes ,the chairman cannot be expected to do this unless he has the backing of the board,there is no doubt that there is huge goodwill amongst leitrim supporters towards our teams but we have to get something in return, if proper structures are in place from the bottom up we can move forward, as a leitrim fanatic we don't expect to win all irelands but genuine effort and commitment to the cause will keep the supporters on board and slowly we can get up to a level where we can go to a game and genuinely feel that we are giving it our best shot"
I'd have to agree with Leitrim 1234. We wern't as bad as it seemed.
I got great heart from the first 10-15minutes and we were in the game for 25..we looked up for it, hassled for every ball and one it back. We really could have done with Mulligans free and McWeeneys miss after a great run. We had belief and the home crowd was gradually being won over. Roscommon were cautios from New York game and were not imposing themselves....But then....
Unforced errors cost us. I counted at least 5 TERRIBLE final passes into the last third. A couple should have been a hand pass but were kicked...over players heads or just way ward.
So frustrating to watch as then Ros came down the field and gradually grew in confidence as we kept giving away passes.
The forwards were there...the passes in were not.
I noted the rossies practicing running in on goal in twos and threes before the game and the goal was exactly that.
We didn't create one goal chane.
The high hopeful balls in with no one coming in support for pass or breaking ball was disappointing.

forget the last few scores because 12 v 15...the final whistle couldn't come quick enough for all of us.

I was very impressed with midfield. That final pass let us down badly. Needs working on..if it's not on, turn back. Also work on the tackle.

crowd
There was a great positive buzz, weather held, the crowds game out. Far better than Galway last year. The jeers for Devaneys wide was the laugh and craic you would miss and I felt we wern't far off the old leitrim chant but the goal put it to bed.

build up
Whilst encouraging young talent is a great thing, I feel the kiltubrid pipe band are great a setting that championship tone / vibe. The young lady laboured through it a bit...maybe the two together but for God's sake fix the PA system...is there a proper one in the whole country??

ref
Probably seemed unfair towards us but I thought he was spot on. Div 1 more refined and disciplined in the tackle.
He did well and was consistant Spotting cynical fouling of pulling or hooking the arm/elbow whilst hand passing.
I feel there is another Wicklow /Laoise year in this team. We'll have plenty of time to talk long term after.
Let us run off some club c'ship games to keep the lads game fit...(Visibly not match fit v Louth last year)
Keep positive lads

Mugatay (Leitrim) - Posts: 72 - 23/05/2016 18:19:10    1857888

Link

Replying To Mugatay:  "I'd have to agree with Leitrim 1234. We wern't as bad as it seemed.
I got great heart from the first 10-15minutes and we were in the game for 25..we looked up for it, hassled for every ball and one it back. We really could have done with Mulligans free and McWeeneys miss after a great run. We had belief and the home crowd was gradually being won over. Roscommon were cautios from New York game and were not imposing themselves....But then....
Unforced errors cost us. I counted at least 5 TERRIBLE final passes into the last third. A couple should have been a hand pass but were kicked...over players heads or just way ward.
So frustrating to watch as then Ros came down the field and gradually grew in confidence as we kept giving away passes.
The forwards were there...the passes in were not.
I noted the rossies practicing running in on goal in twos and threes before the game and the goal was exactly that.
We didn't create one goal chane.
The high hopeful balls in with no one coming in support for pass or breaking ball was disappointing.

forget the last few scores because 12 v 15...the final whistle couldn't come quick enough for all of us.

I was very impressed with midfield. That final pass let us down badly. Needs working on..if it's not on, turn back. Also work on the tackle.

crowd
There was a great positive buzz, weather held, the crowds game out. Far better than Galway last year. The jeers for Devaneys wide was the laugh and craic you would miss and I felt we wern't far off the old leitrim chant but the goal put it to bed.

build up
Whilst encouraging young talent is a great thing, I feel the kiltubrid pipe band are great a setting that championship tone / vibe. The young lady laboured through it a bit...maybe the two together but for God's sake fix the PA system...is there a proper one in the whole country??

ref
Probably seemed unfair towards us but I thought he was spot on. Div 1 more refined and disciplined in the tackle.
He did well and was consistant Spotting cynical fouling of pulling or hooking the arm/elbow whilst hand passing.
I feel there is another Wicklow /Laoise year in this team. We'll have plenty of time to talk long term after.
Let us run off some club c'ship games to keep the lads game fit...(Visibly not match fit v Louth last year)
Keep positive lads"
From looking at the game yesterday I feel sorry for Ward and his backroom team. In fairness he was given the job because it suited Leitrim County Board . It meant that they could save money on having to give a pedigree manager the job as they would have to pay top dollar for his services. I couldn't see Pete Mc Grath one the same expenses as Shane Ward. Leitrim only have to look back and observe where it all went wrong. When George Dugdale and Barry Breen were in charge Leitrim were improving. Until what should never have been entertained with the Leitrim County Board turned there back on two of our own and blamed them for trying to instil discipline. Since then Leitrim Senior team has not improved. If we want to improve open the purse and get a manager with a good previous record and allow him full control of what his needs would be. The County board should take a back seat. Look around at other counties eg Fermanagh. Sligo. Offaly. Louth. Antrim. All of these are no longer Division 4. Most important for Leitrim is promotion from Division 4.

