Leitrim Forum

News players for Leitrim Senior Panel 2014

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Mulligan captain again next year even doe hes not taking part in any trials! Its not good enough

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 31/10/2013 15:43:26    1507829

Link

Some household names there uni

Could London contest yet another connacht final

If they do maybe this time the referee might actually allow the goals they score

LONDAIN ABU

@villatown it's Halloween not April fool's! So come off it

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 31/10/2013 18:11:51    1507897

Link

Is the captain of leitrim not a carrick player,they are county champions.The last few years the captain has been from the county champions.

saintly (Leitrim) - Posts: 536 - 31/10/2013 21:15:03    1507972

Link

Robert Lowe would deserve the title

He pit in an amazing year club and county

And apart from conor Beirne and Kevin conlon

He is the only other forward we have

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 01/11/2013 13:44:21    1508083

Link

@94allstar youre always bias towards carrick players. i wonder why that is? stop raving about robbie lowe! yes he had a good year for club but county im not so sure! he had an ok year

bucko71 (Leitrim) - Posts: 74 - 01/11/2013 15:52:14    1508164

Link

I read in the paper that Mulligan was going to be captain again this year! Why not leave it up to the manager or players themselves to decide?

Villatown (Leitrim) - Posts: 892 - 01/11/2013 17:33:41    1508215

Link

There are a few players in Leitrim who have undoubted ability but a very questionable attitude/desire/commitment.
Many players in Leitrim are put on a pedestal from a young age, much is expected of them, then drink gets them. And that is defended by supporters here.
Every club have players that locals will say is good enough to be a county star. We have a tendency to boost our own lads up. But, Dublin is a different stratosphere to us and anyone who thinks different is...not watching enough football. There is enough time in life to drink when football is over. Only very few opportunities to try and win a connacht title though.
I was at a few final round of league games and one thing that struck me was that a few old heads in different clubs stood out for their physicality and attitude. Club football in Leitrim is not physical enough to be successful.
Leitrim have only won a connacht title with 15-20 lads who are extremely committed to it. We need a panel of committed players who are willing to go all out from now till summer. Look at Dublin/Mayo/Donegal.

LeitrimLover (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 04/11/2013 17:29:22    1509172

Link

LeitrimLover your analysis of the situation is spot on. I think even with this current crop giving 100% to the cause, the actual prize they can realistically attain is promotion from Div 4 and maybe a win in the Championship next year whether V Ross or the qualifiers. They are a panel of very average players at best so it is imperative that we start developing the young kids now so that in 5/10/15 years time we are still not harping on about the lack of quality players in the county. With the present pool we can do better but probably not a whole lot so I think Hagan has inherited a job with really no great prospects unless he unearths a few gems we didn't have before. Wrynn would certainly be a boost, Conor Farrell, John Mulligan also.From watching the Championship at club level we have no great game changers and no manager can turn a team like that into contenders.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 862 - 04/11/2013 18:06:54    1509190

Link

A tendency to boost lads up?

There are lads here who reckon Conor Beirne would walk onto the dublin team.

Spot on last two posts.

From what I hear the manager has been received very positively by clubs, players. All we can hope for is to return to being more competitive and hopefully challenge for league promotion.

Hudhastings (Leitrim) - Posts: 87 - 06/11/2013 10:12:55    1509738

Link

Conor Beirne is probably the inly leitrim player that would get a look in with Dublin

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 06/11/2013 10:41:00    1509750

Link

Terrific footballer but needs to show it at senior inter county level. Apart from a well taken goal against Sligo in 2011 I haven't seen enough of the man in a Leitrim shirt to concur with 94's assessment. I genuinely hope that will change next year.

northernsoul (Leitrim) - Posts: 78 - 06/11/2013 13:07:51    1509841

Link

is there any word on the outcome of the county trials or are they still going on?

bucko71 (Leitrim) - Posts: 74 - 06/11/2013 14:39:18    1509932

Link

I agree with northernsoul. Youŕe blowing smoke again 94. He looked a great prospect in 2011, but he's been dropped twice from the squad since he scored that goal against Sligo. Lets see if he lasts a full inter-county season and then you can blow your trumpet. If he plays/fulfills his potential we'll all be singing his praise.

offyertrolley (Leitrim) - Posts: 131 - 06/11/2013 14:43:26    1509937

Link

Conor beirne is class full stop! Our only hope any of ye at inter final r was part of d 2/3 dat had 2 mark him wud know dis!