moreinu (Leitrim) - Posts: 10 - 23/05/2016 19:34:05    1857919

Link

Replying To Leitrim1234:  "By allowing Ward to continue the county board obviously thinks theres no one better to replace him? Off the tip off my tongue Glen Young, Michael Moyles, Gary Donoghoe Aidan Rooney are all more capable then this present management team and that's just inside the county. There's definitely coaches in either Rosscommon or Cavan that can't get their own county job because of the success that they are having that would take on Leitrim in an effort to prove themselves. Declan Darcy would be the ideal candidate. Clearly capable because of his role in Dublin and would surely inspire all players to join the panel. Even if he couldn't be convinced to take the job surely he could be an advisor for structures or have some involvement. The signs are that the county board are slowly waking up with their proposed new coaching template but it needs to be implemented ASAP with good young energetic coaches. When people see good structures being put in place money will also start to flow so the excuse of a lack of resources would quit. Something small to consider Mohill won last years championship and are clearly the best team in the county at present had two players playing yesterday and Aughawillan won it the year previously and had none starting? Surely in a small county we should be using players from the strongest teams, are they not committing or not being picked?"
Leitrim1234 you are totally deluded, such derogatory comments about lads who DID commit to Leitrim football, they deserve respect !

iamawesome (Leitrim) - Posts: 57 - 23/05/2016 21:15:36    1857966

Link

I don't think there is anything wrong with calling it as you see it I don't think that's being deluded or disrespectful. Leitrim haven't been good enough this year and football in the county is at an all low there are club teams better organised. What is deluded is the leitrim management and players stating they don't want to be disrespected when we are mentioned as a county that might benefit from competing in a "b" championship.
The players aren't as bad are they have performed this year it's time to get a experienced coach/manager who can get leitrim back to being competitive, that's all we want. The football people in leitrim are realistic we just want better than we have been getting. Ward was quick to have a pop at the no show from supporters and people on social media after the one positive result we had all year.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 24/05/2016 09:35:18    1858001

Link

Leitrim football has definitely hit an all time low. The club scene at a very poor standard. With mulligan Paul Brennan fergal Clancy garry Reynolds all transferred out of the county which would be 4 of the better players it really shows there's very little hope of improvement

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - Posts:40 - 23/05/2016 12:24:28 1857681

Reynolds has had a short enough year in the Championship with Oliver Plunketts and Leitrim. He may eat a few more spuds.

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 1834 - 25/05/2016 12:59:19    1858464

Link

I cannot understand Gary Reynolds "we all eat the same spuds" interview. What is he talking about? Just last week he said he has no interest playing a B championship as they would never get to play their neighbours like Roscommon, yet after the hammering Sunday he is saying that we will never progress as a county without more games. Does he expect us to progress even though we loose? Yeah he says that Tyrone or Dublin have played 5 or 6 games a year but that because they keep winning their games. What about the likes of Longford or Carlow that loose their two games every year too they are in the same position as us, he should no be comparing us to Tyrone or Dublin.
Its quite simple, restructure the championship to two tiers, with group stages with round robbing to increase championship games. Leitrim, along with the other poorer counties need to accept that they are wasting their time and money fielding teams in the current set up. ITS TIME FOR CHANGE

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 285 - 25/05/2016 13:00:50    1858466

Link

If that's the case Harleys, we might as well give up. That's some attitude to have..... Instead it we would be better off asking ourselves what we can do to help the players achieve their goals. Leitrim football is going nowhere unless everyone gets behind the team and by everyone I mean clubs, supporters and the county board. Everyone needs to do more. It's tough enough already for a footballer to practically give up their life to play football.

Also, Croke Park could greatly assist with resources. How in gods name is Leitrim supposed to compete with the financial resources that the likes of Dublin have? They are one step off being professional. That being said, we also need to help ourselves but you can only go to the same pot in the county so many times. Also, I hear people giving out about the county board, those people need to step up to the plate and get involved or otherwise nothing will certainly change. It can be done. Things can change. But nothing will change if no one is prepared to get stuck in.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 124 - 25/05/2016 17:23:15    1858592

Link