I herd a lot new faces hickey rooney mulligan farell murphy wrynn n Shane Quinn called n i tink. dey all young rite move by ur man IMO!

Piratehooker (Leitrim) - Posts: 197 - 06/11/2013 15:57:08    1509969

Link

Are the Beirnes committing to the panel for this year ahead does anyone know?

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 436 - 06/11/2013 16:17:39    1509982

Link

I don't know yet jimmy I was going to ask you

Lads it took 6 manor players to actually hang out of conor Beirne in the county final and he still scored 2.06

And he put it up to manor in the hurling always does

Any county game conor Beirne played this year he scored and is our best freetaker

Anyone who played along side him or watched him will second that

Had he been there to kick the 45 against London it would have been a score

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 06/11/2013 16:54:54    1510004

Link

Make the Dublin team, are you off your rocker, Dean Rock and Kevin McMenamin can't make it and you think on the back of an Intermediate final display against Manor's second team which he managed to be still on the losing side that is enough to evaluate him that highly. For him to fulfil his undoubted potential he has to take it a lot more serious or he will go down like many a Leitrim footballer before him, more hype about what he can do without ever doing it. I am around the county too long to see the great white hopes of Leitrim making no progress from their underage careers to start jumping on this bandwagon.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 862 - 06/11/2013 18:48:25    1510064

Link

Just on that point about making the Dublin team Paul Flynn is probably on of the best in the game at the minute

For club and county he scored the equaliser Sunday in extratime against ballymun and today after last nights game in Parnell park Vincent's are senior champion's

A huge shock for ballymun who put up a great display and were tipped to win the club allireland this coming Patrick's day

If we had one or 2 Paul flynns on the leitrim team Sean Hagan would be aiming for a division 1 final instead of div 4

So the point of this post is maybe some of our own lads should follow gym programmes the same as Paul Flynn dean rock Bernard brogan Michael d McCauley

It might boost our power and energy levels and make us competitive again

It's not hard to follow a fitness conditioning programme set targets and try and beat your own target

The diet is also a bog thing including protein and creatine

If this was done right leitrim could step out of the 1880s era and into today's game confident of taking on big names

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 07/11/2013 16:16:59    1510461

Link

As far as im concerned the jury is out on Conor Beirne until he proves himself att he highest level either consistantly for Leitrim or at a grade higher tha Intermediate/ junior Leitrim football.
Ive watched him and he looks a talent but if he is not interested in fulfilling his potential or playing for Leitrim then leave the kid alone. Its an ameature sport at the end of the day so lets not force lads to do something they may not want to do.

Frawnci3 (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 07/11/2013 16:57:36    1510499

Link

Just on that point about making the Dublin team Paul Flynn is probably on of the best in the game at the minute

For club and county he scored the equaliser Sunday in extratime against ballymun and today after last nights game in Parnell park Vincent's are senior champion's

A huge shock for ballymun who put up a great display and were tipped to win the club allireland this coming Patrick's day

If we had one or 2 Paul flynns on the leitrim team Sean Hagan would be aiming for a division 1 final instead of div 4

So the point of this post is maybe some of our own lads should follow gym programmes the same as Paul Flynn dean rock Bernard brogan Michael d McCauley

It might boost our power and energy levels and make us competitive again

It's not hard to follow a fitness conditioning programme set targets and try and beat your own target

The diet is also a bog thing including protein and creatine

If this was done right leitrim could step out of the 1880s era and into today's game confident of taking on big names

94allstar (Leitrim) - Posts: 1737 - 07/11/2013 18:03:12    1510526

Link